inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Daft Punk is Back ( new song Feat Pharrell )

Written By: thenewtattoo on 04/14/13 at 11:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JMJwcOiBoZE

thoughts?

Subject: Re: Daft Punk is Back ( new song Feat Pharrell )

Written By: Emman on 04/15/13 at 3:44 am

Kind of disappointed, they've gone completely retro, they used to be at the cutting edge of dance music back in the late '90s.
Now they are a disco revival band? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/13 at 11:30 pm

Kind of disappointed, they've gone completely retro, they used to be at the cutting edge of dance music back in the late '90s.
Now they are a disco revival band? ???

They're trying to cash in on the folksy retro craze.  If it's Hawaiian music next year, Daft Punk will do Hawaiian music (and pretty good too) but that way you sell records!

I'm glad they have the staying power!

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/13 at 10:48 am

But Daft Punk died in Tron : Legacy :D

Written By: tnf on 04/23/13 at 4:46 pm

The result of the combination of Daft Punk/Pharrell/Nile Rodgers could have been one of the best songs ever made.

With this kind of expectations, it falls quite flat (although it still sounds clearly better than the average current chart hit). :(

Written By: Emman on 04/23/13 at 5:40 pm

The result of the combination of Daft Punk/Pharrell/Nile Rodgers could have been one of the best songs ever made.

With this kind of expectations, it falls quite flat (although it still sounds clearly better than the average current chart hit). :(

Yeah their "new" single is just an generic sounding circa 1977 disco song, it goes nowhere. Daft Punk has always had a retro side(with '70s soft rock/disco/funk and '80s electro/metal/synth pop)but they also kept a foot in contemporary house/dance music but this is just derivative and mediocre, especially with all the hype about their new album.

I wasn't exactly expecting Daft Punk to start doing dubstep but I expected something more forwarding looking and innovative from them, after all they are consider the godfathers of EDM.

Written By: RG1995 on 04/23/13 at 9:24 pm

The song has actually gotten solid reviews. I personally find it fun, and I am sure it will be one of the big songs of the summer (judging from it's early iTunes/Spotify popularity).

I doubt the album is all 70s Disco. This is just the first single for radio.

Written By: tnf on 04/24/13 at 12:31 am

Yeah their "new" single is just an generic sounding circa 1977 disco song, it goes nowhere. Daft Punk has always had a retro side(with '70s soft rock/disco/funk and '80s electro/metal/synth pop)but they also kept a foot in contemporary house/dance music but this is just derivative and mediocre, especially with all the hype about their new album.

I wasn't exactly expecting Daft Punk to start doing dubstep but I expected something more forwarding looking and innovative from them, after all they are consider the godfathers of EDM.

Being innovative isn't thát important to me (almost everything is already done, and if it isn't, there's a big chance it sounds horrible). But there has to be a certain spark, the 'it' factor. That's what's lacking a little bit.

Written By: Emman on 04/24/13 at 7:27 pm

Being innovative isn't thát important to me (almost everything is already done, and if it isn't, there's a big chance it sounds horrible). But there has to be a certain spark, the 'it' factor. That's what's lacking a little bit.

I don't know if everything has been done musically or culturally, it really depends on context, avant-garde/experimental is often ahead of popular music. For example, Giorgio Moroder was not the first person to make electronic music but he was innovative because he took these abstract electronic pulses and put them to a disco beat(novel combination), I mean even today I Feel Love still sounds quite futuristic.

There's pure musical innovation which I think is pretty rare if we're talking completely unprecedent music, it is usually driven by new musical instruments/effects, novel combinations of preexisting styles/sounds is more common. Then there's cultural innovation like the creation of different subcultures(hippies, punk, goths, ect)so there's a lot of different ways to be creative and innovative.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/13 at 8:24 pm

Eh.  I'm OK with it.  What makes it work for me is having listened to enough disco to realize just how hard it is to make a song that captures a vibe that died decades ago.  Let's be honest yere, Chic's biggest hit, Le Freak was basically "Aaw, freak out!  Le freak!  C'est chic!"  And Good Times and Dance Dance Dance were hardly lyrical masterpieces.

If it helps, try not to think of this track as "New Daft Punk Single feat. The Guy From Chic".  Think of it as what Chic would sound like today, if we lived in an alternate universe in which Hard Rock, and not disco, had died on a baseball field in 1979 - and that it was Chic, not AC/DC, that continued to crank out an album every few years for 30 years.

Back in our own timeline, Daft Punk was incredibly true to the form they were emulating: the emphasis is on the bass guitar, the hi-hats, and the relatively unmodified vocals.  The vocoder-heavy sound characteristic of Daft Punk's electro only sneaks in around the edges as background vocal.  I've had it on loop while writing this post (along with a couple of Chic tracks), and it's exactly what I'd expect disco to sound like if it were still being recorded today. 

tl;dr: Daft Punk aimed at a target nobody had even looked at for years, and they absolutely nailed it.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/25/13 at 10:34 pm

Too bad they're not big in the mainstream!  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/13 at 10:54 pm

Too bad they're not big in the mainstream!  :-\\

They are now.  This song debited in the US Top 20, giving them their first ever appearance in the US Top 40

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/13 at 12:08 am

They are now.  This song debited in the US Top 20, giving them their first ever appearance in the US Top 40

I guess some people just shoot up like a rocket in fame with the first song/album. And some people take a few years!

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/13 at 10:39 pm

It also debuted at the top of the UK chart, giving them their first ever #1 single there.  Daft Punk are back indeed!

Check for new replies or respond here...