inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Carrie (2013) Trailer

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/12/13 at 5:43 am

Stephen King's Carrie is getting another film adaptation that will be released in October of this year, and its full-length trailer has just been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H369sxjyhx8

What do you think? Obviously they took some elements from the De Palma (1976) version, but I also like the idea of modernizing the story. For example, in the trailer there is a shot of a girl snapping a photo of Carrie in the shower rooms, probably with the intent of posting it onto Facebook or Twitter soon thereafter. That's what I mean by modernizing the story - including contemporary issues of social media bullying to add onto regular in-school bullying.

Subject: Re: Carrie (2013) Trailer

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/13 at 12:16 pm

Will Betty Buckley reprise her role in this remake? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/13 at 12:24 pm

Oh no!! Why not just release the original?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/13 at 12:58 pm

Oh no!! Why not just release the original?

Or release the original in 3-D like they are doing with Jurassic Park?

Written By: Howard on 04/12/13 at 7:22 pm

Stephen King's Carrie is getting another film adaptation that will be released in October of this year, and its full-length trailer has just been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H369sxjyhx8

What do you think? Obviously they took some elements from the De Palma (1976) version, but I also like the idea of modernizing the story. For example, in the trailer there is a shot of a girl snapping a photo of Carrie in the shower rooms, probably with the intent of posting it onto Facebook or Twitter soon thereafter. That's what I mean by modernizing the story - including contemporary issues of social media bullying to add onto regular in-school bullying.

It's ok, not great.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/13 at 12:42 am

It might be pretty good.  The problem with Hollywood these days is everything is overblown, based on spectacle, and hypersexualized.  However, that formula might work for a "Carrie" remake.  Problem is Chloë Grace Moretz is no Sissy Spacek!

http://goregirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/carrie.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/13 at 2:25 am

Now that I've seen the trailer why go see the movie? They put every salient point in the damn trailer.  ::)

Written By: The Valley Goth on 04/15/13 at 3:25 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I watched the original during 2002 (not even the entire movie...just the 2nd half) on T.V., and it scared me so badly that I had a mental breakdown that lasted for months on end.

I actually like this trailer, because Carrie seems so normal, friendly, and pretty.  Of course, that's not exactly what King had in mind, now, WAS it?  Muahaha!
8)

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/15/13 at 4:35 am

It might be pretty good.  The problem with Hollywood these days is everything is overblown, based on spectacle, and hypersexualized.  However, that formula might work for a "Carrie" remake.  Problem is Chloë Grace Moretz is no Sissy Spacek!

Yeah, Sissy Spacek left such big shoes to fill, that for somebody else to even attempt to give any justice to her character would be high-pressure. Piper Laurie, too, for that matter.

Now that I've seen the trailer why go see the movie? They put every salient point in the damn trailer.  ::)

To be fair, most people already know the story pretty well.

I actually like this trailer, because Carrie seems so normal, friendly, and pretty.  Of course, that's not exactly what King had in mind, now, WAS it?  Muahaha!

That's right. In the novel, King described Carrie as chunky, pimply, and unattractive. NONE of her actresses so far have fit that image.

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/13 at 11:50 am

To be fair, most people already know the story pretty well.

It doesn't matter that people know the story....people want to know how the the remake tells (or retells) the story and how it handles the big moments. The trailer pretty much shows all the big moments and most of the little ones.  There's nothing left to wonder about.

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/13 at 1:47 pm

What I do like is how they got someone of the correct age to play Carrie.

When Sissy Spacek played the role in 1976, she was 25
When Angela Bettis played the role in 2002, she was 28

Chloë Grace Moretz is 16

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/13 at 9:58 pm

That's right. In the novel, King described Carrie as chunky, pimply, and unattractive. NONE of her actresses so far have fit that image.

I went to school with a girl very much like Steven King's Carrie.  Ann Marie was from a cultish fundamentalist family.  She was a persecuted social outcast.  Furthermore, when she got her period for the first time in the eighth grade she flew into a panic and thought she was dying.  It happened in school, though not in the locker room.  The weird fundie parents hadn't bothered to explain the facts of life to her, and they'd be damned if they'd let anyone else do it.  I thought of Ann Marie getting a chalk talk on the birds and the bees from Nurse Foulds, and the catcalls and taunts to follow.  I felt soooo sorry for her.  We weren't friends.  The only thing Ann Marie and I had in common was being in the top 10 most ridiculed kids in that rotten junior high school. 

