inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are today's teens the vanguard of a new generation?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/25/12 at 1:40 pm

Do you think the kids born in the mid to late 90s seem like a different generation compared to Generation Y? It does seem like being a teenager in the 2010s in many ways is quite a bit different from being a 2000s teen, for one thing social networking is totally entrenched, back in the MySpace days it was mostly an America-only thing and was avoidable but nowadays not having a Facebook account practically makes you a Luddite. Texting started long enough ago that 80s-borns did it as teens but people born mid 90s onward wouldn't really even recall a time prior to it.

The music and TV is pretty different too, rap music has taken a huge downturn in popularity in the past 2-3 years and the 90s alt rock mainstays like Green Day, No Doubt, Weezer and Red Hot Chili Peppers don't sell well anymore. Today's teenagers would much rather listen to One Direction, Foster the People or Ed Sheeran. Kid's programming is different too, today's teens grew up with stuff like iCarly and Hannah Montana while people in their 20s grew up with Even Stevens, Wild Thornberries, Sabrina the Teenage Witch or if in their late 20s even stuff like Jem, Captain Planet and Babar, I think it's pretty different in its tone and style.

I even notice that today's teenagers seem to not be as good at spelling though maybe it's just their age or the fact it's harder to type on mobile devices so they use more shorthand and stuff rather than a real difference. I can pretty much tell if someone's on a mobile just by how they type.

Do you think people born 1993-99 are so fundamentally unlike people born from 1980-92 that they should be categorized as a different generation, or are they more or less heirs to the same basic pop culture we had in the 90s and 00s?

Subject: Re: Are today's teens the vanguard of a new generation?

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/12 at 7:44 pm

I don't know, but Pepsi was the choice of a new generation.

But are people born in 1993-1999 like the kids that were born in 1972-1978?
The focal point is not how old one is, but the age of one's oldness and what it relates to in correlation with the span of a certain period

Written By: Shiv on 10/25/12 at 8:20 pm

I was just thinking about this today. Seems to be the case. On college campuses, it's still rap rap rap (and pop-punk and post-grunge) everywhere....but then I turn on the radio or TV and it's all Disney Channel-pop, indie pop and dubstep. Hipsters/Hipster wannabes were nonexistant when I was in high school in the mid 00s.

The 90s rock bands do seem to have finally reached the end of the relevancy road. I think there's very few teens who listen to Green Day, No Doubt, Pearl Jam, etc. today.

It's still too early to say for sure though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/12 at 11:35 pm

They better be, or else it's really gonna f**k up the Superbowl!
:D

Written By: 1996baby on 10/26/12 at 4:27 am

I sort of disagree with op's post even though I'm in high school right now.

iCarly and Hannah Montana

Its kind of funny because iCarly didn't start until I was 11 and Hannah Montana didn't start until I was 10. A lot of us mid 90s babies grew up on a lot of 90s cartoons/2000s cartoons, thats why a lot of us are calling ourselves "90's kids" which we are not (I accept that I'm a 00's kid). I'm guessing that you are referring to 2000s babies about these shows because I though these shows sucked a lot when they first came on tv. A lot of us fondly remember cartoons such as Doug, Hey Arnold, Rugrats , As Told by Ginger, etc. mainly in the early 2000s when Cartoon Network and Nick started showing a ton of reruns of 90s cartoons and when we used to record them onto vhs.

but nowadays not having a Facebook account practically makes you a Luddite.

Sort of true. Heck I don't even have Facebook or Twitter because I think it is a waste of time. Also because my mom is a Baby Boomer (born 1960) and doesn't really like social media.

Today's teenagers would much rather listen to One Direction, Foster the People or Ed Sheeran.

I find this laughable at best. A lot of people my age seem to make fun of pop culture today. I notice that kids born in 1998 liking pop culture today more than someone born in 1996. Even stuff like Yolo is pretty funny to kids my age because it is corny.

I even notice that today's teenagers seem to not be as good at spelling though maybe it's just their age or the fact it's harder to type on mobile devices so they use more shorthand and stuff rather than a real difference. I can pretty much tell if someone's on a mobile just by how they type.

Can't say much here even though I don't own a mobile phone.

