inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the 90s revival be hip-hop―centered?

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 08/21/13 at 1:18 am

90's comebacks have started to break out of internet forums and bubble up here and there in mainstream media. Nineties fashions are increasingly recycled and scattered attempts to invoke 90's pride have started showing up in popular music.

While most of these revivals tend to pander to their respective subcultures, I've noticed alot of the nineties references seem to be centered on the hip hop scene.

So far I've seen John Lennon sunglasses, bucket hats, colored tank tops, Timbalands, 90's style hoodies, snap back hats and Dada outfits all make returns.

If I had to describe modern hip-hop fashion in one word it would be "boyish." Shirts and pants are becoming medium-sized, things like shorts and denim jackets are becoming acceptable hip-hop wear. Overall it seem to be breaking away from the near androgyny of dance-pop era, while continuing to avoid the overly macho thug-ness of pre-2008 rap.

The only real competing 90's trend appears to be (non-subcultural) women's fashion, high-waisted jeans, platform sneakers and overalls all making recent comebacks. In both cases, "vintage" seems to be the keyword. Co-opting "unthreatening" yet creative fashions, with emphasis on "freshness," appears to be the trend.

What do you think? Will hip-hop be on the forefront of a nineties comeback, or will some other group take over?

Subject: Re: Will the 90s revival be hip-hop―centered?

Written By: Creeder on 08/21/13 at 2:01 am

Hip-hop, grunge and bad eurodance music.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/22/13 at 9:26 am

The 90s stuff tends to be more niche compared to the '70s-'80s stuff where a larger portion enjoyed. I myself preferred classic rock/oldies in the '90s itself compared to the new stuff. But to me '90s music is a mix of many sounds, from hip-hop (the gangsta variety as opposed to cheesy, old school '80s or glam/ringtone '00s-type rap), certain smooth R&B with some hip-hop influences, grunge rock, teeny pop-rock later in the decade, along with some dance pop in the vein of the Macarena, some Eurodance, and some "Jock Jams" (like the song "Are You Ready for This?), with a side of some AC in the vein of Mariah Carey/Celine Dion. It was a more diverse decade than what the '80s ever offered, even though that had some good underground genres.

Then again, the '90s had a lot of '70s inspiration (Platform Shoes, John Lennon sunglasses, some of the hip-hop songs that were sampled), so traces of that "grandfathered" decade may even appear.

Written By: Jeff on 08/22/13 at 3:03 pm

I myself preferred classic rock/oldies in the '90s itself compared to the new stuff.

That's actually quite normal. In any decade itself, people need time to "get to know" that new songs/artists, whereas material from previous decades are/become established "classics" and it's easier to appreciate them more.

In the 00s, I preferred the 80s music more than the 00s music, but now that we are in the mid-10s, the 00s is starting to look better, especially the early 00s.

Written By: UnderwaterEdge on 08/22/13 at 5:47 pm

Hip-hop, grunge and bad eurodance music.

I liked the europop/dance music.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/22/13 at 7:35 pm

Hip-hop has never died and was more mainstream in the '00s than it was in the '90s.  You can't revive something that hasn't died or at least faded.  The '90s revival I don't think will be musical.  We are already seeing it though in fashion and in technology (retro is cool). 

Written By: Jeff on 08/22/13 at 8:45 pm

Hip-hop has never died and was more mainstream in the '00s than it was in the '90s.  You can't revive something that hasn't died or at least faded.  The '90s revival I don't think will be musical.  We are already seeing it though in fashion and in technology (retro is cool).

Just because the revival might not be hip hop doesn't mean it can't be musical. The Seattle bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden are likely to be seen as "cool" if they aren't already.  Also, hip hop may have been "more mainstream" in the 00s, but the '90s was it's "big break". Think of artists such as Biggie Smalls.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/22/13 at 11:26 pm

Lyrical hip-hop is currently experiencing a revival with artists like Macklemore.  From 2006 on, it was increasingly just a bunch of nursery rhymes with no flow or depth.

I would love to see a form of grunge, or maybe even metal, make a comeback in the mainstream.

