inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weather worse than the 'perfect storm' threatens the U.S. East Coast

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/25/12 at 1:03 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/hurricane-sandy-new-york-delaware_n_2013788.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

" It is likely to hit during a full moon, when tides are near their highest, increasing coastal flooding potential NOAA forecasts warn. And with some trees still leafy and the potential for snow, power outages could last to Election Day, some meteorologists fear. They say it has all the earmarks of a billion-dallar storm."

For those of us living in that area, are you preparing for this storm? I certainly am and I am not waiting till the last minute!

Subject: Re: Weather worse than the 'perfect storm' threatens the U.S. East Coast

Written By: warped on 10/25/12 at 1:12 pm

(puts confederate bandana around my head)

I'm ready!

(Mitt Romney) Must protect my binders!! I'll hire some poor people to do it.
:D

Seriuously, I hope the storm stays out at sea and no lives are lost.

Subject: Re: Weather worse than the 'perfect storm' threatens the U.S. East Coast

Written By: Howard on 10/25/12 at 1:37 pm

I don't know what kind of weather we're gonna get but whatever it turns out to be (snow or heavy downpour of rain) I'm prepared.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/25/12 at 5:55 pm

Not much to do but bring in the lawn furniture, make sure the cellar pump is operational, make sure I have batteries, and a full tank of gas. What is gonna happen will happen.  If I lost power we'll go to Sigs, if Sig loses power we'll stay here. That's about the best we can do.

Written By: Inertia on 10/25/12 at 6:12 pm

I don't live near the coast so I'm safe. However, it definitely sucks for those who are in this hurricane's path.  :(

Written By: Jquar on 10/25/12 at 7:23 pm

Just going to rain more here in the PNW. Lots.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 7:46 am

I don't live near the coast so I'm safe. However, it definitely sucks for those who are in this hurricane's path.  :(

They said the path might be Sunday and Monday and possibly into Tuesday Morning.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 7:47 am

I think "Frankenstorm" is such a silly name.

Written By: Inertia on 10/26/12 at 10:54 am

They said the path might be Sunday and Monday and possibly into Tuesday Morning.

Well I hope everyone in the way of this storm stays safe!

Written By: Macaroni Man on 10/26/12 at 12:03 pm

I live on the east coast. 

I have...important documents to finish and send, and satelitte internet will be the first to go from merely thick clouds.  But if we lose POWER, and I won't even be able to WORK on them when my computer goes, I'll flip a table.  And then if I can't DRIVE to someone else's house with cable internet and power because the ROADS are blocked by trees or flooded, I'll An Hero. 

Even worse, Halloween's coming Wednesday, and....oh wait, I guess no power on Halloween will actually INCREASE the Spirit!  Zombie time. 

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 1:50 pm

Well I hope everyone in the way of this storm stays safe!

I'm imagining what Pathmark might be tomorrow afternoon I'm outside doing carts from 2-6, it could be a crazy scene.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 1:52 pm

Even worse, Halloween's coming Wednesday, and....oh wait, I guess no power on Halloween will actually INCREASE the Spirit!  Zombie time. 

For me that's good, this means my neighborhood will stay quiet.

Written By: warped on 10/27/12 at 7:49 am

We're supposed to receive lots of rain, no indication of snow here. (Southern Ontario)

"As it turns back to the north and northwest and merges with colder air from a winter system, West Virginia and further west into eastern Ohio and southern Pennsylvania are expected to get snow. "

When I hear predictions of "2 feet of snow" in places, a little odd for October.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL_sm2+gif/120153W5_NL_sm.gif

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/12 at 7:58 am

I survived Ice Storm '98.  What's a little snow?  Nothing I cannot handle!

Written By: loki 13 on 10/27/12 at 8:49 am

We're supposed to receive lots of rain, no indication of snow here. (Southern Ontario)

"As it turns back to the north and northwest and merges with colder air from a winter system, West Virginia and further west into eastern Ohio and southern Pennsylvania are expected to get snow. "

When I hear predictions of "2 feet of snow" in places, a little odd for October.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL_sm2+gif/120153W5_NL_sm.gif

Since they have been keeping such records, no hurricane has ever made landfall in New Jersey. It probably won't be
a hurricane when it hits so that record is safe. It doesn't make this storm any less dangerous though and if I were to
put a push pin in a map to show where I live, that 2:00 AM Tue. circle is pretty much where I'd put it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/27/12 at 8:54 am

Stay safe, my friends.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/12 at 12:42 pm

Last year there was a major snowstorm for Halloween-well, south of here that is.

