inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are we living in the Golden Age of TV?

Written By: RG1995 on 08/10/13 at 4:46 am

Remember, quality over quantity. There are a lot of horrible reality shows, but it if you truly look at modern television, it is clear we are living in a one of, if not the best era of TV drama.

Breaking Bad, Homeland, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Dexter, Mad Men, Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire, Louie, ect, ect. Not to mention series that ended not too long ago: Sopranos, The Wire, West Wing, Shield, ect, ect.

It's great mainstream TV is picking up the slack when mainstream Hollywood is focusing on CGI, comic book movies, sequels, remakes, and unoriginal ideas.

Subject: Re: Are we living in the Golden Age of TV?

Written By: sonikuu on 08/10/13 at 6:11 am

Yeah, I'd argue things with regards to TV started taking a turn for the better sometime around the mid-00s.  Once stuff like Lost started achieving mainstream success, it started spurring other such shows to be made.  If anything, it seems like TV has gotten more "smart" over the past ten years.  The age of episodic family sitcoms are mostly behind us, and for all the nostalgia they might bring to some, I'd argue that is a good thing.

Not to say there are negative, contrary trends.  I'd say TV over the past ten years has gone from a bell curve, with most shows being average with few extraordinarily great or bad ones, to a reverse bell curve.  We now have a ridiculously large number of bad shows, but also a large amount of fantastic ones.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/10/13 at 6:45 am

I'd argue it started with The Sopranos. That opened the floodgates being such a monster culturally.

Written By: Emman on 08/10/13 at 8:17 am

Don't forget The Walking Dead. ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/13 at 10:13 am

Well now,the 00s and 10s have something to be proud of.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/10/13 at 3:39 pm

I miss the REAL golden age of TV back in the days when you had good family quality entertainment sitcoms.

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 3:43 pm

Kids television: Probably the '90s

Mainstream television: Definitely the '00s, especially 2000-2006.

Written By: warped on 08/10/13 at 4:04 pm

I miss the REAL golden age of TV back in the days when you had good family quality entertainment sitcoms.

Me too Howard!

I miss the Golden age of TV which was the 60s and 70s.
TV is so bad now that most of my friends (my age) cancelled cable years ago and just watch old DVDs.
We have also cancelled cable. Nothing much to watch now, nothing interests me.

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 4:06 pm

Me too Howard!

TV is so bad now that most of my friends (my age) cancelled cable years ago and just watch old DVDs.

Supermarket Sweep

Written By: Howard on 08/10/13 at 4:58 pm

Me too Howard!

tv is so bad now and plus you have over 500 channels too with more crap.

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 5:03 pm

tv is so bad now and plus you have over 500 channels too with more crap.

It depends what you're watching. I've enjoyed some quality entertainment this year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/13 at 5:29 pm

Me too Howard!

I hear ya. Most of the shows that are on today are crap. We have Dish Network because we usually watch MSNBC most of time-and you need to have one of their higher packages to get it. There are a few shows that I find entertaining-like Storage Wars, Holmes on Homes, and Too Cute to name a few. But, I wouldn't say that they are OUTSTANDING shows and I wouldn't call them "Must see TV." I mainly watch them because I want to veg before going to bed and those are usually the only shows I can tolerate. Most of the shows today I can't stomach.

Cat

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 5:39 pm

I hear ya. Most of the shows that are on today are crap. We have Dish Network because we usually watch MSNBC most of time-and you need to have one of their higher packages to get it. There are a few shows that I find entertaining-like Storage Wars, Holmes on Homes, and Too Cute to name a few. But, I wouldn't say that they are OUTSTANDING shows and I wouldn't call them "Must see TV." I mainly watch them because I want to veg before going to bed and those are usually the only shows I can tolerate. Most of the shows today I can't stomach.

