inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody born before 1987 like today's music?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/03/13 at 9:05 pm

I was born in 1985 and my parents and my grandparents can remember a time when they stopped liking top 40.  With my parents, it was in their late twenties in the '90s and my grandparents was in the '60s.  I know with my generation, top 40 was less relevant already than prior generations because of the music availability on the Internet, but I was still a huge fan from the euro-dance era through early Gaga.  Today however, I am starting to feel like there is less and less good stuff in Top 40.  There are still some songs I like, but I feel less and less of a connection to the music with each passing year.  I'm sorry I just can't relate to Justin Bieber or the watered down electropop that has turned out to be nothing like I thought it would be when the trend started in 2009.  Is this a sign I am getting older, or is the music of today really that stale?

Do you know many people over age 25 that jam to today's top 40?

Subject: Re: Anybody born before 1987 like today's music?

Written By: RG1995 on 01/03/13 at 9:28 pm

This year was the best year for music in years. Rock finally transitioning from post-Grunge into a more Indie-Pop/Neo-Folk thing, catchy songs like Call Me Maybe and Lights. It's getting better, but that's just my imo.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/03/13 at 9:47 pm

This year was the best year for music in years. Rock finally transitioning from post-Grunge into a more Indie-Pop/Neo-Folk thing, catchy songs like Call Me Maybe and Lights. It's getting better, but that's just my imo.

I actually really liked the rock of 2012.  Other genres, not so much.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/03/13 at 10:00 pm

There is only one of today's music genres that I like, and that's about it! I do not listen to the top 40 of today.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/03/13 at 10:13 pm

Why 1987? I was born in 1987 and I don't consider today's music my music. I'm almost 26 years old and a lot of stuff is for teens now. Dude you're only 2 years older, stop acting like you're so different.  ::) Personally I don't care as much about today's music as I used to, but it's probably better than late '00s. My favorite that I was around for is 90s to mid 00s.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/03/13 at 10:47 pm

I was born in 1986 and except for one brain-dead counterpart who thinks Justin Beiber is the second coming, not really.

Most of my friends like MJ--not to the level of passion I display though--and other R&B artists, and some gospel. Decent, good music, untouched by auto-tune.

Written By: af2010 on 01/03/13 at 10:58 pm

Why 1987? I was born in 1987 and I don't consider today's music my music. I'm almost 26 years old and a lot of stuff is for teens now. Dude you're only 2 years older, stop acting like you're so different.  ::) Personally I don't care as much about today's music as I used to, but it's probably better than late '00s. My favorite that I was around for is 90s to mid 00s.

Yea I was also born in 87, and I'm not a big fan of most of today's music.  I don't necessarily feel 'too old', I just don't like the way it sounds ;).  People are usually most inluenced by (and therefor prefer) the music that was popular when they came of age (preteen-teens).

Written By: belmont22 on 01/03/13 at 11:02 pm

I don't even think people born in 1992 are really that into today's music to be honest, let alone someone born in 1987 who is closer to 30 than to 20.

Of course, there's probably even 40 year olds who like some of today's music. But really, today's music aims at the 1994 to 2003 born crowd I would say.

Written By: Emman on 01/04/13 at 1:01 am

I think what  bchris02 said could also be interpreted as those born in 1987 or before, like s/he asked whether you know people over 25 that likes modern top 40 but that can include some people born in 1988 now. I just listened to Billboard's top 100 end of the year lists for the years 1999, 2003, and 2012, the 1999 list was almost unbearable to me, mostly extremely generic R&B ballads and some alt pop, the 2003 list was mostly hip-hop and post-grunge, and I'd say the 2012 one is probably the most enjoyable list with euro-R&B, dubstep, trap rap 8-P, and indie pop(although there was a lot of generic country)I'd take Gotye's and Alex Clare's hit songs over Avril Larvigne's and Nickelback's any day.

I actually think some dubstep is interesting(in a novelty way) with the strange ways the wubble basses can "speak" but the brostep version is music that truly appeals to the lowest common denominator. I'm glad The Beach Boys released one of their best albums in decades this year too.....oh I mean last year. 8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/04/13 at 3:38 am

I don't think that it always has to do with the age - it also depends on the personal taste.

The only full decade of music which perfectly fits to my taste is the 80s. Since the late 80s, I only like some selected titles but I would never say that I like 90s, 00s or 10s music in general. I also didn't really like 00s music when I was a teen and part of the main target group.

2011 and 12 had some great songs by the way (e. g. Gotye), but I also hate a lot of stuff.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/04/13 at 3:44 am

Why 1987? I was born in 1987 and I don't consider today's music my music.

He specifically said 'people over 25'. Actually, anybody is over 25 directly after - or maybe even on his 25th birthday ;)

Written By: gibbo on 01/04/13 at 5:31 am

Okay ... It's called growing up. As we get older and other responsibilities take over, we outgrow the whole 'top 40' thing. I was born in 1960 ...  I lost interest in the latest music around the late 80's. It's no coincidence that I also got married and started having kids around that time.

There have been some tunes since then that I really liked (including Gaga, Kimbra, Gotye etc) ... but most of these artists came to me via my children. I am simply not interested in actively seeking out todays music. I use youtube to check out songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's).

