inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the term "cell phone" die out?

Written By: belmont22 on 01/21/13 at 4:02 pm

I think it's somewhat erroneous to refer to modern day smartphones as "cell phones". Telephony is but one of the many "apps" a smartphone can perform, really they are more like communicators al la the Star Trek communicator.

I think the term "communicator" is more accurate in describing today's communications devices, merely calling it a "cell phone" is ignorant to the many other uses of smartphones.

Another reason I dislike the term "smartphone" is because as amazing as some of the things they can do are, they are still fundamentally every bit as stupid as an abacus or a Commodore 64. There's not any intelligence going on inside those microchips.

Subject: Re: Will the term "cell phone" die out?

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/13 at 8:15 pm

I like that song

Written By: Howard on 01/21/13 at 8:42 pm

cell phones will never die out.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/22/13 at 1:57 pm

cell phones will never die out.

i just say phone    i never use the term smartphone

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:44 am

i just say phone    i never use the term smartphone

what's the difference? cellphone or smartphone? they're both phones.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/23/13 at 10:20 am

Technically both feature "dumb" and smartphones are cellphones since they require power cells, but since the rise of the smartphone, "cellphone" implies that you don't have a smartphone since its less special. Hence the more generic "phone" covers everything. Of course "cellular phone" was more common in the early days of mobile phones (up until around the late '90s), but ultimately I feel that the smartphone is the final evolution of the original telephone as having multitask capability is essential, though perhaps the "smart computer" will eventually be the final electronic device that does everything: folds into a big screen for video and folds into a medium-sized screen for reading.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/23/13 at 10:48 am

Smartphones are smarter than cellphones, but a lot of apps lead to the opposite, when it comes to human's smartness.  ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/23/13 at 2:58 pm

It's amazing how long antequated terms for technology stick around. we still say "roll up" your car window, when virtually all windows now are power windows. We still talk about "tape" and "film" when what we mean, 90 percent of the time, is digital video.

So nah, I don't think the term "cell phone" will go away anytime soon. For one thing, there will still be land lines at businesses and offices for the indefinite future, even if they're starting to become a thing of the past in people's homes. So we'll still need to say "cell phone" to distinguish them. But even if we didn't, we're in the habit of calling them "cell phones" now...

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 7:11 pm

Smartphones are smarter than cellphones, but a lot of apps lead to the opposite, when it comes to human's smartness.  ;D

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/smartphones.jpg

Like these? ^

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/13 at 7:51 pm

The Apple iPhone is an expensive paperweight

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/13 at 8:00 pm

Technically both feature "dumb" and smartphones are cellphones since they require power cells,
'

They are both "cell" phones because each cellular phone tower is the center of a "cell" of coverage.

Smart phone or not... they are all cell phones because they are within a tower's "cell".

Written By: Howard on 01/24/13 at 7:17 am

I think people will continue to use the word "cell phone" for many years.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/24/13 at 10:19 am

The Apple iPhone is an expensive paperweight

and why you think this

Written By: belmont22 on 01/24/13 at 3:07 pm

'

They are both "cell" phones because each cellular phone tower is the center of a "cell" of coverage.

Smart phone or not... they are all cell phones because they are within a tower's "cell".

My point isn't that it's not cellular, my point is that a phone is just one of many things that our current devices are.

Written By: af2010 on 01/25/13 at 3:40 pm

I don't think people will ever say 'communicator', but I think the term 'cell phone' is already on the decline since most people just say phone now.  The term 'house phone' actually seems more common now, since cell phones have basically replaced them as the default 'phone'.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/25/13 at 5:12 pm

It's not even about the "phone" part anymore, because these are mobile computers. I just call them smartphones and mobile devices. I mean look at these new devices like the Galaxy Note 2 with a 5.5 inch screen, this is a handheld computer, the phone is an afterthought and hell it looks weird making a call on such a large device. I wonder how big these screens will keep getting. Tablets and smartphones are like merging now it's kinda funny. I remember when I had the original iPhone back in 2007 I thought that 3.5 inch screen was so massive, now I saw an iPhone 4S in the store and it looks like microscopic now ROFL.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/25/13 at 8:02 pm

I don't think people will ever say 'communicator', but I think the term 'cell phone' is already on the decline since most people just say phone now.  The term 'house phone' actually seems more common now, since cell phones have basically replaced them as the default 'phone'.

I thought "house phone" was more of a 70's, 80's word?

Written By: kairosan on 01/26/13 at 10:04 am

If you ask me, cell phones are becoming a thing of the pass now. 2013 may be the last real year for the actual cell phone being that device everyone uses.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/13 at 7:50 pm

If you ask me, cell phones are becoming a thing of the pass now. 2013 may be the last real year for the actual cell phone being that device everyone uses.

So what do they use now? smartphones and blackberries?  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/13 at 3:55 pm

I don't see why it should die out if smartphone's are also used for talking and texting.

Written By: Bobby on 02/02/13 at 6:07 pm

I have never used the term 'cell phone' coming from England. We use the term 'mobile phone'.

I have used the term 'smartphone' if I am differentiating what it does with a standard phone.

But usually I call it a 'mobile phone'. 

Thank you.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/02/13 at 7:34 pm

But the term "telephone" will never die out.

Check for new replies or respond here...