inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ATRL " The Dance Pop era has unofficially ended"

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/08/12 at 9:51 pm

The Dance Pop era has unofficially ended

http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278541

The gen feeling on that board seems to be that dance pop is becoming less and less  the powerhouse it was in 2008-2011.
It seems on every forum I go to that seems to be the same responses from people . Now I am not saying music won't have
electronic elements, lets not forget music is made on computers. But there is a huge shift with indie elements being used
in songs such as ( Fun,Passion Pit, Lana Del Rey, Phillip Phillips) and rap with ( Asap rocky, Kendrick Lamar) The other day there
was an r&b song 1# on itunes.  The dance pop era could be dead as we know it.  The songs that are dance on the radio now
are 2011 songs with 2012 songs that were made in 2011 and released in 2012. Its no longer a debate lol.  Dubstep will linger
along a lil bit and be updated to a trance like sound. Electronic sounds will not fade.  But that pop template that was established in 2008
is fading so fast. 

Subject: Re: ATRL " The Dance Pop era has unofficially ended"

Written By: bchris02 on 12/09/12 at 1:02 am

The Dance Pop era has unofficially ended

http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278541

The gen feeling on that board seems to be that dance pop is becoming less and less  the powerhouse it was in 2008-2011.
It seems on every forum I go to that seems to be the same responses from people . Now I am not saying music won't have
electronic elements, lets not forget music is made on computers. But there is a huge shift with indie elements being used
in songs such as ( Fun,Passion Pit, Lana Del Rey, Phillip Phillips) and rap with ( Asap rocky, Kendrick Lamar) The other day there
was an r&b song 1# on itunes.  The dance pop era could be dead as we know it.  The songs that are dance on the radio now
are 2011 songs with 2012 songs that were made in 2011 and released in 2012. Its no longer a debate lol.  Dubstep will linger
along a lil bit and be updated to a trance like sound. Electronic sounds will not fade.  But that pop template that was established in 2008
is fading so fast.

Agreed.  Still a lot of 2009-2011 songs on the radio which were heavily dance-pop.  That should change in 2013 and beyond as new music becomes more stylistically different and forces the old stuff off the airwaves.  I wouldn't say its completely over though.  Ke$ha's new song has been a huge hit and Lady Gaga has a new album coming out next year.  It's definitely past its peak though.  Dance pop will NOT define the 2010s anymore than 'Nsync or Christina Aguilera defined the '00s. In the early '00s, boy bands lingered until about 2003 and after that it was pretty much over except for a few songs here and there.

With the rise of hipsterism as the dominant culture for people in their late teens and twenties, indie rock is the rising force right now in Top 40.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/09/12 at 1:22 pm

exactlly

Written By: sonikuu on 12/09/12 at 10:33 pm

You people care way too much about Dance Pop losing popularity.  In a couple years, you'll probably be posting threads hoping for the end of whatever style is most popular at that point in time. 

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/12 at 9:36 am

I highly doubt that it's still new and fresh just like Dubstep.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/11/12 at 9:11 am

I don't think so.

Written By: Emman on 12/11/12 at 9:42 am

The funny thing about this thread is that EDM popularity in the US is just getting started, this thread will look so wrong 5 years from now.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/11/12 at 1:24 pm

The funny thing about this thread is that EDM popularity in the US is just getting started, this thread will look so wrong 5 years from now.

no it wont i promise

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 3:17 pm

You people care way too much about Dance Pop losing popularity.  In a couple years, you'll probably be posting threads hoping for the end of whatever style is most popular at that point in time.

I agree.

Written By: Emman on 12/11/12 at 4:54 pm

no it wont i promise

I think one of the major reasons EDM is so popular among young people is because of the global financial crisis and it's reverberations(*hint*, the economic crisis ain't goin nowhere any time soon), it's a type of escapism from the adverse condition the world is in. In fact I think the EDM explosion will come to be looked at as a defining Millennial/Gen Y moment in retrospect, as defining as Woodstock is to the Baby Boomer generation. It goes side by side with the global financial crisis as the Millennial's coming of age moment, it's one of many reactions to the economic crisis, kind of like how a large part of the sixties counter cultural was a reaction to the Vietnam War.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/11/12 at 6:57 pm

I think one of the major reasons EDM is so popular among young people is because of the global financial crisis and it's reverberations(*hint*, the economic crisis ain't goin nowhere any time soon), it's a type of escapism from the adverse condition the world is in. In fact I think the EDM explosion will come to be looked at as a defining Millennial/Gen Y moment in retrospect, as defining as Woodstock is to the Baby Boomer generation. It goes side by side with the global financial crisis as the Millennial's coming of age moment, it's one of many reactions to the economic crisis, kind of like how a large part of the sixties counter cultural was a reaction to the Vietnam War.
You're looking far too much into this.

Check for new replies or respond here...