inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PlayStation 4.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 12:07 pm

Sony had announced on Feb 20th the next generation of Playstation will be shown to the world.
It is expected the ps4 will be shown to the public a mere months before xbox 720 is set to  debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U

Subject: Re: PlayStation 4 debuts Feb 20th

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/06/13 at 5:09 pm

Sony had announced on Feb 20th the next generation of Playstation will be shown to the world.
It is expected the ps4 will be shown to the public a mere months before xbox 720 is set to  debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U

Do you know any more about it?

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/13 at 5:10 pm

This is an interesting state of affairs. It seems Playstation is learning from it's previous mistake by trying to pip Xbox to the post in the run up to Christmas 2013. I thought Xbox would continue the trend of being ahead of the game. Maybe it's just Playstation firing the first shot...

This time I am sure it will be an even playing field as both consoles will feature Blu Ray drives though I think the Kinnect will win out over Playstation's alternative if they keep a steady stream of quality games going for it. Since Nintendo's R.O.B and the light gun, the same pattern has continued. A console company will release a gimmick peripheral and then put little time into making software to use it.

Let the race commence!  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/06/13 at 5:25 pm

I'm still perfectly happy with my PS3, it plays Blue-Rays and streams Netflix and I still really enjoy the games I have for it. I wonder what kinds of features the PS4 will have that will make me feel like I just "gotta have it."

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 6:56 pm

This is an interesting state of affairs. It seems Playstation is learning from it's previous mistake by trying to pip Xbox to the post in the run up to Christmas 2013. I thought Xbox would continue the trend of being ahead of the game. Maybe it's just Playstation firing the first shot...

This time I am sure it will be an even playing field as both consoles will feature Blu Ray drives though I think the Kinnect will win out over Playstation's alternative if they keep a steady stream of quality games going for it. Since Nintendo's R.O.B and the light gun, the same pattern has continued. A console company will release a gimmick peripheral and then put little time into making software to use it.

Let the race commence!  8)

Its funny its not that xbox 360  was the better  system but rather than  xbox 360 getting a head start  & ps3 costing 700 dollars when it came out lol  Ps3 didnt get big til like  2009 with the slim  so they shot themselves in the foot    also with ps vita  they are loosing money.        Sony better not screw up with the ps4. 

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 6:57 pm

Do you know any more about it?

10 X more  powerfull than  ps3
Will be debuting with a Racing game
Better online to rival xbox live
They hired a whole new  ad team
The dual shock will be retired

This is all confirmed by  ign

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/13 at 7:22 pm

I don't want a PS4.  PS3 does all I need.  How much better can graphics get before it will look just like real life?

I don't want to play a game that looks like real life

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/13 at 7:31 pm

I've never had a ps or xbox.

I think I'll hold out for a ps5, or xbox 1440.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/13 at 7:33 pm

I'm still perfectly happy with my PS3, it plays Blue-Rays and streams Netflix and I still really enjoy the games I have for it. I wonder what kinds of features the PS4 will have that will make me feel like I just "gotta have it."

Me Too Al, I like my PS3 I can watch free movies from Crackle, watch television shows, download games and purchase wrestling characters for my WWE 12 game but I'm thinking about Netflix, maybe I'll download it in the future.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/13 at 7:34 pm

I don't want a PS4.  PS3 does all I need.  How much better can graphics get before it will look just like real life?

Does yours have Crackle?  ???

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 7:34 pm

Me Too Al, I like my PS3 I can watch free movies from Crackle, watch television shows, download games and purchase wrestling characters for my WWE 12 game but I'm thinking about Netflix, maybe I'll download it in the future.

Hulu plus  it has tv shows the day after they air

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/13 at 7:35 pm

Does yours have Crackle?  ???

Yep

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 7:36 pm

ps3  & xbox 360 graphics are ok, not like mind blowing

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 7:36 pm

Yep

I use Crackle myself as well as
Hulu plus

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/13 at 7:38 pm

::)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 7:54 pm

I've never had a ps or xbox.

I think I'll hold out for a ps5, or xbox 1440.

dont tell me ur wii

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/13 at 7:59 pm

Its funny its not that xbox 360  was the better  system but rather than  xbox 360 getting a head start  & ps3 costing 700 dollars when it came out lol  Ps3 didnt get big til like  2009 with the slim  so they shot themselves in the foot    also with ps vita  they are loosing money.        Sony better not screw up with the ps4.

