inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lady Gaga releases new single "Applause"

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/13 at 11:50 am

Lady Gaga has released her new single ahead of schedule. For those who have heard it, thoughts? This will probably be the biggest song of 2013, but I still don't think it matches up with stuff from the Fame era.

Subject: Re: Lady Gaga releases new single "Applause"

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/13 at 1:47 pm

It was better than I thought it would be. As much as I don't have a problem with people being who they are, the whole theme got old and glad she went into another direction.

Written By: Creeder on 08/14/13 at 2:53 pm

There is a huge rivalry between ''Applause'' and Katy Perry's "Roar''. The lone victor would be the Queen of the 10's.

Written By: Jeff on 08/14/13 at 3:28 pm

Lady Gaga has released her new single ahead of schedule. For those who have heard it, thoughts? This will probably be the biggest song of 2013, but I still don't think it matches up with stuff from the Fame era.

It doesn't matter if it "matches up" to the Fane Era. If it's a big song of 2013, then she's been culturally relevant for at least FOUR years of the 10s against only 2008 and 2009. Meaning, she is a 10s artist, not an 00s artist. By your logic, someone born on December 31st, 2009 must have truly experienced the 00s.

Written By: m83 on 08/14/13 at 3:33 pm

This is the kind of music that makes me abhor consumerism, and miss the 90's.  Kids today are a bunch of braindead zombies.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/13 at 3:34 pm

Awful.... This is not going to be the best song of 2013.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/13 at 4:52 pm

Awful.... This is not going to be the best song of 2013.

Personally, I liked the Artpop (We Could We Could) demo that leaked better than this song.  Hopefully it ends up on the album.

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/13 at 5:07 pm

You people talk about Lady Gaga like every song she releases is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.  She's a singer.  She has hits and misses.  Enjoy the music, don't analyze it ;)

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/13 at 5:58 pm

You people talk about Lady Gaga like every song she releases is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.  She's a singer.  She has hits and misses.  Enjoy the music, don't analyze it ;)

Well its Gaga. She set that bar for herself.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/13 at 6:13 pm

Eminem just released a new single called Survival. This will probably be a pretty big song for 2013 especially because it's Eminem's comeback since 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Af8RrmLPY

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/14/13 at 6:46 pm

There is a huge rivalry between ''Applause'' and Katy Perry's "Roar''. The lone victor would be the Queen of the 10's.

Roar is boring.  Applause is a pretty cool song, though I hope that the album has better songs on it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/14/13 at 7:01 pm

I can't wait until her collabo with Ke$ha is released.  8)

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/13 at 9:01 pm

Roar is boring.  Applause is a pretty cool song, though I hope that the album has better songs on it.

Personally I like Roar better than Applause.

Gaga's songs from 2008 and 2009 were some of the best songs in the history of music, and yes I mean that.  Applause simply doesn't measure up in my opinion.  I really think its going to be hard to near impossible though for Gaga or anybody to top songs like Just Dance, Paparazzi, Poker Face, and Bad Romance.

Written By: Jeff on 08/14/13 at 9:25 pm

Gaga's songs from 2008 and 2009 were some of the best songs in the history of music, and yes I mean that.  Applause simply doesn't measure up in my opinion.  I really think its going to be hard to near impossible though for Gaga or anybody to top songs like Just Dance, Paparazzi, Poker Face, and Bad Romance.

They are not some of the best songs in the history of music. As I've discussed with you, chart positions at the time of release do not always guarentee historical value.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/14/13 at 9:48 pm

They are not some of the best songs in the history of music. As I've discussed with you, chart positions at the time of release do not always guarentee historical value.

Right.  Gaga's early songs are some of the best songs and most historically significant songs despite not having done as well on the pop charts as many other songs.  Lady Gaga changed music and changed pop culture.  We are just now starting to realize the direction in which she shifted culture.

By the way, I am not arguing whether she is an '00s or '10s artist in this thread.  Either way, she is the biggest artist of our time.  She deserves her spot in history next to the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, and Madonna.

Written By: Jquar on 08/15/13 at 1:08 am

Bigger than Thrift Shop or Can't Hold Us or Harlem Shake or Blurred Lines? I doubt it.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/15/13 at 2:40 am

Not really.