Written By: Howard on 01/04/13 at 6:43 am

Is this a sign I am getting older, or is the music of today really that stale?

Music is getting stale, there is not much to listen to these days on the radio except for a few oldies stations and that's about it.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/13 at 6:46 am

There is only one of today's music genres that I like, and that's about it! I do not listen to the top 40 of today.

There is a few I like but nothing beats the good old days.

Written By: warped on 01/04/13 at 7:09 am

Okay ... It's called growing up. As we get older and other responsibilities take over, we outgrow the whole 'top 40' thing. I was born in 1960 ...  I lost interest in the latest music around the late 80's. It's no coincidence that I also got married and started having kids around that time.
. I use youtube to check out songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's).

I'm somewhat like gibbo, but I lost interest in music in the late 1980s coz I think it began to become terrible. 20+ years later, it's still terrible. There might be 1 song out of 100 that is tolerable, but the rest will give me a headache. It seems (and just my personal opinion) that people forgot how to write good songs somewhere in the 80s. And with this hip hop, rap, techno sound, over emphasis on a loud beat, garbled voice...it's not even music to me, it's just "an annoying noise".

So I listen to music mostly from the 60s, 70s, sometimes the 80s too.

Generation gap? Maybe.

Written By: meesa on 01/04/13 at 8:57 am

I am of a similar opinion of Warped. Here's why-look around at todays music artists. Is there anyone who can compare to the Rolling Stones? How about the Beatles? I'm not talking about fan base size-I'm talking about good writing, good music. Do we have an Aretha now? We have Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Carly Jepsen. Yes they have large fan bases but have they written  or have they sang anything that compares to, say, Jimi Hendrix? How about compared to Michael Jackson, or The Four Tops, or Temptations, the list goes on. To me, the music being released now is mediocre at best, but most of it sounds like it was heavily produced, dubbed over, and is so carefully picked over and combed down for the masses after being written that it means nothing and sounds like everything else. Homogenized.Is it because I am older? Probably, but, I have found a few groups that I like (although they very rarely hit a top 100 let alone 40), so I don't think it has to do with age so much as what is available out there.

Look at it this way-if all you ever hear is mediocrity, why would you expect better? The bunches that flock to Bieber and that Jepsen girl, etc like them because they don't have a lot of choices-if all they listen to is the mainstream radio and don't do some digging for something better.

Written By: warped on 01/04/13 at 12:57 pm

I am of a similar opinion of Warped. Here's why-look around at todays music artists. Is there anyone who can compare to the Rolling Stones? How about the Beatles? I'm not talking about fan base size-I'm talking about good writing, good music. Do we have an Aretha now? We have Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Carly Jepsen. Yes they have large fan bases but have they written  or have they sang anything that compares to, say, Jimi Hendrix? How about compared to Michael Jackson, or The Four Tops, or Temptations, the list goes on. To me, the music being released now is mediocre at best, but most of it sounds like it was heavily produced, dubbed over, and is so carefully picked over and combed down for the masses after being written that it means nothing and sounds like everything else. Homogenized.Is it because I am older? Probably, but, I have found a few groups that I like (although they very rarely hit a top 100 let alone 40), so I don't think it has to do with age so much as what is available out there.

Look at it this way-if all you ever hear is mediocrity, why would you expect better? The bunches that flock to Bieber and that Jepsen girl, etc like them because they don't have a lot of choices-if all they listen to is the mainstream radio and don't do some digging for something better.

Excellent post. And you are being so generous in calling today's music as "mediocre at best"  ;D

I think if I really expressed my opinion on today's music here, I think my comments might be too harsh for some.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/04/13 at 2:38 pm

I am of a similar opinion of Warped. Here's why-look around at todays music artists. Is there anyone who can compare to the Rolling Stones? How about the Beatles? I'm not talking about fan base size-I'm talking about good writing, good music.

I do think that attitude can differ along generational lines, though. For example, my Grandparents love Elvis, but even after all these years, they still see the Stones and Beatles, or really anything from the mid 60's forward, as nothing but "noise". That being said, I agree with the general premise of what you're saying. My favorite period in music ranges from roughly 1964 through 1972ish, and I would say that (from a mainstream standpoint) what was popular then was leagues better than what's popular today.

As for the question, I was born in 1987 and I actually liked a number of 2012 songs, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule with others around my age. Most of the people I went to school with and still hang out with on a semi-regular basis today (mostly guys born in '87 or '88) still listen to '00s Post Grunge (and really centering on Y2K era stuff like old Linkin Park and Puddle of Mudd). It almost seems like most people's tastes tend to freeze with whatever was popular when they were in high school.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/04/13 at 3:28 pm

I actually like Carly Rae Jepsen though I admit she's not that original. She has a nice voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQDQQmBrTY

Written By: Howard on 01/04/13 at 7:16 pm

I'm somewhat like gibbo, but I lost interest in music in the late 1980s coz I think it began to become terrible. 20+ years later, it's still terrible. There might be 1 song out of 100 that is tolerable, but the rest will give me a headache. It seems (and just my personal opinion) that people forgot how to write good songs somewhere in the 80s. And with this hip hop, rap, techno sound, over emphasis on a loud beat, garbled voice...it's not even music to me, it's just "an annoying noise".

Generation gap? Maybe.

