inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Retro lifestyle?

Written By: the_jock on 10/08/13 at 2:36 am

Do you know someone that lives a retro lifestyle, e.g. having some 70's clothes or 70's/80's furniture, retro-styled (on purpose) houses, etc.? I thought by the 2010s people will have the freedom to dress how they like, yet we still conform to what is current now.

Subject: Re: Retro lifestyle?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/13 at 8:00 am

Personally no.

Written By: warped on 10/08/13 at 10:07 am

I don't know if I have a retro lifestyle or not. For 40 years now I have never cared about "the latest fashions" or "What's in and what's not" or what type of furniture is in now or clothing. I have never cared about that stuff. I wear what I want, I buy furniture I like and I never ever consider whether it's in style or not. Who cares?

I also have never been one to buy the latest gadgets and things like that. Someone gave me a laptop, so I use it. If I didn't have one I'd probably never post here. Someone gave me an ipod, otherwise I'd never buy one.  I hardly use it anyway.

I'm not someone who's into material possessions. Never have been. If my home I only had a bed and a radio, and enough food to eat, enough clothings to last a week before I did laundry, I'd survive for years.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/08/13 at 6:31 pm

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120411091630/glee/images/3/3d/Waving_person.gif

Me! I love the 80s, and any chance I figure I can get away with it, I'll wear something that evokes the era. Just today, I wore a Minnie Mouse sweatshirt, with black leggings and flats. It seemed mildly 80s to me, because I vaguely remembered wear a child-sized version when I was about 5. (Clothes came from Forever21.)
But at any given moment, if I'm playing music, it's not from people now, it from people back then. MJ, Prince, Mary Jane Girls, Apollonia, Morris Day, Guy, Jermaine Stewart, Jermaine Jackson...
That's what appeals to me. The 80s thing for me started as me hating I missed the best years of MJ's fame and then once I started watching films from then, I loved the clothing. The bright, loud colors, the big hair, the make up. The way it seemed almost like a costume it could get so crazy. It's fun for me sometimes. To slip on some bright colors or put on some bolder make up or make my hair big every so often. With the state of the world as it is, government shutdown, nuclear warheads aimed at us...it's nice sometimes to remember a time when things weren't so bad.
It's just where my interests are. The music was better, the whole clothes and scene seemed better. Even now, when I'm not looking at my OLD films, I indulge with 80s films. IT speaks to me and I feel more cone to it, than to this era I live in.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/13 at 7:31 pm

I don't know if I have a retro lifestyle or not. For 40 years now I have never cared about "the latest fashions" or "What's in and what's not" or what type of furniture is in now or clothing. I have never cared about that stuff. I wear what I want, I buy furniture I like and I never ever consider whether it's in style or not. Who cares?

I don't have a retro lifestyle myself, Who cares what's in or what's out, I wear what I want to wear whether people like it on me or not. It's my preference.

Written By: Katluver on 10/08/13 at 7:53 pm

I don't really follow trends myself; the last time I did that was probably when I was still in high school. I do wear a few current trends but that's only because I sometimes buy new items on sale at retailers. I often buy clothes and other items second hand---it's something that I love to do because it's like a treasure hunt plus it's still cheaper than if I bought it from even Wal-Mart. I recently bought a Tommy Hilfiger sweater (I'm actually wearing it now!)from a consignment shop that was reduced down to $10!!

Written By: Katluver on 10/08/13 at 8:18 pm

Do you know someone that lives a retro lifestyle, e.g. having some 70's clothes or 70's/80's furniture, retro-styled (on purpose) houses, etc.? I thought by the 2010s people will have the freedom to dress how they like, yet we still conform to what is current now.

That kind of reminds of the character, Vickie, from Reality Bites.

There's also Dollie DeVille:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTMzQc5Fmo

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/08/13 at 9:21 pm

I love that Dollie Deville lady. Would you believe my father had a fridge very similar to hers in our house, until I was about 13? His was white and my mom used to store extra kool aid in the bottom and meat in the freezer. Daddy also kept a 60s black and white TV until he could no longer locate a repairman.

I wish I could find a guy who would like to do the 80s thing with me. Maybe not to the extreme of those people, but it's nice to see someone else who enjoys that sort of retro living. (At least in an 80s house, we'd have a Nintendo or Atari! )

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/09/13 at 1:27 am

I wouldn't say that I sport a "retro" look.

