inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Facebook slowly dying off?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/21/12 at 10:36 am

I'm bored of Facebook and I'm on much less than before and I don't hear about it as much as from 2009 or 2010. Is it slowly fading and will it die off soon? Or am I just getting older and not looking at it the same way I used to and not relying on it anymore? When do you think Facebook will die?

Subject: Re: Is Facebook slowly dying off?

Written By: slim on 08/21/12 at 11:45 am

Well I remember Myspace was huge from 2005-early 2008? Maybe Facebook will die off in early 2014, maybe even a little earlier.

Written By: Creeder on 08/21/12 at 11:53 am

Facebook is too much into our culture that it can't die. Can television die? Or can youtube die? Of course not.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/21/12 at 12:18 pm

Facebook is too much into our culture that it can't die. Can television die? Or can youtube die? Of course not.

It is super easy for a form of social media to die, it's not like television or the Internet. YouTube can easily die! what do you mean by that? All you have to do is popularize another video site that is more better and functional than YouTube and there you go, it can fade as easy as that unlike television which is different as it is it's own form of entertainment. As a matter of fact, YouTube in a few years probably will be replaced with something better like all social media sites do. If you said "Can social media die?, No" I would understand as it is part of our culture and will not go away anytime soon. But YouTube and Facebook are simply sites that can and will be replaced with something bigger and better. Facebook can die really easily like MySpace and there is no question that it will sometime in the future, the only question is when? I wonder when another invention of Social Media will take over Facebook (It's very easy to occur, like the conversion from MySpace to Facebook) I'm sure back then people said MySpace will never die and while it's not dead yet, nobody really uses it anymore. Google+ seems to be doing a good job though.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/12 at 6:28 pm

Exactly Creeder just like Myspace, Facebook Twitter and Google Plus have all been a part of our social life. People find a way to communicate with one another. Just like this board.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/12 at 6:52 pm

Exactly Creeder just like Myspace, Facebook Twitter and Google Plus have all been a part of our social life. People find a way to communicate with one another. Just like this board.

And retroworldnow.com

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/12 at 7:38 pm

And retroworldnow.com

That was apart of the world's social life?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/12 at 7:45 pm

That was apart of the world's social life?

Not was, but Is.

retroworld.com is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Jquar on 08/21/12 at 8:07 pm

I don't use Facebook quite as much personally as I did around 2010 and neither do most of my friends. But I know of people that still post every day and basically live on Facebook. I think the novelty will wear off with groups of people but as a whole it'll remain really widely used for a long time. It's not like Myspace which was almost exclusively just a site for 13-18 year olds.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/12 at 8:35 pm

Not was, but Is.

retroworld.com is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about that page, but I sure like that girl on the page ...

http://i.nuseek.com/images/template/360x318/ist2_746781_female_student.jpg

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/21/12 at 8:36 pm

From my own perspective, I see no indication of Facebook's popularity waning. I hope it doesn't go anywhere, either. I love Facebook.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/12 at 12:17 am

Employers are asking for employees' personal accounts.  I want nothing to do with it.  I am minimizing the amount of personal information on dump on the Internet.  I don't trust anybody whose goal is power or money.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/12 at 7:24 am

I don't use Facebook quite as much personally as I did around 2010 and neither do most of my friends. But I know of people that still post every day and basically live on Facebook. I think the novelty will wear off with groups of people but as a whole it'll remain really widely used for a long time. It's not like Myspace which was almost exclusively just a site for 13-18 year olds.

It's a social connection that people want.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/12 at 7:26 am

Employers are asking for employees' personal accounts.  I want nothing to do with it.  I am minimizing the amount of personal information on dump on the Internet.  I don't trust anybody whose goal is power or money.

employers want to spy on employees.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/22/12 at 7:53 am

I've known a few people who have joined facebook just in the last couple months. I'd say that the "must check out everything Facebook has to offer" era that 2007-mid 2011 is is behind us, but Facebook will still be around for awhile since it contains a user interface that few social media sites can match or duplicate. The only way I see Facebook die is if something comes along and merges Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Pinterest, and other Social sites together under a new name. People just are feeling that the world and even Internet is more than just Facebook.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/12 at 11:27 pm

I want to look at everybody else's, but I don't want to show anybody mine.
:-[

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/23/12 at 6:45 am

Facebook itself will stick around but the trend of posting 20 status updates a day has been dying down (thank God!). I remember being more into it around 2009-ish, posting everything that was on my mind. Well, even then I was careful with what information I shared.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/12 at 7:06 am

Facebook itself will stick around but the trend of posting 20 status updates a day has been dying down (thank God!). I remember being more into it around 2009-ish, posting everything that was on my mind. Well, even then I was careful with what information I shared.

Facebook has been more of a hangout over the past couple of years.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/23/12 at 10:38 am

Facebook is still pretty popular. I guess just because people don't talk about it 24/7, doesn't mean that it's not popular.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 12:50 pm

In Germany, Facebook is the thing everybody is talking about. It gained big popularity since the turn of the decade over here. I don't think it's dying too soon.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/12 at 2:18 pm

So what will be the next social hangout after Facebook?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/23/12 at 3:36 pm

So what will be the next social hangout after Facebook?

