inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The effects of the CT Shooting on Culture for the rest of the 2010's

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/18/12 at 3:11 pm

What happened in Ct is such a tragedy.  What are some of your thoughts on what will happen to culture because of this?
I can def see the right to bear arms law be revoked. This could be huge. I can also see Dance pop completly  fizziling out faster than it was
originally suppose to. People do not want four on the floor anymore. After the shooting and hurricane sandy there
is nothing to party about this year. More indie pop style of music will just completely throw dance pop off course because of this.
I also do see people becoming more compassionate towards others. 2012 has been a year of extreme re evaluations of us as a
society.

So the question is what do you think will happen?

Subject: Re: The effects of the CT Shooting on Culture for the rest of the 2010's

Written By: belmont22 on 12/18/12 at 3:24 pm

There will never be gun control in the US, well not for a long time at least. There have been many of these shootings in the past 20 years and the percent of people in the US who support gun control has been consistently declining during that period. Unfortunately this country was built on gun violence and our Constitution holds unregulated gun ownership as a holy sacrament.

As far as it having any effect on dance pop, well.  ;D Then again that Kesha song was pulled from the radio.

Subject: Re: The effects of the CT Shooting on Culture for the rest of the 2010's

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/18/12 at 6:21 pm

There will never be gun control in the US, well not for a long time at least. There have been many of these shootings in the past 20 years and the percent of people in the US who support gun control has been consistently declining during that period. Unfortunately this country was built on gun violence and our Constitution holds unregulated gun ownership as a holy sacrament.

As far as it having any effect on dance pop, well.  ;D Then again that Kesha song was pulled from the radio.

see

Written By: warped on 12/18/12 at 7:26 pm

I agree that the CT shooting was a tragedy, but how can an effect of the shooting be "I can also see Dance pop completely  fizziling out faster than it was originally suppose to".  ???

I'd be more than shocked if the "right to bear arms" was revoked.  What I think the US will do is just make it "extremely difficult" for anyone to get a gun more powerful than a basic hand gun and toughen gun control laws. How? I don't know.

I had lunch yesterday with many friends in Mississauga, Ont. Almost all of them expressed a huge fear of going to the US, in fear they were going to get shot and killed. I think that's an over exaggerated response, but maybe there might be less tourists visiting the US in 2013 because of this, don’t know.

I’d still visit the US.

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/12 at 8:14 pm

I can also see Dance pop completly  fizziling out faster than it was
originally suppose to

More indie pop style of music will just completely throw dance pop off course because of this.

You just used a tragic murder-suicide as a way to start a discussion on ending dance pop music.  You sir, are one very sad sad individual

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/18/12 at 10:05 pm

You just used a tragic murder-suicide as a way to start a discussion on ending dance pop music.  You sir, are one very sad sad individual

My friends aunt works at the school......................... are you serious

Pop music is going be affected by a tragic event  just like  teen pop died after 9 11
and folk rock came back briefly

The topic is how the effects of the shooting will change culture for 2010s

maybe you misread the name of the thread  when you were auto assuming something

Music has to do with culture

I also mentioned how Gun laws might change because of this. Please read the whole thread before
going on a sad rant.

This is not to be mean or anything but  just dont think someone who posts here isnt friends with someone who was effected directly.
As I stated before its a tragedy. Please do not assume things

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/18/12 at 10:08 pm

I agree that the CT shooting was a tragedy, but how can an effect of the shooting be "I can also see Dance pop completely  fizziling out faster than it was originally suppose to".  ???

I'd be more than shocked if the "right to bear arms" was revoked.  What I think the US will do is just make it "extremely difficult" for anyone to get a gun more powerful than a basic hand gun and toughen gun control laws. How? I don't know.

I had lunch yesterday with many friends in Mississauga, Ont. Almost all of them expressed a huge fear of going to the US, in fear they were going to get shot and killed. I think that's an over exaggerated response, but maybe there might be less tourists visiting the US in 2013 because of this, don’t know.

