inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: And here is why I don't like fair rides

Written By: Dagwood on 09/08/13 at 7:47 pm

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130908/US-Festival-Accident/

It doesn't surprise me, the way they are taken down and put back together so much each year.  Those rides scare the crap out of me.

Subject: Re: And here is why I don't like fair rides

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/13 at 7:56 pm

Dang, I am surprised something like that is just happening now.  I used to be afraid of that swing ride for the very same reason that occured in norwalk

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/08/13 at 7:58 pm

I believe this happens more often than we think. It's quite scary. And I bet it's because they keep taking down the rides and moving them around everyplace. Who knows what that does, making them unsafe. The rides do not stay in one place all the time and are not secure. Doesn't surprise me either, but it is scary.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/13 at 6:37 am

I never went on any roller coaster but I used to go on the teacup ride where you go into this teacup shape with somebody and the ride swings in a wild direction, it goes slow at first but then after a minute you better hold on. :o

The bumper cars were a fun ride, you just had to make sure you don't crash.

Written By: Inertia on 09/09/13 at 6:46 am

Poor children. I have never had any kind of accident on a ride and I consider myself lucky.

I use to ride almost every kind of ride at amusement parks and fairs. Nowadays when I go, which is rare, I can't ride most of the attractions I use to when I was a teenager and child without pain. The last time I rode a roller coaster was in 2010. I was in excruciating pain the whole ride and had the worse kind of migraine when I got off. I have no desire to ride a wooden coaster again -- although I might consider a steel one. My brain felt like it was being ripped in halves the entire time! I'm not sure what caused it, but I'm not about to recreate the sensation.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/13 at 6:50 pm

I was in a slight amusement park ride accident once, but no one really noticed.  It was at Canada's Wonderland in Vaughn, Ontario (just north of Toronto).  It was a downhill waterslide that wasn't super big, but about the height of a 3 story apt building.  Just as I got close to the end of it, I fell over the side.  It wasn't that high up that I fell (it would be the same as if you fell off the top of a standard size car), but I still fell.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/13 at 7:31 pm

Poor children. I have never had any kind of accident on a ride and I consider myself lucky.

I use to ride almost every kind of ride at amusement parks and fairs. Nowadays when I go, which is rare, I can't ride most of the attractions I use to when I was a teenager and child without pain. The last time I rode a roller coaster was in 2010. I was in excruciating pain the whole ride and had the worse kind of migraine when I got off. I have no desire to ride a wooden coaster again -- although I might consider a steel one. My brain felt like it was being ripped in halves the entire time! I'm not sure what caused it, but I'm not about to recreate the sensation.

Did you get the feeling of vomiting afterwards when the ride was over?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/13 at 8:17 pm

There's lots of times I don't feel like I got a fair ride either!
8)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/13 at 8:24 pm

Little kid: "Look Bob, at those beautiful lights from the rides!"
Other kid: "Wow, you're right."
Little kid: "AAAAaaahhhh!!"
Other kid: "AAAAAaahhhhh!"

Written By: Howard on 09/11/13 at 7:20 am

What was the best and worst ride that you've been on?

Written By: Inertia on 09/11/13 at 7:28 am

Did you get the feeling of vomiting afterwards when the ride was over?

No. I have a high tolerance to nausea and motion sickness. I never feel the urge to vomit after any rides.

Written By: warped on 09/11/13 at 7:43 am

I was in a slight amusement park ride accident once, but no one really noticed.  It was at Canada's Wonderland in Vaughn, Ontario (just north of Toronto).  It was a downhill waterslide that wasn't super big, but about the height of a 3 story apt building.  Just as I got close to the end of it, I fell over the side.  It wasn't that high up that I fell (it would be the same as if you fell off the top of a standard size car), but I still fell.

I think I've been on that waterslide before. I like Canada's wonderland. I wish it had existed when I was in high school.

The best? This one at Canada's wonderland.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/9725060490_b888eb2956.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/11/13 at 8:00 am

No. I have a high tolerance to nausea and motion sickness. I never feel the urge to vomit after any rides.

How do you hold in the puke? ???

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/13 at 3:19 pm

YOUR MOM!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  You made it too easy :P

I think I've been on that waterslide before. I like Canada's wonderland. I wish it had existed when I was in high school.

The best? This one at Canada's wonderland.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/9725060490_b888eb2956.jpg

Is that the Vortex?  That's the only roller coaster by name I can remember being on at Canada's Wonderand.  Loved it so much, I was asked to leave cause I wouldn't get off lol

Written By: Inertia on 09/12/13 at 3:39 pm

How do you hold in the puke? ???

