inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If VH1 Made 'I Love 2012'

Written By: belmont22 on 09/08/12 at 10:19 pm

What do you think they would cover?

I would probably say:

YOLO
Skrillexmania
"Call Me Maybe"
The Mayan calendar
The Dark Knight shooting
"We Are Young"

Would be a few things maybe.

Subject: Re: If VH1 Made 'I Love 2012'

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/08/12 at 11:42 pm

I would probably say:

YOLO
Skrillexmania
"Call Me Maybe"
The Mayan calendar
The Dark Knight shooting
"We Are Young"

Yes, all the 2012 predictions. But it's hard to truly tell until the year is over.

Written By: Emman on 09/09/12 at 12:03 am

I wubwubwub *autotune voice*twen twen twenty twelve :D

dubstep(usage in commercials and tv shows too)
12/21/12
Hunger Games
The Avengers
boyband resurgence(The Wanted, One Direction)
summer drought
"Somebody That I Use To Know" by Gotye
Nicki Minaj

Written By: Starde on 09/09/12 at 12:31 am

Basically what you guys have already mentioned. Kinda off topic, but I gotta say, VH1 completely ****ed up when they did "I Love the New Millenium" in 2008 when the decade wasn't even over. That was just so stupid!

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/09/12 at 12:33 am

Basically what you guys have already mentioned. Kinda off topic, but I gotta say, VH1 completely ****ed up when they did "I Love the New Millenium" in 2008 when the decade wasn't even over. That was just so stupid!

To be fair though, with the exception of Alice In Chains releasing "Black Gives Way To Blue" in 2009, I cannot think of much I would talk about in that year that would make me "love the new millenium"

Written By: Starde on 09/09/12 at 1:27 am

To be fair though, with the exception of Alice In Chains releasing "Black Gives Way To Blue" in 2009, I cannot think of much I would talk about in that year that would make me "love the new millenium"

It just didn't make any sense to me to make a nostalgic program about a decade that they were still living in. They should've waited until, at least, the mid 2010s to do that like how they waited until the mid 00's to do I Love the 90's. I just felt it was way too soon to get nostalgic about the 00's in 2008.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/09/12 at 1:59 am

Totally agree on the I Love the New Millennium thing.  The quality of the program was pretty low too from what I recall.  2000 was okay, but by 2005 it was about nothing but strange funny news stories and celebrity gossip while mentioning maybe one music-related thing each year.  Those are usually mentioned, but they were only two segments per year about - not like five or six like it became.

Heck, just looking at the list of things they covered on Wikipedia, they didn't even mention the following (all out by 2007, the last year they covered):

- Emo
- Soulja Boy (love him or hate him, he helped define 2007)
- Come to think of it, Hip-Hop got very little mention despite its massive popularity
- Most of the popular 00s dramas like Lost, Desperate Housewives, House, etc.
- Almost nothing about video games despite them becoming HUGE business with some big mainstream crossovers (Grand Theft Auto, Halo, World of Warcraft, Wii, etc.)

Meanwhile, the following was apparently seen as worthy of inclusion:

- The tv show Fat Actress (never even heard of this before, heck it only had one season)
- The film Grizzly Man
- Pink's "Stupid Girls" song (but not SexyBack, from that same year?)
- The Darkness "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" (the only music mentioned in 2004 - they usually did at least four music segments per year with the other series)
- David Beckham joining the LA Galaxy
- Winoa Ryder shoplifting
- Sharon Stone's husband being bitten by a komodo dragon

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/12 at 7:11 am

Without Layne Staley and Mike Starr, Alice in Chains sux...

Written By: Howard on 09/09/12 at 7:19 am

I agree Starde how could they do something when the decade isn't over in 8 years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/09/12 at 12:14 pm

Yeah, I also agree that making "I Love the New Millennium" too early killed the entire franchise. VH-1 has never made such a series since. They didn't even finish with 2008 and 2009, in which there would have plenty of content for those years. They should have made that series this year at the earliest, and just called it "I Love the 00's".