Cat

You don't even need a television package. It's 2013, a lot of companies such as CBS put material to watch on their official website.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/13 at 6:33 pm

Indeed we are in the Golden Age of TV.  With the likes of Storage Wars' Mary, Jenny, and Brandi...  :P

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9nncxtdd035GWImTntISJ6MqYzzNbqfPnVnp_5kkCQqrRPpGphttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIbEw5XouDw1h97frTXoLBWF95y0friXA016HsSqxkIn87oLhbhAhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAuhDafyY5foZgYXD6skXG_g1l2OwuBp-G8ZwunDMs94ZxYuho

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/13 at 6:41 pm

You don't even need a television package. It's 2013, a lot of companies such as CBS put material to watch on their official website.

I know that but my husband & I like to watch t.v. as we are sitting in the living room in the evening when the computer is off. We usually watch the Daily Show on line because it comes on so late.

Indeed we are in the Golden Age of TV.  With the likes of Storage Wars' Mary, Jenny, and Brandi...  :P

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9nncxtdd035GWImTntISJ6MqYzzNbqfPnVnp_5kkCQqrRPpGphttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIbEw5XouDw1h97frTXoLBWF95y0friXA016HsSqxkIn87oLhbhAhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAuhDafyY5foZgYXD6skXG_g1l2OwuBp-G8ZwunDMs94ZxYuho

I will give you Brandy & Jenny but Mary is  8-P .

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/10/13 at 6:44 pm

Cat

Not to mention Mrs. Dog

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/dog-the-bounty-hunter/images/beth-chapman.jpg

Written By: RG1995 on 08/10/13 at 6:46 pm

You're not really trying if your basing TV on Storage Wars/reality shows. There have never been so many complex dramas ever in TV history (and most of these are not generic courtroom/medical/cop shows).

Modern TV has a lot of garbage, but it isn't hard to find diamonds in it.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/10/13 at 6:48 pm

i haven't seen The Wire, but I have heard it was the best.  Anyone see it?

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 7:05 pm

You're not really trying if your basing TV on Storage Wars/reality shows. There have never been so many complex dramas ever in TV history (and most of these are not generic courtroom/medical/cop shows).

Modern TV has a lot of garbage, but it isn't hard to find diamonds in it.

Today's reality television has a lot of junk but from 2000-2007/08 there is a gold mine of entertainment.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/13 at 7:16 pm

Cat

Mary is my favorite of the three.  :-* :-*

Written By: Howard on 08/11/13 at 3:24 pm

It depends what you're watching. I've enjoyed some quality entertainment this year.

I did enjoy some new shows on tv.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/13 at 3:26 pm

Cat

My father misses the old tv when you had channels 2-13 instead of having 500 channels and you had family quality entertainment and I agree with what he said.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/13 at 3:27 pm

Today's reality television has a lot of junk but from 2000-2007/08 there is a gold mine of entertainment.

I agree.

Written By: Starde on 08/11/13 at 4:47 pm

The best writing right now in the industry is in television, especially cable (AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc.). Just finished watching all of The Sopranos (1999-2007) last night and my mind is still blown. I remember hearing a lot about it when it was still on the air back then and didn't get the hype. Well, now I do. That show really started and influenced the anti-hero in dramas like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. It'd be cool to see Tony Soprano, Walter White and Don Draper in a room together.

i haven't seen The Wire, but I have heard it was the best.  Anyone see it?

That's next on my list of dramas to watch. I know people who have seen it and they have nothing, but high praise for it. I constantly hear it's one of the greatest shows in tv history.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/11/13 at 7:09 pm

There's a gold mine now. The Sopranos changed TV for the better, no doubt.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/13 at 6:53 am

Would you rather go back to family sitcoms or reality shows?

You already know my answer. ;)

Written By: RG1995 on 08/12/13 at 12:50 pm

I'd rather watch better dramas, which is easily better today, tbh. And if you want comedy, Big Bang Theory, Louie, Veep (if you have HBO)

Written By: warped on 08/12/13 at 1:13 pm

Oh for sure Howard I'd rather go back to when the best TV was, in the 60s and 70s, ans some of the 80s.  I can't stomach most of the new shows today. Big reason why I cancelled cable, since TV is so bad these days. Not all of it, but more than most.