Yes, I alluded to that in my post. Strangely, the non-use of blu ray worked in Xbox's favour really because they were very expensive to fit into the console at the time, hence the original price of the PS3 when it first came out. The Xbox will be able to place Blu Ray drives in their next generation consoles now they are more mainstream and have come down in price over the last couple of years.

The time delay definitely messed up the PS3 though it kind of caught up somewhat towards the end. Free internet is a definite plus that Xbox360 hasn't given gamers but then we did get the PS3 information security fiasco a while back that could have caused unknown damage to consumer confidence in their products.

Wait until you've seen the console in action first before you decide you do or don't want it. With that attitude you would still be stuck with the NES because the Megadrive is too advanced, lol. It's not just about how realistic it looks but how the consoles deal with AI and different experiences we haven't dealt with in gaming yet. The 'engine' seems to have been a theme for the current generation consoles, who knows what they'll come up with next to give us a better overall gaming experience in the future.

Of course, it stands to reason that it is wise to keep hold of your current console until the new generation consoles comes down in price and, at least, has more than a handful of games at their disposal.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 8:04 pm

::)

;)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/06/13 at 8:07 pm

Yes, I alluded to that in my post. Strangely, the non-use of blu ray worked in Xbox's favour really because they were very expensive to fit into the console at the time, hence the original price of the PS3 when it first came out. The Xbox will be able to place Blu Ray drives in their next generation consoles now they are more mainstream and have come down in price over the last couple of years.

The time delay definitely messed up the PS3 though it kind of caught up somewhat towards the end. Free internet is a definite plus that Xbox360 hasn't given gamers but then we did get the PS3 information security fiasco a while back that could have caused unknown damage to consumer confidence in their products.

Wait until you've seen the console in action first before you decide you do or don't want it. With that attitude you would still be stuck with the NES because the Megadrive is too advanced, lol. It's not just about how realistic it looks but how the consoles deal with AI and different experiences we haven't dealt with in gaming yet. The 'engine' seems to have been a theme for the current generation consoles, who knows what they'll come up with next to give us a better overall gaming experience in the future.

Of course, it stands to reason that it is wise to keep hold of your current console until the new generation consoles comes down in price and, at least, has more than a handful of games at their disposal.

yeah the wii won this current gen with 360 behind it, Sony has alot of work 2 do!  They cant go beyond blue ray tho its a standard lol

Written By: Howard on 02/06/13 at 8:35 pm

Yep

I love Crackle.

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/13 at 6:18 pm

yeah the wii won this current gen with 360 behind it, Sony has alot of work 2 do!  They cant go beyond blue ray tho its a standard lol

The Wii did very well considering it should have been well and truly kicked in by the big two. Wii's marketing strategy was very clever in that the cost of the console was cheap, their games were cheap to make and they were still involved in the lucrative 'kids market' that Xbox360 and PS3 are moving away from. Of course, Nintendo's biggest weapon was the peripheral market where they tried to change the way we play games rather than improve on the way they look to some degree. Nintendo were gaining as much from the peripheral side of things as the console selling. The Xbox360 and PS3 cottoned on to the movement too late really though Xbox360 really took it to the next level and, I'm sure, will make it part of the next generation inventory.

This is it about the PS3, they can't go any bigger than Blu Ray for the time being and Xbox360 are commercially catching up at the right time.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/13 at 6:37 pm

The Wii did very well considering it should have been well and truly kicked in by the big two. Wii's marketing strategy was very clever in that the cost of the console was cheap, their games were cheap to make and they were still involved in the lucrative 'kids market' that Xbox360 and PS3 are moving away from. Of course, Nintendo's biggest weapon was the peripheral market where they tried to change the way we play games rather than improve on the way they look to some degree. Nintendo were gaining as much from the peripheral side of things as the console selling. The Xbox360 and PS3 cottoned on to the movement too late really though Xbox360 really took it to the next level and, I'm sure, will make it part of the next generation inventory.

This is it about the PS3, they can't go any bigger than Blu Ray for the time being and Xbox360 are commercially catching up at the right time.

The ingenious thing about the Wii is that it had a much broader appeal than either the PS3 or the Xbox360 because its controls are so much simpler and intuitive.