Vermont is a bit worried that Sandy is going to be like Irene. We are STILL cleaning up from Irene.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/27/12 at 5:59 pm

NOAA's latest forecast model has the storm making landfall in Delaware, then going inland over Washington, DC, Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York City. It is expected to collide with an arctic air mass overland along with a storm coming from the west. Some forecast models are calling for several feet of heavy snow in West Virginia, Virginia and Kentucky, with high winds as well. Heavy rain and winds would pound pretty much the entire Eastern Seaboard, causing flooding and major power outages. Still hoping the storm will skirt the coast and go out to sea, but that is looking less and less likely:

http://www.migueldante.com/2012/10/h...ightmare.html#

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=305400#ixzz2AXjkXNUr

Written By: Macaroni Man on 10/27/12 at 6:07 pm

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mckbbvKGcz1qaousqo1_500.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/12 at 6:38 pm

Last year's Halloween storm left me without power for a week.  I don't need the ag.

Looks like it's going to turn inland far south of Massachusetts.  My prayers for life, limb, and property to be spared.
:o

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 7:30 pm

Stay safe, my friends.  :(

and stay thirsty too.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 7:32 pm

New York will probably get about 6-12 inches of rain and that will cause a big flood, last year we got a bit of snow and ice so we'll see what happens on Monday night into Tuesday.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/12 at 11:37 pm

UMass is closed Monday and so are many schools and activities.  I'm not too worried about it.  I don't blame everybody for taking extra precautions because the late October storm of 2011.  However, the storm is tracking south and east of Mass.

1. Don't panic.
2. Always know where your towel is.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/12 at 4:46 am

They are saying more wind than rain for Massachusetts.  The people who should be worried are the people on the coasts because of the flooding. Well, to all those people who buy oceanfront homes and want to believe it is possible to own the beach, and work hard to deny access to the public, welcome to the Titanic

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/29/12 at 5:54 am

I wonder if somebody has started printing up "I Survived Perfect Storm 2012" t-shirts yet?

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 6:51 am

UMass is closed Monday and so are many schools and activities.  I'm not too worried about it.  I don't blame everybody for taking extra precautions because the late October storm of 2011.  However, the storm is tracking south and east of Mass.

1. Don't panic.
2. Always know where your towel is.

Over here in New York, mass transit has been shut down so I won't be going into work today and maybe not tomorrow either.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 6:52 am

I wonder if somebody has started printing up "I Survived Perfect Storm 2012" t-shirts yet?

;D

not yet, not until after the storm has gone away.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 6:55 am

It looks like Sandy might hit us later this afternoon Monday. Winds are quite gusty now and later even gustier.  :o

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 7:02 am

It looks like Sandy might hit us later this afternoon Monday. Winds are quite gusty now and later even gustier.  :o

The storm is so big that (apparently) we are already receiving rain from it, way up in Ontario.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 7:48 am

The storm is so big that (apparently) we are already receiving rain from it, way up in Ontario.

How much rain?  ???

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 7:52 am

How much rain?  ???

Well, not much compared to what the East Coast is getting. We are expecting maybe 40mph winds (gusts to 60) and 50 mm of rain, that's all. But that will arrive tonight or tomorrow here.

Written By: meesa on 10/29/12 at 8:20 am

For those of you that are going to be affected, be careful and safe! Thinking of you today!

Written By: nally on 10/29/12 at 8:32 am

For those of you that are going to be affected, be careful and safe! Thinking of you today!

My thoughts exactly!

Right now I am looking at the news and it says that the state of Maryland has just been affected... and people are being evacuated from the areas.

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 12:36 pm

And as mentioned in another thread, for those affected by the storm, check in if you can and let us know how you are doing and how the storm is affecting you.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 2:06 pm

Well, not much compared to what the East Coast is getting. We are expecting maybe 40mph winds (gusts to 60) and 50 mm of rain, that's all. But that will arrive tonight or tomorrow here.

wow stay safe.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Meesa, Right Now we are just getting huge gale force winds and light rain with leaves on the ground.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 2:09 pm

And as mentioned in another thread, for those affected by the storm, check in if you can and let us know how you are doing and how the storm is affecting you.

