inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stephen Fry reveals he attempted suicide in 2012

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/13 at 1:28 pm

Stephen Fry has revealed he had to be brought back to the UK to be "looked after" last year after attempting suicide while filming abroad.

In an interview for Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast, Fry said: "I took a huge number of pills and a huge of vodka."

The actor revealed his producer found him in an "unconscious state".

Fry, who has bipolar disorder, has discussed his struggle with mental health issues in the past.

During the recording with Herring, in front of a live audience at the central London theatre, which was was transcribed on the British Comedy Guide website, Fry said it was the first time he had said in public that he is "not always happy".

"I am the victim of my own moods, more than most people are perhaps, in as much as I have a condition which requires me to take medication so that I don't get either too hyper or too depressed to the point of suicide."

Fry revealed the incident took place in a hotel room, adding the mixture of drugs and alcohol "made my body convulse so much that I broke four ribs".

"It was a close run thing," he said.

"Fortunately, the producer I was filming with at the time came into the hotel room and I was found in a sort of unconscious state and taken back to England and looked after."

Fry told the audience that in light of his role as president of the mental health charity, Mind, he wanted to be open about his feelings.

"The whole point in my role, as I see it, is not to be shy and forthcoming about the morbidity and genuine nature of the likelihood of death amongst people certain mood disorders."

He said there is "no reason" for someone wanting to take their own life.

"There is no 'why', it's not the right question. There's no reason. If there were a reason for it, you could reason someone out of it, and you could tell them why they shouldn't take their own life," he said.

The actor and comedian attempted suicide after walking out of the West End play Cell Mates in 1995 - an event he recounted in a documentary for BBC Two called The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive.

The actor made his return to the West End stage in November 2012 as Malvolio in Twelfth Night.

He will feature in the Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug as Mayor of Laketown, due for release in December.

Subject: Re: Stephen Fry reveals he attempted suicide in 2012

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/13 at 4:28 pm

Wow, he always seems so happy. You never know 100% about a person huh?

Written By: ninny on 06/05/13 at 6:06 pm

Interesting you never really know what one is feeling inside. They just had on the news where Paris Jackson (Micheal's daughter)tried committing suicide.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 06/06/13 at 5:11 am

To be honest, it always seemed like he was never medicated quite enough. Like, when he's energetic it always seemed to me like a very "manic" energy, so I kind of suspected he'd have some serious down phases. I hope he's safe.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/13 at 6:50 am

Interesting you never really know what one is feeling inside. They just had on the news where Paris Jackson (Micheal's daughter)tried committing suicide.

So far, she's feeling ok.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/20/13 at 6:45 pm

I really like Stephen Fry and felt so bad when I read about his problems.  I wish someone would find a cure for this malady.  It is a horror for the families as much as it is for the people who struggle with it.  :(

Written By: KayKay on 06/21/13 at 2:27 am

The trouble with depression, is that friends and family are usually like "I should have noticed" wheras the person concerned usually tries everything to appear as if everything is normal. Hopefully people like Stephen Fry will inspire others with depressive disorders, to be more open, and willing to ask for and accept help when needed.

Kay x

Written By: Howard on 06/21/13 at 6:32 am

The problem is when someone asks "Is something wrong"?, the other person responds "I'm feeling ok", they just don't want to admit that something is wrong but the other knows that there is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/13 at 8:53 pm

Bipolar disorder requires close monitoring.  I've known a couple of people who have committed suicide on a low ebb.  One of the was my ex-gf ten years ago. 

I'm glad Mr. Fry came through all right.  He needs to be careful and definitely stay away from recreational drugs and alcohol.

Check for new replies or respond here...