inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: USA USA USA - Next week shouldn't the Dems chant this, too??

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/01/12 at 1:01 pm

I mean, it really gets me perturbed that "USA USA USA" was chanted by the Republican audience, as if "Rebuplican = Patriot"  "Romney = American"  They don't get to own the United States!  Well, yes, that IS what they are trying to do, but....   

So if the audience at the Democratic convention chants "USA USA USA," will people think that they are in favor of Romney, then?  NO NO NO, we can't let people think that "Republicans = Americans!"  It's like, when we were in Iraq, everyone in favor of our being there had a freakin' American Flag decal etc on their car.  Hey, it's MY flag, too, I kept thinking.  >:(

Well, that's BS!!    Well, *I* think the Democratic audience should chant "USA USA USA" too, and that will make the point, right then and there.  But then again.....

So what does everyone think about a solution to this? Should the Democrats just let "USA" mean "REPUBLICAN" from now on, without a fight??      8-P 

Give it your best thought!!  Hit me with your best shot, fire awaaaayyy!!!    ;D

Subject: Re: USA USA USA - Next week shouldn't the Dems chant this, too??

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/01/12 at 2:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWd__Edo60

That's me! Says it all. "I am a patriot, and I love my country, because this country is all I know!"  And it's a good place for ME!! anyway!

And that's the story!  And there are many great things about this country, in spite of its problems.

LOVE this song  :-*  .... only... they can't sing it at the convention, because they sing, "I ain't no Democrat..." as part of it, and that the only party they subscribe to is "Freedom."  Song written by Townes Van Zandt  and sung by the Burns Sisters.

Written By: warped on 09/01/12 at 2:47 pm

I mean, it really gets me perturbed that "USA USA USA" was chanted by the Republican audience, as if "Rebuplican = Patriot"  "Romney = American"  They don't get to own the United States!  Well, yes, that IS what they are trying to do, but....   

So if the audience at the Democratic convention chants "USA USA USA," will people think that they are in favor of Romney, then?  NO NO NO, we can't let people think that "Republicans = Americans!"  It's like, when we were in Iraq, everyone in favor of our being there had a freakin' American Flag decal etc on their car.  Hey, it's MY flag, too, I kept thinking.  >:(

Well, that's BS!!    Well, *I* think the Democratic audience should chant "USA USA USA" too, and that will make the point, right then and there.  But then again.....

So what does everyone think about a solution to this? Should the Democrats just let "USA" mean "REPUBLICAN" from now on, without a fight??      8-P 

Give it your best thought!!  Hit me with your best shot, fire awaaaayyy!!!    ;D

Again, I'm not an American, but the last thing the Democrats want to do is copy anything the GOP has done recently. (If they bring out Clinton and have him talk to an empty chair, I'm outta here  ;D)

What I wish they'd do is bring out some troubled schizophrenic guy is a straight jacket walk by and have him casually start arguing with an empty chair...just before they cut to a commercial. 

Seriously, The Dem's just need to follow their game plan and do their business...do what they need to do. With what is on the other side, I don't think there is any way they can lose.  If they wanna shout USA USA, go ahead…why not?  The Dem's are the only party that speak for ALL of USA (rich, middle, poor class)

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/02/12 at 5:58 am

Again, I'm not an American, but the last thing the Democrats want to do is copy anything the GOP has done recently. (If they bring out Clinton and have him talk to an empty chair, I'm outta here  ;D)

What I wish they'd do is bring out some troubled schizophrenic guy is a straight jacket walk by and have him casually start arguing with an empty chair...just before they cut to a commercial. 

Seriously, The Dem's just need to follow their game plan and do their business...do what they need to do. With what is on the other side, I don't think there is any way they can lose.  If they wanna shout USA USA, go ahead…why not?  The Dem's are the only party that speak for ALL of USA (rich, middle, poor class)

Ya, you are prolly right. That sounds more rational than what I was thinking. (except for the guy in the straight jacket! lol)  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/12 at 9:00 am

The Democrats believe in diversity so you can chant whatever country you want.  It doesn't have much of a rhythm to it, but at least it's sensitive to other people's feelings!
:D

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/02/12 at 12:56 pm

HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND EVERYBODY!!!!    :)

Written By: Howard on 09/02/12 at 3:10 pm

Happy Labor Day.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/02/12 at 5:13 pm

Ditto.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/02/12 at 9:02 pm

Well, that's BS!!    Well, *I* think the Democratic audience should chant "USA USA USA" too, and that will make the point, right then and there.  But then again...

Ah, no, you're reading way more into this than there actually is.  It's a Western tradition at political events/protests - regardless of party - when attempting to shout down disruptors.  If I recall, this particular incident at the RNC was when a bunch of RON PAUL!!1!1 delegates had started to get a little ornery.  The rest of the crowd just started chanting "USA! USA!" to drown them out. 

Other alternatives include singing the national anthem (which I've seen done in Canada and in the UK), and in the USA, come to think of it.

Okay, but what does that have to do with anything? (Confound that DMCA!)

Actually, Benatar's taunt is closer to reality than what you were aiming for.