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/12 at 5:22 pm

It just didn't make any sense to me to make a nostalgic program about a decade that they were still living in. They should've waited until, at least, the mid 2010s to do that like how they waited until the mid 00's to do I Love the 90's. I just felt it was way too soon to get nostalgic about the 00's in 2008.

Agreed.  When they did that, I lost all respect for VH1's "I Love The..." series.  I Love The '90s didn't come out until 2003 or 2004 if I remember correctly and that was acceptable.  2008 was just too soon to do it and much of the defining moments of '00s culture hadn't happened yet.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/12 at 5:51 pm

If VH1 Made 'I Love 2012'

That would give me another reason not to watch VH1

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/09/12 at 6:01 pm

Agreed.  When they did that, I lost all respect for VH1's "I Love The..." series.  I Love The '90s didn't come out until 2003 or 2004 if I remember correctly and that was acceptable.  2008 was just too soon to do it and much of the defining moments of '00s culture hadn't happened yet.

Sure, if you were born in like 2003 and only remember the LATE 00s.  ;D

Basically, what I'd consider quintessential to the era happened 2007 and earlier. Even Twitter was popular before 2008 even started. What was around in 2008 and 2009? Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber? Lady Gaga has about as much stake in the early tenties as the late noughties. Also, Justin Bieber's first album came out around November 2009? (even "Black Gives Way To Blue" by Alice In Chains came out before that month). And 2010 was the prime Justin Bieber year, by then we had a new decade. 

Here's some television that is quintessential to the noughties: Malcolm In The Middle (ended in 2006), Fear Factor (again, ended in 2006), Survivor (well past the golden years by 2008), Pimp My Ride (ended in 2007)

How about albums?: X&Y by Coldplay, a band that not only identifies well with the noughties, but was popular in the early-mid 00s, not just at the end like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. This album is their centerpiece in the decade, coming out in 2005.

Internet culture?: Wikipedia, Youtube and even Twitter were all popular in 2007 or earlier.

Video game systems: Gamecube, Xbox, yeah once again before 2008

Films: Three films for the Fast And The Furious series were out by 2006. For the younger crowd, Shrek's 3rd movie came out in 2007.

Books: ALL Harry Potter books were out in 2007 or earlier.

So you can see, 2008 and 2009 don't really create the "vision" of the noughties at all, they are basically just leftover years.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/12 at 2:35 am

So you can see, 2008 and 2009 don't really create the "vision" of the noughties at all, they are basically just leftover years.

No they're not. They're just as much part of the 'noughties' as, say, 2001 and 2005.

But even if you were right, there was NO WAY anyone (not even VH1) could tell that by 2008! So I totally agree with Starde.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 4:04 am

No they're not. They're just as much part of the 'noughties' as, say, 2001 and 2005.

But even if you were right, there was NO WAY anyone (not even VH1) could tell that by 2008! So I totally agree with Starde.

I know, and I do agree with Starde too, don't get me wrong. But in retrospect, it hasn't really hurt things much.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/12 at 5:23 am

I know, and I do agree with Starde too, don't get me wrong. But in retrospect, it hasn't really hurt things much.

Well, that's where we disagree. A 'noughties' retrospect should include all years from 2000 to 2009 - not a selection. It should not make any difference whether someone thinks the years 2008 and/or 2009 are quintessential or not.

But to return to the OP's question...

I would probably say:

YOLO
Skrillexmania
"Call Me Maybe"
The Mayan calendar
The Dark Knight shooting
"We Are Young"

Let's not forget the passings of Whitney Houston, Donna Summer and Robin Gibb.

FTR: the only time I've ever heard someone use the term "YOLO" was here on these very boards. I don't think it took off in Europe. And what's this Skrillexmania you speak of? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/10/12 at 6:47 am

VH1 would have to wait another 8-10 years befre they make "I Love 2012".

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/12 at 7:37 am

They could do a "The VH1 Shows of 2012 Suck" program right now.