Electronic dance music needs to take a break, as it is completely played out.  Unless it moved to something wildly different like psytrance or industrial, it needs to be put aside for the next thirty years or so.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 08/23/13 at 1:43 am

The interesting is about the returning fashions is that the whole decade's getting jumbled together with seemingly no focus:

http://www.castanet.net/content/2013/7/bang_11924_p.jpg
http://www.upscalehype.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Drake-wears-Dada-jersey-and-shorts-on-No-New-Friends-Video-Shoot-Rick-Ross-DJ-Khaled-3-308x308.jpg
http://www.marksuknanan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bieber90s.png
http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/image/SIG=138bp7k7v/EXP=1377311244;_ylt=A7dPeDSLyBZSlkwACrWU3uV7;_ylu=X3oDMTAyN3Vldmc1BDAD;_ylc=X3IDMgRmc3QDMARpZHgDMARvaWQDQU5kOUdjUjJJRVJKNGNMUzdQc1BENGNYTXQ0R0lRdjhGSlZhRFZ3T24zRElhRjY4SWNaazA2Y191WTNSaGxvBHADYkdWaGRHaGxjaUJqYVdGeVlRLS0EcG9zAzE4BHNlYwNzaHcEc2xrA3Nmc3Q-/*-http%3A//photos.posh24.com/p/1377486/z/ashley_olsen/ciara_leather_pants_black_crop.jpg
http://style.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/style/2012/08/jay-z-brooklyn-nets.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dY0Pj4Lkg1o/T7HUsLonwoI/AAAAAAAABLY/Bauou3xtpU8/s1600/rihanna-hollywood1.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0sn96Czmt1qfoavio1_500.jpg

Written By: Jeff on 08/23/13 at 10:41 pm

^ Of course it will get jumbled together. Whether it's light-up sneakers or hammer pants. Whether it's what you were wearing on January 1st, 1990 or December 31st, 1999, it's all 90s, it's all relevant together.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/13 at 10:45 pm

^ Of course it will get jumbled together. Whether it's light-up sneakers or hammer pants. Whether it's what you were wearing on January 1st, 1990 or December 31st, 1999, it's all 90s, it's all relevant together.

But do the styles of 1990 reflect those of 1999 and if people were wearing those styles in 2005, how does that correlate to the style of the 90s?

Written By: Jeff on 08/23/13 at 10:48 pm

But do the styles of 1990 reflect those of 1999 and if people were wearing those styles in 2005, how does that correlate to the style of the 90s?

Who cares? 1990 is the 90s. 1999 is the 90s. That simple. Even if some people wore light up sneakers or hammer pants in 2005, they weren't fashionable then.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/13 at 10:53 pm

Who cares? 1990 is the 90s. 1999 is the 90s. That simple. Even if some people wore light up sneakers or hammer pants in 2005, they weren't fashionable then.

But that's not what I asked.  You didn't answer the question

Written By: Jeff on 08/23/13 at 11:30 pm

But that's not what I asked.  You didn't answer the question

What more is there to say. 1990 and 1999 are both from the 90s.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/13 at 11:41 pm

What more is there to say. 1990 and 1999 are both from the 90s.

ANSWER THE QUESTION

Written By: Jeff on 08/24/13 at 1:11 am

ANSWER THE QUESTION

1990 and 1999 are both part of the '90s. What more do you want?

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 08/24/13 at 2:54 am

1990 and 1999 are both part of the '90s. What more do you want?

You need a registered account to answer questions.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/13 at 6:55 am

You need a registered account to answer questions.

That's right.

Written By: joeman on 08/29/13 at 8:25 am

No, I do not want Grunge or Gangsta Rap to come back.  I really like the direction of today's music and it should stay that way.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 08/29/13 at 9:18 pm

No, I do not want Grunge or Gangsta Rap to come back.  I really like the direction of today's music and it should stay that way.

I don't either, but I've noticed that Westcoast Gangsta seems to be the one 90's hip-hop fashion style that the revivalists are completely leaving behind. And most of the "retro" rappers out now, like the Cool Kids, are basing their style on alternative groups like ATCQ and Eric B & Rakim. Not NWA etc

Grunge nostalgia seems to be limited to reunion tours and a few watered-down fashion throwbacks. I don't see it coming back in any big way.