Google + Probably

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 3:53 pm

Google + Probably

Has Google+ anything to offer what Facebook does not?

I am pretty sure I'll never sign up on Google+.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/23/12 at 4:05 pm

I actually prefer it over Facebook. Better privacy, more functional, etc. The only problem is there is not enough people on it so it seems that I'm on FB more than Google+ because it's still used more. But I have high hopes for G+ regardless.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/23/12 at 11:44 pm

I want to look at everybody else's, but I don't want to show anybody mine. :-[

Welcome to the world of the social graph, where
Thousands of people (watching)
Millions of targets (out of)
Billions of people (in order to protect)
Trillions of dollars (by archiving)
Quadrillions of bytes.

I'm probably off (up or down) by three orders of magnitude on all any or all five of those.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/24/12 at 1:38 am

I actually prefer it over Facebook. Better privacy, more functional, etc. The only problem is there is not enough people on it so it seems that I'm on FB more than Google+ because it's still used more. But I have high hopes for G+ regardless.

Google+ is what helped Facebook improve to what it is now, as far as the privacy setting of allowing the user to choose which friends or group of friends information can be shared with. I still prefer Google+'s default setting of sharing with "no one" until you choose which friends or "circles" of friends to share it with each time you post. With Facebook, it seems to be the opposite where it shares with all your friends until you choose who NOT to share it with, or you can choose lists. It just seems like FB is more tedious.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/12 at 6:54 am

It's like a social thing, You add pictures to your social circle and chat with them.

Written By: Macaroni Man on 08/26/12 at 4:14 pm

In my school - scratch that - around the state, last year there seemed to be a cult movement towards Twitter, and now it's definitely spread to pretty much everyone.  It's getting harder and harder to find anyone on Facebook that I want to chat with.  And I don't like it.  Twitter has nothing worthwhile that Facebook doesn't, and Facebook is an easy place to get your social stuff, news, drama, AND funny pictures (unlike Twitter) all in one place.  I still use Twitter (signed up #BEFOREitwascool I might add), but more as a fan thing than familiar social networking.  I guess it can be explained because the simplicity of Twitter works better for mobiles and tablets, which everyone uses more often than actual computers since everyone's never at home (two other things I wonder why about).

But it's reassuring that most of you don't seem to think it's dying, so this is just a local thing. 

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/27/12 at 8:32 pm

It does seem kind of slow there lately.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/28/12 at 1:45 am

In my school - scratch that - around the state, last year there seemed to be a cult movement towards Twitter, and now it's definitely spread to pretty much everyone.  It's getting harder and harder to find anyone on Facebook that I want to chat with.  And I don't like it.  Twitter has nothing worthwhile that Facebook doesn't, and Facebook is an easy place to get your social stuff, news, drama, AND funny pictures (unlike Twitter) all in one place.  I still use Twitter (signed up #BEFOREitwascool I might add), but more as a fan thing than familiar social networking.  I guess it can be explained because the simplicity of Twitter works better for mobiles and tablets, which everyone uses more often than actual computers since everyone's never at home (two other things I wonder why about).

But it's reassuring that most of you don't seem to think it's dying, so this is just a local thing.

I hardly ever go on Twitter because all it is is the one thing I can't stand about Facebook: status updates. I just don't care about what people are having for dinner or when they are going to bed. I think Paris Hilton started the trend of posting every single tonight, "Good night my FB/Twitter fans!"

All I ever post on FB now is pictures, and sharing jokes/funny pics, and occasionally checking in when I'm somewhere special (like an airport when I'm on vacation).

Written By: belmont22 on 08/28/12 at 11:17 am

I think FB is here to stay, just like Amazon, Google, Yahoo etc have all lasted so long. Maybe the 2030s or so it will start to lose popularity.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/28/12 at 1:23 pm

Maybe the 2030s or so it will start to lose popularity.

Wow, the 30's?  :o

God only knows what we'll be using then. I doubt that it still will be Facebook. That's 17 years from know - remember what huge development we had in the last 17 years.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/12 at 7:34 pm

I think FB is here to stay, just like Amazon, Google, Yahoo etc have all lasted so long. Maybe the 2030s or so it will start to lose popularity.

20 years from now?  ::)

Written By: belmont22 on 08/29/12 at 6:34 am

Wow, the 30's?  :o

God only knows what we'll be using then. I doubt that it still will be Facebook. That's 17 years from know - remember what huge development we had in the last 17 years.

I just can't imagine anything replacing it honestly. The only way I can see it dying is if Twitter becomes more complex, or if they keep f***ing up and changing their format and it alienates people for good.

Written By: Creeder on 08/29/12 at 4:45 pm

Everyone knows facebook (ok, 90% of earths population) and billions are using it actively. If it dies its gonna take decades. Myspace was known only to the emo teens of USA, it was nothing like the social media facebook is.