I'm doing fine, it's the gale force winds that are very powerful here. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/12 at 2:11 pm

I'm doing fine, it's the gale force winds that are very powerful here. :o
At this moment of time, you do not have to evacuate?

Written By: meesa on 10/29/12 at 2:23 pm

Talked to a friend in Delaware, they are not evacuating where she is located (inland), but she is taking precautions. Her grill relocated itself this morning before she could get it secured.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 3:24 pm

No we just stay in our homes, windows closed.

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 4:06 pm

Got this off twitter, from East Hampton, NY
From earlier today.

Written By: nally on 10/29/12 at 4:34 pm

^ Ouch! :o

No we just stay in our homes, windows closed.

Probably the best thing to do.

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 4:38 pm

^ Ouch! :o

And right after I posted this, we lost power for about 10 to 15 minutes. Even though we are really far away from New Jersey, we still are getting winds of (about) 40 to 50mph right now (gusts), and rain. I'm guessing the power outage is due to the storm.

Written By: tv on 10/29/12 at 5:11 pm

The storm is a bad storm in real Southern Jersey Coast like the Atlantic City Coast down to Cape May here in Jersey. I live in Somerset County, NJ in Central Jersey and we are just getting alot of wind no rain though. Some branches fell off trees in the backyard and slam against the house and found theor way to the deck. This storm is not as bad as Irene was.

I know the storm is real bad in Ocean City, Maryland I think. People were forced to evacuate there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/12 at 5:16 pm

From earlier today.

I hope they weren't hurt and they have insurance.

And right after I posted this, we lost power for about 10 to 15 minutes. Even though we are really far away from New Jersey, we still are getting winds of (about) 40 to 50mph right now (gusts), and rain. I'm guessing the power outage is due to the storm.

Those bands are whipping around and hitting you before they hit us. It was raining for a bit but now it has stopped. We have had the wind for the past couple of days now. But, the gusts are getting bigger. My poor cat is nervous.

Cat

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 5:17 pm

From CNN at 6pm
"More than 1.5 million customers are without power due to Sandy, about double the amount just a few hours earlier."

Written By: nally on 10/29/12 at 5:27 pm

Possibly so. I saw on the national weather map this morning that the northeast section of the U.S. was heavily affected; I wondered if portions of eastern Canada were also in the path.
I hope everyone in that general area can stay safe.

Written By: Starde on 10/29/12 at 5:28 pm

Yeah, I'm out here in the city and the winds have been insane outside my window all day! :o

Written By: Dagwood on 10/29/12 at 6:45 pm

Over here in New York, mass transit has been shut down so I won't be going into work today and maybe not tomorrow either.

I just saw a picture of a subway station.  It was totally empty. 

Written By: Dagwood on 10/29/12 at 6:46 pm

I think they only required evacuation from the lower laying communities.  Not all of New York was evacuated.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/12 at 7:06 pm

A four story building collapsed in NYC.

http://p.twimg.com/A6ZyHTMCQAAyE6C.jpg:small

There is also a crane dangling from a high rise.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/MDftqDPySH.BBxlHBYnZDw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0xMDI0O3E9Nzk7dz0xNTM2/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-10-29T201012Z_107061670_GM1E8AU0BEV01_RTRMADP_3_STORM-SANDY-CRANE.JPG

Half a million customers without power now in Southern New England.  I'm sure my sisters are without power.

Cat

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 7:20 pm

Half a million customers without power now in Southern New England.  I'm sure my sisters are without power.

Cat

USA: More than 2.2 million customers are without power in 11 states and the District of Columbia, according to data from utility companies.
I know there are some without power in Canada to, according to the news.

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 7:35 pm

From flickr in the last 10 minutes

9th + 11th St. NYC

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8136902978_1aaaa6f446.jpg

Historic Colgate Clock is an island as area around Goldman Sach's Jersey City office floods.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8136867277_fbc52fe9f8.jpg

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 7:45 pm

Lower east side of Manhattan.  (from twitter)

Wow.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/12 at 8:37 pm

I hope everyone else in it's path fairs well. So far so good here, I still have power and very little flooding.
Winds are still really gusting but the rain has let up a bit. I guess living in a town with Mount in it's name
has some benefits.

As I type this the wind has really picked up. We're not out of the woods yet but I'm hoping the worst is over.