People back then knew how to make music, today music is nothing but crap!  :P

Written By: RG1995 on 01/04/13 at 7:23 pm

People back then knew how to make music, today music is nothing but crap!  :P
Very objective, I see.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/13 at 8:34 pm

Top 20 songs on Billboard Hot 100 this week...

1). Locked out of heaven, Bruno Mars. I like, but it's not very original though. Sounds too much like The Police circa 1983.
2). I knew you were trouble, Taylor Swift. I like it, it's catchy. This is faaaar from a country song though.
3). Diamonds, Rihanna. Catchy, but I don't like it because the song sounds like it's targeted towards 11 year olds.
4). Ho Hey, The Lumineers. Better than rap circa 2006 obviously, well at least to me.
5). Beauty and a beat, Justin Bieber Ft. Nikki Minaj. Don't really care for this song.
6). Gangnum Style, Psy. Funny, I like it.
7). Die Young, Kesha. It's okay.
8. One More Night, Maroon 5. I like it enough.
9). Home, Phillip Phillips. I love this song.
10). Thrift Shop, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Ft. Wanz. This song is a parody of today's rap, if you realize it.

11). I cry, Flo Rida. Reminds me too much of 2007 rap, which I don't care for.
12). Scream and Shout, William Ft. Britney Spears. Great concept, but needs more verses. I like Britney, but this songs sucks!
13). Some Nights, fun., Great song!
14). Girl on Fire, Alicia Keys Ft. Nikki Minaj. It's okay.
15). Don't You Worry Child, Swedish House Mafia Featuring John Martin. Sounds very European, I like!
16). The A Team, Ed Sheeran. Sounds like someone is a good songwriter.
17). We are never ever getting back together, Taylor Swift. I actually like this song, but it can get kinda annoying though.
18). Try, Pink. Love it.
19). Cruise, Florida Georgia Line. Country? Different, I likey.
20). Swimming Pools (Drank), Kendrick Lamar. Blech!

I like 15 out of the 20 songs on the chart above. Maybe if you rewinded me back to 2007 I would say music sucked, but it's been ALOT worse. To each his own.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/04/13 at 8:37 pm

I can't say I like much music past the start of the decade. Auto-tune and the loudness wars have destroyed rock music in the last three years.  I haven't listened to the Rock charts for 2012 yet, I stopped at 2011, so I'm hoping the trend may have died off in the rock genre at least.

I tried listening to the top 100 songs of 2011 for the Hot 100, and there's a handful of songs I like, Adele, Cee Lo Green, Foster the People, and even "S&M" by Rhianna isn't awful. But out of the first 70 or so songs, I like maybe 6.  The rest I couldn't even listen to a second time.

Take for example: "2011_064 - Jay-Z & Kanye West Featuring Otis Redding - Otis" - here's a real piece of garbage.  It's an Otis Redding song, barely even looped, with two of the biggest jerks in the music industry basically talking over it about 1 minute into a 3 minute song.  It's like an unfunny version of MST3K.  Most of the hip-hop sounds like that.  I did like rap music in the 80s.  They'd loop a song, add some beats, have clever lyrics.  What's out now on the charts? Not even close to interesting, or listenable. 

The dance stuff is all same-same sounding thanks to the auto-tune, the country stuff doesn't have the auto-tune, but the twang is way too over the top, and the less said about "Glee" the better.

I was sent a link to this song the other day, big hit in Holland, not released in the US.  It's pretty good, so it'll probably never see the light of day on US radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMcxfxViV0

Just looking at what charts, I assume no one over the age of 12 buys current music. My mother bought current music when I was a pre-teen and teenage for herself.  Stuff that was out and popular, so no, I don't think it has always been this way.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/04/13 at 8:41 pm

Just looking at what charts, I assume no one over the age of 12 buys current music. My mother bought current music when I was a pre-teen and teenage for herself.  Stuff that was out and popular, so no, I don't think it has always been this way.

Even my sister, who is 18 doesn't really follow today's music. I have actually been the one to turn her on to many things, such as Owl City and Cheryl Cole.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/13 at 8:41 pm

I can't say I like much music past the start of the decade. Auto-tune and the loudness wars have destroyed rock music in the last three years.  I haven't listened to the Rock charts for 2012 yet, I stopped at 2011, so I'm hoping the trend may have died off in the rock genre at least.

I tried listening to the top 100 songs of 2011 for the Hot 100, and there's a handful of songs I like, Adele, Cee Lo Green, Foster the People, and even "S&M" by Rhianna isn't awful. But out of the first 70 or so songs, I like maybe 6.  The rest I couldn't even listen to a second time.

Take for example: "2011_064 - Jay-Z & Kanye West Featuring Otis Redding - Otis" - here's a real piece of garbage.  It's an Otis Redding song, barely even looped, with two of the biggest jerks in the music industry basically talking over it about 1 minute into a 3 minute song.  It's like an unfunny version of MST3K.  Most of the hip-hop sounds like that.  I did like rap music in the 80s.  They'd loop a song, add some beats, have clever lyrics.  What's out now on the charts? Not even close to interesting, or listenable. 

The dance stuff is all same-same sounding thanks to the auto-tune, the country stuff doesn't have the auto-tune, but the twang is way too over the top, and the less said about "Glee" the better.

