inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How old is 'too old' for 2010s pop culture?

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 10:24 pm

It seems like even people born in the early nineties seem too 'old' for it. Would you say 2010s pop culture will mostly belong to people born from say 1995-2011?

Subject: Re: How old is 'too old' for 2010s pop culture?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/20/12 at 1:53 am

I'm in my 30's now (born in the late 70's), so if people born in the early 90's are too old, then I'm definitely way too old. Kind of a scary and depressing thought.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/12 at 2:20 am

I would say that early 2010's culture belongs to today's teenagers and to those who are in their early 20's. That would include early 90's born people. The mid and late 90's born people probably enjoy it a bit longer. But in depends - not everybody is into pop culture at all.

2011 born people are definetly not the target of 10's culture. They will be kids of the late 10's and early 20's.

Written By: Shiv on 09/20/12 at 10:28 am

I'm a 21 year old guy and 2010s pop culture is very aimed at teen girls.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/20/12 at 11:15 am

It seems like even people born in the early nineties seem too 'old' for it. Would you say 2010s pop culture will mostly belong to people born from say 1995-2011?

I have a hunch that music next year will be much more mature. I think that I would be a part of the range even though I was born before the early 90s (a group where a significant proportion feel too old for the music). I see myself being in the range even in the early 2020s because of the turn I think music will take.

Written By: Inertia on 09/20/12 at 12:46 pm

I can say as someone born in 1989 that I am not much into current pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/12 at 3:39 pm

I'm a 21 year old guy and 2010s pop culture is very aimed at teen girls.

girls who like Justin Bieber,Twilight and Katy Perry.  ::)

Written By: Milkof1996 on 09/20/12 at 4:58 pm

Eh, I still listen to recent music, just not pop music.

Written By: tv on 09/20/12 at 6:59 pm

maybe 17 or 18 years old would be to old. Its really a teen pop culture now. I am in my early 30's. I listened to that Carly Rae Jaspen song on youtube. It made me feel old that song. I was like this song is for 8 year old girls(sorry to offened late Gen Yer's that may like her) but thats it what it made feel like that the song was aimed at. I have listened to some new Nelly Furtado songs mainly because the sports show "ESPN First Take" plays music going into commercial breaks. I like the couple Nelly Furtado songs that I have heard. That R&B/soul act "Klockwise" sounds like the 90's R&B/Soul band "Mint Condition" to so I like Klockwise.

Written By: af2010 on 09/20/12 at 8:14 pm

I'm 24 (will be 25 soon) and I haven't really been into new music since the late 00s (and even then I was losing interest).  I can probably count on one hand the number of songs made in the 2010s that I've actually enjoyed listening to.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/12 at 8:18 pm

I'm 24 (will be 25 soon) and I haven't really been into new music since the late 00s (and even then I was losing interest).  I can probably count on one hand the number of songs made in the 2010s that I've actually enjoyed listening to.

Yeah I turned 25 earlier this year and I feel basically the same.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/20/12 at 11:07 pm

I'm 17 and I do not follow pop culture. I actually tend to follow 2000s culture and am more glued to that. It explains why I am a big fan of Eminem. I just don't like the pop culture today at all it makes me depressed.  :(

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/21/12 at 12:08 am

maybe 17 or 18 years old would be to old. Its really a teen pop culture now. I am in my early 30's. I listened to that Carly Rae Jaspen song on youtube. It made me feel old that song. I was like this song is for 8 year old girls(sorry to offened late Gen Yer's that may like her) but thats it what it made feel like that the song was aimed at. I have listened to some new Nelly Furtado songs mainly because the sports show "ESPN First Take" plays music going into commercial breaks. I like the couple Nelly Furtado songs that I have heard. That R&B/soul act "Klockwise" sounds like the 90's R&B/Soul band "Mint Condition" to so I like Klockwise.

What you said about the culture being marketed at people in the early-mid teens or even younger is true, at least in the tier-one mainstream sense. Justin Bieber is 10 year old girl stuff, the more mature stuff you basically need to dig deeper than the surface. And about the comment above, I think core 2010s pop culture is likely to go from 2013-to about 2017 and I think if things continue the way things are, the butter zone would start off with people born in 1998 perhaps at the oldest give or take a year. And maybe 2012 at the youngest (if they are like me when I turned 5 in 1987, they'd listen to the radio and enjoy the 2010s alternative to the eighties Care Bears and play the latest video games). People born in 1995 will be turning 18 next year and they probably won't want to listen to 8 year old music as adults.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/12 at 7:21 am

You know TV, I'm almost 40 and I rarely listen to teen pop music just don't care for it.

Written By: slim on 09/21/12 at 8:53 am

I'm 21 and i don't like today's pop culture.  I feel it's aimed at teens.

Written By: Creeder on 09/21/12 at 9:10 am

Yep, everything above 20 years is 'too old'. I'm 23 and I try to like some of today's culture, but its not easy.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 12:40 pm

I actually love Carly Rae Jepsen but I strongly dislike just about everything else that's out there right now. Her album that just came out actually has a lot of really 80's-sounding tracks. Rihanna, Pitbull, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, sorry I can't stand them.

