inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Lady Gaga still popular?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/08/12 at 1:10 am

At least in my area nobody is talking about her anymore and she rarely ever comes on the radio.  However, on decade and music boards such as this one Lady Gaga is still all the rage and is generally used as an example for 'the sound of now'.  Personally, I think she is the sound of 2009 but not the sound of now, but thats just my opinion.  What does everyone here think?

Subject: Re: Is Lady Gaga still popular?

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/08/12 at 2:30 am

She was definitley big in 2009 and 2010 with substantial success in 2008 and 2011 also. It's hard to tell about her now, but there is good and bad about her staying popular.

The bad: She is awful  8-P

The good: The longer she is big in the tenties, the less people will associate her with the noughties decade and the more her and Justin Bieber and the others can be grouped together to make the tenties the "crap mainstream" decade.  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/08/12 at 3:07 am

I think she reached her zenith last year with "Born This Way". But I'm sure when she releases her next album, it will be successful and you'll be hearing about her again. However, if I'm wrong about that, then I think history will remember her as a "00s" artist rather than an early 10s one, since her 2009 stuff will be what people remember most.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/08/12 at 5:42 am

I think she reached her zenith last year with "Born This Way". But I'm sure when she releases her next album, it will be successful and you'll be hearing about her again. However, if I'm wrong about that, then I think history will remember her as a "00s" artist rather than an early 10s one, since her 2009 stuff will be what people remember most.

I really hope that the latter doesn't happen. We don't need to tarnish what built the early-mid 2000s with a lot of the crap that almost ruined the late 2000s. Personally, I'd much rather remember the late 2000s as a time when "I can haz cheezburger?"  LOLcats were popular, the "new" Alice In Chains came onto the music scene, and Wafflepwn uploaded the first "Greatest Freakout Ever"  videos, a series I am still enjoying after seeing 23 and 24 recently.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/12 at 6:54 am

I don't think she's that great.

Written By: Inertia on 09/08/12 at 7:17 am

I don't think she is as popular as she was in the late 2000's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/12 at 10:23 am

"Hole of Glory" was a big hit for her last year.

Written By: Creeder on 09/08/12 at 12:28 pm

And to think that she was the next queen of pop.
If anything Katy Perry deserves that title much more.

Written By: elr on 09/08/12 at 1:22 pm

I think Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears is more deserving of that title that Lady Gaga or Katy Perry.  Christina Aguilera actually has staying power, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry don't.  Actually I predict Lady Gaga's time as being up, and Katy Perry's time as almost up.

Written By: Creeder on 09/08/12 at 1:27 pm

I think Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears is more deserving of that title that Lady Gaga or Katy Perry.  Christina Aguilera actually has staying power, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry don't.  Actually I predict Lady Gaga's time as being up, and Katy Perry's time as almost up.

Britney is the queen of the 2000s and maybe Christina after her. But we're talking about the 2010's and the fight is between GaGa and Katy.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/08/12 at 3:45 pm

Britney is the queen of the 2000s and maybe Christina after her. But we're talking about the 2010's and the fight is between GaGa and Katy.

It's still too early for there to be a 2010s "queen". It's only 2012.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/08/12 at 10:21 pm

Nothing like she used to be even a year ago. I think her peak was late 2008 to early 2011.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/12 at 1:00 am

We'll see.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/12 at 1:04 am

The most popular female singer of the 80s is obviously Madonna. The 90s female artist was Mariah Carey. The 00s was Britney. The 10s so far, I would have to say is Katy Perry.

Written By: TD3000 on 09/09/12 at 2:57 am

My theory is that fans have become more impatient in recent years, making artists easily replaceable. There's only a select few artists that can maintain their popularity after a lengthy hiatus (Eminem being a recent example). Artists like Rihanna and Katy Perry have managed to maintain most, if not all of their relevance because they flood the market with albums and/or singles every year.