I was sent a link to this song the other day, big hit in Holland, not released in the US.  It's pretty good, so it'll probably never see the light of day on US radio.

I like 15 of the songs, but I only love 6 or 7 or them! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/13 at 9:32 pm

I was born in the 70s and I listen to today's music, but not strictly the Top 40 because in today's music, the best music is not in the Top 40. 
Growing up in the 80s, I now listen to dance music because it's as close to 80s music as I can get.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/05/13 at 12:43 am

10). Thrift Shop, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Ft. Wanz. This song is a parody of today's rap, if you realize it.
How? Never saw it as that.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/13 at 7:05 am

Even my sister, who is 18 doesn't really follow today's music. I have actually been the one to turn her on to many things, such as Owl City and Cheryl Cole.

My Parents have trouble following today's music.

Written By: warped on 01/05/13 at 8:32 am

Not bad. I too listened to the top 100 songs of 2011 & 2012, I think I found 1 out of 200 that was tolerable. This song here is better than anything in either of those 2 lists.

I'm still thinking the generation gap is one of the factors. My parents listened to Sinatra, Bing Crosby and the Big Bands. (My parents were born in the 1920s) and they could not tolerate Elvis or the Beatles, The Stones, it wasn't music according to them, just loud noises. Eventually I got my folks to listen to songs such as "Yesterday", 'Long and Winding Road", "Michelle", "In my life" to name a few, and they enjoyed it, they also didn't mind ABBA and Barry Manilow. I compare that to myself today, I don't mind Michael Buble's stuff. For me it's better than any of the "noise" in the top 100. 

If I were young, in my early 20s, maybe I would like todays music. It's possible. But we will never know.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/05/13 at 9:35 am

I need to ask, what are we considering music? I was born in 1962 but was never a fan of top 40 in any decade.
Growing up in the 70's I was huge fan of the progressive movement. When that died out in the 80's my likes
turned to Heavy Metal. I love some of the artist in today's music, the progressive movement sort of evolved
in today's symphonic/operatic metal. I love bands like Epica, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, After Forever,
Nightwish and Sonata Arctica. I also go to the other side of metal, it is not uncommon to hear the likes of
Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus or Trivium blaring from my truck

I think music is suffering from technology not advancing because of it. It is too easy to produce a sound or
sing in tune, music has become too robotic. The need for a band is long gone, all that is needed now is a face.
Those of us that lived through the need of musicians also lived through the sound the actual instrumets made,
mistakes and all. To me, that's what made it better, and that's why I listen to metal.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/05/13 at 9:42 am

I think music is suffering from technology not advancing because of it. It is too easy to produce a sound or
sing in tune, music has become too robotic. The need for a band is long gone, all that is needed now is a face.
Those of us that lived through the need of musicians also lived through the sound the actual instrumets made,
mistakes and all. To me, that's what made it better, and that's why I listen to metal.

Same with many things, I blame not technology but capitalism. I mostly listen to electronic music from 1980-present and you can do amazing things with synths.

The problem is they are all out to make a safe, quick buck so they appeal to children, the only demographic that doesn't seem to discern taste, and use the most generic safest music because they are no longer willing to take any risks.

Another problem is that corporate giants rule the whole US media and increasingly the rest of the world's media as well, so local talent gets little if any radioplay. I don't even think most stations honour song requests anymore to be honest and if they do, the selection is probably highly limited.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/13 at 5:14 pm

There's still lots of good music being made today.

The question is, if it's not Billboard Top 40 music, does it "count?" ???

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/05/13 at 5:59 pm

Most people don't believe it does "count" because they don't hear it when they go to the mall or rather. But that's not to say the song doesn't exist. Probably as long as the artist is well-established is should "count" at least.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/13 at 7:12 pm

I remember once you said most of today's music is created for 12 year old girls. You're right.  :-\\

Starting in the late 90s, the mainstream targeted 11/12 year old kiddies!  :D

Written By: Howard on 01/05/13 at 7:31 pm

Those of us that lived through the need of musicians also lived through the sound the actual instruments made,

That's why back in the 1980's, bands knew how to produce good music and good sound.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/06/13 at 12:09 am

That's why back in the 1980's, bands knew how to produce good music and good sound.
Yep, none of that today. And ALL 80s bands were perfect.  ::)

Written By: karen on 01/06/13 at 1:46 pm

There have been some tunes since then that I really liked (including Gaga, Kimbra, Gotye etc) ... but most of these artists came to me via my children. I am simply not interested in actively seeking out todays music. I use youtube to check out songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's).

This (except the born in 1960 part!  ;) )

I realised recently that there is a big dip in my music knowledge - namely chart music from the mid-90s onwards.  Once I married and settled down I just stopped listening to chart shows or any radio that played top 40 music.  Once my kids started wanting to listen to current stuff then I started listening to it again.  But I mostly stick with what I know.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/13 at 1:53 pm

Generation gap? Maybe.

Same here. As Bob Seger said, "Today's music ain't got the same soul. I want that old time ROCK-n-ROLL!"

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/06/13 at 3:12 pm

Yep, none of that today. And ALL 80s bands were perfect.  ::)

most of them.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/13 at 3:13 pm

Same here. As Bob Seger said, "Today's music ain't got the same soul. I want that old time ROCK-n-ROLL!"

