inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why the US market ignores most artists from Continental Europe

Written By: <3the80s on 08/21/12 at 7:25 am

I've always wondered why most bands and artists from Continental Europe have a hard time breaking into UK and US markets? Even if you are an UK artist, you might have troubles with becoming popular in the US. Just go back to the 80's and listen to some dance songs from Europe released then. If they were made by American artists, they'd become bigger hits as some of them have nice melodies and beats. And a few even have quite nice lyrics, too. yet, they're totally, utterly obscure. Another example - an otherwise obscure European pop-rock band will forever be remembered by US and UK audiences for... staring in a Dire Straits video. Why is that? How can a (Continental) European band/artist make it big in the US/UK markets? Even if they make it big, in 99% of the cases it's a one-off hit and they soon become one-hit wonders.

Subject: Re: Why the US market ignores most artists from Continental Europe

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/21/12 at 8:37 am

I think it's because those songs are usually sung in languages other than English. When these songs do break through, it's typically in a one hit wonder sense. The only exception seems to be if the group comes from Sweden and sings in English like ABBA, the A-Teens or Ace of Base.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/12 at 6:55 pm

I always thought it was because they sucked.  :P

One continental band that made it big in the US of A was Golden Earring from The Netherlands.  Those guys rocked hard, with hits like "Radar Love", "Twilight Zone", and "Candy's Going Bad" to name just a few.    8)

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/12 at 7:22 pm

Some bands and artists from the UK and Europe have an easier time breaking into Canada than the United States I've noticed.  Maybe it's because the Queen's face is on the Canadian $20 bill? lol

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/22/12 at 2:21 pm

One word, radio.

Radio programming for American has always been biased toward the corporate record industry profitability assessment.

Many great, successful and talented music artists are passed over because they don’t fit into the pre-packaged “box” that the empty-headed, unimaginative record execs and radio programmers here in the good ole’ USA have set up.

Most of European music doesn’t fall into the realm of Americanized radio, so it simply doesn’t get picked up on our radio to hear. The radio programmers are so tied to what the record companies are pushing and have already boxed up, that they dare not break format to play something new and/or different for us to hear. Its not profitable for them if they can’t sell ads around it and the record companies don’t support the music if they can sell it too.

Say thanks to Clear Channel and others like it for the state of American radio today. That’s why we have SOO much crap like Justin Bieber and Milely Cyrus that’s considered music on the radio now.

Try internet and college/independent radio (if you can find it on the dial) if you want to hear something different or from Europe.

Written By: Henk on 08/22/12 at 4:22 pm

As do 99.9% of American artists - which doesn't stop THEM from flooding Hot 100 and the rest of the world. :P

One continental band that made it big in the US of A was Golden Earring from The Netherlands.  Those guys rocked hard, with hits like "Radar Love", "Twilight Zone", and "Candy's Going Bad" to name just a few.    8)

"made it big"..?  :-\\ I disagree. Granted - they've had a handful of hits in the US of A, although three of those didn't even reach #75 position in the Hot 100. But that's just laughable compared to the 46 Top 40 hits they've had over here, 27 of which even made Top 10!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/12 at 6:11 pm

"made it big"..?  :-\\ I disagree. Granted - they've had a handful of hits in the US of A, although three of those didn't even reach #75 position in the Hot 100. But that's just laughable compared to the 46 Top 40 hits they've had over here, 27 of which even made Top 10!

Golden Earring was pimpin' in the early 1970's.  During 1973 and 1974 when they were touring the USA on the success of their Moontan album, Kiss and Aerosmith were their opening acts.  8)

Radar Love made #13 on the Billboard Singles chart, and Twilight Zone made #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart.  Candy's Going Bad only made #91 though.  :P

I wish they'd release their latest single, "Still Got the Keys to my First Cadillac" here across the pond.

These guys have been out there kicking ass since 1961.  That's one year BEFORE the Rolling Stones got into the biz.  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/23/12 at 2:29 am

The music industry had always been thoroughly corrupt.  As Gumbypiz says, the best you can do is turn off the large commercial stations and listen to college stations and those very few independents and internet stations. It is easier now than way back in the sixties when Radio Caroline and other "pirate" stations were playing music and getting chased about and raided.

Written By: Creeder on 08/23/12 at 2:47 am

The music industry is so much better developed in the US, that it is impossible for Europe to compete. And also many european pop stars just try to copy the americans and it doesn't work. Also americans just like to hear their own music (and British, Canadian and Australian, but they are in the same anglo-saxon culture)

Written By: <3the80s on 08/23/12 at 4:31 am

Yeah, right! Like Ke$ha, the Pussicat Dolls, Rebecca Black don't suck. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...