I remember reading once that the reason Nelly fell off is because he stayed out the game for too long, which allowed copycat rappers to step in and take his place. Aside from "Just a Dream", he hasn't had anything of note since 2005-ish.

Look at Christina Aguilera. Her first album was in 1999, her second in 2002, and her third in 2006. Her 2nd/3rd albums were very successful despite the long breaks in between. But her fourth album (and her movie) that was released in 2010 was a huge flop. Lady Gaga was the hot thing at the time, while Christina got accused of being a copycat.

Now Gaga herself, the Black Eyed Peas, and others have either taken a break or gone on tour. Now, their latest albums were fairly recent, so they might be OK. But wait too long, and they might find out that their success isn't quite to the level it used to be.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/12 at 7:22 am

Then they should fight for the right of The "Queen Of Pop" moniker.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/12 at 7:38 am

Then they should fight for the right of The "Queen Of Pop" moniker.

Yes.  I think this should be settled in a Celebrity Wrestling match between these two singers.  Winner take all.

Written By: warped on 09/09/12 at 7:49 am

Yes.  I think this should be settled in a Celebrity Wrestling match between these two singers.  Winner take all.

Let’s hope they beat each other badly enough that neither can sing anymore.

(Some might add they were never able to sing in the first place)

Written By: Creeder on 09/09/12 at 11:09 am

Let’s hope they beat each other badly enough that neither can sing anymore.

(Some might add they were never able to sing in the first place)

Katy Perry is great for her genre. And she's the hottest.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/12 at 1:49 pm

in a pudding match.  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/12 at 2:48 pm

in a pudding match.  :D

Yep, I was thinking either that, or spaghetti.  :P

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 5:27 pm

GaGa lost a lot of her popularity because she got too obsessed with being so weird and "different" that mainstream audiences are now weirded out by her. The 13 minute long videos filled with creepy religious imagery or in mental hospitals are a perfect example of this. I liked her when she just made catchy dance pop, in the Born this Way album she just comes across as creepy and the music isn't as catchy. She's a good example of a pop artist that tried to show she's so 'creative' and better than the typical pop artist (in her eyes at least) that she basically aliened a lot of her audience in trying to prove her credentials. It's kinda like when Lil Wayne made that "rock" album that flopped, he tried to prove he's so "creative" then alienated his audience. GaGa could still be massive if she goes back to her 2009 self and tones down the creepy image.

Written By: Starde on 09/10/12 at 7:00 pm

GaGa lost a lot of her popularity because she got too obsessed with being so weird and "different" that mainstream audiences are now weirded out by her. The 13 minute long videos filled with creepy religious imagery or in mental hospitals are a perfect example of this. I liked her when she just made catchy dance pop, in the Born this Way album she just comes across as creepy and the music isn't as catchy. She's a good example of a pop artist that tried to show she's so 'creative' and better than the typical pop artist (in her eyes at least) that she basically aliened a lot of her audience in trying to prove her credentials. It's kinda like when Lil Wayne made that "rock" album that flopped, he tried to prove he's so "creative" then alienated his audience. GaGa could still be massive if she goes back to her 2009 self and tones down the creepy image.

This. I'm not a fan of Gaga, but when I first heard her back in 2008 with "Just Dance", I admit, I liked her because I thought she was new and refreshing. But then she started to quickly get on my nerves when she was everywhere in late 2009 & 2010 and tried so hard to be different, shocking and "creative" to the point that it just became too much. Also, I felt she became a Madonna clone, doing things that Madonna did years before her. I also know friends who were huge fans back in 2009/2010 and now can't stand her. Honestly, I felt it became less about the music and more about her image, which is a shame because I really think she's talented. If you don't think that she is, I recommend watching this video of her performing while in college at NYU, before she became Lady Gaga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM

In my opinion, I think her popularity has gone down (I also think 2009/2010 was her peak), at least at the moment since she hasn't had new material in over a year. I think I heard that she has a new single coming out sometime late this year or earlier next year that, from my understanding of it, might be similar to those from her first album so we'll see how the public responds to it before we completely write her off.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/12 at 7:31 pm