If my 70-something parents were over at my place and I put Black Ops 2 into my PS3 and handed them the controller, they'd just look at me blankly. However, if I had a Wii and put in a bowling game they'd probably kick my ass at it.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/13 at 6:48 pm

The ingenious thing about the Wii is that it had a much broader appeal than either the PS3 or the Xbox360 because its controls are so much simpler and intuitive.

If my 70-something parents were over at my place and I put Black Ops 2 into my PS3 and handed them the controller, they'd just look at me blankly. However, if I had a Wii and put in a bowling game they'd probably kick my ass at it.  ;D

You make a good point, Al.

I got my arse handed to me playing Wii Bowling with my little niece a week ago and you know the worst thing about it? She made it look so easy...  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/13 at 7:45 pm

The one downfall with the Wii was that the games that used realism like Call of Duty, looked like PS2 graphics. 

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/08/13 at 12:16 pm

The one downfall with the Wii was that the games that used realism like Call of Duty, looked like PS2 graphics.

did u know  gamecube was suppose to come out with a motion controller  but instead of making a new gamecube    nintendo  just made the wii and branded it as a new  game system.   

#TRUEFACTS

Written By: Bobby on 02/08/13 at 6:19 pm

I don't think the Wii was meant to be anything more than it was. People knew that they weren't getting the same type of thing as an Xbox360 or a PS3.

The only thing that puzzles me is why Nintendo decided to release the Wii U at this stage.

Written By: Tam on 02/09/13 at 12:50 am

I don't think the Wii was meant to be anything more than it was. People knew that they weren't getting the same type of thing as an Xbox360 or a PS3.

The only thing that puzzles me is why Nintendo decided to release the Wii U at this stage.

Nintendo had to do something... they took a huge loss on the 3DS and their sales of games were plummeting with the Wii. They were in financial dire straits and actually kind of still are.

If you think about it, a big problem they have is that the Wii was made to be family friendly and Nintendo limited the titles available for the system. The remote concept and getting your butt up off the couch was early in it's time, which was amazing, but xBox blew both PS3 and Wii out of the water with Kinect.

I was at gamestop tonight and I asked if the New Super Mario U was going to be released for the regular Wii platform... Nope. In the next couple of months only a handful of games are going to be brought to the market for the original Wii - then they are going to discontinue it. Of course, the Wii U is backwards compatible so you can still play your original Wii games on it, with restrictions of course.

Furthermore, Wii is already starting to stop supporting the original Wii marketplace. Soon there will be no more added downloads to the marketplace, no more apps to add to your main screen and the ones you have, have already started to lose their functionality. Have the Wii and you downloaded a bunch of retro games? Guess what? They won't transfer to the Wii U. Thinking about trading in your Wii? In the US it will get you $30 from gamestop as of today.

The main reason I know this is because I want the Star Wars xBox 360 and so when I found out about the Wii being discontinued, I started asking the price of the platform and games titles for trade-in value. Not much. My best bet is to put everything I have on ebay and pray I get a decent price for it. The only other bonus for me is that I have the first release of Super Mario Bros. 20th Anniversary game - which trade in will get me $25 or on ebay I might be lucky to get $150 from a die hard collector.

But I digress...

Nintendo is in the red. They are not making a profit and they had to do something to try and get back in the blue.
They haven't succeeded... yet.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/13 at 6:44 am

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PlayStation-4-Controller-Mockeup.jpg

And this is the controller for The Playstation 4.

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/13 at 7:25 am

The real issue I had with the Wii was alot of the games being released looked like games for 5 year olds.  There wasn't enough regular games, the kind of games that Game Cube used to release on par with PS2 and Original Xbox.  Plus, those stupid Mii characters look like people with birth defects.  I once bought 'Price is Right: Decades' for the Wii, but those Mii characters made the game look so bad, that I sold the game, and re-purchased it on Xbox 360. 

The Kinect is cool, but you know how you see commercials for it on TV where the people playing it have a living room the size of a warehouse?  You need ALOT of space to play it.  I have a Kinect and no space to play it.  However, that space I do have works perfectly on Playstation Move.  I prefer PS Move because I like to be able to hold a controller. 

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/09/13 at 11:33 am

Same here, I just got my PS3 last Christmas (soildered on with my old PS2 for years).

From what I have read, yes the PS4 its 10 x more powerful, but other than that not much more than it already does.

