inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will the electro pop fad in music end?

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 01/29/13 at 10:34 pm

Seriously, all the pop stars are switching to techno/electro pop music. Black Eyed Peas used to be club hip hop but switched in 2008 with "Imma Be", Usher used to be R&B with a hip-hop feel, but he switched in 2010 with "OMG", Chris Brown used to be R&B but switched in 2008 with "Forever", Britney Spears used to be teen pop but switched in 2007 with "Gimme More". Everyone is switching to the same synth-driven beats. When is this fad going to end and we get regular sounding music back? I miss the early 00's when hit music was mainstream hip-hop and R&B. I know some of you are older and might like even older stuff, but that's what I miss. So what do you guys think about the electro pop fad of the 2010's?

Subject: Re: When will the electro pop fad in music end?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/30/13 at 2:04 pm

this thread has been done 2 death

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 01/30/13 at 3:00 pm

this thread has been done 2 death

What do you mean? Has this been posted here before?

Written By: kairosan on 01/30/13 at 3:45 pm

The electric music and dubset era is here to stay for a few more years. The stuff you hear now is the catalyst of the 2010's music scene...Dark, but colorful music (A$AP ) But pop music will have a dark death but deb-set spacey feel....It will signify that we aren't in the 2000's ANYMORE :o

Written By: Slim95 on 01/30/13 at 8:01 pm

Technically, the electro pop fad should end this year if in 2013 things are supposed to change and the music of the 2010's really start to show. I hope it does change because I'm sick of the same mainstream music for the last 5 years.  I agree, I miss the Hip Hop culture and music from earlier in the 2000's. Autotune is getting really annoying and overplayed. But Justin Timberlake's new song is a hint that music may be changing and we may finally get rid of the electro pop fad in music this year.

Written By: af2010 on 01/30/13 at 10:14 pm

There's no set date for when it will end, but hopefully soon.  Most mainstream music trends last around 5 years or so before a backlash kicks in, so it could very well be within the next year.  I don't necessarily want a revival of earlier trends, but I would like less electronic influence.

Written By: Jquar on 01/31/13 at 5:18 am

I think the big electronic influence in pop music will continue for many years to come. The electropop dominance on the Top 40 charts will probably start to noticeably wane  though, at least by the middle to end part of the decade.  I can't wait for some of that stuff to start sounding dated.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/31/13 at 8:05 am

Didn't this just become mainstream within the last two years? I don't even remember it being that big before 2010 or 2011. I think it's going to be around for a whlle.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/13 at 9:20 am

Didn't this just become mainstream within the last two years? I don't even remember it being that big before 2010 or 2011. I think it's going to be around for a whlle.

It started around 2008

Written By: RG1995 on 01/31/13 at 1:46 pm

The definitive moment was when Just Dance hit #1 in January 2009. I think that's a good starting place for when electropop took over. I hate to break it to R&B fans, but Timberlake's song fell down fast after the hype. Went from #4 to #13.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/13 at 1:54 pm

Yeah looks like the 2010's will be known as the electro pop decade unfortunately. :(

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/31/13 at 2:04 pm

The definitive moment was when Just Dance hit #1 in January 2009. I think that's a good starting place for when electropop took over. I hate to break it to R&B fans, but Timberlake's song fell down fast after the hype. Went from #4 to #13.

nope late 2008

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/31/13 at 2:04 pm

i knw im mad  JT fell so fast

Written By: Emman on 01/31/13 at 2:13 pm

I think electropop is a misnomer, what it should really be called is EDM, I personally call it euro-R&B too. But what is popular is just a big wave of dance styles like electro-house, dubstep, progressive trance, ect. There have been only a very few hit singles that actually have the original '80s type synths and drum machine sounds(like Bulletproof). The actual style of electronic music that seems to be gaining momentum is dubstep, also there is starting to be more variety on the pop charts than there was 3 years ago.

I guess it could be called electropop to distinguish it from '80s synthpop though.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/31/13 at 2:40 pm

I think electropop is a misnomer, what it should really be called is EDM, I personally call it euro-R&B too. But what is popular is just a big wave of dance styles like electro-house, dubstep, progressive trance, ect. There have been only a very few hit singles that actually have the original '80s type synths and drum machine sounds(like Bulletproof). The actual style of electronic music that seems to be gaining momentum is dubstep, also there is starting to be more variety on the pop charts than there was 3 years ago.

I guess it could be called electropop to distinguish it from '80s synthpop though.

The 80s synth dancepop sound has evolved from house to edm

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/13 at 2:47 pm

If there is any change in mainstream music that's happening all  I see is electro pop is becoming a little slower and less dance-like (slower like Rihanna's and Katy Perry's latest songs) but there is still a lot of autotune in it.

Written By: Emman on 01/31/13 at 2:47 pm

The 80s synth dancepop sound has evolved from house to edm

There is no "house evolved from edm" because house is apart of edm, edm stands for electronic dance music, it was first used in the '00s to describe the various styles of dance music(like house, trance, techno, ect).

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/31/13 at 2:49 pm

There is no "house evolved from edm" because house is apart of edm, edm stands for electronic dance music, it was first used in the '00s to describe the various styles of dance music(like house, trance, techno, ect).

The Dance era went from

80s synth electro pop  (la roux)    to  House drived eurodance  (guetta)    to      EDM (dubstep and more harder breakdowns) (zedd)

house as in house like samples

Written By: RG1995 on 01/31/13 at 4:50 pm

nope late 2008
Woah. A difference of a few weeks!