Cat

good words from Bob Seger.

Written By: belmont22 on 01/06/13 at 8:28 pm

I've noticed a pattern that most people born in the 60's seem to have lost interest in music somewhere in between 1985 and 1995. I think this is because 1) rock music and classic R&B and such was declining during this period 2) once you have kids it's harder to keep in touch with pop culture and 3) for many people interest in modern pop culture declines in your 20s.

My mom was born in '63 and seems familiar with music from the early 1970s to mid 1980s the most.

Written By: holicman on 01/07/13 at 3:51 am

I dont mind some of the rock released but most of the other stuff is crap.....except a few ballads and easy listening

Written By: Inertia on 01/07/13 at 5:40 am

I was born in 1989.

I dislike the vast majority of current music.

Then again, I have disliked the vast majority of popular music since the early 2000's which I suppose is ironic as such music is generally considered "my generation."

I have always been very selective with my tastes.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/13 at 6:56 am

My mom was born in '63 and seems familiar with music from the early 1970s to mid 1980s the most.

My Parents were born in the doo wop era so they like the music from the 1950's.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/13 at 6:58 am

I was born in 1989.

I was born in 1974 and I'm not crazy about today's music.

Written By: Starde on 01/08/13 at 7:05 pm

Ooo, me likey! I wish music like this was at the top of the charts than a lot of today's current stuff. As for me, I'm in my early 20's and am not a fan of the majority of today's music so it's definitely not just people born before 1987. In fact, the only reason I'm aware of some of today's music is because of friends, acquaintances, and entertainment magazines/websites. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a damn clue who or what is popular nowadays. I haven't listened to a Top 40 radio station in about 4 years now. I love music and have very eclectic taste in it, but I definitely got selective when I was in high school and even more so when I started college. Is there music I have enjoyed listening to in the past year? Yes, but most of them aren't very popular or haven't gained popularity in the US yet. For example, there are a few UK acts I've been listening to that I truly wish would find success in the US, but I don't know if they ever will because of their sound. :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/13 at 7:12 pm

I was born before 1987, and am quite fond of Ke$ha's music.  8)

http://media.npr.org/assets/music/news/2010/01/kesha.jpg?t=1263569897

Written By: kairosan on 01/09/13 at 4:33 am

1987,won't really like 2040's music

Written By: Howard on 01/09/13 at 7:11 am

1987,won't really like 2040's music

that won't be for another 30 years.

Written By: 1993 on 01/17/13 at 12:34 pm

I do think that attitude can differ along generational lines, though. For example, my Grandparents love Elvis, but even after all these years, they still see the Stones and Beatles, or really anything from the mid 60's forward, as nothing but "noise". That being said, I agree with the general premise of what you're saying. My favorite period in music ranges from roughly 1964 through 1972ish, and I would say that (from a mainstream standpoint) what was popular then was leagues better than what's popular today.

As for the question, I was born in 1987 and I actually liked a number of 2012 songs, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule with others around my age. Most of the people I went to school with and still hang out with on a semi-regular basis today (mostly guys born in '87 or '88) still listen to '00s Post Grunge (and really centering on Y2K era stuff like old Linkin Park and Puddle of Mudd). It almost seems like most people's tastes tend to freeze with whatever was popular when they were in high school.

To love Elvis and hate the Stones/Beatles...very interesting. Especially the Beatles who put out more melodic stuff (though the Stones rocked harder and were...are...very raunchy) I'd figure your grandparents would warm up to both groups by now.

I'm 28 and generally not interested in todays music. Some pop stuff I sort of like, but I have no clue what's going on in any other genre. The Black Keys are ok, but I can't go nuts about them. Mumford and Sons is just sleepy passionless fiddling around. I don't know what dubstep is. Anything a hipster would like I would probably hate.

Growing up, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Oasis etc were the soundtrack to an early - mid 90's existence, and plus you also had older icons like The Stones, Aerosmith, Paul McCartney, Fleetwod Mac still hanging around through the 90's (and not all that old at that point either) That period I have a closer kinship too. Even though I was too young to be a teenage flannel wearing grunger, I can at least claim some ownership to that era.

I like a lot of late 70's and early 80's as well. Ramones, Cars, Blondie, Talking Heads etc. Those were my parents favorites.

Those bands don't seem to be as popular with post 1990 babies though.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/13 at 1:43 pm

I'm 28 and generally not interested in todays music.

I agree, I'm not crazy about today's music either and I'm almost 40.

Written By: AllianceOfDefiance on 01/20/13 at 5:24 am

Oh shoot me! I was born in 1990 (so 22 years old.) I love todays music as it is the soundtrack to my life. When I go on a night out, I live for hearing that new song that gets me pumped.

This thread is bleak. I will be 25 in a few years, I appreciate music of the past, but please shoot me if I ever stop liking new things or ever start a sentence with the opening 'in the good old days...'  Bluergh.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/13 at 6:58 am

even my parents can't understand today's music.

Written By: AllianceOfDefiance on 01/20/13 at 7:33 am

What is that supposed to prove? That we have somehow reached a cultural/art apocalypse? no.
Older people have always complained about 'the music today'. My nan told me how her parents called the music she liked in the 50's; the 'devils' music.  Nothing new. The style of pop music changes all the time, pop music will sound different in a matter of years.