This. I'm not a fan of Gaga, but when I first heard her back in 2008 with "Just Dance", I admit, I liked her because I thought she was new and refreshing. But then she started to quickly get on my nerves when she was everywhere in late 2009 & 2010 and tried so hard to be different, shocking and "creative" to the point that it just became too much. Also, I felt she became a Madonna clone, doing things that Madonna did years before her. I also know friends who were huge fans back in 2009/2010 and now can't stand her. Honestly, I felt it became less about the music and more about her image, which is a shame because I really think she's talented. If you don't think that she is, I recommend watching this video of her performing while in college at NYU, before she became Lady Gaga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM

In my opinion, I think her popularity has gone down (I also think 2009/2010 was her peak), at least at the moment since she hasn't had new material in over a year. I think I heard that she has a new single coming out sometime late this year or earlier next year that, from my understanding of it, might be similar to those from her first album so we'll see how the public responds to it before we completely write her off.

I could end up liking her again if she would come out with catchy stuff like from her first album.  I liked her and Ke$ha's dance pop because it was more adult oriented than Katy Perry or Carly Rae Jepsen.  I also think she overdid the gay icon thing.  When "Born This Way" came out, she was pretty much all gay all the time.  I think that also alienated a lot of straight fans, especially straight guys.  It does go to show though how hard pop culture is to predict years in advance.  Most people when 2010 rang in thought she would be the biggest star of this decade, some were even comparing her to the Beatles in terms of overall influence on popular music and culture.  It couldn't have turned out more different than that.

Written By: Creeder on 09/12/12 at 12:44 am

The most popular female singer of the 80s is obviously Madonna. The 90s female artist was Mariah Carey. The 00s was Britney. The 10s so far, I would have to say is Katy Perry.

Isn't it funny that Jennifer Lopez is the most watched female artist of all time in youtube, with some of her videos being watched almost 600 million times, yet no one consider her to be the queen. :o

Written By: Howard on 09/12/12 at 7:37 am

Isn't it funny that Jennifer Lopez is the most watched female artist of all time in youtube, with some of her videos being watched almost 600 million times, yet no one consider her to be the queen. :o

and she is also a movie actress.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/14/12 at 3:32 am

No. I think "Paparazzi" was her last big hit and she's on her way out. I think 2009-2011 was her time.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/14/12 at 9:04 am

No and I hope it stays that way

Written By: Howard on 09/14/12 at 3:23 pm

No and I hope it stays that way

I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/15/12 at 2:21 am

I agree.

You don't care for her much do you?  ;D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 2:37 am

I agree.

I'm glad there's a solid disliking for Lady Gaga  :) Completely uninspiring

Written By: Creeder on 09/15/12 at 3:50 am

The gay icon thing is so annoying.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 5:13 am

Hey, it's not the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08

Written By: Creeder on 09/15/12 at 5:22 am

Hey, it's not the first time:

I actually prefer the Village People.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/12 at 5:35 am

But she dedicates her performances "to God and the gays".

I wonder why she doesn't mention the lesbians? ???

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/15/12 at 1:34 pm

"gays" would include lesbians

Written By: Howard on 09/15/12 at 3:26 pm

I'm glad there's a solid disliking for Lady Gaga  :) Completely uninspiring

she's overrated. :P

Written By: Howard on 09/15/12 at 3:27 pm

You don't care for her much do you?  ;D

I'd rather see her pose for Playboy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/12 at 4:48 pm

"gays" would include lesbians

Apparently it does not, because you always hear people talking about "gay and lesbian rights".  Theer must be some sort of difference.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 4:51 pm

Apparently it does not, because you always hear people talking about "gay and lesbian rights".  Theer must be some sort of difference.

Lesbian is the female equivalent for those who are getting confused. Just like wife is to husband. Or jugalette for juggalo.

Written By: elr on 09/15/12 at 4:55 pm

she's overrated. :P

I totally agree.