Written By: Jeff on 08/29/13 at 11:47 pm

I don't either, but I've noticed that Westcoast Gangsta seems to be the one 90's hip-hop fashion style that the revivalists are completely leaving behind. And most of the "retro" rappers out now, like the Cool Kids, are basing their style on alternative groups like ATCQ and Eric B & Rakim. Not NWA etc

Grunge nostalgia seems to be limited to reunion tours and a few watered-down fashion throwbacks. I don't see it coming back in any big way.

Soundgarden is back

Written By: joeman on 08/30/13 at 12:58 am

I'll be down for 90s rap like Gangstar and the Roots, which weren't really about gangsta rap.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 08/30/13 at 1:20 pm

The likelihood of grunge coming back in its original form is unlikely.  But I wouldn't mind if grunge-esque music (contemplative and/or psychedelic hard rock) did make a comeback.  Stuff like Collective Soul and Temple of the Dog.

Written By: Jeff on 08/30/13 at 2:15 pm

The likelihood of grunge coming back in its original form is unlikely.  But I wouldn't mind if grunge-esque music (contemplative and/or psychedelic hard rock) did make a comeback.  Stuff like Collective Soul and Temple of the Dog.

Have you ever heard of Soundgarden? Grunge is already back.

Written By: joeman on 08/31/13 at 11:52 am

Have you ever heard of Soundgarden? Grunge is already back.

We all know Soundgarden, but there hasn't been anything new that they released.  I remember a year or two ago they released a new single but it didn't go so well.  The last Grunge/Post Grunge song that did well was IMO Bush -Sound of Winter and that was made in 2011 I believe.  Otherwise, the genre is pretty much dead and burned out. 

Written By: bchris02 on 09/02/13 at 3:56 pm

Personally I think culture has never strayed far enough away from the '90s to warrant a revival.  Yes there are differences, but the 1990s were far more different from the 1970s than the 2010s are from the '90s.  Most of today's culture has evolved from trends started in the '90s.  The '90s brought us hip-hop as well as America's first taste of electropop, then as cheesy euro-dance.  Most '90s sitcoms like Friends still hold up decently today. If there is a '90s revival, it will be hardly noticeable in today's culture.

Written By: Emman on 09/02/13 at 8:08 pm

Personally I think culture has never strayed far enough away from the '90s to warrant a revival.  Yes there are differences, but the 1990s were far more different from the 1970s than the 2010s are from the '90s.  Most of today's culture has evolved from trends started in the '90s.  The '90s brought us hip-hop as well as America's first taste of electropop, then as cheesy euro-dance.  Most '90s sitcoms like Friends still hold up decently today. If there is a '90s revival, it will be hardly noticeable in today's culture.

It seems the 1970s are more different from the 1950s than the 1990s are from the 1970s too, nothing after the '60s has ever compared since.

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:21 pm

We all know Soundgarden, but there hasn't been anything new that they released.  I remember a year or two ago they released a new single but it didn't go so well.  The last Grunge/Post Grunge song that did well was IMO Bush -Sound of Winter and that was made in 2011 I believe.  Otherwise, the genre is pretty much dead and burned out.

Black Rain - single released in 2010 - included on Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock and a Grammy nomination
King Animal - studio album released in 2012 - reached #5 on the US Billboard Albums 200

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:23 pm

It seems the 1970s are more different from the 1950s than the 1990s are from the 1970s too, nothing after the '60s has ever compared since.

This sounds like decadeology.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 8:26 pm

This sounds like decadeology.

Members new to this board such as yourself do not generally know about decadeology, and if they do, they don't throw around accusations of it like you just did.  Don't you people ever learn?  Jezus

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:30 pm

Members new to this board such as yourself do not generally know about decadeology, and if they do, they don't throw around accusations of it like you just did.  Don't you people ever learn?  Jezus

They were saying the differences between decade x and decade y were more than the differences between decade y and decade z. Sounds like decadeology to me, which is banned. Maybe you could learn that decadeology isn't accepted on this site.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 8:35 pm

They were saying the differences between decade x and decade y were more than the differences between decade y and decade z. Sounds like decadeology to me, which is banned. Maybe you could learn that decadeology isn't accepted on this site.

