inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Very old institutions that surprisingly still exist

Written By: belmont22 on 12/01/12 at 5:52 am

What are some things that are generally associated with bygone eras that amazingly, have survived to the present day? One of them, mentioned here was the Hudson's Bay Company. Founded in 1670 and associated with colonial times, the 'Bay' as it's called still exists and is still one of Canada's largest corporations.

Another would be the fact that many monarchies still exist, including the British monarchy. This is of course, common knowledge.

Only slightly less amazing is that fact the Chuck Berry still performs music.

Oh yeah and did you know the Silk Road still exists?

Subject: Re: Very old institutions that surprisingly still exist

Written By: danootaandme on 12/01/12 at 6:33 am

The Silk Road still runs?  Now that is very interesting  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/12 at 9:24 pm

The Catholic Church

Written By: nally on 12/01/12 at 10:53 pm

Interestingly enough, I had not heard of it. Apparently it's a historical series of trade routes in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/02/12 at 2:33 am

Heh.  He made me look.  I knew about the original, but was surprised to find that the over-land version of the old Asian trade route wasn't actually completed until 1990.  (If he was referring to the modern use of the term, that's a different sort of trade route.)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/02/12 at 4:44 am

The Catholic Church

beat me to it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/12 at 12:02 am

beat me to it.

Although it's no surprise. 

I would say the old-style weights and measure systems have surprising staying power.  I would have thought the U.S.A would have gone metric by 2012.
::)

Written By: belmont22 on 12/03/12 at 5:04 pm

Heh.  He made me look.  I knew about the original, but was surprised to find that the over-land version of the old Asian trade route wasn't actually completed until 1990.  (If he was referring to the modern use of the term, that's a different sort of trade route.)

Yes, the Sino-Soviet split, is the reason for that. In September 1990 they finally opened the train route, but only in the past couple years have they really started greatly expanding the land link.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/12 at 5:50 pm

Yes, the Sino-Soviet split, is the reason for that. In September 1990 they finally opened the train route, but only in the past couple years have they really started greatly expanding the land link.

Still goes straight up the old Khyber Pass.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/12 at 6:57 pm

Society of the Cincinnati

The Society of the Cincinnati is an historical, hereditary lineage organization with branches in the United States and France, founded in 1783 to preserve the ideals and fellowship of the American Revolutionary War officers.

Membership was generally limited to officers who had served at least three years in the Continental Army or Navy; it included officers of the French Army and Navy above certain ranks.

Later in a system of primogeniture, membership was passed down to the eldest son after the death of the original member.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/12 at 7:36 pm

Freemasonry. 

Goes back at least as far as the early seventeenth century, with many of our Founding Fathers as members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

Written By: Paul on 12/05/12 at 6:59 pm

Livery Companies (which are trade associations in the City of London) go back a few years - almost as long as London has been around...

Today, they operate mostly in name only as charitable foundations (mostly seen at the Lord Mayor's show). You'd be hard pressed to find many cordwainers, basketmakers, or wheelwrights in the square mile today!

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/12 at 7:11 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Madonna yet. 

http://www.catholicleague.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/madonna1.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...