My parents enjoy new music, albeit they aren't as keen to specifically go looking for new music, but nevertheless they still ask me the names of new songs they've heard and liked.

It is silly, how generation after generation falls for the same nostalgia-tripe. I feel sorry for those who have shut off from experimenting with new music, especially the people on here who are as young as 20! 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/13 at 1:11 pm

What is that supposed to prove? That we have somehow reached a cultural/art apocalypse? no.
Older people have always complained about 'the music today'. My nan told me how her parents called the music she liked in the 50's; the 'devils' music.  Nothing new. The style of pop music changes all the time, pop music will sound different in a matter of years.

My parents enjoy new music, albeit they aren't as keen to specifically go looking for new music, but nevertheless they still ask me the names of new songs they've heard and liked.

It is silly, how generation after generation falls for the same nostalgia-tripe. I feel sorry for those who have shut off from experimenting with new music, especially the people on here who are as young as 20!

Can you give us some examples of new music you like?

Written By: Creeder on 01/20/13 at 2:16 pm

Yes, I do like today's music. But its mainly popular indie rock bands and the occasional pop/hip-hop songs. I don't like that the target audience of modern pop music is 12-13 year old girls, but whatever. I'm 24 years old, born in 1989. :)

Written By: AllianceOfDefiance on 01/20/13 at 3:49 pm

Can you give us some examples of new music you like?

Sure plenty of decent pop today. As recent as say '10/'11  Kid Kudi, Kings of Leon, Drake, Owl City, Ed Sheeran, noah and the whale. I think the person who says that pop music is aimed at 12 year olds is wrong. If anything, it's aimed more at people in their 20's who have a social life and go to bars/clubs.

I must admit there are plenty of boring x factor contestants covering classic songs, but nothing you can't easily avoid these days. The thing is new music can be found so easily, and music that will cater to the style or genre you are interested in.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/22/13 at 12:34 am

To love Elvis and hate the Stones/Beatles...very interesting. Especially the Beatles who put out more melodic stuff (though the Stones rocked harder and were...are...very raunchy) I'd figure your grandparents would warm up to both groups by now.

Their tastes really have nothing to do with the music itself and everything to do with the culture surrounding it. My grandparents still see the fifties as the "good old days", and believe that anything that came after that sucks. That's still better than my grandfather on my dad's side though. He's a little older, likes 40's swing music, and thinks that even fifties rock is noise.

I refuse to be that closed minded, and that's why I refuse to just dismiss today's music out of hand because the stuff I liked in high school isn't popular anymore. Well, that and the fact that alot of the music that I liked in high school sucked anyway. ;D

Written By: tv on 01/25/13 at 6:45 pm

Oh shoot me! I was born in 1990 (so 22 years old.) I love todays music as it is the soundtrack to my life. When I go on a night out, I live for hearing that new song that gets me pumped.

This thread is bleak. I will be 25 in a few years, I appreciate music of the past, but please shoot me if I ever stop liking new things or ever start a sentence with the opening 'in the good old days...'  Bluergh.
I still followed music when I was 25(in 2005) but when I was like 28 or 29 I was like I can't stand this anymore.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/13 at 8:01 pm

I still followed music when I was 25(in 2005) but when I was like 28 or 29 I was like I can't stand this anymore.

What music do you listen to now? ???

Written By: tv on 01/26/13 at 5:25 pm

What music do you listen to now? ???
Basically older stuff like from the 80's and from the 90's mostly alternative rock  from that decade. I don't really to the listen to music on the radio I just go to Youtube if I want to hear something. I don't really listen to much stuff from the 00's: maybe its just not nostalgic enough yet.

I like seeing old R&B on the urban channels on TV especially like the New Jack Swing stuff from the late 80's/early 90's.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/13 at 7:48 pm

I don't really to the listen to music on the radio I just go to Youtube if I want to hear something. I don't really listen to much stuff from the 00's: maybe its just not nostalgic enough yet.

Do you have Winamp? You could listen to music from there, any genre you'd like.

Written By: Bobby on 02/02/13 at 6:29 pm

I used to be quite close-minded on a lot of stuff that is out 'in the present day'. Nowadays I have softened my approach and do like to listen to what is out there though I still have trouble listening to the people/bands who don't sing but sound like they are whining into the microphone...

I do wonder whether it's because people that are older have been there and done that with music. They did all the love, romance, rebellion and attitude way back when and now find most of it contrived and roll their eyes at the product they see before them.

Pop music today completely relies on children's/teen's ignorance. The amount of cover songs that come out these days is quite something and, of course, the kids think it's all brand new.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/13 at 7:31 pm

A lot of the music today is just complete garbage noise so that's why I prefer the old school music.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/02/13 at 8:20 pm

A lot of the music today is just complete garbage noise so that's why I prefer the old school music.
You can say that about any time

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/13 at 6:44 pm

If you can't find something to love in every form of music, then you aren't a music lover.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/13 at 6:51 am

If you can't find something to love in every form of music, then you aren't a music lover.

that's true.

