inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smartwatches

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/10/13 at 2:18 am

First there were smartphones, followed by tablet computers. Next hi-tech gadget: smartwatches.

Sony's smartwatch looks pretty cool, and I'm thinking about getting one:

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/

Of course Apple will join that market, and it will likely be named iWatch:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/iwatch-apple-secretly-developing-smart-1512119

Subject: Re: Smartwatches

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/10/13 at 3:34 am

One time, every gadget we use will be made of 'smartphone'  ::)

Written By: belmont22 on 01/10/13 at 4:39 am

They are cool, but honestly I think cell phones killed watches. Watches will always have their fans but I think most people prefer having their time in their pocket.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/13 at 7:51 am

They are cool, but honestly I think cell phones killed watches. Watches will always have their fans but I think most people prefer having their time in their pocket.

Because since cellphones have a clock there's no need to carry around a watch anymore.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/10/13 at 10:35 am

Sure, if you're Grover Cleveland.  ;D

I mean, if you're looking at it from a purely technological standpoint, then analog wristwatches have been obsolete for well over 30 years. Yet they remain popular to this day. Why? Because wristwatches have always been more then just devices to keep time. Many of them are also stylish fashion accessories for both men and women.

Having said that, I think the idea of a smartwatch is a brilliant one, and I think they may very well take off in the next couple years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/10/13 at 10:43 am

analog wristwatches have been obsolete for well over 30 years.

I prefer the analog ones well over the digital ones because I can read and interpret the time much faster when it's more visual. I certainly can read the 'digital time' easily, but analog is still more comfortable if you want a quick information about the time when just going by...

Written By: philbo on 01/10/13 at 10:56 am

What a "smartwatch" at that kind of size needs is a virtual display: something to trick the eye into thinking it's looking at something far more than a square inch.

I've not got (& don't want) a smartphone, mainly because switching to a display less than a tenth of the size of what I use most of the time (combined with slower performance and internet connection) doesn't feel like a step forward.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/10/13 at 11:30 am

What a "smartwatch" at that kind of size needs is a virtual display: something to trick the eye into thinking it's looking at something far more than a square inch.

I've not got (& don't want) a smartphone, mainly because switching to a display less than a tenth of the size of what I use most of the time (combined with slower performance and internet connection) doesn't feel like a step forward.

Oh but my Droid kicks ass!

Written By: Howard on 01/10/13 at 2:13 pm

I prefer the analog ones well over the digital ones because I can read and interpret the time much faster when it's more visual. I certainly can read the 'digital time' easily, but analog is still more comfortable if you want a quick information about the time when just going by...

I prefer liquid quartz.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/13 at 6:01 pm

Awesome.  Now I can have a smart watch that can communicate with my iPhone, iPad, laptop, desktop, and probably sync with my car radio.

I wonder if it can tell time? ???  ;D

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/10/13 at 6:27 pm

Actually the new smartphones out are quite fast

Written By: philbo on 01/11/13 at 7:45 am

Actually the new smartphones out are quite fast

Compared to the PC I'm working on at the moment?  No.

..and even if they were as quick, all a smartphone would be doing is replacing things I can already do with a device to do them that isn't as efficient: how many smartphones have an interface that would let me input at anything like the (well in excess of) 50 wpm I can type?  Even if raw processing power were there (and it's probably coming), interface constraints mean they are inefficient devices for anything I want to use a computer or telephone for.

Today's smartphones are cute gadgets, but at the moment there is nothing that can be done on a smartphone that can't be done better or more conveniently on something else.  Unless you absolutely have to have your email or football scores with you wherever you go (and I really, really don't want that).

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/11/13 at 11:44 am

Compared to the PC I'm working on at the moment?  No.

..and even if they were as quick, all a smartphone would be doing is replacing things I can already do with a device to do them that isn't as efficient: how many smartphones have an interface that would let me input at anything like the (well in excess of) 50 wpm I can type?  Even if raw processing power were there (and it's probably coming), interface constraints mean they are inefficient devices for anything I want to use a computer or telephone for.

Today's smartphones are cute gadgets, but at the moment there is nothing that can be done on a smartphone that can't be done better or more conveniently on something else.  Unless you absolutely have to have your email or football scores with you wherever you go (and I really, really don't want that).

not everyone need raw power  only power users. I myself use power  but I also use smartphones for checking things on the go

Written By: Howard on 01/11/13 at 7:48 pm

Awesome.  Now I can have a smart watch that can communicate with my iPhone, iPad, laptop, desktop, and probably sync with my car radio.

I wonder if it can tell time? ???  ;D

pretty sure it can.

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/13 at 8:44 pm

Phone watches?  They went out of style with Dick Tracy.

If they can make a phone that is built into my hand (not like Inspector Gadget, but like the Total Recall remake), then we're talkin'

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/12/13 at 6:56 pm

First there were smartphones, followed by tablet computers. Next hi-tech gadget: smartwatches.

Sony's smartwatch looks pretty cool, and I'm thinking about getting one:

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/

Of course Apple will join that market, and it will likely be named iWatch:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/iwatch-apple-secretly-developing-smart-1512119

Consider the Pebble. It doesn't try to do everything, and that's a feature, not a bug.  Developed as an indie/kickstarter project, it's also not locked in to any one vendor, the application software development kit is entirely free. It plays well with both iOS and Android.

The story of the Pebble from Kickstarter project to shipping product is one crazy ride,and although it didn't get done for Christmas, it did make CES, and it's shipping two weeks from now.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/13 at 7:16 pm

Phone watches?  They went out of style with Dick Tracy.

If they can make a phone that is built into my hand (not like Inspector Gadget, but like the Total Recall remake), then we're talkin'

What's wrong with a Dick Tracy phone?

Check for new replies or respond here...