Only way I'd get it is if it was backward compatible and played PS2, 3 and PS1 games...but you can already play PS2 & PS1 games online with the PS3 so, what the point?

A new racing game and more power ain't gonna free any more $$ from me to Sony, not this time brother... :P

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/09/13 at 12:27 pm

Nintendo had to do something... they took a huge loss on the 3DS and their sales of games were plummeting with the Wii. They were in financial dire straits and actually kind of still are.

If you think about it, a big problem they have is that the Wii was made to be family friendly and Nintendo limited the titles available for the system. The remote concept and getting your butt up off the couch was early in it's time, which was amazing, but xBox blew both PS3 and Wii out of the water with Kinect.

I was at gamestop tonight and I asked if the New Super Mario U was going to be released for the regular Wii platform... Nope. In the next couple of months only a handful of games are going to be brought to the market for the original Wii - then they are going to discontinue it. Of course, the Wii U is backwards compatible so you can still play your original Wii games on it, with restrictions of course.

Furthermore, Wii is already starting to stop supporting the original Wii marketplace. Soon there will be no more added downloads to the marketplace, no more apps to add to your main screen and the ones you have, have already started to lose their functionality. Have the Wii and you downloaded a bunch of retro games? Guess what? They won't transfer to the Wii U. Thinking about trading in your Wii? In the US it will get you $30 from gamestop as of today.

The main reason I know this is because I want the Star Wars xBox 360 and so when I found out about the Wii being discontinued, I started asking the price of the platform and games titles for trade-in value. Not much. My best bet is to put everything I have on ebay and pray I get a decent price for it. The only other bonus for me is that I have the first release of Super Mario Bros. 20th Anniversary game - which trade in will get me $25 or on ebay I might be lucky to get $150 from a die hard collector.

But I digress...

Nintendo is in the red. They are not making a profit and they had to do something to try and get back in the blue.

For me its like Nintendo was amazing with Snes  that was powerhouse system,  Then  n64 came and I was so taking aback by it  I hardly even used it because  I played Playstation,  Then  Gamecube comes out and im like what is this........... This is horrible            Nintendo has  a habit of disappointing me. The Wii u is already a flop,  The fact that the ps4 is coming    is going to make the wii u an afterthought. Wii U was suppose to make up for the hardcore gamers the company lost.  The thing is 3rd party publishers don't even wanna touch this thing.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/13 at 1:56 pm

Only way I'd get it is if it was backward compatible and played PS2, 3 and PS1 games...but you can already play PS2 & PS1 games online with the PS3 so, what the point?

They tried making the games for The PS2 compatible for The PS3 but I guess it didn't work.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/09/13 at 2:21 pm

They tried making the games for The PS2 compatible for The PS3 but I guess it didn't work.

the first ps3    had it tho

in the new slim ps3's  they cut off ps2 support

Written By: Howard on 02/09/13 at 2:48 pm

the first ps3    had it tho

in the new slim ps3's  they cut off ps2 support

what about the bulky PS3?

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/09/13 at 3:53 pm

what about the bulky PS3?

no

Written By: Bobby on 02/09/13 at 4:17 pm

But I digress...

I'm quite surprised Nintendo are in that financial situation, Tam, especially the legendary standing they have and the relative success with the Wii. I didn't realise they were abandoning the Wii so quickly, especially since PS3 were still making PS2 games for some time after the console change.

I don't understand the gaming industry because they are all supposed to be feeling the pinch and software companies are reducing staff/going bankrupt. I thought it was a fairly lucrative business.

Written By: Tam on 02/09/13 at 7:25 pm

The real issue I had with the Wii was alot of the games being released looked like games for 5 year olds.  There wasn't enough regular games, the kind of games that Game Cube used to release on par with PS2 and Original Xbox. 

And that is what I said about the Wii being family friendly.
They only released games that were suitable for all ages.

Written By: Tam on 02/09/13 at 7:28 pm

Wii U was suppose to make up for the hardcore gamers the company lost.  The thing is 3rd party publishers don't even wanna touch this thing.

It isn't the third party publishers... again, it is Nintendo.
They are selective in what they want for their platform.
It is family friendly and they want their games to be played by all ages - not just the hardcore gamers who sit in their parent's basements eating ho-ho's and drink coke and mountain dew by the 2-litres!