It's basically the political equivalent of a rap battle. Nothing's actually resolved, but having two opposing groups in the same room gleefully trying to out-chant or out-sing each other, is a lot more polite/friendly than the alternative of, say, fisticuffs or riots. The majority gets to have a chuckle at the expense of the minority, and while the minority might be annoyed at having lost, but they're usually good enough sports to STFU when they realize they're outnumbered 10-to-1. 

If you're manning a drone and the opposition exists only as pixels on a video screen, you might want to the "SMITE" button. If your opposition is in the same building, you might want to call security and have 'bro tazed. If your opposition is going to be sitting in the seat next to you for the rest of the afternoon, the most likely outcome is a whispered "Dude, what's up with that, we gave you Paul Ryan, he used to be a Randroid, what more did you want?" followed by a little political discussion during the next guy's speech. Very little gets resolved by this either, but it's just possible that both sides might at least be exposed to the other side's point of view.

Nobody said the First Amendment had to be pretty. The right to speak doesn't impose an obligation on anyone to listen.

Written By: warped on 09/03/12 at 2:04 pm

Ditto.  :)

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1209/national-empty-chair-day-national-empty-chair-day-politics-1346668699.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/03/12 at 3:04 pm

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1209/national-empty-chair-day-national-empty-chair-day-politics-1346668699.jpg

Should we start talking to one?

Written By: warped on 09/03/12 at 4:22 pm

Should we start talking to one?

Only if you want to act like a senile Clint Eastwood  ;D ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/12 at 6:56 pm

At the fascist homecoming pep rally the cheerleaders would yell to the stands,

"What's the spirit?"

And I would yell

"F****K YOU!"
:D

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/04/12 at 1:08 am

Ah, no, you're reading way more into this than there actually is.  It's a Western tradition at political events/protests - regardless of party - when attempting to shout down disruptors.  If I recall, this particular incident at the RNC was when a bunch of RON PAUL!!1!1 delegates had started to get a little ornery.  The rest of the crowd just started chanting "USA! USA!" to drown them out. 

Other alternatives include singing the national anthem (which I've seen done in Canada and in the UK), and in the USA, come to think of it.

Okay, but what does that have to do with anything? (Confound that DMCA!)

Actually, Benatar's taunt is closer to reality than what you were aiming for.

It's basically the political equivalent of a rap battle. Nothing's actually resolved, but having two opposing groups in the same room gleefully trying to out-chant or out-sing each other, is a lot more polite/friendly than the alternative of, say, fisticuffs or riots. The majority gets to have a chuckle at the expense of the minority, and while the minority might be annoyed at having lost, but they're usually good enough sports to STFU when they realize they're outnumbered 10-to-1. 

If you're manning a drone and the opposition exists only as pixels on a video screen, you might want to the "SMITE" button. If your opposition is in the same building, you might want to call security and have 'bro tazed. If your opposition is going to be sitting in the seat next to you for the rest of the afternoon, the most likely outcome is a whispered "Dude, what's up with that, we gave you Paul Ryan, he used to be a Randroid, what more did you want?" followed by a little political discussion during the next guy's speech. Very little gets resolved by this either, but it's just possible that both sides might at least be exposed to the other side's point of view.

Nobody said the First Amendment had to be pretty. The right to speak doesn't impose an obligation on anyone to listen.

"Benatar's taunt" was supposed to be about YOU thinking about the topic and giving it your best thought ("best shot" lol)

I had no clue that they were chanting "USA" for the purposes of interrupting/overwhelming some folks .  If I recall, they chanted it several times, so it must have been thought that several factions needed interruption!    That would not be surprising!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/04/12 at 6:52 am

Only if you want to act like a senile Clint Eastwood  ;D ;)

No, I'm not THAT crazy.  ::)

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/04/12 at 9:51 am

The Republicans just use that chant to reinforce that they are the counterbalance the "widespread" blame-America-first mentality. Its not like they're actually changed anybody's opinion. Especially with everyone attacking their lack of diversity and Mitts continual failures at connecting to anybody.

The democrats have the poor, blacks and immigrants on their side. As long as they can continue to paint the GOP as racist and classist, they don't need chant.

Written By: RG1995 on 09/04/12 at 5:04 pm

They just chanted it.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/12 at 6:15 pm

I have seen it at both Demo and Repub rallies.  The USA chant is one that gets used by all.  Both sides think they know what is best for the country and they both think they are the most patriotic.  There isn't an ulterior motive.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/06/12 at 9:19 pm

I have seen it at both Demo and Repub rallies.  The USA chant is one that gets used by all.  Both sides think they know what is best for the country and they both think they are the most patriotic.  There isn't an ulterior motive.

YES!  I heard them chanting it tonight, much to my delight!!  It's just that I'm belatedly new in the area of being concerned with politics. If I'd been attending to conventions for many years, I might have already known that everyone always chants "USA."  Last election I was very interested in Obama getting elected but I didn't watch the conventions.  In the past, when, in passing, I would see them on TV, the conventions always seemed completely boring, with a lot of politicians droning on and on about things I didn't know much about. Then the Tea Party did what it set out to do. Get people involved!!  Well, they didn't intend to spark interest in the opposite side, but that's what happened with me – knew about our economic disaster, heard what the Tea Party people were saying about it, watched Fox news with disbelief and disgust, followed Randi Rhodes, and that was it!!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...