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/13 at 8:54 pm

I just took a dump

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 01/31/13 at 11:54 pm

Yeah, I feel like it will go away after a few years. But seriously, there are only a few styles of music on the charts now. There's electro pop (like LMFAO, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha), there's that indie folk genre or whatever it's called (like Adele, Gotye, Fun.), and there's swag skinny jean-wearing hip hop (like Big Sean, Kanye West, Lil Wayne). Back in the early 2000's and before, while there was a lot more hip hop from the likes of 50 Cent, Jay Z, Ludacris, etc. topping the charts, BUT it was still more diverse than the 3 genre's of today.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/01/13 at 12:07 am

Yeah, I feel like it will go away after a few years. But seriously, there are only a few styles of music on the charts now. There's electro pop (like LMFAO, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha), there's that indie folk genre or whatever it's called (like Adele, Gotye, Fun.), and there's swag skinny jean-wearing hip hop (like Big Sean, Kanye West, Lil Wayne). Back in the early 2000's and before, while there was a lot more hip hop from the likes of 50 Cent, Jay Z, Ludacris, etc. topping the charts, it was still more diverse than the 3 genre's of today.

What about Country?  ???

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/01/13 at 2:18 am

Woah. A difference of a few weeks!

On this forum it really matters. Besides, I thought it began in 2006 since that is when everyone else on this forum agrees that its the year everything changed.

Written By: Paul on 02/01/13 at 4:01 am

I just took a dump

Only thing worth doing when crap like this is flooding the boards... ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/01/13 at 6:49 am

What's the difference between the two?  ???

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/01/13 at 10:02 am

On this forum it really matters. Besides, I thought it began in 2006 since that is when everyone else on this forum agrees that its the year everything changed.

it was 2006

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/13 at 10:57 am

I'm not really a fan, but I think he waited too long. I mean his last song was what? 2007? The music industry is fickle, especially today, you wait too long people 'forget' you. And too be honest his song isn't that great, it's good, but nothing special.

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 02/01/13 at 12:35 pm

Only thing worth doing when crap like this is flooding the boards... ::)

Explain why this is crap.

Written By: Emman on 02/01/13 at 1:52 pm

Explain why this is crap.

Apparently some members on the forum don't like other members discussing pop culture on a pop culture forum, go figure.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/01/13 at 2:52 pm

it was 2006

You just said late 2008 though.....

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/01/13 at 5:02 pm

You just said late 2008 though.....

i said 2006  is when it started

late 2008 is when it became a trend

Written By: Howard on 02/01/13 at 7:40 pm

Apparently some members on the forum don't like other members discussing pop culture on a pop culture forum, go figure.

I don't mind sometimes.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/02/13 at 3:09 pm

It started in 2009 so its not a new fad by any means.  I say it will stick around at least a few more years.  The thing is, I am not sure right now what will replace it.  We had the age of jazz, then rock, then pop, then rap, and now electro.  Maybe a jazz revival is in order? 

Written By: bchris02 on 02/02/13 at 3:12 pm

To all who says the electro fad started in 2006, I STRONGLY disagree with you there.  At least where I lived, it was still considered "gay" to like electro in 2006.  For most people it was either hip-hop or emo rock.  It wasn't until 2008 it became somewhat acceptable to like dance music and it became the norm in 2009.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/13 at 3:51 pm

It started in 2009 so its not a new fad by any means.  I say it will stick around at least a few more years.  The thing is, I am not sure right now what will replace it.  We had the age of jazz, then rock, then pop, then rap, and now electro.  Maybe a jazz revival is in order?

I think a new style will come out. Or something from other countries like Japan that's fairly new like english robotic Vocaloid holograms in the future as a music fad. I never thought autotune would become this popular so I think it's a big possibility. I think this will happen after the electro pop era so maybe around the late 10's/early 20's.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/02/13 at 5:37 pm

Wait, rock, "pop", and rap aren't popular? 6/10 of the Billboard Top 10 aren't electro.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/02/13 at 6:35 pm

To all who says the electro fad started in 2006, I STRONGLY disagree with you there.  At least where I lived, it was still considered "gay" to like electro in 2006.  For most people it was either hip-hop or emo rock.  It wasn't until 2008 it became somewhat acceptable to like dance music and it became the norm in 2009.

well 2006 says otherwise!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1BXF7bVpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6QDNC4jPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3vgcE5i2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLolag3YSYU

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/13 at 8:44 pm

well 2006 says otherwise!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1BXF7bVpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6QDNC4jPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3vgcE5i2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLolag3YSYU

Those songs have electronic dance elements to them but none of them are real electro pop that we hear today. You might as well say 90's dance is electro pop too if you use those examples. They don't have the electronic dubstep elements and autotune in the songs like we hear today which really started in late 2008 with Just Dance by Lady Gaga and some other songs by other artists around that year.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/13 at 8:48 pm

What's the difference between the two?  ???

I'm pretty sure the main difference is electro pop has autotune and synth pop does not. (As autotune wasn't even invented back in the 80's.)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/03/13 at 3:18 pm

Those songs have electronic dance elements to them but none of them are real electro pop that we hear today. You might as well say 90's dance is electro pop too if you use those examples. They don't have the electronic dubstep elements and autotune in the songs like we hear today which really started in late 2008 with Just Dance by Lady Gaga and some other songs by other artists around that year.

....................................... its the same thing

Check for new replies or respond here...