inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip-Hop's moving in a more serious, potentially darker direction isn't it?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/09/12 at 1:03 am

I first noticed this particularly last year, but it seems to be picking up some steam recently.  There's still plenty of upbeat, poppy Hip-Hop songs.  Heck, Whistle hit #1 just a couple weeks ago.  However, there seems to be an increase in Hip-Hop that either has a more serious feel, or at least a more darker feel, than there used to be.  It seems like after going into a more dance and pop-influenced direction over the past few years, Hip-Hop's at a bit of a crossroads where it could either go in that direction still or take a detour in darker territory.  What are your thoughts?

Kanye West - Mercy (hit #1 on the Billboard Hip-Hop/R&B chart)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dqgr0wNyPo&feature=related

Wiz Khalifa - Work Hard, Play Hard (peaked in the top 20 on Billboard Hot 100)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHNr0BrNgo&feature=related

2 Chainz - No Lie (currently #1 on the Billboard Hip-Hop/R&B chart)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dqgr0wNyPo&feature=related

Drake - Take Care (peaked in the Top 10 of the Hot 100)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzP29emgpg

Tyler the Creator - Yonkers (won Best New Artist at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

Subject: Re: Hip-Hop's moving in a more serious, potentially darker direction isn't it?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/12 at 5:21 pm

Hip-hop lately is actually sounding a little more like it did in the early '00s than it did in 2008 and 2009.  It is also all but gone from Top 40 except for the very pop-hop artists like Pitbull and Nikki Minaj. '10 and '11 were horrible years for hip-hop but now urban radio actually sounds good again.

Subject: Re: Hip-Hop's moving in a more serious, potentially darker direction isn't it?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/12 at 7:57 am

Pitbull's raps are all about getting laid and being "worldwide" whatever that is.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/10/12 at 1:34 pm

Sorry but that isn't Hip Hop. I don't know what it is, but it's not Hip Hop....

Written By: Howard on 09/10/12 at 2:27 pm

Sorry but that isn't Hip Hop. I don't know what it is, but it's not Hip Hop....

hip hop is music with lyrics, this is just noise and crap!  :P

Written By: Emman on 09/10/12 at 3:13 pm

hip hop is music with lyrics, this is just noise and crap!  :P

A lot of people said the same thing about hip-hop(as a whole) when it started emerging in mainstream culture in the '80s. ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 3:15 pm

Yeah tbh I don't keep up as much with hip-hop these days, I actually was more into it in the early-mid '00s. I do kinda like Drake and Wiz Khalifa, but I STILL don't really get Lil Wayne and I hate that 2 chainz guy.  ::) These days I mainly keep up with pop and rock.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/10/12 at 3:38 pm

More chopped and screwed influence?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_and_screwed

I also thought hyphy rap was coming back, with Big Sean's recent sucess, but it never came to be.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/10/12 at 5:10 pm

Yeah tbh I don't keep up as much with hip-hop these days, I actually was more into it in the early-mid '00s. I do kinda like Drake and Wiz Khalifa, but I STILL don't really get Lil Wayne and I hate that 2 chainz guy.  ::) These days I mainly keep up with pop and rock.

Yeah other than Eminem's stuff from 2010/2011 I don't like today's music at all. Knaan is still pretty good though. But Lil. Wayne, Drake and Flo Rida are all fake to me. Mainstream Hip Hop died in 2008 imo. I also liked early/mid 2000s Hip Hop much more. Back when Black Eyed Peas were still good. 50 Cent and Jay Z as well. Even Rhianna was good then around 2007 with her hit, Umbrella but now she turned into autotuned pop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/12 at 5:49 pm

Whiz sold out when he did that rap on the Maroon 5 pop record.  Heck, most stations don't even play the rap.

Written By: Starde on 09/10/12 at 7:40 pm

Yep, same here. If it weren't for my peers mentioning some of these new artists or playing their music, I wouldn't know anything about today's hip hop scene.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/12 at 7:03 am

A lot of people said the same thing about hip-hop(as a whole) when it started emerging in mainstream culture in the '80s. ::)

At least guys back then knew what they were singing about! ::)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/12/12 at 5:08 pm

At least guys back then knew what they were singing about! ::)

;lol

Written By: thenewtattoo on 09/12/12 at 7:19 pm

Yep, same here. If it weren't for my peers mentioning some of these new artists or playing their music, I wouldn't know anything about today's hip hop scene.

2 chainz reminds me of a 90s act sorta lol.  I see a 90s rap fashion revival
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/488294_10151394881026258_1683821518_n.jpg

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/14/12 at 4:52 pm

Hip-hop lately is actually sounding a little more like it did in the early '00s than it did in 2008 and 2009.  It is also all but gone from Top 40 except for the very pop-hop artists like Pitbull and Nikki Minaj. '10 and '11 were horrible years for hip-hop but now urban radio actually sounds good again.

I'm not noticing that at all. It sounds the opposite of the early 00s. Early 00s were much more deep and had a laid back style. This stuff doesn't compare. Like Nelly, Ashanti, Usher all had that laid back R&B feel back in the early 00s. That was mainly what mainstream Hip Hop was about and it was much more slower and relaxed than today. And there is no one who can compare to what Eminem was in the early 00s today.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/14/12 at 5:38 pm

Urban radio does seem more serious now to me, but urban music just isn't as "pop" these days so it's all makes sense. Throughout most of the '00s urban pop was the main pop music and you had a lot of crossovers between urban and pop, these days both of those formats have gone in the opposite direction. Pop is less urban and urban is less pop. I wouldn't even count the Pitbull and Flo Rida style stuff as urban or hip-hop at all, that's dance pop and isn't played by urban stations.

Check for new replies or respond here...