Baseball Wives, Basketball Wives, TI & Tiny, Big Ang, Mob Wives, Atlanta Wives... all garbage. Who wants to watch these cackling women 24/7?    ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/10/12 at 12:58 pm

Sure, if you were born in like 2003 and only remember the LATE 00s.  ;D

Basically, what I'd consider quintessential to the era happened 2007 and earlier. Even Twitter was popular before 2008 even started. What was around in 2008 and 2009? Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber? Lady Gaga has about as much stake in the early tenties as the late noughties. Also, Justin Bieber's first album came out around November 2009? (even "Black Gives Way To Blue" by Alice In Chains came out before that month). And 2010 was the prime Justin Bieber year, by then we had a new decade. 

Here's some television that is quintessential to the noughties: Malcolm In The Middle (ended in 2006), Fear Factor (again, ended in 2006), Survivor (well past the golden years by 2008), Pimp My Ride (ended in 2007)

How about albums?: X&Y by Coldplay, a band that not only identifies well with the noughties, but was popular in the early-mid 00s, not just at the end like Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. This album is their centerpiece in the decade, coming out in 2005.

Internet culture?: Wikipedia, Youtube and even Twitter were all popular in 2007 or earlier.

Video game systems: Gamecube, Xbox, yeah once again before 2008

Films: Three films for the Fast And The Furious series were out by 2006. For the younger crowd, Shrek's 3rd movie came out in 2007.

Books: ALL Harry Potter books were out in 2007 or earlier.

Yeah, but 2008 and 2009 are still part of the 00's, whether they feel like it or not. Both years had plenty to discuss. 2008 could have been about Barack Obama, Katy Perry, Iron Man, Twilight, John and Kate Plus 8, Iron Man, Dark Knight. 2009 could have been about Michael Jackson's passing, Avatar, Lady Gaga, Twitter (that's the year it really became popular), Modern Family.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/10/12 at 1:05 pm

Totally agree on the I Love the New Millennium thing.  The quality of the program was pretty low too from what I recall.  2000 was okay, but by 2005 it was about nothing but strange funny news stories and celebrity gossip while mentioning maybe one music-related thing each year.  Those are usually mentioned, but they were only two segments per year about - not like five or six like it became.

Heck, just looking at the list of things they covered on Wikipedia, they didn't even mention the following (all out by 2007, the last year they covered):

- Emo
- Soulja Boy (love him or hate him, he helped define 2007)
- Come to think of it, Hip-Hop got very little mention despite its massive popularity
- Most of the popular 00s dramas like Lost, Desperate Housewives, House, etc.
- Almost nothing about video games despite them becoming HUGE business with some big mainstream crossovers (Grand Theft Auto, Halo, World of Warcraft, Wii, etc.)

Meanwhile, the following was apparently seen as worthy of inclusion:

- The tv show Fat Actress (never even heard of this before, heck it only had one season)
- The film Grizzly Man
- Pink's "Stupid Girls" song (but not SexyBack, from that same year?)
- The Darkness "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" (the only music mentioned in 2004 - they usually did at least four music segments per year with the other series)
- David Beckham joining the LA Galaxy
- Winoa Ryder shoplifting
- Sharon Stone's husband being bitten by a komodo dragon

That's what ruined the series for me. 2004 and 2005 were my favorite years, and those years were butchered by it. They left out most of the highlights I remember about the years, and discussed the things I don't remember like what you mentioned. I never even heard of "Grizzly Man", or remember Ken Jennings on Jeopardy. 2004 should have mentioned "Napolean Dynamite" and Usher. 2005 should have talked about "The Office", and "40 Year Old Virgin", as well as "Feel Good Inc." by the Gorillaz, Fall Out Boy, Gwen Stefani, and Mariah Carey's "Emancipation of Mimi" album. I hardly remember "Here It Goes Again" by Ok Go (that's actually a 2006 song).

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/10/12 at 1:33 pm

Horrible music  ;)

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, but 2008 and 2009 are still part of the 00's, whether they feel like it or not. Both years had plenty to discuss. 2008 could have been about Barack Obama, Katy Perry, Iron Man, Twilight, John and Kate Plus 8, Iron Man, Dark Knight. 2009 could have been about Michael Jackson's passing, Avatar, Lady Gaga, Twitter (that's the year it really became popular), Modern Family.