Law and Order was good. Big Bang theory is the only comedy that made me laugh in 20 years or so.

Written By: Jeff on 08/12/13 at 4:42 pm

I'd rather go back to reality shows

Written By: gibbo on 08/12/13 at 5:37 pm

Me too Howard!

I agree with this. I'm tired of the attempt to make it all so real that it's often disturbing to watch (the shock value). I'd argue that there is little to no family entertainment anymore at all (on TV).

Written By: Howard on 08/12/13 at 7:14 pm

I'd rather watch better dramas, which is easily better today, tbh. And if you want comedy, Big Bang Theory, Louie, Veep (if you have HBO)

I liked family sitcoms such as Family Ties, Different Strokes, Cosby Show and Webster.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/13 at 7:18 pm

Oh for sure Howard I'd rather go back to when the best TV was, in the 60s and 70s, ans some of the 80s.  I can't stomach most of the new shows today. Big reason why I cancelled cable, since TV is so bad these days. Not all of it, but more than most.

Law and Order was good. Big Bang theory is the only comedy that made me laugh in 20 years or so.

You can watch family sitcoms on Antenna TV.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/13 at 7:19 pm

I agree with this. I'm tired of the attempt to make it all so real that it's often disturbing to watch (the shock value). I'd argue that there is little to no family entertainment anymore at all (on TV).

the question is, what happened to television? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/12/13 at 7:27 pm

Justified is the best show I've seen in years, but it seems like I'm the only one who's ever heard of it.  :-\\

Written By: RG1995 on 08/13/13 at 1:50 am

Have you ever watched or tried to watch these shows:

Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Dexter, House of Cards, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, The Newsroom

or (if comedy is your thing):

Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Community, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Veep, Louie, How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Recreation

All of these are on the air, and if you can't like it just because it isn't a thirty minute family sitcom, than you'll probably never like any new show.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/13 at 5:58 am

You don't see shows like Manimal on TV any more.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/images/sept2012/manimal_1983_2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/13/13 at 6:35 am

Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Community, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Veep, Louie, How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Recreation

I love The Big Bang Theory, that's pretty funny and I do watch How I Met Your Mother once in a while.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/13 at 6:40 am

You don't see shows like Manimal on TV any more.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/images/sept2012/manimal_1983_2.jpg

Nope, you don't see shows like that anymore.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/13/13 at 11:44 am

Nope, you don't see shows like that anymore.

Yeah, what ever happened to quality TV programming? ???

Written By: Jeff on 08/13/13 at 5:31 pm

What happened? It enjoyed it's golden age from 2000 until about 2007 or 2008 but still pushes out some good shows. For today, I recommend British television.

Written By: Jeff on 08/13/13 at 5:32 pm

There's still diamonds in the rough.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/13 at 7:18 pm

I think it went down the crapper.

Written By: warped on 08/13/13 at 7:24 pm

;D ;D ;D

Howard sometimes you make me laugh. Thanks.

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/13 at 8:38 pm

Nothing happened to it.  If I cruise the channels during prime time, I can find plenty of good shows

Written By: Howard on 08/14/13 at 6:45 am

Nothing happened to it.  If I cruise the channels during prime time, I can find plenty of good shows

I understand but TV back then had basic simple channels (2-13) back then there were no 500 channels.

Written By: Howard on 08/14/13 at 6:45 am

;D ;D ;D

Howard sometimes you make me laugh. Thanks.

You're Welcome.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/13 at 1:49 pm

Am I seeing a bit of a generational bias here?

Those over 35 think tv today stinks, those under (like me) think it's fine, or at least bearable (minus the reality tv shows)!

Written By: Howard on 08/15/13 at 7:10 am

I was living in the Golden Age of TV for a few minutes as there is this website for us old schoolers as you can watch retro tv programs for free.

http://www.retro-cafe.com/80s/80stv.htm#.UgzFJ39TD0Q

Written By: warped on 08/15/13 at 11:58 am

Am I seeing a bit of a generational bias here?