Alot of poeple my age are getting a lot of nostalgia lately because we noticed how much technology has come since the late 90s/early 2000's. Heck I remember when my elementary school used to have old G3 iMacs that ran Mac OS X 10.1 and OS 9 (and remember there was no internet at my school at the time), and coming home from school to watch vhs tapes. Also I'm starting to notice a difference between someone born in 1996 and 1998. Someone born the same year as me would remember the early 2000s well while someone born in 1998 doesn't really remember much of the early 2000s. I'm also noticing a generation difference between someone born my age and kids that are in middle school now.

Thats my opinion on this topic. 

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 7:29 am

We have a new generation of teenagers, today's teens are constantly texting, using mobile devices, using blackberries, Ipads and Ipods as compared to the 80's and 90's where a lot of teens were using Nintendos, Gameboys and Segas.

Written By: meesa on 10/26/12 at 10:02 am

I don't know, but Pepsi was the choice of a new generation.

http://tjthesportsgeek.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pepsimj.png

:D ;D

Written By: slim on 10/26/12 at 10:32 am

I think they are a new generation. I am a 2000s teen (born in 1991) and i can kinda see the difference. Many of the new college kids i know were born in like 94 and just got out of high school. I can relate to them somewhat, but there is still a slight cultural shift when i interact with them. Which is understandable.  I have cousins born in the mid- late 90s and they don't really like today's pop culture per say.  My cousin just turned 15  and she'd rather listen to nsync or bsb rather than one direction.  Pretty interesting if you ask me. For me personally, i am nostalgic mostly for the late 90s- early 00s when it comes to growing up. Mostly 1998-2003. But  i must say, i sure do miss myspace!

Written By: 2000s_Teen on 10/26/12 at 2:16 pm

Do you think the kids born in the mid to late 90s seem like a different generation compared to Generation Y? It does seem like being a teenager in the 2010s in many ways is quite a bit different from being a 2000s teen,

LOL, that coming from sombody who was still a teenager in the late 2000's (which is basically not too different from today's culture).  ;D

Written By: belmont22 on 10/26/12 at 2:44 pm

LOL, that coming from sombody who was still a teenager in the late 2000's (which is basically not too different from today's culture).  ;D

Difference is, I was already a teen by 2003. Someone born in 1995 only became a young teen in 2008. Besides I don't really consider being 18 and 19 quite the same as being 13-17, especially once you're past high school age.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/26/12 at 4:39 pm

There are differences between '00s teens and '10s teens but overall not a huge difference. Being a '90s teen was much different however. I don't think using Facebook instead of Myspace warrants today's teens being considered a different generation from Gen Y. Overall generational identity and values of those born between 1982 and 1996 are similar.  There are differences don't get me wrong, but there are more similarities. Now '90s teens who grew up pre-Internet with cassette tapes and Nirvana...they are a different generation. They are Generation X.

Written By: af2010 on 10/27/12 at 1:16 am

Theories about generations, while interesting to talk about, are 100% subjective.  There's no way of scientifically proving when generation X/Y/Z starts or ends, because they don't actually exist.  Generations are social constructs.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 6:53 am

Now '90s teens who grew up pre-Internet with cassette tapes and Nirvana...they are a different generation. They are Generation X.

But as for us who grew up in the 80's we had boomboxes and walkmans.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 8:57 am

Theories about generations, while interesting to talk about, are 100% subjective.  There's no way of scientifically proving when generation X/Y/Z starts or ends, because they don't actually exist.  Generations are social constructs.

Perhaps, but they're economically useful. If they weren't, why would marketers even bother using them?

Written By: joeman on 10/27/12 at 12:13 pm

You signed back up and posting the same posts as you did before.  seriously dude take your decadeology BS somewhere else.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 12:34 pm

You signed back up and posting the same posts as you did before.  seriously dude take your decadeology BS somewhere else.

Okay. I will shut up. I'll talk about TV shows and bands and stuff and avoid trend analysis.

Written By: af2010 on 10/27/12 at 5:15 pm

Perhaps, but they're economically useful. If they weren't, why would marketers even bother using them?

Marketers use them in order to create and promote a certain image.  Just look at the old "Pepsi Generation" ads.  Generational theory is a social construct, and while it may have some validity (people of a similar age obviously have some similarities), I don't subscribe to it as fact, because it isn't.

Written By: Forest on 10/27/12 at 5:41 pm

Okay. I will shut up. I'll talk about TV shows and bands and stuff and avoid trend analysis.