Sure, but George Bush defines the noughties better than Barack Obama does.And Barack Obama has already spent more time as president in the tenties than in the noughties and a winning election could see him reach 2016 (which would cover the majority of the decade by then).

Don't you think people would "love" Michael Jackson's life more than his death? And do people really think it's fair to associate him with his children controversy - he was proven innocent. Michael Jackson belongs to the eighties.

And don't you think Katy Perry and Lady Gaga have had at least close to the same claim to the tenties so far as 2008 and 2009. Especially if their mainstream runs continue after 2012.
Avatar's time was late in the decade (2009) and the mark spilled into 2010, so it's more of a turn of the decade film that a typical example of a film from that decade.

Twitter was popular in 2007 too. Maybe not as popular, but popular enough to be more 2007 than 2008.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/12 at 2:23 pm

They could do a "The VH1 Shows of 2012 Suck" program right now.

Baseball Wives, Basketball Wives, TI & Tiny, Big Ang, Mob Wives, Atlanta Wives... all garbage. Who wants to watch these cackling women 24/7?    ::)

I agree LB.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 3:18 pm

I agree LB.

I even think VH1's music lists have been poor also.

Not as bad as Rolling Stone though. Rolling Stone are so bad, they even have the same songs listed twice in a few cases on their 500 songs (sure, different artists, but come on, it's still the same song) so it's not a list that merits attention anymore than an average joe's list. A good professional list of the best songs of all time shouldn't include songs that are less than 10 years old (how can you know how a song will hold up over time if it came out just a few years ago? I think there is even a tenties song or two on the latest edition).

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 3:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

This would certainly be on it.  ;D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 4:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

This would certainly be on it.  ;D

8-P

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/10/12 at 5:06 pm

Sure, but George Bush defines the noughties better than Barack Obama does.And Barack Obama has already spent more time as president in the tenties than in the noughties and a winning election could see him reach 2016 (which would cover the majority of the decade by then).

Don't you think people would "love" Michael Jackson's life more than his death? And do people really think it's fair to associate him with his children controversy - he was proven innocent. Michael Jackson belongs to the eighties.

And don't you think Katy Perry and Lady Gaga have had at least close to the same claim to the tenties so far as 2008 and 2009. Especially if their mainstream runs continue after 2012.
Avatar's time was late in the decade (2009) and the mark spilled into 2010, so it's more of a turn of the decade film that a typical example of a film from that decade.

Twitter was popular in 2007 too. Maybe not as popular, but popular enough to be more 2007 than 2008.

The thing is though some people are saying the 2010s didn't even start yet and we are still in the 00s culturally speaking. Think about it, We still have music from the late 00s, fashion is still the same, and it doesn't feel like an entirely new decade yet so Obama may still represent the 2000s better. A lot of people have been saying that the 2010s era won't start until 2013. We may be in a transitional period though and only the future will tell if this will be more like the 2000s or 2010s....

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 6:04 pm

The thing is though some people are saying the 2010s didn't even start yet and we are still in the 00s culturally speaking. Think about it, We still have music from the late 00s, fashion is still the same, and it doesn't feel like an entirely new decade yet so Obama may still represent the 2000s better. A lot of people have been saying that the 2010s era won't start until 2013. We may be in a transitional period though and only the future will tell if this will be more like the 2000s or 2010s....

By that logic, it was still the 1990s in 2004, because Spongebob Squarepants which started in the very LATE 90s, was popular in 2004. Is 2005, the 1990s still? Maybe it's still the eighties today, because there's a chance you can find some shows that started in the late 80s that are still going and bringing in viewers. And anyone who was culturally aware for EVERY YEAR of the decade would probably know that George Bush was president for 9/11 the Iraq events in 2003 and basically spent much more time being president in the noughties than Obama. And of corse, Obama has still spent more time in the tenties being president than the noughties.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/12 at 6:04 pm

VH-1 is an American network, so they would probably talk about alot of things that don't reflect in other countries.  Also, there is no such thing as Skrillexmania.  The man has several hits to his credit, but he's yet to place a song in the US Top 40.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/12 at 6:49 pm

Probably about half of the songs one of my local Top 40 station plays are from 2009.  While I wouldn't necessarily call current culture "Core 00s", we are still very much in that late 2008-Present cultural era.  I have a theory that culture moved in four year increments consistent with Presidential terms so we are bound to start seeing some changes soon, especially if Romney gets elected.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 7:00 pm

Probably about half of the songs one of my local Top 40 station plays are from 2009.  While I wouldn't necessarily call current culture "Core 00s", we are still very much in that late 2008-Present cultural era.  I have a theory that culture moved in four year increments consistent with Presidential terms so we are bound to start seeing some changes soon, especially if Romney gets elected.