I mean I don't even feel the urge to puke at all. There is no holding it in or anything.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/13 at 10:50 pm

There's a difference between your amusement park rides, such as at Disney and Six Flags, which are permanent structures and get regular inspections, and your traveling carnival rides or "fair" rides, which are bolted together by hungover meth heads that morning!
:o

Written By: Howard on 09/13/13 at 3:23 pm

YOUR MOM!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  You made it too easy

That's ok, no offense taken.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/13/13 at 3:24 pm

I mean I don't even feel the urge to puke at all. There is no holding it in or anything.

Then you have a good stomach for roller coasters.

Written By: Katluver on 09/15/13 at 6:34 pm

There's a difference between your amusement park rides, such as at Disney and Six Flags, which are permanent structures and get regular inspections, and your traveling carnival rides or "fair" rides, which are bolted together by hungover meth heads that morning!
:o

that's probably true  :P

Written By: Katluver on 09/15/13 at 6:47 pm

Those swings remind me of a bad experience I had at Marine Land. I went there on a year-end field trip, and I remember I had a friend that dragged me to the swings. I remember that I kept spinning around in circles and going faster and faster! At one point I was scared of barfing all over the people below so I ended up covering my mouth. And to make matters worse, there were a group of boys that were around the same age watching the swings including me looking like I was about to hurl! Fortunately I managed to keep everything down but NEVER again will I go on those swings! Or spinning rides for that matter.

My favorite rides would be the bumper cards and the log-flume ride (or anything water related for that matter).

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 6:30 am

Those swings remind me of a bad experience I had at Marine Land. I went there on a year-end field trip, and I remember I had a friend that dragged me to the swings. I remember that I kept spinning around in circles and going faster and faster! At one point I was scared of barfing all over the people below so I ended up covering my mouth. And to make matters worse, there were a group of boys that were around the same age watching the swings including me looking like I was about to hurl! Fortunately I managed to keep everything down but NEVER again will I go on those swings! Or spinning rides for that matter.

My favorite rides would be the bumper cards and the log-flume ride (or anything water related for that matter).

I would've just barfed, there's no way I can hold in my vomit. Not ME! :P If you have to let it go then just do it and apologize later.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 6:32 am

I only go on the "safe" rides such as The Bumper Cars, Teacup, Merry Go Round & The Carousel that's basically it.

I can't remember this ride where you're in this spinning round circle and you're listening to music at the same time and it goes fast. ???

Written By: nally on 09/16/13 at 9:58 am

I can't remember this ride where you're in this spinning round circle and you're listening to music at the same time and it goes fast. ???

It's not a "mixer" is it?

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/GarbrickMerryMixer1.jpg

This is what comes to mind. In fact, I've heard it called by several different names, including "scrambler" and "twister".

Written By: Katluver on 09/16/13 at 1:27 pm

I would've just barfed, there's no way I can hold in my vomit. Not ME! :P If you have to let it go then just do it and apologize later.

Yeah, I can just imagine that---not only barfing on the people down below but also have the puke probably fly back at me.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 7:27 pm

This is what comes to mind. In fact, I've heard it called by several different names, including "scrambler" and "twister".

No, not the mixer. It's a ride where you're enclosed in a big round circle and it's playing music and you have flashing lights as well. ???

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 7:31 pm

Yeah, I can just imagine that---not only barfing on the people down below but also have the puke probably fly back at me.  ::)

puke can only go one way, that's down.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 7:32 pm

http://www.ride-extravaganza.com/assets/gravitron-dreamworld.jpg

Here it is I found it The Gravitron.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/16/13 at 8:28 pm

Now, I love the Gravitron.  Go figure. ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/17/13 at 6:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB4xFSiNqvU

These kids must be having fun.  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/17/13 at 2:41 pm

http://www.ride-extravaganza.com/assets/gravitron-dreamworld.jpg

Here it is I found it The Gravitron.

Oh yes...that's it. :) I've seen rides of that nature but never knew what they were called. Nor have I even been inside one.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/13 at 7:00 am

Has anyone experienced a roller coaster?

Written By: nally on 09/18/13 at 11:11 am

At theme parks, yes. But I have never gone on a loop-de-loop rollercoaster, nor do I ever intend to.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/13 at 1:01 pm

At theme parks, yes. But I have never gone on a loop-de-loop rollercoaster, nor do I ever intend to.