Written By: Jeff on 08/15/13 at 5:44 pm

Right.  Gaga's early songs are some of the best songs and most historically significant songs despite not having done as well on the pop charts as many other songs.  Lady Gaga changed music and changed pop culture.  We are just now starting to realize the direction in which she shifted culture.

By the way, I am not arguing whether she is an '00s or '10s artist in this thread.  Either way, she is the biggest artist of our time.  She deserves her spot in history next to the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, and Madonna.

No. Eminem dominated the 00s when nobody even knew Lady Gaga.

Written By: XYkid on 08/15/13 at 5:48 pm

I actually enjoy it, it's pretty catchy. I can't wait to hear it in the clubs when I go dancing.

Written By: m83 on 08/15/13 at 7:21 pm

I can't wait until her collabo with Ke$ha is released.  8)

Yuck! 

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/15/13 at 7:31 pm

Roar has weak lyrics and a weak beat; it's basically Katy Perry with the fun stripped out.

Gaga's songs from 2008 and 2009 were some of the best songs in the history of music, and yes I mean that.

How much music have you listened to in your lifetime?

Written By: Jeff on 08/15/13 at 7:38 pm

Roar has weak lyrics and a weak beat; it's basically Katy Perry with the fun stripped out.

How much music have you listened to in your lifetime?

Exactly. If you think Lady Gaga is amongst the best of all time, I find it hard to believe that you've listened to a lot of music.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/16/13 at 12:47 am

I'm not that impressed, it's really generic and basically seems like an inferior version of some of her previous work.

Written By: Tam on 08/16/13 at 12:54 am

WHAT?
*face palm*

Written By: Howard on 08/16/13 at 3:13 pm

WHAT?
*face palm*

I agree Tam, Lady Gaga shouldn't be in the category with Madonna, Beatles and Michael Jackson.

Written By: warped on 08/16/13 at 3:26 pm

I agree Tam, Lady Gaga shouldn't be in the category with Madonna, Beatles and Michael Jackson.

I wouldn't even put MJ & Madonna is the same class as the Beatles and Stones. I'd put Elvis with the Stones and Beatles, and that's about it.  But everyone has their opinion. Lots of teens and tweens think Justin Bieber is better than the Beatles...thanks for the laughs, kids.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/16/13 at 4:26 pm

I wouldn't even put MJ & Madonna is the same class as the Beatles and Stones. I'd put Elvis with the Stones and Beatles, and that's about it.  But everyone has their opinion. Lots of teens and tweens think Justin Bieber is better than the Beatles...thanks for the laughs, kids.

I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan, but the guy can write/sing/dance. He actually deserves to be up there with the Beatles and the Stones. He's probably one of the few pop stars that I respect.

I wouldn't put Madonna and Michael Jackson together in the same sentence though, because Madonna was/is good marketing and not talent.

And of course, if you disagree, that's fine. :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/13 at 5:01 pm

Is Lady Gaga a talent?  Sure.  Is she in the same class as Michael Jackson and The Beatles?  No.  Will she ever be?  At this point, it is way to early to tell.  We won't know that for atleast another 20 years or so, but I think all signs are going to point to no

Lots of teens and tweens think Justin Bieber is better than the Beatles...thanks for the laughs, kids.

Justin Bieber is better than the Beatles ... at making sucky music that sounds like someone taking a dump lol
The Beatles were awesome.  It would be awesome if Justin Bieber fell off a cliff :D

Written By: warped on 08/16/13 at 8:32 pm

It would be awesome if Justin Bieber fell off a cliff :D

I know, I can't stand the guy, his music isn't good at all, but believe it or not I can tolerate his music more than I can Laga gaga's or wacko jacko's.  It's less irritating.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/16/13 at 9:56 pm

I know, I can't stand the guy, his music isn't good at all, but believe it or not I can tolerate his music more than I can Laga gaga's or wacko jacko's.  It's less irritating.

Just as long as you don't touch Justin's beaver.  :-\\

http://co.laplata.co.us/sites/default/files/departments/lwab/images/beaver3.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/17/13 at 6:34 am

It would be awesome if Justin Bieber fell off a cliff

Who knows? maybe that'll happen and you'd get your wish.

Written By: Jeff on 08/22/13 at 6:38 pm

It may not chart as high as other singles, but it has cracked the top ten. Lady Gaga is relevant for at least FOUR YEARS of the '10s confirmed now! More years than the '00s!

Check for new replies or respond here...