Written By: elr on 09/15/12 at 4:57 pm

Lesbian is the female equivalent for those who are getting confused. Just like wife is to husband. Or jugalette for juggalo.

IMO, there are more confused straight people these days than lesbians.  :P

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 5:00 pm

IMO, there are more confused straight people these days than lesbians.  :P

;D

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 5:52 pm

No but her time was 1999-mid 2003 musically even though she had a couple hits a year or two ago i think. I like "Waiting For Tonight" I have to admit. Nice song.

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 6:02 pm

My theory is that fans have become more impatient in recent years, making artists easily replaceable. There's only a select few artists that can maintain their popularity after a lengthy hiatus (Eminem being a recent example). Artists like Rihanna and Katy Perry have managed to maintain most, if not all of their relevance because they flood the market with albums and/or singles every year.

I remember reading once that the reason Nelly fell off is because he stayed out the game for too long, which allowed copycat rappers to step in and take his place. Aside from "Just a Dream", he hasn't had anything of note since 2005-ish.

Look at Christina Aguilera. Her first album was in 1999, her second in 2002, and her third in 2006. Her 2nd/3rd albums were very successful despite the long breaks in between. But her fourth album (and her movie) that was released in 2010 was a huge flop. Lady Gaga was the hot thing at the time, while Christina got accused of being a copycat.

Now Gaga herself, the Black Eyed Peas, and others have either taken a break or gone on tour. Now, their latest albums were fairly recent, so they might be OK. But wait too long, and they might find out that their success isn't quite to the level it used to be.
Yeah but Nelly(the rapper) he is an 00's artist. I don;t think he fits in with today's music scene. When you cross decade lines its hard to stay relevant unless your U2 or even Madonna, Janet Jackson and Green Day to an extent.

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 6:23 pm

Anyway Lady GaGa her career could go either way being a Cyndi Lauper type in lasting 4 years having moderate success and have her career crash unexpectedly. It could the other way around and have Madonna type of success. I don't think her career has hit bottom or is at a breaking point like Carly Simon's or Heart's(the band) did in the early 80's where their albums would flop a couple times each during that time period. Of course both the artists would come back in the mid to late 80's with Heart having a huge comeback and Carly had her little comeback in 1987.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/15/12 at 7:10 pm

Yeah but Nelly(the rapper) he is an 00's artist. I don;t think he fits in with today's music scene. When you cross decade lines its hard to stay relevant unless your U2 or even Madonna, Janet Jackson and Green Day to an extent.

Yeah Nelly is purely an early 2000s artist

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/12 at 7:13 pm

Well Gaga could do like Madonna or Janet.... Whip out a boob and add another 10 years to her career.  ::)

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 7:24 pm

Well Gaga could do like Madonna or Janet.... Whip out a boob and add another 10 years to her career.  ::)
No Janet really didn't get alot of popularity musically from that incident. The mid to late 00's she really wasn't popular musically at all nor is she popular in the early 10's.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/16/12 at 4:08 pm

A lesbian is simply a gay woman. I'm not sure why gay women get a special term and gay men don't, but that's just the way it is. :D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 4:56 pm

A lesbian is simply a gay woman. I'm not sure why gay women get a special term and gay men don't, but that's just the way it is. :D

Don't gay men get to be called "fruity"?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/16/12 at 5:17 pm

Don't gay men get to be called "fruity"?

well, that would be rather offensive...not to mention it's an adjective and not a noun like "lesbian"

Written By: Howard on 09/16/12 at 5:44 pm

No but her time was 1999-mid 2003 musically even though she had a couple hits a year or two ago i think. I like "Waiting For Tonight" I have to admit. Nice song.

and "Jenny On The Block".

Written By: Howard on 09/16/12 at 5:45 pm

that incident was all an accident, it didn't mean to pop out.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/12 at 5:46 pm

gay is gay no matter how you put it.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 5:48 pm

gay is gay no matter how you put it.

Gay actually means happy  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...