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/13 at 8:02 pm

I almost bought a Wii U tonight, but the selection of games is slim, so I think I will hold off.  I may wait and see what the next line of games they release will bring.  They do have titles like:  Assassins Creed 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3, which are games in a series you never saw on the Wii, but if they start putting out more kiddie games like "Cutesy Wootsie and the magic kingdom" or something dumb like that, then I think I will just stick with PS3 and Xbox and write-off Nintendo home consoles altogether.

I have an original Wii and like 40 games for it, but I never play it

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/09/13 at 10:43 pm

It isn't the third party publishers... again, it is Nintendo.
They are selective in what they want for their platform.
It is family friendly and they want their games to be played by all ages - not just the hardcore gamers who sit in their parent's basements eating ho-ho's and drink coke and mountain dew by the 2-litres!

Thats true for the wii ,  but the wii U is going for a hardcore demographic, Many 3rd party developers said they do not wanna develop for the  wii u due to having to accommodate wii pad

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/09/13 at 10:44 pm

I almost bought a Wii U tonight, but the selection of games is slim, so I think I will hold off.  I may wait and see what the next line of games they release will bring.  They do have titles like:  Assassins Creed 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3, which are games in a series you never saw on the Wii, but if they start putting out more kiddie games like "Cutesy Wootsie and the magic kingdom" or something dumb like that, then I think I will just stick with PS3 and Xbox and write-off Nintendo home consoles altogether.

Wii U  is the Sega Saturn of the 2010s        do not buy a Wii u

Written By: Tam on 02/10/13 at 12:57 am

I'm quite surprised Nintendo are in that financial situation, Tam, especially the legendary standing they have and the relative success with the Wii. I didn't realise they were abandoning the Wii so quickly, especially since PS3 were still making PS2 games for some time after the console change.

I don't understand the gaming industry because they are all supposed to be feeling the pinch and software companies are reducing staff/going bankrupt. I thought it was a fairly lucrative business.

It is true. With shares closing at just under $12, it took a loss of $0.01 per share at it's last close.
They anticipated 4+ million units sold, however they have just barely surpassed 3 million, and they might not be able to recover from the loss.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/is-the-wii-u-game-onslaught-too-little-too-late-cm215764#.URdC1R1EF8F

All of the big name games that were supposed to draw cunsumers in... have yet to be released. And they probably won't start to be released until the 3rd quarter of the year - if Nintendo is lucky. Third party titles - Nintendo calls all the shots. Some of the bigger titles have made it already, Call of Duty for ex., however Nintendo limits what can be put in their family friendly games and they own the copyright on the portable home handheld, so they get the game from developers... and then change it to suit their needs.

This is the close for Nintendo on NASDAQ
http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ntdoy

Across the top you can compare it to large shareholding companies.
Sadly, facebook shares are worth more than even Nintendo.

Written By: Inertia on 02/10/13 at 5:38 am

I appreciate actual game-play more than graphics. I will play an 8-Bit game if it is fun.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/13 at 6:39 am

no

you can only play disks on The PS3.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/12/13 at 6:57 am

I use Crackle myself as well as
Hulu plus

What's the difference and which is better? Unfortunately I can't use them on my PS3 because 1. I don't have wi-fi in my house, and 2. They only work in the States. I also have both apps on my Xperia Tablet, which won't work until I get back Stateside.

I'm not planning to buy a Wii U anytime soon, but maybe when they release a new Super Mario platform game (not the game titled "New Super Mario Bros." that is side-scrolling) and a new Zelda game (not the Windwaker remake), I'll think about getting one.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/13 at 7:20 pm

What's the difference and which is better? Unfortunately I can't use them on my PS3 because 1. I don't have wi-fi in my house, and 2. They only work in the States. I also have both apps on my Xperia Tablet, which won't work until I get back Stateside.

Crackle has free movies and retro tv shows like Sanford And Son, Seinfeld and Married With Children to name a few.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/14/13 at 5:04 pm

ps4 controller now up

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/02/ps4controller620x340dtoid.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 6:32 am

ps4 controller now up

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/02/ps4controller620x340dtoid.jpg

It looks nicer than the PS3 controller.

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/15/13 at 2:16 pm

Dern, me and my PS3 are still getting to know each other. Not ready to retire it yet.

Plus I'm running out of room on my wall unit.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 7:21 pm

Dern, me and my PS3 are still getting to know each other. Not ready to retire it yet.