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 9:19 pm

Hoboken PATh train station, NYC, earlier tonight

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8137094929_fefbe96dc3.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/12 at 9:26 pm

There have only been a few deaths in the NYC area, but that flooding is horrible.  It's going to cost billions.
:(

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/12 at 11:23 pm

This is just awful. :(

We're getting wind (a LOT of wind) from the East.  Gusts up to 40 mph.  I think it is more though, because some of these gusts are shaking the floor.

People are being warned to stay away from Lake Michigan due to flooding and high waves.  Nothing as major as what everyone is experiencing on the Eastern Seaboard, but this storm's reach is just insane.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 3:13 am

It must be terrible and terrifying at times living in the path of the storm. I can't imagine what it must be like, although yesterday I've seen some livecam pictures from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. No fun at all.

According to the latest reports, 13 people have died in US and Canada. Approximately 5.7 million people are without power (other sources say it's even up to 6.3 million).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/30/12 at 3:17 am

There is also a crane dangling from a high rise.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/MDftqDPySH.BBxlHBYnZDw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0xMDI0O3E9Nzk7dz0xNTM2/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-10-29T201012Z_107061670_GM1E8AU0BEV01_RTRMADP_3_STORM-SANDY-CRANE.JPG

Cat

One of our members here, CoolHandLogan (he doesn't post very often, I know him from other message boards), he made a video of the crane in action just a few months ago...

http://youtu.be/W1qWHl4LY3Uhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qWHl4LY3U&feature=plcp

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/12 at 3:30 am

Been raining for 2 solid days here in The Burgh...  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/12 at 3:45 am

Everything turned out o.k. here in the Boston area.  There have been some problems but nothing like what is going on in New York City.  No school yesterday and today so me and the boys will take a ride to see the waves. 

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 5:07 am

So far in Canada we haven't got as much rain as anticipated, but strong winds. 1 person has died (In Canada) and about 200,000 are without power. I know that's nothing like the US figures (so far 15 deaths and about 6.5 million without power).
When the sun rises on the east coast (in about an hour) we will learn more of the devastation on the US east coast  :-[

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 5:43 am

A levee broke in New Jersey, causing a flooding of Moonachie, Little Ferry and Carlstadt. About 4 feet of water in the streets over there, or so I've read.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 6:47 am

A levee broke in New Jersey, causing a flooding of Moonachie, Little Ferry and Carlstadt. About 4 feet of water in the streets over there, or so I've read.

Not being very familiar with US topography, I just checked to see where exactly this flooding must've happened. Looks like it's only some 6 miles NW of Manhattan.

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 6:48 am

CNN
More than 7 million customers in the Northeast USA are now without power due to superstorm Sandy.

The latest include:New York: 1.8 million; New Jersey: 2.3 million; Massachusetts: 322,000; Pennsylvania: 1.2 million; Connecticut: 619,000; Delaware: 72,000; Washington, D.C.: 24,000; Maryland: 195,000; Rhode Island: 117,000; New Hampshire: 234,000; Maine: 83,000

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 6:50 am

CNN
More than 7 million customers in the Northeast USA are now without power due to superstorm Sandy.

The latest include:New York: 1.8 million; New Jersey: 2.3 million; Massachusetts: 322,000; Pennsylvania: 1.2 million; Connecticut: 619,000; Delaware: 72,000; Washington, D.C.: 24,000; Maryland: 195,000; Rhode Island: 117,000; New Hampshire: 234,000; Maine: 83,000

Vermont hasn't been struck...yet? ???

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 7:01 am

Vermont hasn't been struck...yet? ???

I noticed that too, no figures released for Vermont. Since it's between New York State & New Hampshire, I assume it has power outages, just no figures included on CNN's page.
From another website, I read over 10,000 with power out in Vermont. I believe that figure is a little low.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/30/12 at 7:18 am

To quote Elton John, "I'm Still Standing."

Things here have calmed down quite a bit. I'm here, we're fine and after all that, all I can say is "HOLY CRAP."

I feel fortunate, lucky, grateful and yet somewhat guilty. I was right in it's path, the storms eye past pretty much
right over head and it appears that was the best place to be. There was total devastation to the north and south
but with all that could've happened we came out pretty much unscathed. I haven't been out and about yet but
looking up and down the street all looks well.

My thoughts are with all those who are still in the crosshairs, please take all precautions, stay safe.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 7:40 am

To quote Elton John, "I'm Still Standing."

Things here have calmed down quite a bit. I'm here, we're fine and after all that, all I can say is "HOLY CRAP."

