inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gangnam Style: South Korean rapper Psy tops UK chart

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/12 at 2:27 pm

Rapper Psy has become the first South Korean pop star to make it to the top of the UK singles chart with his song Gangnam Style.

The track has become a global phenomenon and the video featuring his famous horse-riding dance is YouTube's most "liked" of all time.

It entered the top 40 at number 37 two weeks ago, jumping to number three last Sunday.

Gangnam Style knocked The Script's Hall of Fame off top spot.

The Irish band are now at number two, with US rapper Flo Rider at number three with his single I Cry.

The highest new entry was DJ Fresh's The Feel at number 13.

Mumford & Sons' new album, Babel, has gone straight to the top of the UK album chart.

The band recently revealed that a song on Babel features a line "lifted completely" from Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

The band's frontman, Marcus Mumford, admitted to being inspired by the Man Booker Prize-winning novel in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Front Row.

He said it was "definitely" a line spoken by central character Thomas Cromwell, but chose not to elaborate.

"I'm not going to tell you which, because I think it might be illegal."

Babel follows their 2009 award-winning debut, Sigh No More, which also re-entered the top 40 this week at number 10.

There is another new entry at number two, Green Day's Uno, the first of a trilogy of albums.

Opera duo Jonathan and Charlotte, who were contestants on the last series of Britain's Got Talent, debuted at number five on the chart with their album, Together.

No Doubt's first album in more than a decade entered the chart at number 16.

Push and Shove is the follow up to 2001's Rock Steady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MQ3AG1c8o

I do not know if this is the pop promo for this song.

Subject: Re: South Korean rapper Psy tops UK chart

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 12:53 am

It reminds me a lot of Rock Me Amadeus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/12 at 1:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1AGTGLL_wg

Remember it was the same inmates that performed Thriller a few years back.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 7:35 am

Rapper Psy has become the first South Korean pop star to make it to the top of the UK singles chart with his song Gangnam Style.

The track has become a global phenomenon and the video featuring his famous horse-riding dance is YouTube's most "liked" of all time.

It entered the top 40 at number 37 two weeks ago, jumping to number three last Sunday.

Gangnam Style knocked The Script's Hall of Fame off top spot.

The Irish band are now at number two, with US rapper Flo Rider at number three with his single I Cry.

The highest new entry was DJ Fresh's The Feel at number 13.

Mumford & Sons' new album, Babel, has gone straight to the top of the UK album chart.

The band recently revealed that a song on Babel features a line "lifted completely" from Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

The band's frontman, Marcus Mumford, admitted to being inspired by the Man Booker Prize-winning novel in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Front Row.

He said it was "definitely" a line spoken by central character Thomas Cromwell, but chose not to elaborate.

"I'm not going to tell you which, because I think it might be illegal."

Babel follows their 2009 award-winning debut, Sigh No More, which also re-entered the top 40 this week at number 10.

There is another new entry at number two, Green Day's Uno, the first of a trilogy of albums.

Opera duo Jonathan and Charlotte, who were contestants on the last series of Britain's Got Talent, debuted at number five on the chart with their album, Together.

No Doubt's first album in more than a decade entered the chart at number 16.

Push and Shove is the follow up to 2001's Rock Steady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MQ3AG1c8o

I do not know if this is the pop promo for this song.

pretty weird dance moves.

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/12 at 6:15 pm

He also topped the chart in Canada as well.  It reached #1 in it's 5th week in the Canadian chart, which is one of the fastest rises to #1 for a foreign language song.  I think it may be the fastest rise to #1

Subject: Re: Gangnam Style: South Korean rapper Psy tops UK chart

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/12 at 2:54 am

Gangnam Style has become the first video to clock up more than one billion views on YouTube.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/12 at 7:08 am

Gangnam Style has become the first video to clock up more than one billion views on YouTube.

That's amazing!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/12 at 8:21 am

That's amazing!  :o
Yes I admit I was one of them.

Written By: karen on 12/27/12 at 5:19 am

For the end of term various staff members at school were filmed doing the dance moves and it was made into a video.  The girls loved watching everyone joining in (including the headmistress!).  All the science technicians danced in one of the labs in our lab coats.  Indiana Bones the skeleton joined in!

Written By: warped on 12/27/12 at 5:45 am

I tried to listen to that song, at least a minute of it, cause there's no way on earth I could tolerate more.
I'd rather listen to "Friday" by Rebecca Black, like 100 times in a row more that this.

I'm speechless at how terrible this is  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/12 at 7:28 am

I tried to listen to that song, at least a minute of it, cause there's no way on earth I could tolerate more.
I'd rather listen to "Friday" by Rebecca Black, like 100 times in a row more that this.

I gave up listening to it after the repetitive play on television and various personalities trying to perform it.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/12 at 8:26 am

I got bored with Gangham Style after a while.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 8:35 am

I kinda dug it at first but I'm sick of it now. I really hope K-Pop doesn't become popular on these shores.  ::)

Written By: tv on 01/01/13 at 6:21 pm

Its a novelty song like "The Macarena" was in 1996.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/13 at 7:00 pm

My Father was listening to this guy last night on Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve and he couldn't understand what the hell he was singing about "opp opp Oppan Gangham Style". He thinks in a couple of years no one will know who the hell he is.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/01/13 at 7:33 pm

Its a novelty song like "The Macarena" was in 1996.

Exactly what I was thinking. Even though Gangnam Style is likely to have some popularity carry over into this year, in the future I believe it will be immediately identified with 2012 in much the same way that the Macarena phenomenon is always identified with '96. It's a catchy little song, but I think we're at about 14:45 on it's fifteen minutes "clock".

Written By: belmont22 on 01/01/13 at 7:53 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. Even though Gangnam Style is likely to have some popularity carry over into this year, in the future I believe it will be immediately identified with 2012 in much the same way that the Macarena phenomenon is always identified with '96. It's a catchy little song, but I think we're at about 14:45 on it's fifteen minutes "clock".

Yeah everyone I know is sick of that song. I admit I kind of liked it at first, but I never really loved it.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 01/01/13 at 9:29 pm

Meanwhile, in Asia:

PSY Appears as Violent Rapist in Japanese Comic Book, South Koreans Enraged

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/12/27/psy-appears-as-violent-rapist-in-japanese-comic-book-south-koreans-enraged/

Written By: Howard on 01/02/13 at 7:02 am

Yeah everyone I know is sick of that song. I admit I kind of liked it at first, but I never really loved it.

plus the sound got annoying.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/15/13 at 9:50 pm

ASO_zypdnsQ
  - Psy is a motherf*BLEEP*kin' Gentleman

Check for new replies or respond here...