Plus I'm running out of room on my wall unit.

I love my PS3 too, I get to watch free films and tv shows from Crackle whenever I have some time to myself, It's great.

Written By: captainEO on 02/16/13 at 12:30 pm

It's actually getting quite exciting. Just 3 days left!

They've actually posted an 'Evolution of PlayStation' video on YouTube, check it out!
U7w5i_YCFmQ

I love Sony's confidence too, it's like they know they've got something killer on their hands.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/13 at 7:11 pm

It's actually getting quite exciting. Just 3 days left!

They've actually posted an 'Evolution of PlayStation' video on YouTube, check it out!
U7w5i_YCFmQ

I love Sony's confidence too, it's like they know they've got something killer on their hands.

Wow I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since Playstation debuted. :o

Written By: captainEO on 02/17/13 at 2:54 pm

Wow I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since Playstation debuted. :o

Yeah. It's been quite a long time, it's funny to think about.

They posted another vid today but for the PS2. I think it's a steady build up to the PS4 reveal.
Hvcps5dFzfc

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/17/13 at 3:00 pm

I really hope  playstation 4  returns to the roots of  ps2.  Ps2 was a mega machine.  The whole marketing campaign of ps2 was  amazing.    Sony really screwed up with Marcus psp ads and the Sony it can do everything ads.    Ps4  needs to be  what ps2 was  and what made ps3 great.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/13 at 7:44 am

I really hope  playstation 4  returns to the roots of  ps2.  Ps2 was a mega machine.  The whole marketing campaign of ps2 was  amazing.    Sony really screwed up with Marcus psp ads and the Sony it can do everything ads.    Ps4  needs to be  what ps2 was  and what made ps3 great.

The PS2 was too damn skinny, it was like a small little notebook, much too fragile, kept tripping over the wires sometimes and almost breaking it. PS3 is greater it has what I need.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/18/13 at 5:00 pm

The PS2 was too damn skinny, it was like a small little notebook, much too fragile, kept tripping over the wires sometimes and almost breaking it. PS3 is greater it has what I need.

the 2005 ps2 was,  do u mean ps2 slim?  regular ps2 was quite big

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/13 at 6:47 pm

The PS3 is larger and has the same amount of wires, if not more depending on if you have the Move. 

Written By: Howard on 02/18/13 at 7:23 pm

the 2005 ps2 was,  do u mean ps2 slim?  regular ps2 was quite big

The PS2 slim, kept having problems over the years with it, it was a piece of junk and glad to have traded it in for a PS3 to Gamestop, didn't get much for it though, only a 15 dollar credit.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/13 at 7:23 pm

The PS3 is larger and has the same amount of wires, if not more depending on if you have the Move.

what's The Move? ???

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/13 at 9:37 pm

what's The Move? ???

Add on for PS3 where you use a motion controller and the Playstation Eye to interact on certain games

Written By: Howard on 02/19/13 at 6:34 am

Add on for PS3 where you use a motion controller and the Playstation Eye to interact on certain games

I might have to look for that one.

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/13 at 9:02 pm

I might have to look for that one.

It's worth it.  With The Move, you can get the Sharpshooter controller for many 3rd person shooter games and they recently released a steering wheel, so you can now play several games like 'Burnout: Paradise' and 'Need for Speed: Most Wanted' like you're actually driving a car. 

Written By: Howard on 02/20/13 at 6:53 am

It's worth it.  With The Move, you can get the Sharpshooter controller for many 3rd person shooter games and they recently released a steering wheel, so you can now play several games like 'Burnout: Paradise' and 'Need for Speed: Most Wanted' like you're actually driving a car.

Is that in Playstation Store?  ???

Written By: captainEO on 02/20/13 at 2:34 pm

Announcement in 2 1/2 hours!!  :D

Written By: captainEO on 02/20/13 at 7:16 pm

Well, it's official:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18f9mz51xpl5yjpg/original.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDlW6K6CMAEnDnw.png:large

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/13 at 11:29 pm

Is that in Playstation Store?  ???

