inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will the hipster fad peak?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/30/13 at 6:10 pm

Being a hipster is all the rage right now.  If you are between 18 and 30 right now, you are probably partaking or are at least under cultural pressure to partake in hipster mania.  Hipsters will tell you its not a fad but is the new way of life.  Every generation though thinks their fads will be permanent and every one of them eventually proves itself just to be another fad.  Hipsterism will be no exception.  Do you think the fad is peaking now or will peak soon?

Subject: Re: When will the hipster fad peak?

Written By: warped on 06/30/13 at 6:45 pm

Since I never heard of hipster, I probably should look it up.

then again.

nah......

I'm not between 18 and 30 anyways.

Disco was a fad and it went away. I was hoping hiphop/rap fad would have gone away by now too, but sadly it still exists.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/30/13 at 11:43 pm

http://i.imgur.com/323d6my.jpg

It'll peak when they find another word for "hipster"...

Written By: Howard on 07/01/13 at 3:51 pm

then again.

nah......

Disco was a fad and it went away. I was hoping hiphop/rap fad would have gone away by now too, but sadly it still exists.

I agree about the hip-hop/rap fad still exists, I wish it went away as well.

Written By: RG1995 on 07/02/13 at 1:38 am

Hip-Hop is not a fad. That's like calling Rock music a fad.

Written By: Emman on 07/02/13 at 3:06 am

Hip-Hop is not a fad. That's like calling Rock music a fad.

Actually, it's an entire culture that has spread across the globe, I think it's usually middle aged, middle class whites that understand hip-hop so little as to call it a mere fad.

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/02/13 at 6:59 pm

then again.

nah......

And heres the little lady that helped destroy Disco

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/02/13 at 7:03 pm

And heres the little lady that helped destroy Disco
lets see if I did this right

Written By: sonikuu on 07/03/13 at 4:01 am

Being a hipster is all the rage right now.  If you are between 18 and 30 right now, you are probably partaking or are at least under cultural pressure to partake in hipster mania.  Hipsters will tell you its not a fad but is the new way of life.  Every generation though thinks their fads will be permanent and every one of them eventually proves itself just to be another fad.  Hipsterism will be no exception.  Do you think the fad is peaking now or will peak soon?

I'll actually be the dissenter here and argue against this.  First of all, I wouldn't say people between 18 and 30 are under any kind of "cultural pressure" to be a hipster.  If anything, hipsters have taken on the same status as emo kids in the 00s: a common punching bag for people to hate on.  I see just as much people complaining about hipsters as actual hipsters.  Heck, the haters probably outnumber the hipsters themselves.  Emo had this same phenomenon back in the 00s.  After a certain point, there was more hating on Emo and Emo kids than there were actual Emo kids.  The very word "hipster" by this point is an epithet.  It is solely used in a derisive, negative way and is very flexible in its meaning, similar to how Emo became overused for anything remotely sad or depressing in the 00s (ex: "stop being so emo!").

I would argue that being a hipster isn't "all the rage" now either.  Look at the top forty songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.  You can almost count the amount of "hipster" songs on one hand.  That's not being "all the rage". 

As for whether it is peaking or not, I honestly think it could go either way.  One can't deny that the genre made real progress in 2012 and 2013 and might be heading up higher.  On the other hand, people were saying for years that "hipster culture" was about to dominant and it never did, being overshadowed by the Dance Pop trend through most of the early 2010s.  In that respect, hipsters might have already overstayed their welcome, especially with the sheer amount of hatred they seem to garner.

Written By: Henk on 07/03/13 at 5:18 am

I have two simple questions:

If you're a hipster, why do you care?

If you're NOT a hipster, why do you care?

Written By: Howard on 07/03/13 at 6:51 am

lets see if I did this right

Why did she destroy disco?

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/03/13 at 5:41 pm

I'll actually be the dissenter here and argue against this.  First of all, I wouldn't say people between 18 and 30 are under any kind of "cultural pressure" to be a hipster.  If anything, hipsters have taken on the same status as emo kids in the 00s: a common punching bag for people to hate on.  I see just as much people complaining about hipsters as actual hipsters.  Heck, the haters probably outnumber the hipsters themselves.  Emo had this same phenomenon back in the 00s.  After a certain point, there was more hating on Emo and Emo kids than there were actual Emo kids.  The very word "hipster" by this point is an epithet.  It is solely used in a derisive, negative way and is very flexible in its meaning, similar to how Emo became overused for anything remotely sad or depressing in the 00s (ex: "stop being so emo!").

I would argue that being a hipster isn't "all the rage" now either.  Look at the top forty songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.  You can almost count the amount of "hipster" songs on one hand.  That's not being "all the rage". 

As for whether it is peaking or not, I honestly think it could go either way.  One can't deny that the genre made real progress in 2012 and 2013 and might be heading up higher.  On the other hand, people were saying for years that "hipster culture" was about to dominant and it never did, being overshadowed by the Dance Pop trend through most of the early 2010s.  In that respect, hipsters might have already overstayed their welcome, especially with the sheer amount of hatred they seem to garner.

