inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Kennedy Curse Continues

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/25/12 at 7:19 pm

News wires are reporting that songbird Taylor Swift has kicked Conor Kennedy to the curb.

I wonder if they are ever getting back together? ???

Subject: Re: The Kennedy Curse Continues

Written By: warped on 10/25/12 at 7:32 pm

JFK was assassinated
RFK was ssassinated
John F Kennedy Jr dies in plane crash
Conor Kennedy splits up with girlfriend

"One of these things is not like the other"

This has nothing to do with a curse.

I wish them both well tho.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/25/12 at 7:35 pm

JFK was assassinated
RFK was ssassinated

The plane crash would be the one that doesn't fit. The other 3 things happened on land. :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/25/12 at 8:32 pm

JFK was assassinated
RFK was ssassinated

You forgot the one about Ted taking the Chappaquiddick plunge in his Oldsmobile.  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 10/25/12 at 10:07 pm

I would say this broke the curse.  He got lucky when she walked away. 

Written By: gibbo on 10/26/12 at 5:05 am

The plane crash would be the one that doesn't fit. The other 3 things happened on land. :P

I'm sorry ... but this made me really laugh out loud!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/26/12 at 5:38 am

You forgot the one about Ted taking the Chappaquiddick plunge in his Oldsmobile.  :P

Also brother Joe Kennedy whose WW2 bomber exploded over the Channel.

Written By: warped on 10/26/12 at 5:45 am

Sesame street usually had 4 choices, and 1 of them didn't belong.  So I tried to pick the worst 3 Kennedy curses that came to me  ;)
And I think Mary Jo Kopechne was more cursed by the incident than Ted. Ted got away with one there.

:o The people at Sesame street would say "shame shame, that's not the correct answer we are looking for, try again" to you on Camera (but laugh like hell off camera) ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/26/12 at 6:09 am

And I think Mary Jo Kopechne was more cursed by the incident than Ted. Ted got away with one there.

Not necessarily. Had the Chappaquiddick accident never occurred, there's a good chance Ted Kennedy would have been elected president in 1972.

Written By: warped on 10/26/12 at 6:20 am

Not necessarily. Had the Chappaquiddick accident never occurred, there's a good chance Ted Kennedy would have been elected president in 1972.

Or at least make a bid to run for President in 1972 and it would have been Nixon vs Kennedy again like 1960, (different Kennedy brother now) .

What I originally meant was that Ted didn't serve any jail time for what he did. He just got a suspended sentence. He could have received worse.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/12 at 7:00 am

Also sister Kathleen Marchioness of Hartington died in a plane crash over France in 1948

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/12 at 7:03 am

Now listen....What people outside of Massachusetts don't understand is that there were two generations of Kennedys, Joe was the first, his kids were the second.  The rest are KINO(Kennedys in Name ONLY).

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 7:21 am

I would say this broke the curse.  He got lucky when she walked away.

How lucky is he?

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 7:23 am

don't forget the death of Ted Kennedy in August 2009.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/12 at 7:24 am

and who would've been vice president? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/26/12 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, he passed away all too soon, so that too would qualify Ted for the curse.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/26/12 at 6:23 pm

How lucky is he?

Very lucky, IMO.  She comes across to me as a psycho freak.  I can't stand the girl at all.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/12 at 5:12 am

Very lucky, IMO.  She comes across to me as a psycho freak.  I can't stand the girl at all.

Ditto!

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 6:49 am

never cared for her either.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/12 at 1:15 pm

never cared for her either.

I'd party with her...  :P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/27/12 at 3:32 pm

And Mary Kennedy committed suicide earlier this year.  :\'(

(I know she's a KINO, but still...)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/12 at 3:55 pm

And Mary Kennedy committed suicide earlier this year.  :\'(

(I know she's a KINO, but still...)

She wasn't a Kennedy at all, the KINOs are the 3rd generation children whose experience and actions are too far removed from the Massachusetts Kennedys to signify.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 4:15 pm

Ah Taylor's not that great anyway.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/27/12 at 7:41 pm

I'd party with her...  :P

you'd party on her.  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/29/12 at 10:23 pm

She wasn't a Kennedy at all, the KINOs are the 3rd generation children whose experience and actions are too far removed from the Massachusetts Kennedys to signify.

Oh.  See, I don't know these things.

But she was married to a Kennedy...so there's somewhat of a connection...

Written By: Katluver on 10/30/12 at 12:47 am

He died at 77, which is a ripe old age.

Jackie Kennedy, on the other hand, didn't even make it to 65.

Losing both her parents and brother before any of them had reached old age, I really feel for Caroline. She must be a strong woman going through all of that.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/30/12 at 2:12 am

There's another Kenedy that  laid brain dead in a hospital somewhere from a botched lobotomy

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/12 at 3:48 am

There's another Kenedy that  laid brain dead in a hospital somewhere from a botched lobotomy

*sigh*  You are talking about Rosemary Kennedy who was the sister of Jack, Ted, and Bobby.  She did have a lobotomy, but at that time it was a desperate act, one taken by many parents.  At that time lobotomies were thought to be a cure for developmental delays.

It is because of what happened to Rosemary that Eunice Shriver started Special Olympics and Ted Kennedy became the driving force behind the Americans for Disabilities Act, and I, as a parent of a developmentally delayed son, will be eternally grateful.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/30/12 at 11:48 am

*sigh*  You are talking about Rosemary Kennedy who was the sister of Jack, Ted, and Bobby.  She did have a lobotomy, but at that time it was a desperate act, one taken by many parents.  At that time lobotomies were thought to be a cure for developmental delays.

From what I have read of Rosemark Kennedy, I suppose she had what today we would call "bipolar condition". 

Definitely a situation where the "cure" was worse than the disease.  :-\\

Around that same time, my grandmother was killed by similar foolishness,  She had a fairly treatable condition of the kidneys, but the doctor (a quack) inserted pellets filled with radon gas into her body.  By the time a real doctor got to see her and took the pellets out, the damage was done and she essentially died from radiation poisoning.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/12 at 10:57 pm

From what I have read I doubt Rosemary Kennedy was retarded before that savage lobotomy.  Rosemary was a rather flighty and erratic at times.  She showed poor judgment in her personal life.  As she grew to be a young woman, she enjoyed stepping out and partying.  She was not very bright.  Her IQ might have been 90 where Jack and Bobby were perhaps 150, thus she might have seemed more "backwards" than she was.

If she was a boy, I think the family would have done what they do with their troubled boys -- hope they stay out of trouble.  In those days a promiscuous female could bring shame to the entire family, so they thought the lobotomy would chill her out.  Instead it crashed her OS and made her an infant for life. 

Those ice pick lobotomies were a crime against humanity.  My grandfather was a psychiatrist in the '30s and '40s when they were doing them.  I don't know how many of those awful operations he oversaw, and he would never say one way or the other.  He took that secret to his grave!
:o

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/12 at 4:02 am

Being in the community of people dealing with children with developmental delays I can see how parents could be desparate enough to be duped by doctors into doing almost anything to make their child "normal".  Nowadays the snake oil salesmen are selling diets or supplements that will "cure" your childs autism.  It is sad, but I don't blame the parents.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/12 at 10:58 am

He died at 77, which is a ripe old age.

Jackie Kennedy, on the other hand, didn't even make it to 65.

Losing both her parents and brother before any of them had reached old age, I really feel for Caroline. She must be a strong woman going through all of that.

I think losing her brother was probably harder than losing her parents. You are "supposed" to lose your parents but to lose a sibling when they young-that is VERY hard. (I know).

But, she is the sole survivor and I too, feel for her.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...