I’d still visit the US.

obamas already signing something

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/12 at 11:25 pm

Pop music is going be affected by a tragic event  just like  teen pop died after 9 11

Events like this have nothing to do with how music will change.  I'm sure it wasn't Adam Lanza's motive to end dance pop music ::)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/18/12 at 11:44 pm

Events like this have nothing to do with how music will change.  I'm sure it wasn't Adam Lanza's motive to end dance pop music ::)

Pretty sure Nsync and teen pop was big in 2001  , pretty sure after 9/11  music got more serious

Theres a documentary that talks about this    that someone posted on this forum a few months ago

it was like a mtv how will culture change from 911  thing   

Big events do change music

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 12:43 am

I’d still visit the US.

It's not that scary really. I mean, I'd be a little scared of going to the mall but in general I'm not walking around in fear. Life is too short to live in fear.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/12 at 4:13 am

There does seem to be a weird what are your priorities thing going on here.

Written By: warped on 12/19/12 at 4:22 am

Unfortunately this country was built on gun violence and our Constitution holds unregulated gun ownership as a holy sacrament.

That was one of the main themes discussed at our group lunch on Monday. Strong words.

It's not that scary really.

I know, but I couldn't convince my friends at lunch. One of them is retired & a snowbird (travels to Florida in winter time) and he said he won't go this year. He told me "Everyone has a gun down there and is ready to start shooting at the slightest disagreement". He makes it sound like we're still in the old west.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 6:35 am

He was just a sick individual.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 6:37 am

It's not that scary really. I mean, I'd be a little scared of going to the mall but in general I'm not walking around in fear. Life is too short to live in fear.

and everything happens for a reason.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 8:19 am

That was one of the main themes discussed at our group lunch on Monday. Strong words.

I know, but I couldn't convince my friends at lunch. One of them is retired & a snowbird (travels to Florida in winter time) and he said he won't go this year. He told me "Everyone has a gun down there and is ready to start shooting at the slightest disagreement". He makes it sound like we're still in the old west.

To be honest I've never even seen anyone's gun in public, aside from police officers. I'm sure many people conceal carry and I don't even realize it, but unless you live in a really bad part of town, odds are you'll probably never witness a shootout in the US in your entire life.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 8:21 am

Pretty sure Nsync and teen pop was big in 2001  , pretty sure after 9/11  music got more serious

Theres a documentary that talks about this    that someone posted on this forum a few months ago

it was like a mtv how will culture change from 911  thing   

Big events do change music

I think that had more to do with the teenage fans of those bands growing up. 1997-2001 is a span of five years total, which is the shelf life of your typical teen pop act. Music and pop culture started a slight shift before September 2001, but it wasn't very significant.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 10:45 am

There does seem to be a weird what are your priorities thing going on here.

my friends aunt works @ sandy hook

I am free to talk about whatever I feel like

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 10:46 am

I could def see vacations in the usa going down

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 10:48 am

I think that had more to do with the teenage fans of those bands growing up. 1997-2001 is a span of five years total, which is the shelf life of your typical teen pop act. Music and pop culture started a slight shift before September 2001, but it wasn't very significant.

There was a slight shift to more folky rock music that took place after this tho.

Does anyone have a link to that video I was talking about?  Or the op of that thread?

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 11:10 am

There was a slight shift to more folky rock music that took place after this tho.

Does anyone have a link to that video I was talking about?  Or the op of that thread?

I didn't really notice that. Nu metal and post grunge dominated rock from about 1998 to 2005, indie hipster and folk music wasn't really mainstream until 2010.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/19/12 at 11:51 am

Just tell your friends to take their vacations in Juarez, Mexico. After all, Mexico's gun laws are far more restrictive then those in the United States so nothing bad could possibly happen to them down there, right?  ::)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 12:07 pm

I didn't really notice that. Nu metal and post grunge dominated rock from about 1998 to 2005, indie hipster and folk music wasn't really mainstream until 2010.

Vanessa Carlton and other indie singer songwriter music made a brief comeback

Written By: warped on 12/19/12 at 12:10 pm

Just tell your friends to take their vacations in Juarez, Mexico. After all, Mexico's gun laws are far more restrictive then those in the United States so nothing bad could possibly happen to them down there, right?  ::)

I'll tell 'em to drop by after they visit Columbia (in South America). No guns or drugs there..