I feel fortunate, lucky, grateful and yet somewhat guilty. I was right in it's path, the storms eye past pretty much
right over head and it appears that was the best place to be. There was total devastation to the north and south
but with all that could've happened we came out pretty much unscathed. I haven't been out and about yet but
looking up and down the street all looks well.

My thoughts are with all those who are still in the crosshairs, please take all precautions, stay safe.

Glad to hear you're all OK. :)

Written By: karen on 10/30/12 at 8:40 am

Glad to hear you're all OK. :)

Ditto

Friends in Connecticut have all lost power.  No major damage reported, but one family had a crushed trampoline and another had a section of siding ripped off their home.

Written By: seamermar on 10/30/12 at 8:41 am

Me too, I'm glad no penguin washed away to the ocean :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/30/12 at 9:22 am

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/superstorm-leaves-blazes-wake-least-50-homes-burned-125634618.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CT44Y9QKRUAk3nQtDMD

There are a bunch of houses on fire in Queens (a neighborhood in NYC)(I think Howard lives in Queens, although I know it's a big huge neighborhood.)  Hope he's ok.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/30/12 at 9:41 am

Ladybug312 is ok, just saw her on Facebook.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/30/12 at 9:46 am

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/superstorm-leaves-blazes-wake-least-50-homes-burned-125634618.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CT44Y9QKRUAk3nQtDMD

There are a bunch of houses on fire in Queens (a neighborhood in NYC)(I think Howard lives in Queens, although I know it's a big huge neighborhood.)  Hope he's ok.

I heard about that too and I was thinking the same thing.  I hope he's all right.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 10:03 am

Ladybug312 is ok, just saw her on Facebook.

That's good.

I heard about that too and I was thinking the same thing.  I hope he's all right.

I'm hoping the same.

From the article I understand the houses destroyed by the fire are in an evacuated part of Queens, so probably not anywhere near Howard's.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 10:56 am

Latest figures: 21 dead, and over 8 million without power.

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 11:08 am

I hope Howard & his family are OK too, lots of flooding in parts of Queens too. (just saw video on TV about that)  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/12 at 11:21 am

The sun is shinning here right now. Last night it rained off & on and we had some gusts of wind-but we have seen worse. Our electricity didn't even flicker. We didn't even lose satellite which we do frequently when it rains. I lost internet for about 2 minutes about 5 minutes ago or so. Don't know what that was about. We are still under a wind advisory.

Heard from my nephew in NYC and all is well with him. Haven't heard from my niece (also in NYC) nor have I heard from either one of my sisters in Conn. I'm sure they are without electricity.  I am concerned about one of my sisters because she lives about 3 or 4 blocks from the beach.  :-\\

Cat

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/30/12 at 11:55 am

We were without power since 3:30 pm yesterday, and we just got it back now. There are still areas in the east coast without power though. I know exactly what they are going through and it is not fun. I hope they get theirs soon...

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 1:37 pm

Glad that all those who have signed in and affected by the storm are OK.
I'm waiting to hear from my sister who has a place in Glen Cove NY but I don't think she was there at the time. She travels a lot.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/12 at 2:20 pm

Glad that all those who have signed in and affected by the storm are OK.
I'm waiting to hear from my sister who has a place in Glen Cove NY but I don't think she was there at the time. She travels a lot.

Still waiting to hear from my sisters, too.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/30/12 at 3:40 pm

I hope Howard & his family are OK too, lots of flooding in parts of Queens too. (just saw video on TV about that)  :-[

I hope so as well.

I know that Kkay (Belle du Jour) is in that area too and she is ok (saw her post(s) on Facebook), all things considered.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/12 at 4:50 pm

Milford, Conn.

http://nhregister.slideshowpro.com/albums/047/905/album-361681/cache/1030sandy044.sJPG_900_540_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG?1351633365

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/12 at 9:40 pm

The destruction is overwhelming, even just seeing it on TV.  Wow!  So much water.
http://director.denverpost.com/p.php?a=JCIhMSI4bHFbQn5wYW1iamxvSVRoZW57WGRscnZNNiQ8WFFUJjkjMz0nOyM0LT42Ojo3JTI%2FLjYqPDEuJzc5Ij4xPz8nJjQ%3D&m=1351618314

It's more than just water...it's oil and sewage too.
8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/12 at 11:53 am

Heard from one of my sisters. She got electricity sometime in the middle of the night. Haven't heard from the other one yet-the one who lives 3 or 4 blocks from the beach.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/12 at 3:34 pm

I hope Howard is ok.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/12 at 3:54 pm

I hope Howard is ok.

