inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Gangnam Style the new Rock Me Amadeus?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/03/12 at 11:38 pm

Weird video, only a few words an English speaker can understand, electro-rap, does anyone else see the similarity?

Subject: Re: Is Gangnam Style the new Rock Me Amadeus?

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 10/04/12 at 1:53 am

Gangnam Style is the new Call Me Maybe  ::).... Only it's recognized internationally.

Written By: Creeder on 10/04/12 at 3:00 am

Gangnam is the new Macarena.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/04/12 at 6:53 am

I just listened to it today for the first time, and I bought it on iTunes without listening to it first. To me, it sounds like the Korean "Party Rock Anthem".

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 7:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

weird video but quite catchy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/04/12 at 10:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Well, if anyone had any doubts that Kim Jong Un was completely insane, this should remove them.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 10/04/12 at 10:18 am

He reminds me of MC Hammer. 8)

Written By: belmont22 on 10/04/12 at 2:13 pm

Gangnam is the new Macarena.

That's what my dad said. I disagree I think it's more like Falco.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/12 at 3:33 pm

That's what my dad said. I disagree I think it's more like Falco.

How did Falco dance?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/12 at 6:12 pm

Gangnam Style is not the new Rock Me Amadeus, because no one can do what Falco did.

Written By: Starde on 10/04/12 at 10:20 pm

I just listened to it today for the first time, and I bought it on iTunes without listening to it first. To me, it sounds like the Korean "Party Rock Anthem".

If it weren't for Entertainment Weekly and that taxi cab driver having the radio on full blast with this song playing while I was in the backseat the other day, I'd have NO idea what the hell "Gangnam Style" was.

Just finished watching the music video for the first time and this is my reaction right now:

http://cyclonecindy.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/eddie-murphy-wtf.jpg

I admit, it's catchy, but no way is it like "Rock Me Amadeus" to me. To me, I also think it sounds like a Korea's response to "Party Rock Anthem".  Since this song does appear to have a dancing element accompanied to it based off the music video, I can see it becoming like the Macarena. I know 10 years from now when I look back at everything, this song will definitely be high on my "Most Annoying (and Overplayed) Songs of All Time" along with the "Macarena" and "Who Let the Dogs Out" (remember that one?).

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/12 at 10:06 pm

The real difference between Gangnam Style and something like Rock Me Amadeus is that while RMA was a tribute to Amadeus' art and genius, and reveled in the beauty and spectacle of 18th century Austrian music scene, Gangnam Style's a lot more subversive.  The song is actually a wry commentary on the income inequality between the Gangnam district of Seoul and the rest of the country.

9E1o1ftrjL4

And it's damn catchy.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/06/12 at 12:59 am

The real difference between Gangnam Style and something like Rock Me Amadeus is that while RMA was a tribute to Amadeus' art and genius, and reveled in the beauty and spectacle of 18th century Austrian music scene, Gangnam Style's a lot more subversive.  The song is actually a wry commentary on the income inequality between the Gangnam district of Seoul and the rest of the country.

And it's damn catchy.

Now I know what animated images like these are referencing.

http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/media/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSJqMjAxMi8xMC8wNS8wMV80Ml8yMl81NjFfMTEzNzY2X19VTk9QVF9fc2FmZV9kZXJweV9ob292ZXNfYW5pbWF0ZWRfZ2lmX2ZsYXNoX2FydGlzdF9iaWdjY3ZfZGVycHlfc3R5bGUGOgZFVA/113766__safe_derpy-hooves_animated_gif_flash_gangnam-style_artist-bigccv_derpy-style.gifhttp://cdn.derpiboo.ru/media/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSJlMjAxMi8xMC8wNS8wMV8zOF8zMF8xMjlfMTEzNzU3X19VTk9QVF9fc2FmZV9hbmltYXRlZF9jaGVlcmlsZWVfZmxhc2hfZ2FuZ25hbV9zdHlsZV9hcnRpc3RfYmlnY2N2BjoGRVQ/113757__safe_animated_cheerilee_flash_gangnam-style_artist-bigccv.gif

I seen them a while back, but didn't pay any real attention to what they were based on.

Written By: af2010 on 10/06/12 at 10:26 am

Rock Me Amadeus was actually original... this sounds almost exactly like Party Rock Anthem (to me)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/12 at 2:43 am

Now I know what animated images like these are referencing.

http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/media/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSJqMjAxMi8xMC8wNS8wMV80Ml8yMl81NjFfMTEzNzY2X19VTk9QVF9fc2FmZV9kZXJweV9ob292ZXNfYW5pbWF0ZWRfZ2lmX2ZsYXNoX2FydGlzdF9iaWdjY3ZfZGVycHlfc3R5bGUGOgZFVA/113766__safe_derpy-hooves_animated_gif_flash_gangnam-style_artist-bigccv_derpy-style.gifhttp://cdn.derpiboo.ru/media/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSJlMjAxMi8xMC8wNS8wMV8zOF8zMF8xMjlfMTEzNzU3X19VTk9QVF9fc2FmZV9hbmltYXRlZF9jaGVlcmlsZWVfZmxhc2hfZ2FuZ25hbV9zdHlsZV9hcnRpc3RfYmlnY2N2BjoGRVQ/113757__safe_animated_cheerilee_flash_gangnam-style_artist-bigccv.gif

I seen them a while back, but didn't pay any real attention to what they were based on.

There's bipartisan agreement that you gotta know your meme.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, wealthy ladies!
yTCRwi71_ns
  - The gang from CollegeHumor, Mitt Romney Style!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, hope-and-changin'!
Xwh8kWuire8
  - Smooth-E and Alphacat, Obama Style!

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 3:32 pm

I think Gangnam Style is actually pretty cool. It's repetitive though.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/08/12 at 12:41 am

Former Senator Alan Simpson (R-WI) - at age 81 - goes Gangnam Style against the debt.  Yes, if you've heard people talking about "Simpson-Bowles", yes, he's that "Simpson".

kjLuj0EhsQg

We've got a board for politics, but what's important in this thread is that he's having a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/08/12 at 5:41 am

I heard Psy is under fire for saying he thinks US soldiers should be tortured slowly or something, from a 2004 song. It relates to a US tank running over two Korean girls. He's apologized profusely for it because he's performing for Obama.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/08/12 at 1:24 pm

I heard Psy is under fire for saying he thinks US soldiers should be tortured slowly or something, from a 2004 song. It relates to a US tank running over two Korean girls. He's apologized profusely for it because he's performing for Obama.

He's only apologizing because he wants to conquer the American market. This probably won't sink him but it could hamper his progress somewhat.

Check for new replies or respond here...