Written By: Henk on 02/04/13 at 7:46 am

I've noticed a pattern that most people born in the 60's seem to have lost interest in music somewhere in between 1985 and 1995. I think this is because 1) rock music and classic R&B and such was declining during this period 2) once you have kids it's harder to keep in touch with pop culture and 3) for many people interest in modern pop culture declines in your 20s.

Then I must be the exception to the rule. I was born in 1966, and kept track of contemporary music until the late 2000's/early 2010's. Main reason for me to give up on music: in 2011, the only Dutch music television station TMF went off the air (by then it had been taken over by MTV - need I say more?).
This is not to say that I liked everything I heard, but I tried keeping an open mind. Until about 2008, I think I knew roughly 90% of songs in our Top 40. Right now, there's a bout 90% that I don't know - and probably don't care for either.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/04/13 at 2:55 pm

Music is getting stale, there is not much to listen to these days on the radio except for a few oldies stations and that's about it.

In this I have to agree.  Other then for a brief period from around 1999-2001, I have not listened to "pop music" in decades.

I think a lot of it is exactly that, it is now all the same.  For a few years we had variety return, with Lou Bega, Smash Mouth, and a few other groups that changed up styles so that you were not listening to 40 minutes of the same thing over and over again.

And that is really what is killing pop music in my opinion.  Back in the 1970's and before, pop music was all kinds of music.  R&B, Country, Rock, Easy Listening, Jazz, it all used to co-exist at the same time on the pop chart.  You would have Kenny Loggins, Kenny Rogers, Lionel Ritchie, Duran-Duran, even Prince and Stevie Wonder all on the charts at once.

Now, it is all Rap and what they call "rock" today, and I can't stand harldy any of it.  A far cry from the 1980's, when my parents and grandparents would listen to a lot of what was on the charts.

I listen to Classic or "oldies alternative" for the most part now, occasionally "soft jazz" or country when I want to hear something else.

Written By: Emman on 02/04/13 at 3:52 pm

Now, it is all Rap and what they call "rock" today, and I can't stand harldy any of it.  A far cry from the 1980's, when my parents and grandparents would listen to a lot of what was on the charts.

Actually even rap(and R&B) has been declining in popularity over the past 5 years, the dominate form of pop music today is actually EDM/house/dubstep and country-pop :o. Maybe in the '00s is was all rap but today it is all electro-house.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/13 at 5:59 pm

In my personal opinion it all went downhill after the 90s. I don't think music will be good again until 2090!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/04/13 at 7:42 pm

Now, it is all Rap and what they call "rock" today, and I can't stand hardly any of it.  A far cry from the 1980's, when my parents and grandparents would listen to a lot of what was on the charts.

I agree, music is not the way it used to be anymore, It's sad. :(

Written By: RG1995 on 02/04/13 at 8:01 pm

Oh my god, there were just as many awful acts (look at some of the Top 40 hits from the late 80s/early 90s) decades ago.

Written By: warped on 02/05/13 at 7:56 am

Oh my god, there were just as many awful acts (look at some of the Top 40 hits from the late 80s/early 90s) decades ago.

Sadly there were. Even more sadly (in my opinion) is those songs are better than anything in the top 100 over the last 15-20 years.  :(

Written By: Mushroom on 02/05/13 at 4:09 pm

There were.  But at least it was an ever-changing variety.  Heck, look at the top songs for 1988:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_1988_(U.S.)

Guns & Roses, replaced by Bobby McFerrin, replaced by Def Leppard, replaced by UB40, replaced by Phil Collins, replaced by The Beach Boys!  When was the last time some group/artist from over 20 years earlier got the top spot in the Top 40 charts?

To most of us older folks, the biggest problem with "pop music" now is that it all tends to pretty much sound the same.  Nobody experiments with new sounds, and you would almost never get some artist from yesterday popping back up with a brand new hit (we had no problem with The Beach Boys or Stevie Wonder, artists from the 1960's making it again in the late 1980's, imagine the reaction if Cyndi Lauper or Devo tried to make the Top 40 today).

Written By: RG1995 on 02/05/13 at 4:50 pm

So, why not look for good music? And don't tell me it takes too much time. Go on Songza or Pandora, and you can find plenty of diversity in modern music.

Also, the reason I have hope for music is that we are starting to see more indie-crossover stuff reach the Top 40.

Written By: Bobby on 02/05/13 at 8:40 pm

Guns & Roses, replaced by Bobby McFerrin, replaced by Def Leppard, replaced by UB40, replaced by Phil Collins, replaced by The Beach Boys!  When was the last time some group/artist from over 20 years earlier got the top spot in the Top 40 charts?

Just a year earlier in the UK, Ben.E.King, Percy Sledge and Jackie Wilson all entered the charts. They were unpredictable times. :)

Written By: Butterball on 02/05/13 at 10:01 pm

In a word, No.

Written By: captainEO on 02/06/13 at 5:19 am

So, why not look for good music? And don't tell me it takes too much time. Go on Songza or Pandora, and you can find plenty of diversity in modern music.

Also, the reason I have hope for music is that we are starting to see more indie-crossover stuff reach the Top 40.

This.

There's plenty of good modern music. You just need to find it.

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/13 at 6:30 am

This.

There's plenty of good modern music. You just need to find it.

