inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: IPhone 5

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/29/12 at 3:02 am

Why are people getting so hyped about it? I have never owned a Smartphone and I am getting along just fine. In fact, I don't even own a cell phone itself! If I need Internet I could just use my laptop. Why is the IPhone such a big deal to everyone? What makes Smartphones so popular? There seems to be so many people lining up to get it, are any of you planning on getting the IPhone 5? I'm not an Apple fan anyway. I heard from some people it's the same as the IPhone 4 with little updates.

Subject: Re: IPhone 5

Written By: Brian06 on 09/29/12 at 3:49 am

I have a smartphone and I do like it and all, but honestly the problem is the monthly bill. It's a freakin money pit. I'm thinking about getting rid of mine lately because I'm sick of flushing 100 bucks a month down the toilet for something I don't need.  ::)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/29/12 at 4:12 am

I agree. If I want to go online, I switch on my PC and enjoy my big screen. When I am out, I don't need to be online. I still know how to read real city maps and to find places on my own. If somebody wants to talk to me he can reach my on my normal cell phone or send me a text message.

Written By: Inertia on 09/29/12 at 5:45 am

I own a very basic flip phone. I don't quite grasp the appeal of spending hundreds of dollars on a special brand.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/12 at 5:59 am

I own a very basic flip phone. I don't quite grasp the appeal of spending hundreds of dollars on a special brand.

I know what you mean. I wish that my bag phone would be able to work on today's network.

Written By: warped on 09/29/12 at 6:19 am

Iphone5?

I don't even own a cell phone. Never have. Don't need one, don't want one.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 9:28 am

The iPhone 5 is too hyped up and it's not even anything special.  What Apple did with this one was make the charging port smaller, so anyone who has an iPhone 4S and older either have to buy a new charging cable, or buy the adapter so they can use their old cable.

Apple puts all their money behind just 1 phone, and each one they release looks the same as the previous one.  I myself do not own a cellphone.  Some days I think about getting one, but if I were to get one, it would not be an iPhone. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/12 at 9:36 am

Iphone5?

I myself do not own a cellphone.  Some days I think about getting one, but if I were to get one, it would not be an iPhone. 

You Canadians really rough it up there.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 9:40 am

You Canadians really rough it up there.  ;D

It's more expensive to have a cellphone in Canada.  Most Canadian cellphone providers have 3 year contracts, and Early Termination Fees between $400 and $600. 

You Americans and your 2 year contracts and $200 termination fees.  You guys have it easier

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/29/12 at 9:53 am

I recently saw the commercial for them, and they look to be quite expensive. I'm guessing maybe that's why not many people have it.

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/12 at 10:37 am

I LOVE MY IPHONE...

I have a desk top, a lap top, an iPad and an iPhone 4....  except for when I am at work (like I am now) I do the majority of my posting from my phone and iPad... I can go weeks without turning on one of my computers.... 

The iPhone 5 is too hyped up and it's not even anything special.  What Apple did with this one was make the charging port smaller, so anyone who has an iPhone 4S and older either have to buy a new charging cable, or buy the adapter so they can use their old cable.

Apple puts all their money behind just 1 phone, and each one they release looks the same as the previous one.  I myself do not own a cellphone.  Some days I think about getting one, but if I were to get one, it would not be an iPhone. 

The dimensions for the i5 are different... the phone is slightly longer and thinner than the 4 or 4s. (that means in addition to new cables you need new phone covers as well)
The display screen is bigger (by .5 of an inch  :P ) and it has higher resolution than the 4s

It features something called LTE3 don't know what that is but as a die hard l33ter it makes me squee with glee  :D

It has a new type of sim card that didn't exist in the previous models so you can't swap your 4 sim card into the 5

the camera is the same as the 4s but since I have the 4 it would be an upgrade for me

facetime on the 5 is offered in 720 HD rather than VGA

you can take still photos while recording video (this is a nice feature and one I have been wanting for two years)

the ear buds have been redesigned....not that I will use them but they make sense this new way.

the battery life is better...

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/12 at 10:40 am

what pisses me off is I dropped my 4 and smashed my screen.  my phone still works but since the home button began to malfunction a few months ago as well (I've had the phone for years...it's quite durable) I decided it wasn't worth my replacing the glass.

I want the i5 but I can't afford/justify the one I want 64gb....unfortunately they seem to be all out of the 64gig 4S I want to buy.  they only have 16gig 4s avail right now....to me getting a 16 gig phone would be worse than going back to an analog flip phone....there's just no practicality in it considering I use my phone for EVERYTHING!  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/12 at 11:43 am

The display screen is bigger (by .5 of an inch  :P ) and it has higher resolution than the 4s

It features something called LTE3 don't know what that is but as a die hard l33ter it makes me squee with glee  :D

It has a new type of sim card that didn't exist in the previous models so you can't swap your 4 sim card into the 5

the camera is the same as the 4s but since I have the 4 it would be an upgrade for me

you can take still photos while recording video (this is a nice feature and one I have been wanting for two years)

the ear buds have been redesigned....not that I will use them but they make sense this new way.