Hang on. When you are doing "trend analysis", how do years in your scope have "no bearing" on each other? It's not like you are saying:

"1965 has these differences to 1973 and these similarities to 1958 so let's make a thread about whether 1965 is more like 1958 or 1973. Let's also follow it up with another thread about whether 1966 is more like 1958 or 1973"

I have more in common with a farmer from China, than your posts have with "decadeology". You'd be studying trends over a particular time, not taking random years out of a hat and primarily trying to look to see which years were more similar or different to each other.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 5:46 pm

Hang on. When you are doing "trend analysis", how do years in your scope have "no bearing" on each other? It's not like you are saying:

"1965 has these differences to 1973 and these similarities to 1958 so let's make a thread about whether 1965 is more like 1958 or 1973. Let's also follow it up with another thread about whether 1966 is more like 1958 or 1973"

I have more in common with a farmer from China, than your posts have with "decadeology". You'd be studying trends over a particular time, not taking random years out of a hat and primarily trying to look to see which years were more similar or different to each other.

It seems like what's labeled decadeology here is really just any kind of trend analysis.

Written By: Martin on 10/27/12 at 5:48 pm

It's individual. In fact some of the present-day teenagers as young as 13 or 14 like music a lot older then them, e.g. 70's and 80's music. How do I know -- I see it in their You Tube comments.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 6:50 pm

It's individual. In fact some of the present-day teenagers as young as 13 or 14 like music a lot older then them, e.g. 70's and 80's music. How do I know -- I see it in their You Tube comments.

Good for them! I'm glad they realize how awful and corporate modern music is. It's impossible to succeed in today's climate if you actually possess talent, it's like opposite world or something.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 7:28 pm

I agree, he's repetitious.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/12 at 3:04 pm

Marketers use them in order to create and promote a certain image.  Just look at the old "Pepsi Generation" ads.  Generational theory is a social construct, and while it may have some validity (people of a similar age obviously have some similarities), I don't subscribe to it as fact, because it isn't.

Agreed.  Why does pretty much everybody born after 1980 support Obama wholeheartedly while older generations have turned against him?  People who grew up during a certain time period have values that are shaped by the time period in which they grew up, and Obama represents those values for Generation Y.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/28/12 at 5:50 pm

We have a new generation of teenagers, today's teens are constantly texting, using mobile devices, using blackberries, Ipads and Ipods as compared to the 80's and 90's where a lot of teens were using Nintendos, Gameboys and Segas.

Does anybody have a pager anymore?

Written By: Howard on 10/28/12 at 5:55 pm

Nope, pagers went out during the early 1990's.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/28/12 at 6:07 pm

Really? My dad is a high tech guy and had one up to the early 00's.

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/12 at 8:52 pm

Alan Bradley (played by Bruce Boxleitner) does in the 2010 movie 'Tron: Legacy'

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/12 at 9:05 pm

More like mid-90s.  Most people didn't have cell phones in the early '90s.  Pagers were still around until cell phones were affordable for all.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/28/12 at 10:37 pm

More like mid-90s.  Most people didn't have cell phones in the early '90s.  Pagers were still around until cell phones were affordable for all.

I would say later. Cell phones were fairly common by 1995 but I definitely wouldn't say most people had them, until about 2003.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 7:04 am

Really? My dad is a high tech guy and had one up to the early 00's.

I still have my pager but don't know if it works anymore, It's been 15 years.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 7:04 am

and some people had both.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/29/12 at 8:20 am

I would say later. Cell phones were fairly common by 1995 but I definitely wouldn't say most people had them, until about 2003.

This.

The early 00's were the time when cell phones really became mainstream. That was also the time when even 'poor' people could afford one.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 2:29 pm

This.

The early 00's were the time when cell phones really became mainstream. That was also the time when even 'poor' people could afford one.

and now almost everybody has a cell phone.

Written By: Jason R on 10/31/12 at 10:45 pm

I remember when I was in high school and college in the early-mid 90's I had a pager.  It was more of a fashion statement to have one.  I always kept it showing in one pocket, and in my other pocket I always kept my pack of cigarettes showing.  I think less of today's teens smoke, but my 18 year old cousin does, he is also a constant texter.  Last time we seen him he was texting his girlfriend the whole time, he was having a conversation with us while texting and smoking at the same time, I guess he is good at multi-tasking.  He can't seem to put his phone down, he got fired from his lifeguard job for texting on duty.  Except for the dramatic increase in technology I think the teens of the 2010's and 2000's had similar interests as the teens of the 90's although today's teens don't seem to have an interest in music, or they don't have a type of music they identify with.

Check for new replies or respond here...