inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sacha Baron Cohen pulls out of Freddie Mercury biopic

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/13 at 9:09 am

Sacha Baron Cohen has pulled out of a Freddie Mercury biopic over "creative differences", according to reports.

Industry newspaper Variety said the actor's manager confirmed the news, saying he clashed with producers over the film's tone.

The movie, which is backed by Queen, focuses on the period leading up to Live Aid in 1985 and Mercury's famous performance.

The screenplay has been written by Frost/Nixon scribe Peter Morgan.

In 2010 Queen's Brian May confirmed to the BBC Baron Cohen had been working with them on the biopic "since we started talking about it seriously with Peter Morgan a couple of years ago."

May and Queen drummer Roger Taylor will oversee music featured in the film, which will include songs by the band and by Mercury as a solo performer.

Baron Cohen is currently working on a spy spoof for Paramount which follows a secret agent who goes on the run with his football hooligan brother.

The star has written the screenplay and will also star in the film.

He is also developing a film inspired by the true story of a Hong Kong billionaire who offered $65m (£40m) to any man who would succeed in marrying his lesbian daughter.

The Lesbian - based on the story of Cecil Chao - will be produced by Paramount through Baron Cohen's company Four By Two.

Baron Cohen's last movie, The Dictator, made $177m (£109m) worldwide.

Subject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen pulls out of Freddie Mercury biopic

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/20 at 6:08 am

Just seen a guest viewing this:

Sacha Baron Cohen has pulled out of a Freddie Mercury biopic over "creative differences", according to reports.

Industry newspaper Variety said the actor's manager confirmed the news, saying he clashed with producers over the film's tone.

...if he had not quit the film "Bohemian Rhapsody", he could had gone on and won the Best Acting Academy Award for the role of Freddie Mercury, of which Rami Malek did go on to win the Oscar.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/07/20 at 8:47 pm

...if he had not quit the film "Bohemian Rhapsody", he could had gone on and won the Best Acting Academy Award for the role of Freddie Mercury, of which Rami Malek did go on to win the Oscar.

that would have been interesting... had he not pulled out cause Sasha wanted to tell the FULL story!

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/07/20 at 9:05 pm

that would have been interesting... had he not pulled out cause Sasha wanted to tell the FULL story!

I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was low common denominator trash but what "FULL story" was there to tell exactly? If you're talking about Freddy Mercury's sex exploits, the movie covered it.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/07/20 at 9:23 pm

I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was low common denominator trash but what "FULL story" was there to tell exactly? If you're talking about Freddy Mercury's sex exploits, the movie covered it.

Well remember, I didn't see the movie overall aside from scenes, so I'm only going by what I heard about it! I heard it didn't do a good job with his well known sex life.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/07/20 at 9:59 pm

There's just something really creepy about Rami Malek. I can't watch him in anything.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/07/20 at 11:49 pm

There's just something really creepy about Rami Malek. I can't watch him in anything.

Rami is AWFUL in Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a fking shame that he won an Oscar for that role. That said...he's legendary in Mr. Robot. Truly one of the greatest characters in television history and it is all due to Malek's creepy acting. The role really works to his advantage.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/20 at 3:45 pm

What's creepy about him? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...