inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the movie industry dead now? There's certainly a lack of risk taking

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/12 at 7:09 am

http://i.imgur.com/Ijpeb.jpg

There are 0 original films for the top ten grossing films of 2011, and only one in the top 15, compared to 7 original films in 1981. 

There's a definite trend to make huge movies with a built in audience, and apparently that's what people want to go see.

Subject: Re: Is the movie industry dead now? There's certainly a lack of risk taking

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 7:27 am

That's possibly a bit cherrypicked using '1' years, but yes I definitely agree. I can't even be bothered to go to the theatre. Do we really need another comic book movie?  >:(

Subject: Re: Is the movie industry dead now? There's certainly a lack of risk taking

Written By: slim on 09/19/12 at 8:17 am

I gave up on Hollywood years ago.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/12 at 8:46 am

That's possibly a bit cherrypicked using '1' years, but yes I definitely agree. I can't even be bothered to go to the theatre. Do we really need another comic book movie?  >:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_in_film#Highest-grossing_films

Inception and Despicable me are the only two original films the previous year.  Hard to call Tangled original since it's using well known characters. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_in_film#Highest-grossing_films

2009 isn't much better.  More than zero though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/12 at 9:14 am

How well did "The King's Speech" fare in the USA, it was released in 2011? I guess not in the top ten?

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:45 pm

The problem is lack of creation. That's what it is right now.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:46 pm

It seems like every cartoon has been made into a film.

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/12 at 8:08 pm

How well did "The King's Speech" fare in the USA, it was released in 2011? I guess not in the top ten?

It got critical acclaim, but generally, British films only seem to do well once they get Oscar nods, which they almost always do

Written By: Creeder on 09/20/12 at 1:47 am

Well, almost every topic has been made already, but they should try harder.
I really want an epic historical drama about the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, come on Hollywood, that would be great!

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 7:13 am

What the movie industry needs to do is to come up with something that people has not seen before.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 7:13 am

Well, almost every topic has been made already, but they should try harder.
I really want an epic historical drama about the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, come on Hollywood, that would be great!

or the story of Christopher Columbus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/12 at 7:39 am

or the story of Christopher Columbus.
It has already been made with the film "1492: Conquest of Paradise" in 1992 by Ridley Scott.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/20/12 at 7:48 am

Johnny Depp once said in an interview that his dream project would be a biopic about Le Petomaine. (Google it.)

If he ever actually made this movie, I'd be there on opening night.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/12 at 7:52 am

Johnny Depp once said in an interview that his dream project would be a biopic about Le Petomaine. (Google it.)

If he ever actually made this movie, I'd be there on opening night.  ;D
From a short film from the 70s Leonard Rossiter as Le Petomane

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/12 at 10:21 am

What the movie industry needs to do is to come up with something that people has not seen before.

Exactly!

Written By: Shiv on 09/20/12 at 10:30 am

The good movies will become classics and the garbage will be quickly forgotten. Just like every other time period.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/20/12 at 11:21 am

don't have to... one of my friends used to use that name as his online handle back in the late 1980s on BBS systems.  Not really sure I want to see a movie of that.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 3:40 pm

Exactly!

There's just no imagination these days.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 3:41 pm

The good movies will become classics and the garbage will be quickly forgotten. Just like every other time period.

which ones Shiv? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/12 at 4:03 pm

Thank you for proving the point I was making in another thread.

Cat

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 12:49 pm

I blame corporate capitalism. When everything is about making a profit, art suffers.

Check for new replies or respond here...