Written By: Inertia on 09/21/12 at 1:38 pm

I'm similar, except I have not been involved in current music since about 2001.

I can only think of about three songs from this current decade which I honestly enjoy.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/12 at 3:17 pm

Yep, everything above 20 years is 'too old'. I'm 23 and I try to like some of today's culture, but its not easy.

I'm almost 40 and I don't like today's culture.

Written By: Inertia on 09/21/12 at 4:40 pm

I'm almost 40 and I don't like today's culture.

The culture we live in right now in my opinion is boring and celebrity oriented for the most part.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/21/12 at 4:42 pm

It's just the Illuminati doing it's thing. No individuality what's so ever in today's pop culture.  >:(

Written By: belmont22 on 09/21/12 at 5:06 pm

I wish we had more individual weirdo celebrities like Prince. I'm sick of hearing about celebrities having babies and getting married, that's what normal people do!  ;D And not fake-weird like Lady Gaga, like truly weird.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/21/12 at 5:52 pm

I'm apparently a strange exception in that I'm 23 and don't mind a lot of 2010s pop culture.  I can look at the music charts for any given week and still find several songs that I like.  There are still a good number of worthwhile tv shows on the air, still decent video games coming out (even if I feel that this generation isn't as good as the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation), etc.  I guess on this board I'm an exception. 

That said, I will say I don't pay as much attention to it as I did to 00s pop culture when it was going on.  Do I ever feel "too old" for it?  Sure, I do sometimes, arguably more so than I did when the decade started.  I also definitely feel that the 2010s is a very female-centric decade when it comes to many pop culture trends.  I don't feel like I'm quite out of touch with pop culture yet though.  Come back to me in a couple years and we'll see how I feel then.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/12 at 9:14 pm

I would say the cutoff is about 1987 today.  A lot of twentysomethings today love "Call Me Maybe".  By the end of the decade however, its likely Generation Y will have aged out of it.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 09/22/12 at 12:05 am

I also definitely feel that the 2010s is a very female-centric decade when it comes to many pop culture trends. 

I can definitely agree with that, especially with television. If there was more for guys I probably wouldn't mind, but there's too much "ironic" and cutesy humor for my taste.

Also, I don't think music is too immature, as much as its just BAAAD  8-P.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/12 at 3:46 pm

The culture we live in right now in my opinion is boring and celebrity oriented for the most part.

What happened to the culture of the 80's?  :(

Written By: Howard on 09/22/12 at 3:46 pm

I wish we had more individual weirdo celebrities like Prince. I'm sick of hearing about celebrities having babies and getting married, that's what normal people do!  ;D And not fake-weird like Lady Gaga, like truly weird.

or celebrity couples breaking up almost all the time.  ::)

Written By: Inertia on 09/22/12 at 6:36 pm

What happened to the culture of the 80's?  :(

It's gone unfortunately. Instead, we have to deal with the society of today.  >:(

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 09/23/12 at 4:56 am

Techincally, pop culture is aimed at people 18-35....

In terms of music
I feel a little out of the loop, other than being in the car with a friend or my mother, I honestly haven't really listen to the radio since 2009. Hell, I knew what was current back in the mid/late 00s and that wasn't even something I normally listened to, the only current artists I was into at that time was Kanye, Luda, and Lupe and everything else was just 90s hip hop.

Don't even ask me what song is out now, I can only think of maybe two or three...and that's not saying much.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/23/12 at 6:10 am

It's gone unfortunately. Instead, we have to deal with the society of today.  >:(

That sounds like if you were already in your 50's or 60's. No wait - 70's.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/23/12 at 6:58 am

What do you hate about today's society?

Written By: Inertia on 09/23/12 at 8:31 am

What do you hate about today's society?

1. Celebrity obsession.
2. The majority of popular music.
3. The economy.
4. Constant hysteria portrayed in the media.
5. Some literary fads.
6. Most reality shows.

There are other things about our current society that irks me too, but those are some I immediately thought of when you asked that question.

Written By: Inertia on 09/23/12 at 8:33 am

That sounds like if you were already in your 50's or 60's. No wait - 70's.  ::)

Heh.

I don't have to love this society just because I'm in my 20's.

Written By: Mouse man tattoo on 09/23/12 at 6:25 pm

1. Celebrity obsession.
3. The economy.
5. Some literary fads.
6. Most reality shows.

There are other things about our current society that irks me too, but those are some I immediately thought of when you asked that question.

Agreed. IMO, the last great celebrities in general were popular in 2007 or so (before Lady Gaga), there is good music from the last five years, you just need to look beyond the mainstream to get it (unless you actually 10 year old girl stuff) the economy and media have seen better days and reality shows just aren't what they once were.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/12 at 7:13 pm

1. Celebrity obsession.
3. The economy.
5. Some literary fads.
6. Most reality shows.

I agree with you on all 6 points there.

Check for new replies or respond here...