Cat

He hasn't posted since Monday

Written By: nally on 10/31/12 at 4:03 pm

He hasn't posted since Monday

I hope so too. Either he's taking time off, or he's without power.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/31/12 at 4:25 pm

Tia is ok, saw him on Facebook.  :)

Written By: warped on 10/31/12 at 4:39 pm

I hope so too. Either he's taking time off, or he's without power.

He could be one of the millions still without power. I think Howard would be here if he could.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/12 at 7:33 pm

Tia is ok, saw him on Facebook.  :)

My relatives in DC said they didn't even lose power.  They were spared. 

My cousins in Brooklyn and my friends in Tribeca are still without power, but they didn't get flooded.  They had elevation at their advantage. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/01/12 at 12:13 am

There's a lot of folks thousands of miles away who spent the past couple of days saying "HOLY CRAP."

Good to hear that most of those here, who were in harm's way, have made it through.  Stay safe out there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/12 at 1:47 am

He could be one of the millions still without power. I think Howard would be here if he could.
I saw on the news that electronic transformers are down after sparking into flame, let's hope all is back to normal soon.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/01/12 at 6:15 am

Still no word from Howard  :(

Written By: danootaandme on 11/01/12 at 7:17 am

note:

2008/11/5

http://i.imgur.com/VzP7H.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 11/01/12 at 7:39 am

This is what I am thinking.  Howard will be back soon with some stories to tell.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/12 at 10:04 am

I HOPE that he is just without power. I believe he lives in Queens and what really worries me is THIS:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-31/sandy-s-wind-and-fire-leave-queens-peninsula-residents-homeless

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/12 at 11:25 am

Carlos called the Ozone Park Pathmark to check up on Howard. They said that he was at work yesterday. Carlos left a message for him to call. We will see if he does.

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 11:28 am

Carlos called the Ozone Park Pathmark to check up on Howard. They said that he was at work yesterday. Carlos left a message for him to call. We will see if he does.

Cat

Thank you to Carlos & you for checking in on Howard. Very glad to know he is safe

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/01/12 at 1:31 pm

He could be one of the millions still without power.

It is possible he is. I am checking in on any news if those who are still without power will get it back soon. I hope so. I was without power because of the storm for an entire day and it was not good. I can imagine being without it for days.

Written By: nally on 11/01/12 at 2:02 pm

Thank you to Carlos & you for checking in on Howard. Very glad to know he is safe

Ditto.

I think so too.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 7:12 pm

Wow, it's killed 160 people! That's pretty terrible. It's not quite Katrina, but still.  :o

Written By: Dagwood on 11/01/12 at 9:14 pm

Cat

Great to know.  Thank Carlos for us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/12 at 11:44 pm

Cat

Yeah, I was guessing he was just out of power.  They should have power in Queens by early next week.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/03/12 at 3:44 pm

Who, and when, is going to tell the people of Staten Island that they are going to have to leave?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/12 at 8:22 pm

Those lazy un-American bums don't have no jobs just wanna sit on their asses and do drugs all day, they deserve to drown!
(NYU students, that is.)
:-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/12 at 8:02 am

Another Nor'easter headed this way around Wednesday. It isn't seen as devasting as the last one, but it will be on top of that and hamper clean up.  :(

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/northeast-chilly-new-storm-20121102

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:03 pm

From earlier today.

I've seen those around our neighborhood, half of the streets have down trees. :o

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:04 pm

I just saw a picture of a subway station.  It was totally empty.

and flooded? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:08 pm

I'm ok, our computer shut down along with the elctricity at exactly 5:30pm so now we have nothing except hot water, candles and flashlights and with my Father's bursitis and arthritis and my Mother's bit of depression being stuck in the house, It's terrible. :(

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:08 pm

I'm ok, thanks for asking.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:09 pm

That's good.

I'm hoping the same.

From the article I understand the houses destroyed by the fire are in an evacuated part of Queens, so probably not anywhere near Howard's.

I think that was Breezy Point.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:10 pm

My family's is doing well, I'm just waiting for the stupid ConEd to bring back the power. >:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/04/12 at 6:10 pm

I'm ok, thanks for asking.  :)

Glad to hear you're OK.  :)

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 6:11 pm

I think that was Breezy Point.

