inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think culture will react against electropop like they did '90s eurodance?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/12 at 11:28 pm

In the early '00s, it was incredibly uncool to listen to '90s eurodance or anything that sounded like it.  Radio stations wouldn't even touch it while playing other more urban songs from the '90s as well as rock hits.  It even went as far as pure electronic music such as techno/trance was shunned and seen as "gay."  The current electropop fad is showing signs of peaking and radio is starting to become more diverse again.  If I am right in that electropop is on its way out, do you think the public will react against it like they did in the early '00s. 

Subject: Re: Do you think culture will react against electropop like they did '90s eurodance?

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 10/17/12 at 12:33 am

You mean by having a fierce backlash against it, and then having an "ironic" revival a few years later?

Subject: Re: Do you think culture will react against electropop like they did '90s eurodance?

Written By: whistledog on 10/17/12 at 6:03 pm

In the early '00s, it was incredibly uncool to listen to '90s eurodance or anything that sounded like it.

I was uncool and damn proud!

Written By: belmont22 on 10/18/12 at 9:24 am

That's kind of true, I remember Chappelle's Show had a skit that made fun of that Dirty Vegas song. That was pretty funny.  ;D

Nobody would have been caught dead listening to Eiffel 65 in 2002, but now it's kind of seen as 90's kitsch you could enjoy somewhat shamelessly because of the memories it brings back.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/12 at 4:29 pm

Nobody would have been caught dead listening to Eiffel 65 in 2002

Maybe YOU wouldn't have been caught dead listening to them in 2002, but do not speak for everyone

Written By: Jquar on 10/18/12 at 7:41 pm

I think it was mostly just the suburban white gangsta wannabes who turned vocally against eurodance. Most other people either enjoyed it for its corniness or had always listened to other stuff.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/18/12 at 10:51 pm

You mean by having a fierce backlash against it, and then having an "ironic" revival a few years later?

To me, the Lady Gaga-esque late '00s and early '10s electropop sounds nothing like '90s eurodance.  Artists like Katy Perry are more of a disgrace to true electronica than Eiffel 65 ever thought of being.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 10/19/12 at 10:48 pm

To me, the Lady Gaga-esque late '00s and early '10s electropop sounds nothing like '90s eurodance.  Artists like Katy Perry are more of a disgrace to true electronica than Eiffel 65 ever thought of being.

That's more "tragic" than "ironic."

I was talking about how popular Eurodance music got popular in the mid 00's through internet meme's like "Numa Numa Guy", or "What is Love?", which (I think anyway) led to the actual revival of artists like Darude and the popularity of "techno remixes" on Youtube.

Written By: Emman on 10/21/12 at 12:17 am

That's more "tragic" than "ironic."

I was talking about how popular Eurodance music got popular in the mid 00's through internet meme's like "Numa Numa Guy", or "What is Love?", which (I think anyway) led to the actual revival of artists like Darude and the popularity of "techno remixes" on Youtube.

Eurodance was not popular at all in the mid '00s(at least in the US), this was the time period it was reviled the most. eurodance influenced hip-hop and R&B first emerged around '07 and exploded in '09.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/21/12 at 12:26 am

Eurodance was not popular at all in the mid '00s(at least in the US), this was the time period it was reviled the most. eurodance influenced hip-hop and R&B first emerged around '07 and exploded in '09.

Agreed.  The gay community and tech nerds liked electronica in the mid-00s but virtually nobody else did.  Youtube in the beginning was most popular with those two demographics so that probably explains why electronic music was somewhat popular on Youtube.  Most of your average joes weren't familiar with Youtube in 2005.

Written By: Forest on 10/21/12 at 12:59 am

Agreed.  The gay community and tech nerds liked electronica in the mid-00s but virtually nobody else did.  Youtube in the beginning was most popular with those two demographics so that probably explains why electronic music was somewhat popular on Youtube.  Most of your average joes weren't familiar with Youtube in 2005.

I'll give you the YouTube comment. I didn't know about it until late 2006.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 10/21/12 at 3:16 am

You're right. It was definitely the later 00's, after Youtube broke out. Memories from my HS underclassmen years are always jumbled up.

It was mostly a nerd revival, but it caught on with alot of burnouts too. I remember alot of my emo-ish friends listening to Basshunter and Cascada. It was just certain songs that people played to their friends for fun, not anything that affected the charts.

Written By: af2010 on 10/21/12 at 4:50 am

It'll happen eventually.  Has there ever been an overly flamboyant style of music that hasn't been reacted against?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 10/21/12 at 11:05 pm

It'll happen eventually.  Has there ever been an overly flamboyant style of music that hasn't been reacted against?

they already are silently

Written By: Starde on 10/22/12 at 5:14 pm

You're right. It was definitely the later 00's, after Youtube broke out. Memories from my HS underclassmen years are always jumbled up.

It was mostly a nerd revival, but it caught on with alot of burnouts too. I remember alot of my emo-ish friends listening to Basshunter and Cascada. It was just certain songs that people played to their friends for fun, not anything that affected the charts.

Yeah, I remember "Everytime We Touch" by Cascada being the only huge dance song when I was in high school back then.

Check for new replies or respond here...