Can you make phone calls on it too? ???  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/12 at 11:59 am

Can you make phone calls on it too? ??? :D

That's a bonus feature you pay extra for!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 12:40 pm

I LOVE MY IPHONE...

I have a desk top, a lap top, an iPad and an iPhone 4....  except for when I am at work (like I am now) I do the majority of my posting from my phone and iPad... I can go weeks without turning on one of my computers.... 

The dimensions for the i5 are different... the phone is slightly longer and thinner than the 4 or 4s. (that means in addition to new cables you need new phone covers as well)

Can the iPhone 5 do file sharing by touching phones?

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/12 at 12:48 pm

Can the iPhone 5 do file sharing by touching phones?

why would anyone wanna do that??? 

as much as I love my iPhone I gotta say that galaxy commercial is brilliant

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/12 at 1:25 pm

why would anyone wanna do that??? 

Galaxy S III by Samsung can do that.

The best selling phone in North America is the Galaxy S III.  I don't think the iPhone 5 will topple it.

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/12 at 2:53 pm

Galaxy S III by Samsung can do that.

The best selling phone in North America is the Galaxy S III.  I don't think the iPhone 5 will topple it.

I know the Samsung Galaxy whatever can do that....but why would I want to.... when I first got the iphone it had an app that would let me share info with people by "swiping" it from my phone to theirs... I thought that's cool.... I never used it... not once in all the years I've had an iPhone... 4yrs 

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:20 pm

I have a flip phone myself.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:21 pm

Iphone5?

Why Not?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/12 at 4:25 pm

I have a flip phone myself.

If my eyes get any worse I'll have to get one of those big-button cell phones for seniors.

http://www.maxiaids.com/ProdImages/958564.jpg

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/29/12 at 4:29 pm

Why Not?

Some people just don't need it. People lived fine without it before it existed so it's not abosulutely necessary to have one. I might get a basic cellphone for emergencies because there is not much more that I need. As for IPhones, it's definitely not needed for me just because it's considered "cool." It would be cool to own a girraff but doesn't mean I need to have one. IPhones are expensive too. I just don't really see a point to it, I'm addicted to the Internet already as it is so if I had the Internet on the palm of my hands everywhere I went ant anytime, I would probably be destroyed.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 5:52 pm

If my eyes get any worse I'll have to get one of those big-button cell phones for seniors.

http://www.maxiaids.com/ProdImages/958564.jpg

just get better glasses.

Written By: warped on 09/29/12 at 7:58 pm

Why Not?

I don't need it. I have a home phone. People wanna find me, they call me there. I also don't want to become a slave to my phone and be bound by it. And I also like my privacy. I don't want to be accessible all the time with a phone on me.  And I also don't need the extra expense. Having said that, if someone gave me a cell phone for free (and people have offered to), I still would not want one or use it.  I've lived for 49 years without a cell phone, why do I need one now?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/30/12 at 3:12 am

Some people just don't need it. People lived fine without it before it existed so it's not abosulutely necessary to have one. I might get a basic cellphone for emergencies because there is not much more that I need. As for IPhones, it's definitely not needed for me just because it's considered "cool." It would be cool to own a girraff but doesn't mean I need to have one. IPhones are expensive too. I just don't really see a point to it, I'm addicted to the Internet already as it is so if I had the Internet on the palm of my hands everywhere I went ant anytime, I would probably be destroyed.  ;D

YES!

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/12 at 8:14 am

You old fogies are killing me "when I was a kid we didn't need cars. We walked everywhere. And if it was too far to walk we took a horse!"  :D

I GOT IT!!!!  Not the iPhone 5  :P  I got the 4S. I actually found the very last black 4s 64gig in Santa Barbara (for AT&T)  yay me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/12 at 8:19 am

You old fogies are killing me "when I was a kid we didn't need cars. We walked everywhere. And if it was too far to walk we took a horse!"  :D

I GOT IT!!!!  Not the iPhone 5  :P  I got the 4S. I actually found the very last black 4s 64gig in Santa Barbara (for AT&T)  yay me.

Awesome.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/30/12 at 3:18 pm

I don't need it. I have a home phone. People wanna find me, they call me there. I also don't want to become a slave to my phone and be bound by it. And I also like my privacy. I don't want to be accessible all the time with a phone on me.  And I also don't need the extra expense. Having said that, if someone gave me a cell phone for free (and people have offered to), I still would not want one or use it.  I've lived for 49 years without a cell phone, why do I need one now?

to be with the "in crowd"?  ???

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/30/12 at 3:27 pm

I am off topic here, but this is definitely something my father would say lol.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/12 at 3:41 pm

to be with the "in crowd"?  ???

Dobie didn't need a cell phone...    :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwrq1QZKV8

Check for new replies or respond here...