How far is that from you?

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:14 pm

I am here just posting a bit at my buddy's house till my power comes back, hopefully this week.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/12 at 6:15 pm

We were all worried about you

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:15 pm

Still no word from Howard  :(

I'm here at a friend's house, will be back soon. don't you worry.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:16 pm

This is what I am thinking.  Howard will be back soon with some stories to tell.

Oh Boy do I ever.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/12 at 6:16 pm

Glad to see you back, Howard. As Danoota said, we were all worried about you.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:17 pm

Cat

Yes I was at work that day.

Great to know.  Thank Carlos for us.

Thank Carlos for me too. :)

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 6:17 pm

Oh Boy do I ever.  :o

I guess you're gonna fudge "Sandy" pretty soon. We are all happy you are safe and back.

Yeah, I was guessing he was just out of power.  They should have power in Queens by early next week.

I hope so.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/12 at 6:18 pm

Thank Carlos for me too. :)

Will Do.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:18 pm

Another Nor'easter headed this way around Wednesday. It isn't seen as devasting as the last one, but it will be on top of that and hamper clean up.  :(

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/northeast-chilly-new-storm-20121102

probably looks more like rain.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:19 pm

How far is that from you?

I think that was Long Island.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:20 pm

We were all worried about you

Thanks for your concern I'm hungry, cold and sometimes constipated. :( I want my freakin POWER!  >:(

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:21 pm

Glad to see you back, Howard. As Danoota said, we were all worried about you.

Cat

I'm not "back" back I'm at a friend's house doing a little posting until our house and most of our neighborhood gets power back on.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 6:23 pm

I guess you're gonna fudge "Sandy" pretty soon. We are all happy you are safe and back.

I'll fudge Sandy infinity but I'm not "back" back just doing some posting until my power comes back on so I'll be back soon. ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/04/12 at 6:57 pm

and flooded? ???

No, the pics I saw were from Monday before Sandy hit.  Just empty.  I haven't seen any of the flooded pics.

Glad you are okay. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/04/12 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for your concern I'm hungry, cold and sometimes constipated. :( I want my freakin POWER!  >:(

(Y'know, in a disaster situation, that third thing might not be so bad!)

But seriously, it's good to see you back, Howard.  Stay safe, because we're looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the postapocalypse!

Written By: Starde on 11/06/12 at 2:14 am

Good to know that people affected by the hurricane on this board are alright. Last week was definitely a week to remember for me. I live in lower Manhattan so I didn't have power, cellphone signal and heat until this past Friday night. My roommates and I found ourselves going uptown everyday to talk to our families and friends and recharge our phones. It was crazy seeing New York divide into a city of light and a city of darkness. And it was surreal walking through lower Manhattan in pitch darkness and with almost no people around. It was so creepy, I just had to take pictures. Won't be forgetting this for a long time.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/06/12 at 3:22 am

Good to know that people affected by the hurricane on this board are alright. Last week was definitely a week to remember for me. I live in lower Manhattan so I didn't have power, cellphone signal and heat until this past Friday night. My roommates and I found ourselves going uptown everyday to talk to our families and friends and recharge our phones. It was crazy seeing New York divide into a city of light and a city of darkness. And it was surreal walking through lower Manhattan in pitch darkness and with almost no people around. It was so creepy, I just had to take pictures. Won't be forgetting this for a long time.

It must have felt like living in Gotham City! :O

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/12 at 7:56 am

Like the blackouts during WWII

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/06/12 at 9:17 am

Like the blackouts during WWII

Only in WWII, people didn't have to worry about charging their cell phones.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Starde on 11/06/12 at 5:15 pm

It must have felt like living in Gotham City! :O

Eh. Felt more like something straight out of I am Legend.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/06/12 at 5:19 pm

Eh. Felt more like something straight out of I am Legend.

You had zombie-like people running around?  :o :o :o

:D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/12 at 5:26 pm

You had zombie-like people running around?  :o :o :o

:D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

That is where eyes glued to the cel phones come in  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 5:28 pm

The cost is probably in the millions.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/11/12 at 6:09 pm

Was any of the fire damage near you, Howard?

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:59 am

Was any of the fire damage near you, Howard?

no just loads of down trees and wires. :o

Written By: Howard on 10/30/17 at 5:34 am

Yesterday marked The 5th anniversary of Superstorm Sandy.

Check for new replies or respond here...