It does seem to me that the hipster subculture did influence a lot of current fashion trends.

Otherwise, I agree with your premise. There are parallels between hipsterdom (is that a word?  :P) and emo.

Written By: Emman on 07/03/13 at 5:50 pm

I actually think hipsters and their subculture are a '00s holdover.

I think a new or different subculture will come along around 2015 or 2016.

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/13 at 8:30 pm

Like some people here, I also do not know what a hipster is.  Do I want to know?  Only if my ass was on fire and the only way to extinguish it was to know what a hipster is lol

Written By: Howard on 07/06/13 at 5:28 am

Like some people here, I also do not know what a hipster is.  Do I want to know?  Only if my ass was on fire and the only way to extinguish it was to know what a hipster is lol

A hipster is someone who's cool looking and wears weird looking clothes.

Written By: warped on 07/06/13 at 5:51 am

;D

A hipster is someone who's cool looking and wears weird looking clothes.

Like this? Bowie was cool, odd looking clothes

http://wp-images.emusic.com/assets/2012/05/bowie-sale-053112-download.jpg

Cyndi Lauper, she was cool

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1DcR_-L-4Qo/TVCF16FxczI/AAAAAAAAAHw/JwJxC3ANM9I/s1600/nm_80s_cyndi_3_090427_ssv.jpg

John Lennon. Was there anyone cooler?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/B72724.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 07/11/13 at 11:55 pm

Actually, it's an entire culture that has spread across the globe, I think it's usually middle aged, middle class whites that understand hip-hop so little as to call it a mere fad.

Agreed.  Hip-hop isn't a fad, just like rock or jazz aren't fads.  It had seen the peak of its popularity in the mid-2000s but will always be around in some form or another.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/13/13 at 5:46 pm

These days, it's hard to even define what a hipster is. Stereotypical hipster features/fashion are what? beards, thick-frame glasses, beanies/berets, untamed hairstyles, argyle sweaters, retro fashion, tight/colorful pants, sunglasses, coffee in one hand/iPhone in the other.

I think any "pressure" to be or dress hipster is indirect or subconscious. Emo kids started wearing skinny jeans in the mid-00s and everyone thought they looked horrendous on guys. Slowly but surely, non-emo people adopted the trend and by the early '10s they were really common among all types of guys. It happens with every subculture, really.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/13 at 5:56 pm

http://go.ninemsn.com.au/img/seinfeld/slideshow/seinfeld_kramer_310x450.jpg

Michael Richards (Cosmo Kramer) referred to himself a hipster on Seinfeld

Written By: warped on 07/13/13 at 6:03 pm

After what he did, he ain't hip anymore.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/13/13 at 8:24 pm

The odd things is that hipsters often use racism ironically as pseudo-intellectual statements on society.

Maybe if he were a little more like a stereotypical hipster he couldve pulled it off.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/14/13 at 4:11 am

These days, it's hard to even define what a hipster is. Stereotypical hipster features/fashion are what? beards, thick-frame glasses, beanies/berets, untamed hairstyles, argyle sweaters, retro fashion, tight/colorful pants, sunglasses, coffee in one hand/iPhone in the other.

I think any "pressure" to be or dress hipster is indirect or subconscious. Emo kids started wearing skinny jeans in the mid-00s and everyone thought they looked horrendous on guys. Slowly but surely, non-emo people adopted the trend and by the early '10s they were really common among all types of guys. It happens with every subculture, really.

I agree. I myself own a pair of thick-rimmed glasses and an argyle sweater, but I don't consider myself a hipster. I see lots of people these days dressed in clothes that are normally associated with hipsters.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/13 at 3:37 pm

I agree, he doesn't have it like he used to 20 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/13 at 3:38 pm

The odd things is that hipsters often use racism ironically as pseudo-intellectual statements on society.

Maybe if he were a little more like a stereotypical hipster he couldve pulled it off.

what do you mean by stereotypical hipster?

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/15/13 at 5:09 am

what do you mean by stereotypical hipster?

Horn-rimmed glasses, skinny courdoroy pants, v-neck shirts, sweater vests, leather jackets, stocking caps worn half-way off the head. Weird mashup of retro and bohemian fashions.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/13 at 6:32 am

Horn-rimmed glasses, skinny corduroy pants, v-neck shirts, sweater vests, leather jackets, stocking caps worn half-way off the head. Weird mash up of retro and bohemian fashions.

and don't forget having a Cafe Latte in hand.

Written By: drewsef on 07/16/13 at 12:26 pm

In answer to the original question, I'd say it's probably at its peak. It's been a popular subculture for a few years now, and as we all know fads/subcultures tend to last about five or six years and then decline in popularity. I expect the decline will begin in the next year or two and it'll be dead by 2016.

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/13 at 12:44 pm

And the world refers to him as a racist

Written By: Howard on 07/16/13 at 2:16 pm

And the world refers to him as a racist

Well, not the whole world?

Check for new replies or respond here...