I never want to either, I get very queasy.  :P

Written By: warped on 09/18/13 at 1:36 pm

I have, as a teen. Great ride!. Back then, or as a kid until my 20s, I'd go on any ride. Loop-de-loop, blindfolded even, whatever. I was so there!
Loop de loop was awesome!

Now, I wouldn't dare go on there. Too old. I'd probably get a heart attack now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/13 at 9:57 pm

We used to ride the Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park in NH.  It's an old wooden one from the 1930s.  Boy, that was scary!  It doesn't look particularly impressive as coasters go, but the way the whole structure used to groan and sway like an old oak in a hurricane made me wanna pee my pants!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/photos/canobie/yankee2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 6:30 am

Now, I wouldn't dare go on there. Too old. I'd probably get a heart attack now.

I wouldn't go on one cause I get very scared.

Written By: nally on 09/19/13 at 4:47 pm

I never want to either, I get very queasy.  :P

Yep, the thought of going upside down on a ride never appealed to me. (I used to be afraid that I'd fall out...until I took a physics class.)

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/13 at 4:56 pm

I've rode many of them. My family use to go to a theme park every summer vacation. However, the wooden ones give me severe migranes nowadays though.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 7:25 pm

Yep, the thought of going upside down on a ride never appealed to me. (I used to be afraid that I'd fall out...until I took a physics class.)

and the stuff you see in the news where people fall out of roller coasters and die.  :o :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/13 at 9:38 pm

We used to ride the Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park in NH.  It's an old wooden one from the 1930s.  Boy, that was scary!  It doesn't look particularly impressive as coasters go, but the way the whole structure used to groan and sway like an old oak in a hurricane made me wanna pee my pants!

That looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

I love the modern coasters, a smooth ride through insanity and back.  I love the giant modern wooden coasters, that shake you half to death.  I still have a soft spot for ancient wooden coasters, though.  The g-forces are tame, the shaking is relatively mild, but you have to appreciate that the people who built these things were doing so without computers, without even slide rules, and they were building rides for an audience for whom 40 miles an hour was an appreciable factor of the top speed of a modern (late-20s Ford Model A) car.  If you can imagine strapping yourself into a present-day Formula 1 car and being taken as a passenger on a flat-out run through the Tail of the Dragon, that's what the old wooden coasters of the 20s and 30s were to your grandparents.

khRTNdEgZqg

Speaking of which, if I can ever afford to vacation in Dubai... well, that's not going to happen.  But this is what those 20s-30s coasters felt like to your grandparents.  And that is why they (the old coasters, and your grandparents) are awesome.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/19/13 at 10:15 pm

Five years ago I rode on a ride in Kansas City, Missouri a ride for four times straight, plus another ride or two, THEN my stomach started feeling things.  :( :(

Written By: nally on 09/19/13 at 10:26 pm

and the stuff you see in the news where people fall out of roller coasters and die.  :o :(

That's likely because they're not strapped in safely. Or something is mechanically wrong with the ride.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/20/13 at 2:11 pm

No, they are talking about the Himalaya- or at least thats what it's called at KY Kingdom. That tall tower in the pic of Canadian wonderland or whatever, we also had one of those called Hellavator, then Superman tower of power, some of you probably heard it lost a hydraulic cable and severed this girls feet as it dropped.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/20/13 at 2:24 pm

Never really rode them, never trusted them at Ky Kingdom]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Kingdom]Ky Kingdom because all of them with the exception of thunder run always broke down or got stuck. Sometimes stuck upside down. Someone was beheaded in the old Star Chaser that was a in-a-building coaster. Enterprise]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_%28ride%29]Enterprise was one of my favorites.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:20 pm

Five years ago I rode on a ride in Kansas City, Missouri a ride for four times straight, plus another ride or two, THEN my stomach started feeling things.  :( :(

four times? Wow! How did you feel afterwards?  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:23 pm

There's this ride where you're strapped in and it shoots you straight to the top then it drops down quickly? ???

Written By: Starde on 10/03/13 at 11:14 am

Yep. I've been to Disneyland a couple of times and Disney World once over a decade ago. When I was younger I used to love Splash Mountain, but holy crap I can no longer stand that drop at the end of the ride. Too steep. My favorite is probably Space Mountain at D-land (I still prefer the old one over the current one they have now). I can tell you this though: I will never go on Tower of Terror. Ever.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/13 at 1:18 pm

I can tell you this though: I will never go on Tower of Terror. Ever.

Why not?  ???