I agree with this.  Today, I heard Nicole Scherzinger (originally lead-singer from Pussycat Dolls) sing 'Don't Hold Your Breath' on the radio. From a musical achievement stand-point there is nothing remarkable about it but I liked the simple melody behind the song and the structure. That is a commercial pop song I just happened to listen to today. I have gained loads of music by digging around on Last.fm by just typing a key-word. Good music (modern or not) is out there. We have to expose ourselves to it. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/06/13 at 7:10 am

To most of us older folks, the biggest problem with "pop music" now is that it all tends to pretty much sound the same.  Nobody experiments with new sounds, and you would almost never get some artist from yesterday popping back up with a brand new hit (we had no problem with The Beach Boys or Stevie Wonder, artists from the 1960's making it again in the late 1980's, imagine the reaction if Cyndi Lauper or Devo tried to make the Top 40 today).

artists today are trying to get back into the spotlight like they once did back then.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/06/13 at 6:55 pm

Even if you don't like pop music, why not at least try Alternative Rock radio? Indie is finally taking over the post-Grunge sound, and many crossover hits start on alt radio.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/13 at 7:36 pm

Even if you don't like pop music, why not at least try Alternative Rock radio? Indie is finally taking over the post-Grunge sound, and many crossover hits start on alt radio.

What does that sound like?

Written By: RG1995 on 02/07/13 at 2:03 pm

What does that sound like?
Anything from a Queen-esque sound like fun., and electronic rock sound like MGMT, or something folksy like The Lumineers. A lot of diversity.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/09/13 at 8:13 pm

Anything from a Queen-esque sound like fun., and electronic rock sound like MGMT, or something folksy like The Lumineers. A lot of diversity.

its not bad

Written By: Venomous Mask on 04/11/13 at 10:59 pm

I like lots of underground stuff.

As far as mainstream music, I like a few new songs, but on the whole, I find it very shallow and boring.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/13 at 5:35 am

I like lots of underground stuff.

As far as mainstream music, I like a few new songs, but on the whole, I find it very shallow and boring.

I agree, today's music is kind of dull and boring.

Written By: wildcard on 04/12/13 at 10:40 am

Today's music ain't got the same soul          and I don't just mean it's not rock

Written By: warped on 04/12/13 at 12:07 pm

I agree, today's music is kind of dull and boring.

Today's music ain't got the same soul          and I don't just mean it's not rock

Today's music...isn't music. :(

I'd rather be stuck on public transit hearing a baby cry for 5 minutes instead of hearing most of the stuff in the top 40 over the last few years.

Written By: meesa on 04/12/13 at 2:36 pm

The recent music that I like is not usually on the Top 100, let alone the Top 40-but then I am not a big fan of electronic-driven music. I need some actual instruments played by real people in my music to enjoy it. I understand that not everyone is going to like the same thing; that's cool. But it makes me sad when I look at the top 40, etc and realize that there is very little there that I am going to like. So, I just stopped looking..there. And I don't usually have time to hop onto the world wide web ( or anywhere else) and listen for hours to find that one song that I like. Too many other irons going in my fire!

A song has to have a soul winding through it, as Wildcard and others have pointed out. I don't mean it has to have a message that is heavy and laden with meaning -although that is usually the music that I want to listen to-but it has to be more than just a bunch of noises generated from a computer program that is probably fed information evaluated to reproduce the latest trends or fodder that will appeal to a  demographic.

Example: Beatles- I Wanna Hold Your Hand. It doesn't have a heavy message, but I could listen to it all day long because it sounds like it was made by people who put at least a little thought into what they wanted to express. It has real drums, real guitars, and no godawful autotune. This song isn't trying to impress you with any clever manipulation of technology. It just rolls along with such an innocent request in the lyrics and a melody that catches your ear-and a little sweet thread of a soul.

That is what I miss in most of today's music.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/13 at 2:54 pm

I am one of the oldest here, and there is a lot of contemporary music that I like.  There is so much to choose from, if you don't limit yourself you will always find some good in most genres.

Written By: ninny on 04/12/13 at 3:05 pm

Today's music...isn't music. :(

I'd rather be stuck on public transit hearing a baby cry for 5 minutes instead of hearing most of the stuff in the top 40 over the last few years.

I agree today's music has no feeling to it, give me the good old 60's & 70's music anytime. There are very few exceptions to this in today's music.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/13 at 7:16 pm

Today's music...isn't music

It's what we call... CRAP!  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/12/13 at 7:18 pm

I agree today's music has no feeling to it, give me the good old 60's & 70's music anytime. There are very few exceptions to this in today's music.

back then you had "good feeling" type of music, that's what I miss about yesteryear.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/25/13 at 7:04 pm

I think the only good thing I can say about having is that tinitus is that having permanent ringing makes current music somewhat tolerable.  I just ignore the music playing and concentrate to that in my head instead.

RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

Sounds better then anything on current music radio stations I have heard.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/09/13 at 10:09 pm

Except for New Kids On The Block and the Backstreet Boys I don't like what's going on with music today.  :P

Written By: Howard on 05/10/13 at 6:34 am

Except for New Kids On The Block and the Backstreet Boys I don't like what's going on with music today.  :P

I agree Celeste, It's all noise. :P

Written By: RG1995 on 05/10/13 at 2:35 pm

I doubt anyone has listened to the top 3 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...