inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New York City Welcomes Back The Big Gulp

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/13 at 7:03 pm

Well today a New York appellate court ruled Mayor Bloomberg's ban on large soda drinks unconstitutional.

I wish I were in NYC today.  I'd celebrate with a Big Gulp and a Twinkie.  :P

Subject: Re: New York City Welcomes Back The Big Gulp

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/13 at 9:26 am

Well today a New York appellate court ruled Mayor Bloomberg's ban on large soda drinks unconstitutional.

But you still can't smoke that stogie on the bus!
:(

Written By: valleyroads on 08/02/13 at 10:02 am

Not a resident of NYC nor likely to visit, but I appreciate this move away from Michael Bloomberg's idealized nanny-state (which my city's mayor leans toward too), large drink sales are also a bit of a money spinner to restaurants, bodegas and food trucks.

And I agree, have a Double Gulp and some Twinkies to celebrate if you're in or near NYC.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/13 at 3:35 pm

and I'd join you.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/13 at 3:36 pm

Are there free refills?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/13 at 7:46 pm

Are there free refills?

For the Twinkies? ???

;D

Written By: Howard on 08/03/13 at 3:34 pm

For the Twinkies? ???

;D

I meant The Big Gulps?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/13 at 7:35 pm

I stopped off at my local grocery store, Giant Iggle, and decided to get a Hostess Twinkie.  You know... solely for quality control purposes, to make sure that the product is being made correctly.  :-X

To my horror the store does not carry them.  :o :o

So... I bought a store-brand apple pie and it was quite tasty.  :P  It actually was completely full of apple filling, as opposed to the Hostess ones that are mainly a big piece of dough with an air pocket in the middle.  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/13 at 10:12 pm

I stopped off at my local grocery store, Giant Iggle, and decided to get a Hostess Twinkie.  You know... solely for quality control purposes, to make sure that the product is being made correctly.  :-X

So... I bought a store-brand apple pie and it was quite tasty.  :P  It actually was completely full of apple filling, as opposed to the Hostess ones that are mainly a big piece of dough with an air pocket in the middle.  8-P

Giant Iggle?  That's a funny name!  Is that where Iggy Pop shops?  I looked it up and figured out that must be how they say Giant Eagle in Picksburgh!

From "Giant Iggle" image search:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/SteelersFan_girl.jpg

Real fruit pie with artificial flavors!

http://www.gianteagle.com/ProductImages/PRODUCT_NODE_51/38817002023.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/13 at 8:01 am

Giant Iggle?  That's a funny name!  Is that where Iggy Pop shops?  I looked it up and figured out that must be how they say Giant Eagle in Picksburgh!

Indeed, we 'Burghers pronounce Giant Eagle as Giant Iggle.

They even have an Eagle mascot whose name is "Iggle".

http://www.cityofpowell.us/images/community/2008%20Community%20Bonfire/Big%20hug%20for%20Iggle.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/04/13 at 3:45 pm

You could've gone to another store that sold them.  ???

Written By: Howard on 08/04/13 at 3:46 pm

time for a twinkie and a big gulp, make that a coffee for me. ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/13 at 3:14 pm

I went back to Giant Iggle today and still no Twinkies.  They did have Hostess-brand Ding Dongs and Donettes though.

I got another store-brand apple pie.  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/11/13 at 3:21 pm

I went back to Giant Iggle today and still no Twinkies.  They did have Hostess-brand Ding Dongs and Donettes though.

I got another store-brand apple pie.  :P

Are they as good as Hostess's brand?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/13 at 4:16 pm

Are they as good as Hostess's brand?  ???

Hostess brand apple pies over the past few years sucked.  They were basically a hollow piece of dough filled with mostly air and a measly amount of apples.

Giant Iggle sells "JJ's" brand, and the pie is almost completely filled with apple filling.  They also package it in a little cardboard box so they don't get squished.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...