inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Swag as a style

Written By: belmont22 on 11/06/12 at 6:42 am

Do you think swag is almost a genre of sorts, for music and fashion? You have people like Odd Future/Tyler the Creator, Lil B, Kreayshawn, Cher Lloyd, Nicki Minaj, even Justin Bieber all throwing the word about in their music. The term implies a kind of style that's supposedly cool, and it also implies, I think, a sort of materialism - the original term referred to merchandise.

As a style, I'd say it's sort of a fusion of scene and ghetto. Tattoos, skinny jeans, ponytail holders on the wrists, lots of loud colours, and so on...

Subject: Re: Swag as a style

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/06/12 at 10:43 am

Do you think swag is almost a genre of sorts, for music and fashion? You have people like Odd Future/Tyler the Creator, Lil B, Kreayshawn, Cher Lloyd, Nicki Minaj, even Justin Bieber all throwing the word about in their music. The term implies a kind of style that's supposedly cool, and it also implies, I think, a sort of materialism - the original term referred to merchandise.

As a style, I'd say it's sort of a fusion of scene and ghetto. Tattoos, skinny jeans, ponytail holders on the wrists, lots of loud colours, and so on...

If something gets referred to as 'swag', it is my warning to avoid it. Of the artists you name, the only one I even remotely like is Nicki Minaj.

Subject: Re: Swag as a style

Written By: belmont22 on 11/11/12 at 11:41 am

If something gets referred to as 'swag', it is my warning to avoid it. Of the artists you name, the only one I even remotely like is Nicki Minaj.

Nicki is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Check for new replies or respond here...