2012 "core 00s"?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Even 2008 isn't "core 00s". The "core 00s" were basically 2003 - 2007.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 7:12 pm

2012 "core 00s"?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Even 2008 isn't "core 00s". The "core 00s" were basically 2003 - 2007.

I would say earlier 2008 was still core '00s IMO, early 2008 was still VERY urban dominated and still part of the crunk era really.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/12 at 7:24 pm

I said 2012 wasn't "core 00s".  It's part of the late 2008-2012 "late '00s" era.  For music, that started in late 2008 when Lady Gaga released "Just Dance".  Fashion is a different ballgame as in 2008 and 2009 Bieber hair was all the rage for guys but now you don't see it that much anymore.

Written By: Starde on 09/10/12 at 7:37 pm

Yeah, I also agree that making "I Love the New Millennium" too early killed the entire franchise. VH-1 has never made such a series since. They didn't even finish with 2008 and 2009, in which there would have plenty of content for those years. They should have made that series this year at the earliest, and just called it "I Love the 00's".

Yep, and it's truly a damn shame too because I really loved watching their I Love the... series because I thought it was a fun way to see how much pop culture changed from, not only the decade, but from one year to the next. Besides the music oriented programming that VH1 did often like 100 Greatest Songs of the 90's, it was basically why I still tuned in to VH1. Luckily, some people have uploaded full episodes of the I Love the... series on YouTube so I can always catch them on there.

I'd honestly like to know the producer(s) and/or network exec(s) who thought showing I Love the New Millenium in 2008 was a brilliant idea because they obviously just had ratings on their minds. And I'm honestly not surprised that they haven't shown I Love the New Millenium since at least 2008 because, obviously, so much as changed since then. For example, they talked about Michael Jackson a couple of times during different years of the show in the present tense. Too bad they didn't know what would happen the following summer. They should just re-do the whole damn thing in a couple of years and, like someone mentioned, just call it "I Love the 00's" or something. Maybe then the material that they cover will be of a much better quality since time will have passed enough to make the decade nostalgic and more interesting to discuss.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 11:08 pm

I said 2012 wasn't "core 00s".  It's part of the late 2008-2012 "late '00s" era.  For music, that started in late 2008 when Lady Gaga released "Just Dance".  Fashion is a different ballgame as in 2008 and 2009 Bieber hair was all the rage for guys but now you don't see it that much anymore.

Well, if you say it goes from LATE 2008 - today...

It's not even two whole years of noughties and nearly three years of tenties...so it's a culture that has already existed longer in this decade. And you still want to call it "late 00s?" instead of "early 10s"  ;D ;D  ;D

I know some say "laughter is the best medicine" but the idea of 2012, 2011, even 2010 for that matter being part of anything with "00s" in it, is an overdose.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/10/12 at 11:58 pm

I Love the New Millenium was just a seven hour commercial. Even their so-called commentary was just "oh, this show was so good!" or "He was such a cool artist!"

Written By: bchris02 on 09/11/12 at 12:06 am

Well, if you say it goes from LATE 2008 - today...

It's not even two whole years of noughties and nearly three years of tenties...so it's a culture that has already existed longer in this decade. And you still want to call it "late 00s?" instead of "early 10s"  ;D ;D  ;D

I know some say "laughter is the best medicine" but the idea of 2012, 2011, even 2010 for that matter being part of anything with "00s" in it, is an overdose.