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/03/13 at 5:13 pm

About 5 or 6 years ago, my friend Stacie and I were almost killed by a Carnival ride.

I don't know what it's called in your town, but here we call it "The Spider"
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4816674039_514ac0de36.jpg
Every spring the fair comes to town and we go. So Stacie and I were on the main strip and she noticed the ride. She pulls my arm and says "Let's ride that! Michael Jackson has one!"
I was a damn fool,  and got on the ride. But once we went up in the air--for more people to get on--I got scared, she got scared and we yelled to get off. The man running the ride let us off and we did a walk of shame.
About two hours later, we were getting ready to leave. We had a few ride tickets left and Stacie suggested we go on The Spider again.
Again, like a damn fool, I got on. Stacie and I were together--2 to 3 people fit in a seat. Now I'd like to think that at nearly 300 pounds, at the time, I had a pretty snug fit. Stacie was considerably smaller, I'd say around 120. But she was packed snug to me.
The ride started and all hell broke loose.
I don't know what happened, but it felt like the harness was not secured at all. It literally felt like we were going to fly out of the ride. And there was nothing to catch us if we did. All I saw was parking lot and cars under us. And cement, lots of cement. I clung on for dear life.
I very vividly remember shouting out loud. "God, if you let me make it home to see my mama, I'll go to church on Sunday!" I also said a few Hail Mary's. I'm NOT Catholic.

I can't remember the last time  I  was that scared. I went to church that Sunday too.

Written By: Katluver on 10/04/13 at 10:46 am

About 5 or 6 years ago, my friend Stacie and I were almost killed by a Carnival ride.

Every spring the fair comes to town and we go. So Stacie and I were on the main strip and she noticed the ride. She pulls my arm and says "Let's ride that! Michael Jackson has one!"
I was a damn fool,  and got on the ride. But once we went up in the air--for more people to get on--I got scared, she got scared and we yelled to get off. The man running the ride let us off and we did a walk of shame.
About two hours later, we were getting ready to leave. We had a few ride tickets left and Stacie suggested we go on The Spider again.
Again, like a damn fool, I got on. Stacie and I were together--2 to 3 people fit in a seat. Now I'd like to think that at nearly 300 pounds, at the time, I had a pretty snug fit. Stacie was considerably smaller, I'd say around 120. But she was packed snug to me.
I don't know what happened, but it felt like the harness was not secured at all. It literally felt like we were going to fly out of the ride. And there was nothing to catch us if we did. All I saw was parking lot and cars under us. And cement, lots of cement. I clung on for dear life.
I very vividly remember shouting out loud. "God, if you let me make it home to see my mama, I'll go to church on Sunday!" I also said a few Hail Mary's. I'm NOT Catholic.

I can't remember the last time  I  was that scared. I went to church that Sunday too.

I remember seeing that ride. And people called it "The Spider" as well. I don't think I ever went on it since I'm not a huge fan of spinning rides.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 3:24 pm

I remember seeing that ride. And people called it "The Spider" as well. I don't think I ever went on it since I'm not a huge fan of spinning rides.

me neither, I get too dizzy and my head starts to spin around. :P

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 3:25 pm

some rides are just not secure enough.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/13 at 8:44 pm

"Let's ride that! Michael Jackson has one!"

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/axiemeluv/Smiley/bth_smiley_thumbs_up.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/06/13 at 3:30 pm

Does anyone like water rides?

Written By: nally on 10/06/13 at 4:15 pm

Yep. I've been to Disneyland a couple of times and Disney World once over a decade ago. When I was younger I used to love Splash Mountain, but holy crap I can no longer stand that drop at the end of the ride. Too steep.

I have never been on Splash Mountain, nor do I intend to. Ever since it opened in the late 80's, I've not had any desire to. Mainly due to that huge drop. I agree with you on your last statement.

Written By: nally on 10/06/13 at 4:17 pm

Does anyone like water rides?

Oh yes... but not the aforementioned Splash Mountain at Disneyland.

Written By: Katluver on 10/06/13 at 9:19 pm

I have never been on Splash Mountain, nor do I intend to. Ever since it opened in the late 80's, I've not had any desire to. Mainly due to that huge drop. I agree with you on your last statement.

Splash Mountain is actually one of my favorite rides---the only thing you have to worry about is getting wet, which is actually the best part for me since I love water rides.  :)

Space Mountain, on the other hand, I've been on it a couple of times but I don't think I'd go on it again because I don't like being swung around in the pitch dark.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/13 at 6:37 am

Oh yes... but not the aforementioned Splash Mountain at Disneyland.