As I said in the same post, I think they are over exaggerating. I'm still comfortable to visit the US...But I do know some who refuse to go there because of past violence.  :-[

Written By: warped on 12/19/12 at 12:14 pm

The title of the thread is quite misleading, since half the stuff discussed here is current music. Any thoughts to start a new thread or change the title?

What is being discussed here (the dance stuff) could be seen as a lack of respect for those who were killed, familes who were shaken, and a nation in mourning. Esp coz the title says "The effects of the CT Shooting  on culture"

Just sayin...

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 12:22 pm

The title of the thread is quite misleading, since half the stuff discussed here is current music. Any thoughts to start a new thread or change the title?

What is being discussed here (the dance stuff) could be seen as a lack of respect for those who were killed, familes who were shaken, and a nation in mourning. Esp coz the title says "The effects of the CT Shooting  on culture"

Just sayin...

My friends aunt works at school what don't you get? If someone knows people that work in that school what gives you the right to say something like that?

Music is apart of culture. Gun laws are apart of culture.  What is culture? 

Am i not talking about gun laws in this thread? I am covering everything in culture. People are debating is music would be effected  so I am responding to those responses       

This is america I can post about whatever topic I like. 

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 12:24 pm

Vanessa Carlton and other indie singer songwriter music made a brief comeback

I'd hardly call Vanessa and Michelle Branch indie and besides, what makes them different from similar 90s music like Jewel and Sixpence None The Richer? I'd consider them the last hurrah of the 'fempop' that was popular from the mid 90s to mid 00s. The only influence 9/11 had on music was that boot in your ass song and the cheesy Enrique Inglesias song being so popular.  ;D

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 12:26 pm

I'd hardly call Vanessa and Michelle Branch indie and besides, what makes them different from similar 90s music like Jewel and Sixpence None The Richer? I'd consider them the last hurrah of the 'fempop' that was popular from the mid 90s to mid 00s. The only influence 9/11 had on music was that boot in your ass song and the cheesy Enrique Inglesias song being so popular.  ;D

Where is that op      please  link that video ! haha

it explains more in detail

Written By: sonikuu on 12/19/12 at 12:59 pm

I personally think that this shooting will have almost zero effect on pop culture.  Columbine, for example, was a national tragedy and mass shooting as well.  Did it change the course of pop culture though?  No, that it did not.

Written By: snozberries on 12/19/12 at 2:05 pm

Saying you have a friend who's related to someone who works at sandy hook elementary is about as relevant as saying Im not racist because I know someone who's black.

And I'm going to agree with warped, whistled of and Danoot, using the shooting to discuss the potential decline of dance music seems insensitive. 

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 2:20 pm

Saying you have a friend who's related to someone who works at sandy hook elementary is about as relevant as saying Im not racist because I know someone who's black.

And I'm going to agree with warped, whistled of and Danoot, using the shooting to discuss the potential decline of dance music seems insensitive.

He also says he knows Carly Rae Jepsen's management. I'd take it with a whole shaker of salt.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/19/12 at 2:32 pm

I sure hope this shooting doesn't have any effect on the NFL playoffs.  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Emman on 12/19/12 at 2:33 pm

This thread is major fail. :P

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 2:37 pm

Agreed.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/12 at 2:38 pm

Agreed.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 3:05 pm

but im not the one discussing it      i mentioned one thing about it

You are the ones who keep  on running and running with it in this thread           

Hypocritical don't you think?

Therefore you are the ones who are talking about it

anyways

Do you think there are going to be more police force in areas there won't normally be?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 3:06 pm

He also says he knows Carly Rae Jepsen's management. I'd take it with a whole shaker of salt.

I worked at Interscope from 2007-2009

listen to my podcast i did  inthe00s with a shaker of salt :D

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 3:07 pm

Agreed.

I rather have a thread that is a fail  then not post any topics at all and let this board die

Written By: belmont22 on 12/19/12 at 3:14 pm

I rather have a thread that is a fail  then not post any topics at all and let this board die

You give yourself too much credit.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 3:14 pm

You give yourself too much credit.

