inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think violence in the media is less cool and prevalent now?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/18/12 at 1:21 am

It seems like blood, gore, serial killers, brutality and so on was all the rage in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and early 00's in live action movies and also in animation. The cartoons from the 90's and early 00's were so violent, the only current one I can think that's gruesome and brutal is Adventure Time. Gangsta rap, punk, heavy metal and other genres that incorporated violence are also less mainstream. Do you think pop culture is becoming more squeamish and clean?

On the other hand I hear more profanity on TV than I ever heard in the 90's and early 00's, though it doesn't stand out as much since it's just how people talk now.  ::)

Subject: Re: Do you think violence in the media is less cool and prevalent now?

Written By: joeman on 10/18/12 at 8:29 am

It seems like blood, gore, serial killers, brutality and so on was all the rage in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and early 00's in live action movies and also in animation. The cartoons from the 90's and early 00's were so violent, the only current one I can think that's gruesome and brutal is Adventure Time. Gangsta rap, punk, heavy metal and other genres that incorporated violence are also less mainstream. Do you think pop culture is becoming more squeamish and clean?

On the other hand I hear more profanity on TV than I ever heard in the 90's and early 00's, though it doesn't stand out as much since it's just how people talk now.  ::)

No offense dude, but all your topics are coming off the same.  Heck, you remind me of another poster here that just makes topics and not really post in other threads.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/18/12 at 9:23 am

No offense dude, but all your topics are coming off the same.  Heck, you remind me of another poster here that just makes topics and not really post in other threads.

What are you talking about, I post in a lot of threads. Do you have any opinion on the topic or do you just want to judge me?

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/12 at 11:01 am

I'm with Jim...most of the topics you start have been discussed before...many if them several times before. I think many of us would prefer you research the different boards and see the old divisions rather than starting all over again.

And, since I didn't want to be the first to mention it, your posting style is really similar to a member who seems to like to come back again and again.

Written By: joeman on 10/18/12 at 11:34 am

I'm with Jim...most of the topics you start have been discussed before...many if them several times before. I think many of us would prefer you research the different boards and see the old divisions rather than starting all over again.

And, since I didn't want to be the first to mention it, your posting style is really similar to a member who seems to like to come back again and again.

I think he is youngerderek

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/smf/1302620643.shtml

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/12 at 12:03 pm

I think he is youngerderek

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe90s/smf/1302620643.shtml

You may be right

Written By: Howard on 10/18/12 at 3:45 pm

Exactly Snoz his topics do seem a bit weird.

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/12 at 4:44 pm

Squeamish and clean?  Sounds like a bad rap duo

Who uses the word squeamish?  I had forgotten all about that word, I had to look up its definition to remind myself what it means.  Squeamish.  SQUEAMISH!?

I do know one thing:  Do not do a google search for the word squeamish.  I just saw things I cannot unsee.  Excuse me while I go and cry myself to sleep

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/12 at 6:05 pm

Squeamish and clean?  Sounds like a bad rap duo

Who uses the word squeamish?  I had forgotten all about that word, I had to look up its definition to remind myself what it means.  Squeamish.  SQUEAMISH!?

I do know one thing:  Do not do a google search for the word squeamish.  I just saw things I cannot unsee.  Excuse me while I go and cry myself to sleep

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/18/12 at 6:13 pm

??? Donnie Darko ? ???

Written By: joeman on 10/20/12 at 2:30 pm

You didn't have to delete your account man...just more considerate when making your posts.

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/12 at 4:39 pm

Maybe he will re-join and then re-delete again.  Seemed like repetition was his thing

Written By: Howard on 10/20/12 at 7:32 pm

You didn't have to delete your account man...just more considerate when making your posts.

that guy belmont?  Thank god! ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/12 at 11:30 pm

Bummer. He had a fair number of karma points built up, too.  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/21/12 at 3:17 am

You may be right

In the 80s it would have been a Billy Joel reference.

Jo9t5XK0FhA

And we might be crazy.
Did we have his number,
Or ragequit, maybe?

In the 10s, it's a Carly Rae Jepsen reference.

I'll kinda miss the guy.  Even at his most prolific, he kept the decadeology to a dull roar at the loudest.  Either way, no hard feelings; let's all calm down, it's only zeroes and ones.  (Obligatory 90s reference ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/12 at 3:19 pm

But he decided to leave.

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/12 at 3:49 pm

But he decided to leave.

He'll be back.  He always comes back.

Hell...he might already be back

Written By: warped on 10/21/12 at 3:52 pm

How do you know, can you see the forest through the trees?  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/12 at 4:08 pm

How do you know, can you see the forest through the trees?  ;)

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/21/12 at 4:09 pm

Well, we'll see about this.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/24/12 at 8:38 pm

Does anyone have any opinions on this topic? It seems like today's pop culture is less edgy. I did decide to come back.

Check for new replies or respond here...