inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Massive Tornado In Oklahoma

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 6:44 pm

A Massive Tornado hit outside Oklahoma City.

I am worried because I have niece who I think lives either in or near Okla City. I also have family in Tulsa.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/videos-massive-tornado-rips-oklahoma-215949606.html

Cat

Subject: Re: Massive Tornado In Oklahoma

Written By: Dagwood on 05/20/13 at 8:24 pm

So scary.  They are saying that probably no one at the elementary school survived.  My prayers go out to them.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/20/13 at 8:44 pm

How awful!  It seems like the weather is just beating the sheesh out of us lately!  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/13 at 9:13 pm

It is utter devastation.  The pictures are horrifying.  You can't even tell what used to be what.  You can tell where neighborhoods used to be, but that's about it!
:o :o :o

Written By: nally on 05/20/13 at 10:43 pm

I heard about this. I feel kinda sad for all those folks.

My prayers go out to them.

The same here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/13 at 1:06 am

Moore is right in tornado alley.  They can rebuild, but the same crap is going to happen in ten or fifteen years.
::)

Written By: Henk on 05/21/13 at 5:14 am

Latest figures are 51 people died, although other sources mention numbers as high as 91. :( Numbers that high are very rare, and have been especially in the last 60 years.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Moore. It must be extremely frightening to be in the path of a tornado... to lose everything in the blink of an eye, not just a house, but an entire life and possibly one or more loved ones - it must be devastating.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 6:24 am

How awful!  It seems like the weather is just beating the sheesh out of us lately!  :\'(

I know, this crazy weather is just taking a toll out of us plus with all the weather patterns, it's hard to adjust.

Written By: warped on 05/21/13 at 6:35 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Moore. It must be extremely frightening to be in the path of a tornado... to lose everything in the blink of an eye, not just a house, but an entire life and possibly one or more loved ones - it must be devastating.

Well said Henk, agreed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 11:38 am

So sad. I talked to my sister in Tulsa last night. She told me that Tulsa only got a little rain. Tulsa usually escapes because it is kind of hilly so the big tornadoes usually start to dissipate before hitting. But, they do get hit-just not as bad. She also told me that my niece is now living in Tulsa-so she was out of harm's way.

Moore was hit back in 1999 with a major tornado and how they got hit again. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would live in Tornado Alley.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 12:34 pm

So sad. I talked to my sister in Tulsa last night. She told me that Tulsa only got a little rain. Tulsa usually escapes because it is kind of hilly so the big tornadoes usually start to dissipate before hitting. But, they do get hit-just not as bad. She also told me that my niece is now living in Tulsa-so she was out of harm's way.

Moore was hit back in 1999 with a major tornado and how they got hit again. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would live in Tornado Alley.

Cat

Glad to hear that your family is fine, Cat.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/21/13 at 12:41 pm

Moore is right in tornado alley.  They can rebuild, but the same crap is going to happen in ten or fifteen years.
::)

Moore got hit back in 1999. During my last go-around as a long-distance trucker, I went through Moore about 3 or 4 days after the tornado hit, and it looked as though a giant lawnmower ripped a mile-wide path through the neighborhood.

Cat

Because it's our home. To be sure, tornadoes are terrifying, though I think Midwesterners and Southerners have the same attitude about them as Californians have about earthquakes and people on the East Coast and Gulf states have about hurricanes. We see them as just a part of life.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 12:56 pm

Because it's our home. To be sure, tornadoes are terrifying, though I think Midwesterners and Southerners have the same attitude about them as Californians have about earthquakes and people on the East Coast and Gulf states have about hurricanes. We see them as just a part of life.

Yeah, I hear ya. Of course I wouldn't want to live in California either because of earthquakes-even though I know that earthquakes & tornadoes can happen anywhere. At least with hurricanes, you know they are coming and you can prepare.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 05/21/13 at 12:59 pm

Latest figures are 51 people died, although other sources mention numbers as high as 91. :( Numbers that high are very rare, and have been especially in the last 60 years.

They have revised the number down to 24 dead including 9 children, they think some were counted twice, still a tragic event no more how many lost their lives and homes.

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 1:15 pm

Yeah, I hear ya. Of course I wouldn't want to live in California either because of earthquakes-even though I know that earthquakes & tornadoes can happen anywhere. At least with hurricanes, you know they are coming and you can prepare.

Cat

I currently live in the Pacific Northwest, and would rather be caught in an earthquake than a tornado. At least I won't have to worry about where my damaged possessions are located, which could be hundreds of miles away after being hit by a twister.

Written By: meesa on 05/21/13 at 1:39 pm

It is absolutely horrible, what they are going through. We are gathering items for donation at my work, and I am sure that they will ask for volunteers to go help when they are ready for the volunteers...I am going to volunteer when they start rounding up for clean-up duty, etc-I have some vacation coming and couldn't think of a better way to spend it.

This is the list that we received from our local Red Cross that Moore is needing-donations can be given to any Red Cross location, if you are interested:
Bottled Water
Gatorade
Wipes
Individual wrapped snacks
Hand Sanitizer
Diapers
Baby Formula
Hand Towels
Work Gloves
Toilet paper
Bath towels
Bath soap
Laundry soap
Sun screen
Sun burn treatment
Denture cleaner
denture paste
Shampoo
Conditioner
Deodorant

One thing I did not see on this list that I think would be a good add would be pet food. There could be many displaced pets- there were when the Joplin tornado happened.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/21/13 at 1:52 pm

I currently live in the Pacific Northwest, and would rather be caught in an earthquake than a tornado. At least I won't have to worry about where my damaged possessions are located, which could be hundreds of miles away after being hit by a twister.

Interestingly, some of the most powerful earthquakes ever happened in New Madrid, Missouri in 1811-12. New Madrid is about 160 miles south of St. Louis and located near the Mississippi River, and on at least one occasion the earthquake was so powerful (8.2 on the Richter Scale) that it briefly made the Mississippi reverse its course.  :o :o :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 3:25 pm

At least there is one minor happy ending:

http://news.sky.com/story/1093711/tornado-survivor-finds-dog-during-tv-interview

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/13 at 6:32 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1093711/tornado-survivor-finds-dog-during-tv-interview

Cat

That brought tears to my eyes.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 7:25 pm

Cat

That was great news.  :)

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 7:30 pm

Cat

That's such a touching story.

Written By: gibbo on 05/22/13 at 1:40 am

This brought tears to my eyes while reading further about it in todays paper (while having lunch).  :\'(  The couple sitting at the next table were glancing over ...  must have wondered what was happening in my life!

Written By: Henk on 05/22/13 at 5:17 am

They have revised the number down to 24 dead including 9 children, they think some were counted twice, still a tragic event no more how many lost their lives and homes.

Yeah, I read that too. Of course, 24 is considerably less than 51 or 91, but still... it affects dozens if not hundreds of people. Houses can be rebuild, but that doesn't bring back the lost loved ones.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 6:54 am

Houses can be rebuild, but that doesn't bring back the lost loved ones.

And it makes you wonder what's happening with this world?

Written By: Inertia on 05/22/13 at 7:04 am

I feel for the people in Oklahoma. Tornadoes are a large threat in Western Kentucky too.

Check for new replies or respond here...