You seem to recognize decadeology, as if you are all too familiar with it.  Are you here to try to cause trouble?  I don't know, and at this point, I no longer care.  If decadeology exists, report it to a moderator.  It will be dealt with

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:37 pm

You seem to recognize decadeology, as if you are all too familiar with it.  Are you here to try to cause trouble?  I don't know, and at this point, I no longer care.  If decadeology exists, report it to a moderator.  It will be dealt with

There is a "thread" that clearly states that decadeology is banned. If there's any trouble brewing, it's the comparing of decade x to decade y to decade z. Quit it, please.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 8:41 pm

There is a "thread" that clearly states that decadeology is banned. If there's any trouble brewing, it's the comparing of decade x to decade y to decade z. Quit it, please.

I was not aware.  Tell me more

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:43 pm

I was not aware.  Tell me more

About what? Decadeology? Because I think this thread could get back on topic now.

Back on topic, I think we'll have a better idea of what influences the 90s culture will have around 2015.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 8:44 pm

About what? Decadeology?

Yes

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:47 pm

Yes

if you can access inthe00s > Pop Culture > The 2010's (you can see it somewhere on your screen if you're in the correct place) there is a "thread" called "Decadeology - what it is and why it is banned! Please read." in bold letters. If you'd like to know more, that could help you out.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I'm not sure that hip hop will be the center of the "revival".

Written By: warped on 09/02/13 at 8:49 pm

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 8:53 pm

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Hmm. Michael Jackson's an interesting thought. He did have some hits in the '90s ('80s too, but also '90s) and he died fairly recently (2009) so he may have somewhat of a "revival", he may not (again, '80s). He wouldn't be the "center" of it though.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 8:59 pm

if you can access inthe00s > Pop Culture > The 2010's (you can see it somewhere on your screen if you're in the correct place) there is a "thread" called "Decadeology - what it is and why it is banned! Please read." in bold letters. If you'd like to know more, that could help you out.

But it doesn't say who caused it?

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 9:02 pm

But it doesn't say who caused it?

Who's to say only one person/group of people at a particular time caused it? More than one person at more than one time may have caused it. Either way, there's no need for it on this website. Decadeology is banned and it is banned for a reason.

Written By: warped on 09/02/13 at 9:03 pm

Who's to say only one person caused it? More than one person may have caused it. Either way, there's no need for it on this website. Decadeology is banned and it is banned for a reason.

Why is it banned? What's the reason?

Hmm. Michael Jackson's an interesting thought. He did have some hits in the '90s ('80s too, but also '90s) and he died fairly recently (2009) so he may have somewhat of a "revival", he may not (again, '80s). He wouldn't be the "center" of it though.

80s, 90s, 2009..80s again. Is this decadeology? Should you ban yourself then?

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 9:06 pm

You could just read the "thread" yourself, but if you must request here, because you can find many differences between decade x, y, z and allowing such discussion can lead to endless threads that don't achieve anything substantial.

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 9:08 pm

80s, 90s, 2009..80s again. Is this decadeology? Should you ban yourself then?

Nowhere in that post was I comparing the amount of similarities/differences between 80s, 90s or 2009.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 9:09 pm

You could just read the "thread" yourself, but if you must request here, because you can find many differences between decade x, y, z and allowing such discussion can lead to endless threads that don't achieve anything substantial.

But why did you point out that one post as potential decadeology.  You obviously read that thread, but how did you know to do that being so new to these boards?

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/02/13 at 9:12 pm

But why did you point out that one post as potential decadeology.  You obviously read that thread, but how did you know to do that being so new to these boards?

The "thread" was in bold and said "please read", and then when I read the post comparing which decade x had more/less differences between decades y and z, I just decided to point out to the user that they were posting potential decadeology.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/13 at 9:25 pm

Sorry guys. I tried to let you have a thread to discuss stuff in you were being well behaved so I left it alone.

Unfortunately a "new" joined  and immediately turned this to a discussion about decadeology  moreover they decided to argue publicly with a moderator. 

I can't let that stand. Therefore this topic is now locked.

Go fudge love Triangle for stirring the hornets nest.

Check for new replies or respond here...