inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip-hop radio stations...

Written By: bchris02 on 10/01/12 at 8:52 pm

Does anybody notice hip-hop radio stations are starting to disappear?  I've lived in three cities since 2008, all all three have lost one or more of their hip-hop stations over the past few years.  Most of them are either changing to Top 40 or Hot adult contemporary, which for those unfamiliar with radio is basically an '00s based Top 40 format but without the rap.  Those that remain are playing less rap and more R&B.  As anybody else noticed this?

Subject: Re: Hip-hop radio stations...

Written By: tv on 10/02/12 at 8:49 am

Does anybody notice hip-hop radio stations are starting to disappear?  I've lived in three cities since 2008, all all three have lost one or more of their hip-hop stations over the past few years.  Most of them are either changing to Top 40 or Hot adult contemporary, which for those unfamiliar with radio is basically an '00s based Top 40 format but without the rap.  Those that remain are playing less rap and more R&B.  As anybody else noticed this?
Well here in the New Jersey/New York City market 98.7 moved from being an R&B station(Kiss FM) to ESPN radio(a sports radio station.) The rap stations like Hot 97(97.1 on the dial) and Power 105(105.1 on the dial) are still around. I could see if rap dies like rock did mainstream wise Power 105 just folding up its tent. I don't think the New Jersey/New York City market needs 2 Hip-Hop stations at that point. Up to 2000 or 2001 Hot 97 was the only game in town for Hip-Hop in the New Jersey/New York City market.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 2:05 pm

I guess DJs want to play less rap and more pop rock.

Written By: Emman on 10/02/12 at 4:13 pm

I guess DJs want to play less rap and more pop rock.

No, they want to play more clubby dance-pop.

Check for new replies or respond here...