Well i do post alot of topics  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/12 at 6:42 pm

America does not own this message board, Chucky does.  If he doesn't like it you can't post it.  This board is not America.  And, in case you missed it, there are more than American's here as well.  Warped is not in America.

Add my name to the list of thinking it is insensitive, I don't care who you know that works at the school.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 7:19 pm

America does not own this message board, Chucky does.  If he doesn't like it you can't post it.  This board is not America.  And, in case you missed it, there are more than American's here as well.  Warped is not in America.

Add my name to the list of thinking it is insensitive, I don't care who you know that works at the school.

I asked what did you think of the gun laws a few replys up
What does this have to do with gun laws?

Youre doing it to yourselvs  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 7:23 pm

my friends aunt works @ sandy hook

I am free to talk about whatever I feel like

Go right ahead.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 7:24 pm

Go right ahead.

Thank u howard

So as I was saying

do u think gun laws are going to make more cops appear in public areas?

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 7:25 pm

My friends aunt works at school what don't you get? If someone knows people that work in that school what gives you the right to say something like that?

Music is apart of culture. Gun laws are apart of culture.  What is culture? 

Am i not talking about gun laws in this thread? I am covering everything in culture. People are debating is music would be effected  so I am responding to those responses       

Your topics are quite interesting.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 7:26 pm

I personally think that this shooting will have almost zero effect on pop culture.  Columbine, for example, was a national tragedy and mass shooting as well.  Did it change the course of pop culture though?  No, that it did not.

But what about the violent shooting games? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 7:27 pm

but im not the one discussing it      i mentioned one thing about it

You are the ones who keep  on running and running with it in this thread           

Hypocritical don't you think?

Therefore you are the ones who are talking about it

anyways

Do you think there are going to be more police force in areas there won't normally be?

hopefully in New York.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/12 at 7:28 pm

Thank u howard

So as I was saying

do u think gun laws are going to make more cops appear in public areas?

I'm not sure maybe if we speak up more.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 7:36 pm

I'm not sure maybe if we speak up more.

I hope it duznt get 2 crazy

like police in public bathrooms

Written By: warped on 12/19/12 at 7:44 pm

No doubt

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 7:45 pm

No doubt

So what are your thoughts on those gun laws warped?

Written By: sonikuu on 12/19/12 at 8:12 pm

But what about the violent shooting games? ???

It had zero effect on those though.  Two years after Columbine, Grand Theft Auto III came out, significantly upping the controversy factor, and became a phenomenon.  Not to mention that around that same time period, games like Halo (also 2001) helped push the popularity of shooting games to record high levels of popularity.  The genre was on the ascendancy with regards to popularity through basically the entirety of the 00s.  Columbine definitely had some short-term effect, but in the long-term, it had zero effect on shooting games.

Written By: snozberries on 12/19/12 at 8:52 pm

Your topics are quite interesting.

I think you may be the only other person who thinks so Howard.

Written By: snozberries on 12/19/12 at 8:57 pm

It had zero effect on those though.  Two years after Columbine, Grand Theft Auto III came out, significantly upping the controversy factor, and became a phenomenon.  Not to mention that around that same time period, games like Halo (also 2001) helped push the popularity of shooting games to record high levels of popularity.  The genre was on the ascendancy with regards to popularity through basically the entirety of the 00s.  Columbine definitely had some short-term effect, but in the long-term, it had zero effect on shooting games.

And that's a good thing. I don't care how many hours he logged playing modern warfare. Dude didn't  shoot up the school cuz he liked violent video games. He did it because his synapses didn't fire correctly....end he liked violent video games!  I like violent video games too but I haven't killed anyone....yet.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 9:31 pm

I think you may be the only other person who thinks so Howard.

350 views cant be wrong

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/19/12 at 9:32 pm

And that's a good thing. I don't care how many hours he logged playing modern warfare. Dude didn't  shoot up the school cuz he liked violent video games. He did it because his synapses didn't fire correctly....end he liked violent video games!  I like violent video games too but I haven't killed anyone....yet.

does anyone knw the story of this dude tho,    i havent read what he was on

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/19/12 at 10:02 pm

Wouldn't people want MORE dance music for escapism from the bad events?

Check for new replies or respond here...