It's just as realistic to have Carrie be a pretty girl, though.  Some of the most bullied girls in my school were attractive.  They just didn't fit in socially, or they made the other girls jealous, or they got hassled for reasons unclear to me.  I found the knot of popular girls who did the bullying to be capriciously mean.  I remember a girl named Nicole who I couldn't tell from any of the in-crowd princesses, but all of a sudden they started pecking her to death.  It got really bad, then Nicole beat up Laurie in the bathroom during lunch.  Shortly thereafter, Nicole transferred to another school.  The girls were out to kill her.
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/16/13 at 10:10 pm

http://www.g33kpron.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/190_19.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/17/13 at 7:01 am

http://www.g33kpron.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/190_19.jpg

I wonder what they used for fake blood?

Written By: snozberries on 04/17/13 at 7:07 am

I wonder what they used for fake blood?

per wiki

The pig's blood dumped on Sissy Spacek was karo syrup and food coloring, although she was willing to have real blood dumped on her.   

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/17/13 at 10:58 am

I went to school with a girl very much like Steven King's Carrie.  Ann Marie was from a cultish fundamentalist family.  She was a persecuted social outcast.  Furthermore, when she got her period for the first time in the eighth grade she flew into a panic and thought she was dying.  It happened in school, though not in the locker room.  The weird fundie parents hadn't bothered to explain the facts of life to her, and they'd be damned if they'd let anyone else do it.  I thought of Ann Marie getting a chalk talk on the birds and the bees from Nurse Foulds, and the catcalls and taunts to follow.  I felt soooo sorry for her.  We weren't friends.  The only thing Ann Marie and I had in common was being in the top 10 most ridiculed kids in that rotten junior high school. 

It's just as realistic to have Carrie be a pretty girl, though.  Some of the most bullied girls in my school were attractive.  They just didn't fit in socially, or they made the other girls jealous, or they got hassled for reasons unclear to me.  I found the knot of popular girls who did the bullying to be capriciously mean.  I remember a girl named Nicole who I couldn't tell from any of the in-crowd princesses, but all of a sudden they started pecking her to death.  It got really bad, then Nicole beat up Laurie in the bathroom during lunch.  Shortly thereafter, Nicole transferred to another school.  The girls were out to kill her.
::)

And that's why I think parents raising their children like that amounts to child abuse. You're setting your children up to be maladjusted to the real world and they will be the ones reaping the consequences of your negligence.

Yeah, I've seen pretty girls go at it - either fighting over some douchebag who's not worth it, slut-shaming, or just pure jealousy-based taunting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/17/13 at 8:23 pm

per wiki

The pig's blood dumped on Sissy Spacek was karo syrup and food coloring, although she was willing to have real blood dumped on her.   

They better get it right on the first take, or you're next, Porky!
http://michaelprocopio.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/images.jpeg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/07/14 at 4:30 am

I saw this the other week, and on it's own it stood out as a good film, especially if the original has not been seen.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/14 at 7:03 pm

I saw this the other week, and on it's own it stood out as a good film, especially if the original has not been seen.

I liked it too.  People compared it too much to the 1976 original, when what they should have been doing is seeing it as if it was just a movie with a similar theme. 

In the original, Carrie never used her hands during the prom scene, nor did she practice her powers before the prom.  I liked how they changed it up for the remake. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/14 at 3:14 am

I liked it too.  People compared it too much to the 1976 original, when what they should have been doing is seeing it as if it was just a movie with a similar theme. 

In the original, Carrie never used her hands during the prom scene, nor did she practice her powers before the prom.  I liked how they changed it up for the remake. 
Spolier Alert. The jump scene was not recreated.

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/08/14 at 4:28 am

That's one aspect that is taken from the book. Even though Carrie wrecks the prom from outside the gym (in the book), she looks in through a window and is seen by the students inside laughing and smiling at their terror.

The book was also written in epistolary fashion, so there is one excerpt by a student who survived the prom massacre describing the event:

The lobby doors all slammed shut. The sound was like hands clapping. Somebody in the back screamed, and that started the stampede. They ran for the doors in a rush. I just stood there, not believing it. And when I looked, just before the first of them got there and started to push, I saw Carrie looking in, her face all smeared, like an Indian with war paint on.

She was smiling.

That's another thing that makes the book more chilling than the movies. After Carrie massacres her classmates, she goes out and destroys the entire town, resulting in hundreds of deaths. While she's doing this, she's unconsciously "broadcasting" herself to the residents of the town, so that people who don't even know who she is know she's the one behind the destruction.

To make a long story short, I highly recommend the book. It's so thrilling.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...