I've been on water rides, they're very refreshing on a hot summer's day.

Written By: nally on 10/07/13 at 11:18 am

I've been on water rides, they're very refreshing on a hot summer's day.

I agree. O0 In fact, often times when I was growing up, I can remember going to certain theme parks on summer days, including Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm; both places have water rides that can inevitably soak you. In 1995 I went with my family to Magic Mountain on the last day of June; we went on the Jet Stream and Tidal Wave rides. I especially enjoyed Tidal Wave; it can even soak you if you're standing on the pedestrian bridge that overlooks it.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/07/13 at 10:06 pm

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/axiemeluv/Smiley/bth_smiley_thumbs_up.gif

We were silly. Our pattern of thinking literally was, "If Michael does something, so can we." But I assure you, Michael's 100 pound ass never went airborne over Neverland unless it was in a hot air balloon and if Stacie and I flew, we woulda met MJ in Heaven.  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/08/13 at 6:47 am

anyone ever been on The Merry Go Round?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/08/13 at 12:25 pm

Yes...I have.  :) And unless it goes wild like the one in Strangers on a Train, I won't fear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USekW1fpZVg
Leave it to Hitchcock to make this scary!

Written By: nally on 10/08/13 at 5:37 pm

I've been on several, whether they be at amusement parks or fairs/carnivals. I even went on an indoor one a few times when I was little.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/08/13 at 6:10 pm

Has anybody ridden this thing and can you tell me what its like?

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/power959.com/files/2013/02/Amusement-park-zero-gravity-Credit-g-monkey-Flickr-630x472.jpg

I've always wanted to ride it--there's a similar ride at the fair here--but it intimidates me. (I especially feel bad when I see kids young enough to be my children skipping towards it!)

Written By: Howard on 10/08/13 at 7:33 pm

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/power959.com/files/2013/02/Amusement-park-zero-gravity-Credit-g-monkey-Flickr-630x472.jpg

I've always wanted to ride it--there's a similar ride at the fair here--but it intimidates me. (I especially feel bad when I see kids young enough to be my children skipping towards it!)

I'm not sure what that is. I've seen it but not sure what you call it?  ???

Written By: Katluver on 10/08/13 at 8:04 pm

Yes, I think I've been on it a couple of times. Once when I was 8 in Toronto (I think we were at the Exhibition) and another time at Calaway Park when I visiting family out in Calgary at 17.

And because I don't like being spun around, especially going upside down, I had terrible experiences both times.

Written By: warped on 10/08/13 at 8:42 pm

I've been on this too, must have been back in the 1980s. It was alright, made me dizzy! I would never go on it now, but in my twenties it was OK. I think I tried every possible ride that existed back then  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/09/13 at 7:31 am

Let's see, I've been on The Bumper Cars, TeaCup, Merry Go Round, The Haunted House and some water rides.

Written By: nally on 10/09/13 at 1:55 pm

Let's see, I've been on The Bumper Cars, TeaCup, Merry Go Round, The Haunted House and some water rides.

I still enjoy the Bumper Cars.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/09/13 at 11:02 pm

I'll keep myself far from the spinny ride. And I hate bumper cars. I was the one kid that the operator had to help drive the car.  :-[

Written By: Howard on 10/10/13 at 7:06 am

I still enjoy the Bumper Cars.

I try to drive safely without bumping into anyone.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/10/13 at 7:46 am

I try to drive safely without bumping into anyone.

But the whole point of bumper cars is to bump into people.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/13 at 8:01 am

But the whole point of bumper cars is to bump into people.

I know it's for fun I just pretend to drive safely

Written By: Starde on 10/11/13 at 8:49 pm

Why not?  ???

I don't like the idea of being high up in the air, in a dark "elevator" and being dropped when I least expect it.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/12/13 at 12:56 pm

I don't like the idea of being high up in the air, in a dark "elevator" and being dropped when I least expect it.

I'm scared of heights. MJ nude, singing "You Are Not Alone" couldn't get me on that ride, unless he just want to sit in pee for a while!  :o

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 1:20 pm

I'm scared of heights.

I was afraid of heights for the longest time myself; for this reason, I never wanted to go on a ferris wheel...until I was about 9. But after I went on one (this was at a church carnival), I enjoyed the experience; as I got higher in the air, I was able to see quite a distance. And after I got off, I wanted to see about going on it again.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/13 at 4:20 pm

It's quite scary.

Check for new replies or respond here...