Those over 35 think tv today stinks, those under (like me) think it's fine, or at least bearable (minus the reality tv shows)!

Maybe people just think the "golden age of TV" is what they grow up watching. For me it's 70s stuff into early 80s, for the young people here it's what's on now.

Having said that, I doubt everyone over 35 thinks TV stinks today. It's just a matter of opinion.
The young people today believe this is the Golden age of TV...whereas I think this

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/13 at 12:06 pm

Usually the "Golden Age" of anything is in the early years when it is new, and like the wild west.  Things in the early days of anything are more experimental, less controlled.  These days everything is pretty much controlled, and more derivative than experimental.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/15/13 at 12:36 pm

If you into action/adventure and sci-fi/fantasy shows, then yes, it is a golden age.

Written By: Howard on 08/15/13 at 1:37 pm

Most of the shows that we used to watch are now on Antenna TV.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/15/13 at 1:48 pm

Usually the "Golden Age" of anything is in the early years when it is new, and like the wild west.  Things in the early days of anything are more experimental, less controlled.  These days everything is pretty much controlled, and more derivative than experimental.
We do live in an age of experimentation with cable showing ambitious dramas like Breaking Bad/Mad Men/Louie doing so well, when none of them would've been shown on the air 15 years ago. Premium channels are continuing to have success with shows post-Sopranos. Netflix/Internet TV is huge with House of Cards and Arrested Development.

It isn't people under-35 who are saying it's the Golden Age of TV. Is Mad Men for younger people? TV critics are:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/filmblog/2013/aug/02/television-golden-age-hollywood-film
http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/books/Third+Golden+reframed+small+screen/8712000/story.html
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100227955/breaking-bad-game-of-thrones-borgen-this-is-the-golden-age-of-tv-series-except-at-the-lifeless-bbc/
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/21/cable_tv_to_the_rescue_will_the_quality_subscription_model_work_for_books_movies_music/

All legitimate/famous news organizations calling it that.

Written By: Jeff on 08/15/13 at 6:15 pm

For crime series, the 80s would be the golden age (Magnum PI, Knight Rider)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/16/13 at 3:45 am

The 70's were the golden age for sitcoms.

The 80's were the golden age for action shows and soap operas.

The 90's were the golden age for kid shows and a second golden age for sitcoms.

The 00's were the golden for reality and drama shows.

Written By: xris on 08/12/18 at 2:55 pm

Updating this, many of the shows listed in OP like Mad Men and Dexter have since been cancelled. A turn for worse TV or sth just as good is coming? What's your take guys and gals? I think Disney Channel is kinda stale these days, only the Raven show is watchable there.

Written By: Dundee on 08/12/18 at 3:29 pm

The 80's were the golden age for action shows and soap operas.

Exactly why this was a mediocre decade for tv ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/13/18 at 5:47 am

Exactly why this was a mediocre decade for tv ;D

I definitely miss The Golden Age Of TV.

Written By: Dundee on 08/13/18 at 5:52 am

Well, we're in it haha ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/18 at 5:52 am

Some of the old television programs are the best!

Written By: Howard on 08/13/18 at 6:16 am

Some of the old television programs are the best!

family sitcoms are the best.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/18 at 6:35 am

family sitcoms are the best.
Where you heard the funny dialogue for the first time.

Written By: xris on 08/13/18 at 3:59 pm

Early 2010s TV shows saved me from depression.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/13/18 at 8:39 pm

Depending on what you define as good; it seems we've to enter a new gaudy era of television akin to the 1980s. Below is my thread topic pertaining to the changing television landscape within the last two years, aka in the 'Trump era'. If you want to check it out or contribute, you're free to do so, but essentially theres a drift in marketing between the 'Old heads' in major television studios that have embarked in a more right-wing/family values direction (to capture the nostalgia of the 80s/90s), while streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.) & Premium services (HBO, AMC, etc.) are pushing the boundaries.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56023.0

Written By: Howard on 08/14/18 at 7:57 am

Where you heard the funny dialogue for the first time.

and the laugh track.

Check for new replies or respond here...