inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s passes by

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:19 am

So we are deep into the 2010s now. Now that more than three years has passed, what do you think of the decade so far?

Subject: Re: 2010s passes by

Written By: Creeder on 05/01/13 at 2:32 am

In terms of music its sucks, only good is indie rock.
Movies so far are very good.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 7:42 am

music sucks, crazy weather patterns, stupid boring reality shows and more gun violence.

Written By: Creeder on 05/01/13 at 9:14 am

I miss the early 10's... those were the days.

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/13 at 9:40 am

Heads up 80s fan..... I deleted a thread similar to this because it was pure decadeology

If this thread derails into an early, mid, late 2010s it will be gone. 

Written By: warped on 05/01/13 at 10:04 am

music sucks, crazy weather patterns, stupid boring reality shows and more gun violence.

Nailed it!  :)

Written By: guest on 05/01/13 at 12:33 pm

Early, mid and late can be very ambiguous. If there's anything that drives people crazy more so than decadeology does, it has to be early-mid-and-late-parts-of-a-decade-a-ology!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 05/01/13 at 12:48 pm

So we are deep into the 2010s now. Now that more than three years has passed, what do you think of the decade so far?

You gave like no good options for the poll

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:12 pm

Heads up 80s fan..... I deleted a thread similar to this because it was pure decadeology

Okay. :(

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:13 pm

Too much gun violence if you ask me.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 1:20 pm

You gave like no good options for the poll

I'm sorry. :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/13 at 1:58 pm

Early, mid and late can be very ambiguous. If there's anything that drives people crazy more so than decadeology does, it has to be early-mid-and-late-parts-of-a-decade-a-ology!

who-the-eff-cares

Written By: captainEO on 05/01/13 at 3:12 pm

I still don't quite get this decadeology thing. It's rather ambiguous now I think.
So basically you aren't allowed to compare different parts of decades or years? Or years from separate decades together?

OT: I like the early 10s. Cooler tech, better quality of life. If you say "music sucks", then you aren't looking in the right places. I'm wary to post any more, fearing that I may contribute to this "decadeology".

Can I at least say this? I think the early parts of a decade are the coolest parts. Because 1. they always have spillover from the previous decade, and 2. They're always more retro than the rest of the decade making them quite unique and special.

No one ever remembers the middle parts of a decade (well, at least from my perspective). Au revoir to the coolest part of the 10s. Well, in 6 months or so, this era will be completely over :(

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 3:32 pm

I miss the early 10's... those were the days.

How could you miss them? That was 3 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/13 at 3:34 pm

Too much gun violence if you ask me.

every day it seems to happen. ::)

Written By: Emman on 05/01/13 at 4:07 pm

I think the one subject that defines the 2010s so far(and probably will in future decades) is the terrible aftermath of the '08 financial crisis.

I look at this decade as our 1930s.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/01/13 at 8:03 pm

Speaking as someone who is spending his 20s in the 2010s (born in 1989, so each decade aligns almost perfectly with decades of my life, like 20s in 2010s, 30s in 2020s, 10-19 in 2000s), it is kind of hard to say.  Breaking it down by category:

- Music: Top 40 music is better than the 00s.  Rock music, however, has declined (though still some good stuff around, but less than the 00s).

- Movies: Seems about equal to the 00s.  There was more originality in the early part of the 00s, but "sequels and comic book adaptation mania" had already taken hold by the middle part of the decade.  The gimmicky 3D trend had potential to make the 2010s worse, but that's mostly died down.  Yeah, still around and movies still get 3D releases, but it doesn't seem as gimmicky as it did a couple years ago when it was all last minute 3D additions to cash in on Avatar.

- Video games: Worse than the 00s, easily.  Too much DLC, always-online required for even single player games, horrible industry practices, etc.  The only modern game systems I even bother with now are the portable ones.

- TV shows: Don't pay too much attention to TV in all honesty, so can't say.  I like a lot of anime though, which was better in the 00s.  So that might give the 00s the edge.

