inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Mariah Carey ever have another number one song/single?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 1:59 pm

Here are her 18 number songs and their release years.

Vision of love (1990)
Love takes time (1990)
Someday (1991)
I don't wanna cry (1991)
Emotions (1991)
I'll be there (1992)
Dream lover (1993)
Hero (1993)
Fantasy (1995)
One sweet day (1995)
Always be my baby (1996)
Honey (1997)
My All (1998)
Heartbreaker (1999)
Thank God I found you ft. 98 Degrees (2000)
We Belong Together (2005)
Don't Forget About Us (2006)
Touch My Body (2008)

If she has three more number ones, she'll beat The Beatles. :D

Subject: Re: Will Mariah Carey ever have another number one song/single?

Written By: warped on 08/31/13 at 2:19 pm

I didn't know she was only  a couple of 'number ones' behind the Beatles. Impressive.

Its kind of hard for me to put Mariah Carey and the Beatles in the same sentence though. Hard for me to imagine that.

I don't really pay attention much to 'number ones' but I am guessing that Paul McCartney (his work with the Beatles, Wings and Solo) is probably at the top. I imagine Elvis Presley is up there near the top too.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/31/13 at 2:21 pm

Probably not. Her most recent single made it to #15 but the rest of her singles in the '10s either didn't chart at all or peaked at exactly #100. By the time she releases another album, she'll be well into her mid-40s. It's rare for women that old to hit number one (Cher and Grace Slick are exceptions that come to mind).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 2:51 pm

I didn't know she was only  a couple of 'number ones' behind the Beatles. Impressive.

Its kind of hard for me to put Mariah Carey and the Beatles in the same sentence though. Hard for me to imagine that.

I don't really pay attention much to 'number ones' but I am guessing that Paul McCartney (his work with the Beatles, Wings and Solo) is probably at the top. I imagine Elvis Presley is up there near the top too.

It's hard for me to put The Beatles and Mariah Carey in the same sentence too. They're two different kinds of music. It could be worse, we could have Britney Spears with the second most number ones, but fortunately no!  8)

As for Elvis, he's had 17 number ones in the US.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 2:53 pm

Probably not. Her most recent single made it to #15 but the rest of her singles in the '10s either didn't chart at all or peaked at exactly #100. By the time she releases another album, she'll be well into her mid-40s. It's rare for women that old to hit number one (Cher and Grace Slick are exceptions that come to mind).

I can see Mariah having one more number one, and that's it.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/13 at 3:41 pm

I only remember her songs from 1990 and beyond.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/13 at 5:07 pm

Too much of a head case.  Writers and producers will channel their work to more reliable talent.

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/13 at 8:07 pm

I think her time is in the past.  If she ever does appear on a #1 song again, it would probably be a charity single or a duet with some "major" artist that is popular in the recent years

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 8:13 pm

I only remember her songs from 1990 and beyond.

So you know all her songs!!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 8:16 pm

This happens to all artists, the first 12 to 15 years they sell records like hotcakes!

Then bam. They realize they're overshadowed by younger acts.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/13 at 8:33 pm

This happens to all artists, the first 12 to 15 years they sell records like hotcakes!

Then bam. They realize they're overshadowed by younger acts.  :-\\

In the old days, it wouldn't have been like that.  As the times change, music styles do as well, and those once popular find themselves in the 99 cent bin

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 8:34 pm

In the old days, it wouldn't have been like that.  As the times change, music styles do as well, and those once popular find themselves in the 99 cent bin

So it was even worse in the olden days.

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/13 at 8:45 pm

So it was even worse in the olden days.

It was better in the olden days.  Artists could go years, even decades of constant Top 40 success.  To be fair though, back then, it was more about the singles than the albums, so an artist had a better chance at having a hit single and radio was a bigger medium than it is today, so artists had a wider chance to have more hits, more #1s

Written By: Jquar on 09/01/13 at 7:22 am

I think her time is in the past.  If she ever does appear on a #1 song again, it would probably be a charity single or a duet with some "major" artist that is popular in the recent years

I agree with this. The younger generation controls the pop charts and they're probably not going to go crazy over some new Mariah Carey album. If she gets to #1 again it'll be because she teamed up with One Direction or somebody.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/13 at 3:23 pm

So you know all her songs!!  ;D

just some.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/13 at 3:25 pm

This is because the new generation of artists will probably or most likely take over the spot of #1.

Check for new replies or respond here...