Time will tell.  If there is a radical cultural shift in the coming years, this period will likely be looked at like the early '90s, which most people can agree showed little difference from the late '80s.  True '90s culture isn't said to have started until 1993 and so it will be for the '10s decade.  If there is not, then the age of Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Katy Perry will probably identify more with the '10s than '00s.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/11/12 at 1:18 am

Time will tell.  If there is a radical cultural shift in the coming years, this period will likely be looked at like the early '90s, which most people can agree showed little difference from the late '80s.  True '90s culture isn't said to have started until 1993 and so it will be for the '10s decade.  If there is not, then the age of Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Katy Perry will probably identify more with the '10s than '00s.

And you don't think  this "age" is more tenties anyway already? At best it's a bridge between the noughties culture and the tenties culture more than it is the "true" noughties culture (2003-2007/early 2008).

Written By: Howard on 09/11/12 at 7:01 am

8-P

What's so special about her?  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/12/12 at 3:21 am

By that logic, it was still the 1990s in 2004, because Spongebob Squarepants which started in the very LATE 90s, was popular in 2004. Is 2005, the 1990s still? Maybe it's still the eighties today, because there's a chance you can find some shows that started in the late 80s that are still going and bringing in viewers. And anyone who was culturally aware for EVERY YEAR of the decade would probably know that George Bush was president for 9/11 the Iraq events in 2003 and basically spent much more time being president in the noughties than Obama. And of corse, Obama has still spent more time in the tenties being president than the noughties.

Exactly. That's like saying that the 1989 episode shouldn't have been a part of "I love the 80's" since it was culturally more like the 90's. In fact, watching that episode made it clear that many early 90's things began in '89, such as the Arsenio Hall Show, Baywatch, Saved By The Bell, Cops, the Simpsons, New Jack Swing music, and the first of the 90's Batman series (Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher). Still, it was the 80's whether it felt like it or not.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/12/12 at 1:50 pm

Exactly. That's like saying that the 1989 episode shouldn't have been a part of "I love the 80's" since it was culturally more like the 90's. In fact, watching that episode made it clear that many early 90's things began in '89, such as the Arsenio Hall Show, Baywatch, Saved By The Bell, Cops, the Simpsons, New Jack Swing music, and the first of the 90's Batman series (Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher). Still, it was the 80's whether it felt like it or not.

And this is what I think is silly. People are trying to lump 2010, 2011 and 2012 as "feeling" like the previous decade. What is worse though, is they don't "feel" like most of the decade, only 2008 and 2009 are similar. 2003, 2005 and even 2007 are a different cultural era.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/13/12 at 3:52 am

While we're at it, let's talk about what VH1 should discuss about 2010 and 2011.

2010: Ke$ha, iPad, the Gulf oil spill, Jersey Shore, Tiger Woods affairs, Inception

2011: Arab Spring, LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem", Adele, Captain America, Thor, Japan earthquake and tsunami

Written By: Howard on 09/13/12 at 7:00 am

While we're at it, let's talk about what VH1 should discuss about 2010 and 2011.

2010: Ke$ha, iPad, the Gulf oil spill, Jersey Shore, Tiger Woods affairs, Inception

2011: Arab Spring, LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem", Adele, Captain America, Thor, Japan earthquake and tsunami

those are some good discussions.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 1:59 pm

those are some good discussions.

People actually LOVE the Oil Spill? That I did not know... ???
Hmmm, I wonder if sometime in the future we'll hear someone say "Oh, I'm sooo nostalgic for the Oil Spill right now!" and get a reply of "...ahh yes those were the golden days...the 90s may have had the Seattle Sound grunge scene, and the 00s had the reality television boom, but we 10s teenagers had the oil spill. Yay!"

Written By: Howard on 09/13/12 at 7:30 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if sometime in the future we'll hear someone say "Oh, I'm sooo nostalgic for the Oil Spill right now!" and get a reply of "...ahh yes those were the golden days...the 90s may have had the Seattle Sound grunge scene, and the 00s had the reality television boom, but we 10s teenagers had the oil spill. Yay!"

It was just discussions in general.

And off topic for a moment, why can't you sign up and become a member by now? ???

Written By: Starde on 09/13/12 at 8:10 pm

It was just discussions in general.