- Personal life: Way better in the 2010s, easily.  My teen years were not particularly kind to me.  Ever since May 2010, my life has gone through all sorts of changes.  Both good and bad things have happened and it's easily the most eventful period of my life.  I'll be nostalgic for 2010-2012, definitely.  2013 is a year of change, as I've now graduated from college and will move overseas to work in a few months.

Yeah, I'll go with the 2010s as the better decade for me personally, even if certain things like video games and the economy were way better in the 00s.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/01/13 at 8:53 pm

Gun violence has continuously gone down since the early 90s. You only hear about the mass shootings.

Written By: Emman on 05/01/13 at 10:36 pm

Gun violence has continuously gone down since the early 90s. You only hear about the mass shootings.

So so true, there's a lot of blown out propaganda going on in the media and the masses are being misinformed, all kinds of violent crimes have declined steadily since about 1993.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 11:04 pm

Yeah, I heard of this before.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 11:05 pm

So so true, there's a lot of blown out propaganda going on in the media and the masses are being misinformed, all kinds of violent crimes have declined steadily since about 1993.

The media likes a story. That's all I'm going to say.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/13 at 11:08 pm

As for the 2010s, it will be a decade of rebuilding for me. The 2010s in my book will always be about rebuilding from the mass destruction (LOL) I did to my life during my teens (I'm in my 20s now).

Written By: Howard on 05/02/13 at 7:15 am

Video games: Worse than the 00s, easily.  Too much DLC, always-online required for even single player games, horrible industry practices, etc.  The only modern game systems I even bother with now are the portable ones.

I know, every video game I buy now you have to download in order to use it.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 05/02/13 at 12:30 pm

I still don't quite get this decadeology thing. It's rather ambiguous now I think.
So basically you aren't allowed to compare different parts of decades or years? Or years from separate decades together?

OT: I like the early 10s. Cooler tech, better quality of life. If you say "music sucks", then you aren't looking in the right places. I'm wary to post any more, fearing that I may contribute to this "decadeology".

Can I at least say this? I think the early parts of a decade are the coolest parts. Because 1. they always have spillover from the previous decade, and 2. They're always more retro than the rest of the decade making them quite unique and special.

No one ever remembers the middle parts of a decade (well, at least from my perspective). Au revoir to the coolest part of the 10s. Well, in 6 months or so, this era will be completely over :(

no one remembers the middle part of a decade? Thats the only part ppl remember lol

Written By: thenewtattoo on 05/02/13 at 12:37 pm

Speaking as someone who is spending his 20s in the 2010s (born in 1989, so each decade aligns almost perfectly with decades of my life, like 20s in 2010s, 30s in 2020s, 10-19 in 2000s), it is kind of hard to say.  Breaking it down by category:

- Music: Top 40 music is better than the 00s.  Rock music, however, has declined (though still some good stuff around, but less than the 00s).

- Movies: Seems about equal to the 00s.  There was more originality in the early part of the 00s, but "sequels and comic book adaptation mania" had already taken hold by the middle part of the decade.  The gimmicky 3D trend had potential to make the 2010s worse, but that's mostly died down.  Yeah, still around and movies still get 3D releases, but it doesn't seem as gimmicky as it did a couple years ago when it was all last minute 3D additions to cash in on Avatar.

- Video games: Worse than the 00s, easily.  Too much DLC, always-online required for even single player games, horrible industry practices, etc.  The only modern game systems I even bother with now are the portable ones.

- TV shows: Don't pay too much attention to TV in all honesty, so can't say.  I like a lot of anime though, which was better in the 00s.  So that might give the 00s the edge.

- Personal life: Way better in the 2010s, easily.  My teen years were not particularly kind to me.  Ever since May 2010, my life has gone through all sorts of changes.  Both good and bad things have happened and it's easily the most eventful period of my life.  I'll be nostalgic for 2010-2012, definitely.  2013 is a year of change, as I've now graduated from college and will move overseas to work in a few months.

