inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bruno Sammartino Headed to the WWE Hall of Fame

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/13 at 8:22 am

Next month, legendary wrestler and weightlifting champion Bruno Sammarino will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, an event that he personally refused for years until the sport got rid of the steroids.

http://www.timesonline.com/entertainment/local_entertainment/bruno-wrestling-s-living-legend-gets-overdue-honor/article_b2b7ab5e-8037-5483-9cb5-d93edbbc4a4c.html

Raised during WW2 by a heroic mother, and growing up as a sickly "90 pound weakling", Bruno was befriended by a Pickburgh police officer who introduced him to weightlifting and the rest is history.  Bruno fought in his first professional wrestling match in Hopewell PA, which is part of my Beaver County.  8)

Mr. Sammartino went on to dominate pro wrestling, holding its championship for eleven years.  To this date, no athlete, politician, or entertainer has headlined at Madison Square Garden as often as Bruno has. 8) 

His credentials as a weightlifter were only enhanced on the day that he became the first, and the only, person to lift 640-pound wrestler Haystacks Calhoun over his head and body slam him.  :o

Bruno earlier this month was inducted into the International Sports Hall of Fame, and was introduced by none other than Arnold Schwarzenegger who is one of Bruno's old weightlifting buddies.  :P

Bruno would like for Ahnold to do the WWE intro, but if The Governator is unavailable, then the honors will be done by another wrestling legend, Domenic DeNucci (his signature move was the "airplane spin"), who is a native of my Beaver County, PA.  Both Bruno and Domenic were staples of Studio Wrestling, which was a seminal program in the history of broadcast wrestling.  Italian wrestlers like Sammartino and DeNucci, along with other players like "Captain" Lou Albano, "Jumping" Johnny DeFazio, and Carlo Milano, appealed to Picksburgh's huge Italian population... as well as to Scottish and Irish cats like me.

Growing up in the Picksburgh area in the 1960's, Bruno was a hero to me as he was to almost all the boys (and a lot of girls) back then.  This is an awesome event and definitely overdue.  Congratulations, Bruno from a lifelong fan!!!!  :)

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/33/c33a9550-f5e1-534c-a76b-2802cb08605b/5144bfac9b63b.preview-300.jpg

Subject: Re: Bruno Sammartino Headed to the WWE Hall of Fame

Written By: warped on 03/17/13 at 12:20 pm

Watched Bruno wrestle on TV. Those days I'd get to see him, Killer Kowalski, Tarzan (the boot) Tyler, Edouard Carpentier, Haystacks Calhoun, The Von Erich guy, and a bunch of others from Quebec (Mad Dog Vachon, Johnny Rougeau, etc..)  The good old days. Bruno had so many moves.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/13 at 7:31 pm

I'm looking forward to it, it's about time the WWE recognizes Bruno now only if they could acknowledge Owen Hart, Randy Savage and Chris Benoit.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/13 at 8:09 pm

I'm looking forward to it, it's about time the WWE recognizes Bruno now only if they could acknowledge Owen Hart, Randy Savage and Chris Benoit.

Chris Benoit is never gonna happen...

Written By: Howard on 03/17/13 at 8:29 pm

Chris Benoit is never gonna happen...

I know but I can dream.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/27/13 at 1:28 pm

Doesn't look like Owen Hart will happen either. I think his widow wants nothing to do with WWE. She feels they are responsible for the stunt which killed him.
I also heard Savage would only be inducted if they inducted his family along with him.
I remember a few years ago that Ultimate Warrior would have accepted an induction but wanted too much $ and WWE was unwilling to retract the things said in the Self Destruction DVD.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/13 at 7:23 pm

I remember a few years ago that Ultimate Warrior would have accepted an induction but wanted too much $ and WWE was unwilling to retract the things said in the Self Destruction DVD.

Ultimate Warrior is a selfish greedy bastard, he just wants more money. If he had only stayed with the company after 1992 full time and not play those disappearing games on and off then most likely he'd say yes to joining The Hall Of Fame.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/28/13 at 12:01 am

Ultimate Warrior is a selfish greedy bastard, he just wants more money. If he had only stayed with the company after 1992 full time and not play those disappearing games on and off then most likely he'd say yes to joining The Hall Of Fame.

It seems the more time passes...the more WWE was accurate with the things they said on the DVD

Written By: Howard on 03/28/13 at 7:22 pm

I also heard Savage would only be inducted if they inducted his family along with him.

I was hoping Macho Man would go into The Hall Of Fame when he was alive.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/29/13 at 11:55 am

I was hoping Macho Man would go into The Hall Of Fame when he was alive.

I thought Wrestlemania 27 was the perfect time to induct him and would have loved to have heard the induction speech

Written By: Howard on 03/29/13 at 1:19 pm

I thought Wrestlemania 27 was the perfect time to induct him and would have loved to have heard the induction speech

and give his infamous "OHHH YEAH"!

Written By: Howard on 03/29/13 at 1:20 pm

I heard Arnold Shwartzenegger is inducting him.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/29/13 at 3:02 pm

I heard Arnold Shwartzenegger is inducting him.

Awesome.  I wish I could be there.  :)

At 77, I don't know if Bruno could kick Arnold's a$$ anymore, but I bet he could give him one heck of a run for his money.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/30/13 at 7:13 pm

Awesome.  I wish I could be there.  :)

At 77, I don't know if Bruno could kick Arnold's a$$ anymore, but I bet he could give him one heck of a run for his money.  8)

maybe back in the late 70's but not today.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/13 at 7:15 pm

and they're also inducting Bob Backlund, Mick Foley and Trish Stratus.

Check for new replies or respond here...