inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The New School Year Begins - Shots Fired

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/13 at 1:58 pm

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-police-chief-responds-incident-elementary-s/nZTRH/

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

Channel 2 Action News has confirmed that one person is in custody after shots were fired at a DeKalb County elementary school.

The DeKalb County school board chairman said there was an active shooter at Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy. Channel 2 Action News has confirmed with multiple sources that the suspect is a white man in his 20s who was armed with an AK-47 and dressed in black. Sources say he surrendered peacefully.

Subject: Re: The New School Year Begins - Shots Fired

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/13 at 11:54 pm

Flak jackets before Labor Day?  Tsk Tsk!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/21/13 at 10:20 am

Antoinette Tuff... how cool a name is that? How appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKngEGI3HU

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/21/13 at 6:47 pm

It's reading news stories like that that really get me to despair over the state of our society. You'd have to be seriously f***ed up in the head to wake up one day and think, "I think I'll go shoot up an elementary school today." I'm also starting to think they get encouragement from other lunatics shooting up public venues being scrutinized by the media. It's getting to the point where students probably start off their days at school thinking, "Am I going to get shot today?"

Written By: 80sfan on 08/21/13 at 8:18 pm

In all honesty, I think it's a two way street. Yeah the shooters are jerks, but who gives them the attention? US, the readers of the news. We make videos on youtube about them, write research papers about them, publish books on how their minds work, comment about them on news articles online, and sometimes make documentaries about them.

So not only are the shooters perverse, but we also give attention to people who don't necessarily deserve it.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/21/13 at 9:27 pm

In all honesty, I think it's a two way street. Yeah the shooters are jerks, but who gives them the attention? US, the readers of the news. We make videos on youtube about them, write research papers about them, publish books on how their minds work, comment about them on news articles online, and sometimes make documentaries about them.

So not only are the shooters perverse, but we also give attention to people who don't necessarily deserve it.

That's what I think part of the problem is. A lot of people crave attention, be it good attention or bad attention. That's why I think the media should stop covering these people so much. Ditto for teen suicides.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/21/13 at 10:32 pm

That's what I think part of the problem is. A lot of people crave attention, be it good attention or bad attention. That's why I think the media should stop covering these people so much. Ditto for teen suicides.

Yeah, those shooters/bombers are still very twisted though. Hurting people just for fame. Maybe they have other issues, like mental illness! Who knows.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/13 at 7:21 am

It seems like almost every day you hear about school shootings. Whatever happened to Peace, Love & Understanding?  ???

Written By: Katluver on 08/23/13 at 12:50 am

Sometimes I wonder if it's the culture that we're living in is partly the blame for all these shootings---social isolation from all this technology, video games, dark reading material such as The Hunger Games. It seems like kids are becoming more and more warped from reality and thinking that it's all a game.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/13 at 7:11 am

Antoinette Tuff... how cool a name is that? How appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKngEGI3HU

Hi I'm Tuff.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/23/13 at 7:11 am

Maybe they get the idea from watching a lot of violent shows.

Check for new replies or respond here...