Yeah, I'll go with the 2010s as the better decade for me personally, even if certain things like video games and the economy were way better in the 00s.

Well it is the mid 2010s right now it was on April 1st,  Since the early part of the 10's is gone and over with I will make a few observations.

Music was holding off on the late 2000s trends until now. Its prob going to get this afterglo effect as described as the other poster.

Tv Shows,  this is a mixed bag  but with shows like Walking Dead & Breaking Bad atleast quality has improved .

To be quite honest im not really  nostalgic for earlier parts of the decade only the middle parts because thats when culture is at the highest peak!!

Written By: Slim95 on 05/02/13 at 9:03 pm

It feels just like another decade to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/02/13 at 9:08 pm

How could you miss them? That was 3 years ago.

Actually it was 1 month ago.  :P And I think they were being sarcastic.

Written By: Jquar on 05/02/13 at 11:01 pm

I think the bulk of contemporary popular culture is generally a little less annoying than it was for most of the 2000s. TV shows have gotten better and the popular music is gradually improving. Less dance crap and hip pop.

Politics and current events are no more or less chaotic than any other time period.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 6:45 am

TV shows have gotten better and the popular music is gradually improving.

I agree with newer shows like Big Bang Theory, Men At Work and Two And A Half Men, tv has become a bit watchable again.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/03/13 at 3:18 pm

All that's really changed is the explosion of tablets and smartphones.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 7:53 pm

All that's really changed is the explosion of tablets and smartphones.

and blackberries.

Written By: warped on 05/04/13 at 7:05 am

and blackberries.

http://www.gardencrossings.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-1311.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/04/13 at 7:35 am

http://www.gardencrossings.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-1311.jpg

http://www.prlog.org/10669773-blackberry-cell-phones.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/13 at 7:42 pm

I agree with this completely. As someone who's been a dedicated gamer ever since I first held an NES controller in my grubby little hands 22 years ago, it's been very disappointing to witness the slow decline of the video game industry over the last couple of years. The length of time required to make new games, a lack of originality and overabundance of First Person Shooter games have all combined to bring an end to console gaming's "golden age", which I think peaked in the '90s and early '00s.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/13 at 7:45 pm

it's been very disappointing to witness the slow decline of the video game industry over the last couple of years

I know it's been quite disappointing over the past couple of years.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/16/13 at 6:54 pm

I agree about the video game industry.  It seems to have started around the 2006-07 time frame.  Nowadays, it seems like nothing good is coming out anymore, especially for PC (my preferred platform). 

Written By: Howard on 05/16/13 at 7:43 pm

I agree about the video game industry.  It seems to have started around the 2006-07 time frame.  Nowadays, it seems like nothing good is coming out anymore, especially for PC (my preferred platform).

It used to be good in the 1980's.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/17/13 at 10:46 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting sick of all this retro revivalism going on.

Written By: Emman on 05/17/13 at 12:06 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting sick of all this retro revivalism going on.

How about we dress like it's 2013, and not like it's 1993, 1983, 1963, or whatever year our seemingly bipolar pop culture wishes it were?

YES, I couldn't agree more, fashion has been stuck in a revivalist cycle for a very long time 8-P, at least since the mid '90s. I mean they are even trying to pass trap off as a new style but it was pretty popular around 2003-2005, don't even get me started on Bruno Mars and that craptastic RAM album.

I actually expect this period of retro revivalism to end in the near future.

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/13 at 12:42 pm

How about we dress like it's 2013, and not like it's 1993, 1983, 1963, or whatever year our seemingly bipolar pop culture wishes it were?

I'm a few posts away from locking this thread. But I'm trying to be nice

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:27 pm

I know I agree Matt. ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/17/13 at 7:28 pm

I actually expect this period of retro revivalism to end in the near future.

So why do people need to keep talking about it? ::)

Written By: RG1995 on 05/17/13 at 9:57 pm

It used to be good in the 1980's.
That's a very general statement. Not very good for a lot of people

Check for new replies or respond here...