inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's Disease

Written By: Claybricks on 08/23/13 at 9:11 pm

Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's Disease

Brian Mansfield, Special for USA TODAY 6:20 p.m. EDT August 23, 2013

The Grammy-winning singer revealed her condition to AARP Friday.

Parkinson's Disease has left Linda Ronstadt unable to sing.

The 67-year-old singer, who will publish her memoir, Simple Dreams, next month, revealed her condition Friday in an interview with AARP.

The singer of such '70s and '80s hits as You're No Good, Hurt So Bad and Don't Know Much now uses poles to assist her when walking on uneven ground and travels with a wheelchair. She says she was diagnosed with the neurological disorder eight months ago, though she began experiencing symptoms, including hand tremors and trouble controlling the muscles that let her sing, several years ago. She says she initially attributed her problems to the residual effects of a tick bite and shoulder surgery.

"I think I've had it for seven or eight years already, because of the symptoms that I've had," the 11-time Grammy winner tells interviewer Alanna Nash. Ronstadt's last album was 2006's Adieu False Heart with Cajun musician Ann Savoy.

"No one can sing with Parkinson's disease," she says. "No matter how hard you try."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/23/linda-ronstadt-parkinsons-disease/2694053/

Dan

Subject: Re: Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's Disease

Written By: Dagwood on 08/23/13 at 10:50 pm

:(

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/23/13 at 11:12 pm

Oh, this is so awful!  What an awesome woman with an amazing gift!  They just don't make 'em like Linda anymore.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/24/13 at 6:56 am

Man that's so sad, she's been singing for 35 years and she had a beautiful voice.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/13 at 6:59 am

Sad news to hear, but remember Michael J Fox has Parkinson's Disease and his film career has continued by using only his voice.

Written By: warped on 08/24/13 at 7:06 am

This is very sad news for me.
Not only do I love her songs, I also think she has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard in my life. If she were 25 to 30 years old today, she would dominate any artist. I really can't think of any female singer over the last 50 years who has a nicer voice than hers.

I also think she was one of the most beautiful women who ever walked our planet, back in the 60s and 70s when she was famous.

:\'(

"No one can sing with Parkinson's disease," Ronstadt told AARP music writer Alanna Nash. "No matter how hard you try."

"Ronstadt now uses poles to walk on uneven ground and a wheelchair when traveling, the AARP story said."

She was my #1 female rock star crush of the 1970s.  This news has made me very sad. 

Written By: ninny on 08/24/13 at 8:09 am

This is very sad news, she was one of the best female artist ever. :\'(

Written By: warped on 08/24/13 at 10:52 am

http://cf.sketchfu.com/i/232621.png

Written By: Howard on 08/24/13 at 2:50 pm

Sad news to hear, but remember Michael J Fox has Parkinson's Disease and his film career has continued by using only his voice.

I know, he was trying to keep his shaking under control. :(

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/24/13 at 3:01 pm

This is really sad, just awful.

And I don't know much about Parkinson's Disease but I'm hoping there is some kind of treatment for it.

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/13 at 3:36 pm

This is very sad news to me.  I really like her singing. The 1982 album Get Closer is still one of my all-time favourites.  I still listen to it often!

Man that's so sad, she's been singing for 35 years and she had a beautiful voice.  :(

She's been singing longer than that. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/13 at 3:44 pm

"No one can sing with Parkinson's disease,"

My brother has Parkinson's Syndrome and he sings quite well.

However there is a technical note here.  There is no lab test for Parkinson's disease.  The doctors do not really know that Ms. Ronstadt has Parkinson's disease.  All they can diagnose is Parkinson's syndrome and strongly suspect the disease itself.

A positive diagnosis of the disease can only be done via autopsy.  For example, to this day it is not known if Mohammed Ali has Parkinson's Disease per se, or "boxing-related parkinsonism".

Written By: Katluver on 08/24/13 at 5:50 pm

:(

Her music was a little bit before my time, but I enjoyed listening to quite a few of her songs. Sad news to hear.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/25/13 at 3:23 am

Very sad news :(

Not really one of her most well-known songs, but I love this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1zpAWbC6Q

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/13 at 1:34 pm

Yeah, it's really sad news.  Such a beautiful voice and a dynamic performer.  Heck, she even worked with one of my favorite composers, Philip Glass! 

The God-given gifts we get don't last forever.  We're all mortal.  Sooner or later our bodies breakdown and we die.  Linda does have a giant catalog of recorded works we can enjoy for a lifetime to come.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/13 at 3:37 pm

This is really sad, just awful.

And I don't know much about Parkinson's Disease but I'm hoping there is some kind of treatment for it.

I certainly hope so.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/13 at 3:40 pm

Yeah, it's really sad news.  Such a beautiful voice and a dynamic performer.  Heck, she even worked with one of my favorite composers, Philip Glass! 

The God-given gifts we get don't last forever.  We're all mortal.  Sooner or later our bodies breakdown and we die.  Linda does have a giant catalog of recorded works we can enjoy for a lifetime to come.

I think she also worked with Aaron Neville too If I can recall? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/25/13 at 6:45 pm

Plus she was SMOKIN hot back in the day.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/13 at 12:21 am

Plus she was SMOKIN hot back in the day.  :P

She sure was, LB, she sure was!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/35554279/Linda+Ronstadt.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/13 at 5:43 am

She sure was, LB, she sure was!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/39854115/Linda+Ronstadt+LindaRonstadt.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/26/13 at 6:57 am

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1881c4fd74aaa325606197e939a88fa36f154148/c=0-181-1884-1593&r=490x368/local/-/media/USATODAY/test/2013/08/23/1377296527000-AP-People-Linda-Ronstadt.jpg

This is her now.

Written By: warped on 08/27/13 at 6:22 am

I hope one day she gets into the rock and roll hall of fame. Donna Summer and Madonna, 2 people who have NOTHING TO DO WITH ROCK AND ROLL are in. C'mon hall of fame, wake up.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/13 at 6:53 am

I hope one day she gets into the rock and roll hall of fame. Donna Summer and Madonna, 2 people who have NOTHING TO DO WITH ROCK AND ROLL are in. C'mon hall of fame, wake up.

She deserves it. :)

Written By: warped on 09/16/13 at 6:03 pm

Linda's interview with Diane Sawyer, Sept 13th, talks about her parkinson's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BarcIuIEsKk

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 7:25 pm

Linda's interview with Diane Sawyer, Sept 13th, talks about her parkinson's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BarcIuIEsKk

very nice.

Check for new replies or respond here...