Written By: Starde on 08/29/12 at 5:50 pm

Everyone knows facebook (ok, 90% of earths population) and billions are using it actively. If it dies its gonna take decades. Myspace was known only to the emo teens of USA, it was nothing like the social media facebook is.

Don't know if Myspace only appealed to emo teens of the mid 2000s, but I pretty much agree with you. Myspace (and a lot of other social media websites) WISHES it was as popular as Facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm1rZUjAm64

LOL!

Written By: Howard on 08/29/12 at 7:39 pm

Facebook is so popular it can never die off.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/02/12 at 11:09 am

Facebook is so popular it can never die off.

I highly doubt that. It for sure decreased in popularity. I think it's peak was 2007-2009. It will probably die out sometime this decade. Or at least share the same status as MySpace.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/12 at 2:43 pm

I think it's peak was 2007-2009.

Are you joking?  ::)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/02/12 at 2:49 pm

I'd say the peak was more like '08-'10

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/12 at 2:55 pm

As long as the amount of worldwide active users is not declining, we're not even at it's peak.

What was facebook about in 2007? It was maybe big in the US, but that's it.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/12 at 3:01 pm

This is actually quite interesting:

http://forecastingtool.webs.com/Facebook%20active%20users.png
From: http://www.forecastingnet.com/apps/blog/show/6466994-facebook-active-users-forecast

I don't see a peak yet, and definetly not anywhere near or in the 2000's-decade.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/12 at 3:07 pm

I highly doubt that. It for sure decreased in popularity. I think it's peak was 2007-2009. It will probably die out sometime this decade. Or at least share the same status as MySpace.

So Inland what will be the next Facebook?  ???

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/03/12 at 1:44 pm

Sorry I'm wrong I guess. I don't know I just have a feeling Facebook will end up like all the other Social Networking sites from before like MySpace. Then again, Facebook is much bigger and more widely used than MySpace ever was or any other social networking sites.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/03/12 at 1:47 pm

I just can't imagine anything replacing it honestly. The only way I can see it dying is if Twitter becomes more complex, or if they keep f***ing up and changing their format and it alienates people for good.

Well it just takes another company to monopolize it. Have everything Facebook has just with even more features and then it becomes more popular. Same with YouTube. People will eventually get bored. I know I am..

Written By: Howard on 09/03/12 at 3:06 pm

Well it just takes another company to monopolize it. Have everything Facebook has just with even more features and then it becomes more popular. Same with YouTube. People will eventually get bored. I know I am..

I'm not bored with Youtube been using it for 7 years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/03/12 at 5:10 pm

Sorry I'm wrong I guess. I don't know I just have a feeling Facebook will end up like all the other Social Networking sites from before like MySpace. Then again, Facebook is much bigger and more widely used than MySpace ever was or any other social networking sites.

When Facebook took over in Germany around 2009/10, our local social networking sites started to die.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/03/12 at 5:12 pm

Same with YouTube. People will eventually get bored. I know I am..

Maybe that's due to a generational difference: Y vs. Z.

I am not bored of it. Youtube is not only for entertainment. It's a tool and information source which never becomes boring.  ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/03/12 at 5:20 pm

I am not bored of it. Youtube is not only for entertainment. It's a tool and information source which never becomes boring.  ;D

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I mean I was bored of Facebook. I'm not bored of YouTube either. While it's not as good as before Google took over, it is by far my favorite social media site and I am far from bored of it.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/12 at 6:53 am

and don't forget Dailymotion too.

Written By: tatertawt24 on 09/19/12 at 2:47 pm

Its not that Facebook is dying, its just that its not the cool thing anymore. People still use it, people know what it is, but its not a fad like it was. The fun and simple things that made Facebook cool people have gotten bored of, the it factor is gone - its simply run it course. I have to admit I will miss the bumper stickers, sending people flair, arranging my corkboard, people taking personality quizzes, fan pages etc.  :-[ All those features are still there, its just that its not fresh anymore - so its not as exciting.

Its time for a new exciting social site with all the cool apps and stuff like facebook. I love Twitter, but it doesn't have as many ~possibilities~

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:40 pm

people just need to find something other than Facebook.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 10:20 pm

I think Facebook will end up lasting at least 20 years like Ebay, Amazon etc are now close to doing.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/12 at 2:16 am

I think Facebook will end up lasting at least 20 years like Ebay, Amazon etc are now close to doing.

eBay and Amazon are online shops which are more or less a neccessity in today's way of life. You can't really compare that with social networks which are probably just a fad.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 7:10 am

So what are they gonna with all those 2 million people? ???

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/12 at 8:28 am

So what are they gonna with all those 2 million people? ???

Didn't you mean 'billion' ?  ???

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 3:42 pm

Didn't you mean 'billion' ?  ???

Right I meant billion.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/12/12 at 8:25 am

No way, it's not a fad. Though they can lose their audience if they continue to needlessly change it.

Check for new replies or respond here...