No.  It's a separate device you purchase

Written By: Howard on 02/21/13 at 6:54 am

Well, it's official:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18f9mz51xpl5yjpg/original.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDlW6K6CMAEnDnw.png:large

Maybe in another year or so I might get PS4 but for now I think I will keep my PS3 cause I've saved a load of data on my PS3 and don't want to erase it.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/24/13 at 6:36 pm

Maybe in another year or so I might get PS4 but for now I think I will keep my PS3 cause I've saved a load of data on my PS3 and don't want to erase it.

The press conference showed that Sony has all of the developers on its side now, If Xbox wants to secure its spot its going to have to secure all of the publishers/developers.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/13 at 6:57 am

Will this PS4 have Crackle and all the others?  ???

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/25/13 at 1:24 pm

Will this PS4 have Crackle and all the others?  ???

Sony owns Crackle

Written By: Howard on 02/25/13 at 1:59 pm

Sony owns Crackle

So that means it will? ???

Written By: captainEO on 02/25/13 at 6:05 pm

Yeah, there are still some PS3 games I haven't played yet. So I doubt I'll get one around its release. Besides I probably won't have the cash for it.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/13 at 6:38 am

Yeah, there are still some PS3 games I haven't played yet. So I doubt I'll get one around its release. Besides I probably won't have the cash for it.

I can always download games from The Playstation Store.

Written By: captainEO on 02/26/13 at 1:18 pm

I can always download games from The Playstation Store.

But I don't think any PS3 games work on PS4. You can only download new PS4 games. But PS classics may work...

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/13 at 11:49 pm

But I don't think any PS3 games work on PS4. You can only download new PS4 games. But PS classics may work...

If that was the case, then the PS4 wouldn't sell.  The PS4 would have to be compatible with atleast PS3 games, otherwise alot of people may not want one.  It was bad enough that later PS3s didn't support PS2 games.  It just meant for those who wanted to still play those PS2 games, they had to have a separate PS2, and that just takes up shelf space

Written By: Howard on 02/28/13 at 6:35 am

If that was the case, then the PS4 wouldn't sell.  The PS4 would have to be compatible with atleast PS3 games, otherwise alot of people may not want one.  It was bad enough that later PS3s didn't support PS3 games.  It just meant for those who wanted to still play those PS2 games, they had to have a separate PS2, and that just takes up shelf space

That's why I'm keeping my PS3.

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/13 at 6:17 pm

According to this ...
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Media_and_Format_Compatibility

It states that the PS4 will only play PS4 games both new and used.  If that is true, then I do not want a PS4.  I will avoid it like the plague.  What's the point of having a newer system that won't play the hundreds of other games people already have?

I could understand the PS Vita not supporting PSP games, because they went from disc based games to chip games, but what I understand, the PS4 will still use disc based games, so there is NO reason at all why it should not be able to play atleast PS3 games

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/13 at 6:53 pm

According to this ...
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Media_and_Format_Compatibility

It states that the PS4 will only play PS4 games both new and used.  If that is true, then I do not want a PS4.  I will avoid it like the plague.  What's the point of having a newer system that won't play the hundreds of other games people already have?

I could understand the PS Vita not supporting PSP games, because they went from disc based games to chip games, but what I understand, the PS4 will still use disc based games, so there is NO reason at all why it should not be able to play atleast PS3 games

I see it differently.

Backward compatibility is only good for the first year of the console's release so people can make the transition from one console to another smoothly. We still need our last generation console games to play a wide selection of games while the new console is picking up steam with the gaming choice.

However, once those games are coming out at a steady rate and the gaming selection makes buying the next generation console viable, what really is the point in keeping the last generation console games? I have never wanted to play a PS1 game after purchasing a PS2 console and I have never wanted to play a PS2/Xbox game after purchasing the PS3/Xbox360.

The only exception is my ZX Spectrum emulator which allows me to play retro 8 bit computer games and that is only because of the emotional attachment I have with that machine. At 128k memory it's certainly nothing to do with the in-depth gaming experience, lol.

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/28/13 at 7:50 pm

I see it differently.

Backward compatibility is only good for the first year of the console's release so people can make the transition from one console to another smoothly. We still need our last generation console games to play a wide selection of games while the new console is picking up steam with the gaming choice.

However, once those games are coming out at a steady rate and the gaming selection makes buying the next generation console viable, what really is the point in keeping the last generation console games? I have never wanted to play a PS1 game after purchasing a PS2 console and I have never wanted to play a PS2/Xbox game after purchasing the PS3/Xbox360.

