inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pirates sequel delayed beyond 2015

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/13 at 10:00 am

The next Pirates of the Caribbean film has been delayed beyond its planned 2015 release.

Disney's Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which sees Johnny Depp returning for his fifth appearance as Captain Jack Sparrow, was expected to go into production next year.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer told the Hollywood Reporter issues with the script and budget caused the delay.

He said he was now targeting a summer 2016 release.

"We have an outline everyone loves but the script is not done," Bruckheimer said, adding: "We want a script that everyone's signed off on and a budget that everyone's signed off on."

The delay follows the poor performance by Disney's much anticipated summer film The Lone Ranger, also starring Depp, which earned just $29m (£18m) in its opening weekend in the US.

The film, which reportedly cost $215m (£136m) to make, has grossed $243m (£154m) worldwide to date.

Disney warned the film would amount to losses of between $160m-$190m (£104m-£124m) after heavy spending on promotion failed to bring returns.

Bruckheimer said coming up with a great script was "always hard," and after this summer - which saw several blockbuster films perform poorly - "everybody's more cautious".

The most recent Pirates instalments, At World's End and On Stranger Tides, were both released in time for Memorial Day weekend in September 2007 and 2011.

Disney previously announced the fifth Pirates film will be directed by Kon-Tiki filmmakers Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg.

The four films in the franchise have grossed a combined total of $3.7bn (£2.3bn) worldwide, making Pirates Of The Caribbean the fifth biggest film franchise ever.

Subject: Re: Pirates sequel delayed beyond 2015

Written By: XYkid on 09/11/13 at 11:33 pm

Doesn't that film already have enough sequels?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/13 at 3:39 am

Doesn't that film already have enough sequels?
I gave up after the first film.

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/13 at 3:17 pm

I gave up after the first film.

As did I.  I never saw any of the others

Written By: Starde on 10/03/13 at 11:16 am

The first one was the best one. The franchise just got worse and worse with each sequel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/13 at 5:38 pm

The first one was the best one. The franchise just got worse and worse with each sequel.
I agree

Check for new replies or respond here...