And off topic for a moment, why can't you sign up and become a member by now? ???

I've been wondering the same thing...

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/13/12 at 8:35 pm

I've been wondering the same thing...

Done.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/14/12 at 3:29 am

Other disasters have been mentioned in that series, including the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989. 9/11 was mentioned as well for the 2001, but not in a "nostalgic" way, more like a rememberance of a time that the American people put aside their differences and stood together.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/14/12 at 3:35 am

Other disasters have been mentioned in that series, including the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989. 9/11 was mentioned as well for the 2001, but not in a "nostalgic" way, more like a rememberance of a time that the American people put aside their differences and stood together.

But how does that work for the oil spill?

Written By: Howard on 09/14/12 at 3:24 pm

Done.

Welcome to the boards Mr.Gold.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/12 at 7:11 am

But how does that work for the oil spill?

The Oil spill has been done to death.

The Exxon Valdez spill of 1989 was one reason why the 80's were so big.  :-X

Written By: Ta'Quan on 09/18/12 at 12:56 am

Here's what I think they might (or should) talk about...

The Hunger Games 8)
Kony 2012 ::)
Mass Effect 3 ending complaints ::)
The Passing of Whitney Houston :\'(
Whistle-Flo Rida ;D
Mercy-Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz 8)
KimYe (Kim Kardashian and Kanye West together) ::)
The Avengers 8)
The Mayan Calender Scare ::)
The Swerve trend 8)
#YOLO :D
One World Trade Center once again surpasses the Empire State Building as New York City's tallest skyscraper ;D
The Passing of Neil Armstrong :\'(
The Fall of Lance Armstrong from grace :o
The Facebook stock flop ::)
The U.S. presidential election (OBAMA!!! 8))
The Death of Rodney King :(
The Birth of Blue Ivy Carter :)
The full-scale revival of Boy Bands (Mindless Behavior, One Direction, BTR, etc.) and Teen Pop  ::)
Men In Black III 8)
Resident Evil:Retribution ;D
The Passing of Chuck Brown :\'(
Nicki Minaj's controversial performance at the 2012 Grammys :o
Think Like A Man :)
Call Me Maybe-Carly Rae Jepsen :D
Somebody That I Used To Know-Goyte 8)
Twilight Director Chris Weitz+Kristen Stewart+Robert Pattison=The fallout from the Twi-hard community ::) :o
Skrillex :)
The Ending of Jersey Shore :) 8) There is a God lol
Where Have You Been-Rihanna ;D

Written By: StrawberrySundae on 09/18/12 at 1:20 am

The Hunger Games 8)
Whistle-Flo Rida ;D
The Avengers 8)
The Swerve trend 8)
One World Trade Center once again surpasses the Empire State Building as New York City's tallest skyscraper ;D
The full-scale revival of Boy Bands (Mindless Behavior, One Direction, BTR, etc.) and Teen Pop  ::)
Men In Black III 8)
Twilight Director Chris Weitz+Kristen Stewart+Robert Pattison=The fallout from the Twi-hard community ::) :o

I do agree with what I highlighted. Women's intuition makes me sense that those would be covered in a I Love The 10s special in 2020 or whenever they do it.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 7:08 am

Women's intuition makes me sense that those would be covered in a I Love The 10s special in 2020 or whenever they do it.

That's when they should do it, in another 8 years.

Written By: tv on 09/20/12 at 7:42 pm

The Hunger Games 8)
Whistle-Flo Rida ;D
The Avengers 8)
The Swerve trend 8)
Men In Black III 8)
Also adding to your list Lebron James gets his first chanpionship ring!

Written By: tv on 09/20/12 at 7:46 pm

...and the early 90's(1990-1992) too.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 12:52 pm

I guess Gangnam Style would have to be in there.  ;D

Written By: Ta'Quan on 09/24/12 at 7:33 pm

Also adding to your list Lebron James gets his first chanpionship ring!

Oh yeah, oops I forgot all about that lol :) And I forgot about The Hobbit! ;D I am so going to see it! And I hope it will be as long as the previous Lord of the Rings films were back in the day when they were in theaters!

Check for new replies or respond here...