The only exception is my ZX Spectrum emulator which allows me to play retro 8 bit computer games and that is only because of the emotional attachment I have with that machine. At 128k memory it's certainly nothing to do with the in-depth gaming experience, lol.

We see it differently.

The fact that Sony Playstation Store has and offers PS Classics is a definite admission of Sony that there are players (like me) and a sizable audience out there that are into and want to play old PS2 and PS1 games on the PS3.

Backwards compatibility is ALWAYS a factor in new purchases of a new generation of a existing game console.

There is a sizable audience of console gamers out there, again, like myself that grew up on video games. From the Atari to Xbox360/PS3 now. I've had or played great games on all consoles at one time or another and just because a new console comes out doesn't mean I don't want to play some of the great old games or not have the ability to play older games on those consoles that I didn't have the opportunity to play the first time around.

As a side comparison to music, just because a new band/artist comes out on a new format, doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening to the music I've loved on the old format. Eventually the older music gets converted to the new formant (by one way or another). I as a music listener gets what I want. So why should video games be different?

I still own and play games on my PS2 and have a Atari 2600, and actively looking for a Sega Genesis, but own a PS3 as well.

What many don't realize is that its the gameplay that is the important part of the experience, not always the technology. Thats what makes people want to play older games from older console systems...forever. A good game is a good game no matter what console it was on from whatever time, people will want to play it and will find ways of doing so, that's why emulators are so damn popular. If manufactures like Sony and Nintendo would wise up, there wouldn't be a need for them.

Anyhoo, and, as I said before, I don't see any great advantages of the PS4 over the PS3 right now to get me (or the vast majority of regular console gamers) to shell out any more $$$ to Sony for a PS4. I think even Sony is aware of the "soft" sell points of this new console are weak as the "hard" sell is completely non-existent with PS3 games selling consistently as they are.

There simply are not any great leaps of greatness that the PS4 has over the PS3 at this time, maybe in the future, but not now.

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/13 at 8:32 pm

We see it differently.

The fact that Sony Playstation Store has and offers PS Classics is a definite admission of Sony that there are players (like me) and a sizable audience out there that are into and want to play old PS2 and PS1 games on the PS3.

Backwards compatibility is ALWAYS a factor in new purchases of a new generation of a existing game console.

There is a sizable audience of console gamers out there, again, like myself that grew up on video games. From the Atari to Xbox360/PS3 now. I've had or played great games on all consoles at one time or another and just because a new console comes out doesn't mean I don't want to play some of the great old games or not have the ability to play older games on those consoles that I didn't have the opportunity to play the first time around.

As a side comparison to music, just because a new band/artist comes out on a new format, doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening to the music I've loved on the old format. So why should video games be different?

I still own and play games on my PS2 and have a Atari 2600, and actively looking for a Sega Genesis, but own a PS3 as well.

What many don't realize is that its the gameplay that is the important part of the experience, not always the technology. Thats what makes people want to play older games from older console systems...forever. A good game is a good game no matter what console it was on from whatever time, people will want to play it and will find ways of doing so, that's why emulators are so damn popular. If manufactures like Sony and Nintendo would wise up, there wouldn't be a need for them.

Anyhoo, and, as I said before, I don't see any great advantages of the PS4 over the PS3 right now to get me (or the vast majority of regular console gamers) to shell out any more $$$ to Sony for a PS4. I think even Sony is aware of the "soft" sell points of this new console are weak as the "hard" sell is completely non-existent with PS3 games selling consistently as they are.

There simply are not any great leaps of greatness that the PS4 has over the PS3 at this time, maybe in the future, but not now.

I didn't suggest to abandon backward compatibility for the people that want it. I suggested that my view of backward compatibility is pointless after a set period of time. Is it really such a dealbreaker for people not to ever buy a next generation console on principle like it seems to be to Jason?

I likewise didn't suggest anybody abandon their current PS3s for the next generation console just as soon as it comes out due to the lack of games available for the PS4/Xbox equivalent.

As for the quality between PS3 and PS4, we don't really know much about it to speculate on that. It may not be considerable or may be quite a big deal. We'll find out soon enough.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/13 at 6:44 am

That's why I'm keeping my PS3, It has what I want.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/13 at 6:45 am

Wow, that's amazing.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/09/13 at 8:11 pm

Wow, that's amazing.

Wow ebay that!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...