inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The inflation of information

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/13/13 at 7:35 am

I read somewhere that in 2012 that the amount of information produced exceeded everything created in human history up until 2003. This is in stark comparison to the 1980s for example where you had a couple new cable channels each year and some slow growth online in the underground, but basically the flow of information remained pretty steady, from the same flow of books, TV channels, newspapers, radio stations, and land mail. Phones were only used to make phone calls. It really WAS a simpler time in terms of the quantity of content produced, and although some people at the time thought the "information age" was arriving thanks to the proliferation of PC's that decade, it was nothing compared to what was coming. The 1990s brought the Internet to the mainstream and it all took off from there, especially with the arrival of broadband/social media in the early 2000s that made accessibility much easier. Its clear that with so many sources of information, whether its text, audio, or video, its much more difficult to get everything you want to see done, meaning that good opportunity cost skills are required. From the addition of many blogs, vlogs, tweets, Facebook posts, e-mail, comments on sites, independent media, e-books, discussion forums like this, many more TV channels both online and offline, so many radio stations, webcomics, independent online movies, advertistments through AdWords/AdSense and in the real world, does anyone feel that "enough with the new information; I can't concentrate?"

Subject: Re: The inflation of information

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/13/13 at 3:51 pm

I have ADD

Written By: Bobby on 02/13/13 at 5:56 pm

Personally, I think everything really kicked into high gear when SKY television came out in the UK around 1989. We only had 4 channels up to that point and Channel 4 only came out about 6 years before. SKY (then BSkyB) gave us more channels in 1 sitting than we have had in about 50 years up to that point.

Phones got smaller gradually and I think the old Nokia 3210 for me sped up the mobile phone industry in 1999. It could only allow you to text, call and play 'Snake' if I remember correctly but texting was a relatively new commercial thing back then. If you realise where we are now with phones after that Nokia 14 years ago, we have pretty much quantum leaped in what we can do with them.

Of course, the birth of the internet, for me, was probably the single most biggest change to the way I have lived in my lifetime (the internet effect noticeable by about 2001). From dial-up to broadband to fibre optic, the world seems to move at a faster rate and feels smaller as a result, especially as the internet speeds get faster at a quicker pace and equipment gets ever more intricate.

As a result of the internet we got forums such as Inthe00s but Myspace really did change the way people socially networked, exchanging photos and messages and allowing people to share their lives with others in an instant. Facebook took over and who knows what will take over that. Twitter is supposed to be good but I never got into that because I didn't like the idea of adding celebrities so they can spam and advertise their latest hype to me. Initially it was a novel idea but I think celebrities are working it now. Everybody is different though and a lot of people enjoy the idea that a celebrity is reading what Joe Public has to say.

This generation of games consoles, Xbox360 and PS3 from 2005 heavily rely on the internet for the first time whether it be online gaming, the way games can be distributed and how we can watch media via internet on these machines.

Technology and the rate of how information is distributed and produced is increasing at break-neck speed really. Who knows what will happen by 2025.

As for me thinking; "This is enough information for me!" I made that decision when I deleted my Facebook account. It's nice to have information but I also think it's nice to be selective about what information I require. I don't know about concentration but I don't have enough time in the day for it.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/13 at 6:53 am

This generation of games consoles, Xbox360 and PS3 from 2005 heavily rely on the internet for the first time whether it be online gaming, the way games can be distributed and how we can watch media via internet on these machines.

It's unbelieveable how technology has changed over the years.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/14/13 at 4:06 pm

Personally, I think everything really kicked into high gear when SKY television came out in the UK around 1989. We only had 4 channels up to that point and Channel 4 only came out about 6 years before. SKY (then BSkyB) gave us more channels in 1 sitting than we have had in about 50 years up to that point.

Phones got smaller gradually and I think the old Nokia 3210 for me sped up the mobile phone industry in 1999. It could only allow you to text, call and play 'Snake' if I remember correctly but texting was a relatively new commercial thing back then. If you realise where we are now with phones after that Nokia 14 years ago, we have pretty much quantum leaped in what we can do with them.

Of course, the birth of the internet, for me, was probably the single most biggest change to the way I have lived in my lifetime (the internet effect noticeable by about 2001). From dial-up to broadband to fibre optic, the world seems to move at a faster rate and feels smaller as a result, especially as the internet speeds get faster at a quicker pace and equipment gets ever more intricate.

As a result of the internet we got forums such as Inthe00s but Myspace really did change the way people socially networked, exchanging photos and messages and allowing people to share their lives with others in an instant. Facebook took over and who knows what will take over that. Twitter is supposed to be good but I never got into that because I didn't like the idea of adding celebrities so they can spam and advertise their latest hype to me. Initially it was a novel idea but I think celebrities are working it now. Everybody is different though and a lot of people enjoy the idea that a celebrity is reading what Joe Public has to say.

Technology and the rate of how information is distributed and produced is increasing at break-neck speed really. Who knows what will happen by 2025.

As for me thinking; "This is enough information for me!" I made that decision when I deleted my Facebook account. It's nice to have information but I also think it's nice to be selective about what information I require. I don't know about concentration but I don't have enough time in the day for it.

to much information can be bad

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 6:35 am

Now people are able to communicate differently like they used to 30 years ago via writing a letter compared to now with messageboards and other uses.

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/13 at 7:23 pm

to much information can be bad

It can certainly ruin the mystique of life.

For example, I love WWE wrestling and all that stuff. Before the internet we knew wrestling was fake somehow but we didn't realise how it was all done. Internet told us and now the magic has gone. It's a bit like being told how a card trick is performed.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 7:24 pm

For example, I love WWE wrestling and all that stuff. Before the internet, we knew wrestling was fake somehow but we didn't realise how it was all done. Internet told us and now the magic has gone. It's a bit like being told how a card trick was performed.

I'm infatuated with it too and a long time ago My father always told me that wrestling was "fake and scripted" and he was right and I believed him, It's become a male soap opera for kids and adults.

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/13 at 7:36 pm

I'm infatuated with it too and a long time ago My father always told me that wrestling was "fake and scripted" and he was right and I believed him, It's become a male soap opera for kids and adults.

One way the internet ruins WWE wrestling is how we know when wrestler's contracts expire so we get an idea who's going to win/lose a certain match. Another way is when a wrestler is involved in a fake storyline to cover a legitimate injury he has taken in/out of the ring.

However, if we don't want to know what's going on we don't have to read the dirt sheets. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 8:26 pm

One way the internet ruins WWE wrestling is how we know when wrestler's contracts expire so we get an idea who's going to win/lose a certain match. Another way is when a wrestler is involved in a fake storyline to cover a legitimate injury he has taken in/out of the ring.

However, if we don't want to know what's going on we don't have to read the dirt sheets. :)

Like I read the spoilers for Smackdown for what's going to happen on Friday Night before I watch it.

Check for new replies or respond here...