But my polyester leisure suit is just so darned durable. Until it wears out I don't need to buy the latest fashion.

Written By: XYkid on 10/09/13 at 4:19 am

I don't necessarily lead a retro life technology wise. A lot of my clothing though wouldn't be out of place in the 80s or 90s though.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/13 at 7:27 am

I don't really follow trends myself; the last time I did that was probably when I was still in high school. I do wear a few current trends but that's only because I sometimes buy new items on sale at retailers. I often buy clothes and other items second hand---it's something that I love to do because it's like a treasure hunt plus it's still cheaper than if I bought it from even Wal-Mart. I recently bought a Tommy Hilfiger sweater (I'm actually wearing it now!)from a consignment shop that was reduced down to $10!!

Hey Kat, when I want to buy clothes I go to Burlington Coat Factory, Kohl's Sears, or Macy's and I find what's on sale. I dress to impress not for what's trendy.

Written By: Howard on 10/09/13 at 7:29 am

I wouldn't say that I sport a "retro" look.

But my polyester leisure suit is just so darned durable. Until it wears out I don't need to buy the latest fashion.

How much did you buy it for?

Written By: Katluver on 10/09/13 at 3:13 pm

I love that Dollie Deville lady. Would you believe my father had a fridge very similar to hers in our house, until I was about 13? His was white and my mom used to store extra kool aid in the bottom and meat in the freezer. Daddy also kept a 60s black and white TV until he could no longer locate a repairman.

I wish I could find a guy who would like to do the 80s thing with me. Maybe not to the extreme of those people, but it's nice to see someone else who enjoys that sort of retro living. (At least in an 80s house, we'd have a Nintendo or Atari! )

I'm normally into neutrals and muted colours when it comes to décor, but I do like Dollie's kitchen.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/09/13 at 6:26 pm

How much did you buy it for?

It was a high school graduation gift.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/13 at 7:08 am

trends are not really my thing to wear outside in public, just don't want to look a spectacle.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/02/13 at 1:06 pm

You've described me well! I don't own a smartphone, rarely text, don't use Twitter, own a VHS player that still plays many classics (plus tapes are real cheap to own), a rotary telephone, a 1963 Wurlitzer Jukebox, lots of vinyl records, a CRT television, a portable cassette player, an Atari 2600, an NES, lots of vintage magazines from the early '90s on back, many vintage toys, and more.

Written By: Inertia on 12/02/13 at 1:11 pm

I'm never the first to buy a new gadget or console, but I don't consider myself to live a retro lifestyle. I wear, buy, and use whatever suits my fancy.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/05/13 at 11:58 am

I own an I-phone other than that my life is just retro.  I don't really give a crap about the latest trends in anything really.  :)

Written By: warped on 12/05/13 at 2:02 pm

I own an I-phone other than that my life is just retro.  I don't really give a crap about the latest trends in anything really.  :)

I don't even have an i phone, cell phone..don't even want one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/13 at 2:08 pm

I use my phone as a camera more than a phone.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/13 at 3:41 pm

you don't want any phone? So how do you talk to people in an emergency or such?  ???

Written By: warped on 12/05/13 at 3:52 pm

you don't want any phone? So how do you talk to people in an emergency or such?  ???

What kind of emergency, for instance? If I am at work, I use a phone at work. If I am at a friends place, I use their phone. Emergency from home, I use our land line.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/13 at 4:29 pm

What kind of emergency, for instance? If I am at work, I use a phone at work. If I am at a friends place, I use their phone. Emergency from home, I use our land line.

a fire? flood? house burnt down? whatever.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/05/13 at 4:39 pm

;D  Godzilla taking over the town? LMAO!

Written By: warped on 12/05/13 at 4:44 pm

Fire? I use my land line to call the fire department or pull the fire alarm in our building.
Flood? I live in a high rise
House burnt down? Pull the fire alarm. If house burns down while I am in it, how is a phone gonna help, unless I throw it at the fire  ;D

I'll just read a few decadeology topics to Godzilla. It would kill itself after listening to them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/13 at 5:39 pm

I guess you could say I am retro.  I do not have a VCR or DVD and my TV is a tube-type not a flat screen.  I figure why replace it if it still works?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/05/13 at 6:36 pm

With the state of the world as it is, government shutdown, nuclear warheads aimed at us...it's nice sometimes to remember a time when things weren't so bad.

I know this is an old post but we had that in the 80s as well.  Remember, this was the day of the Cold War.  U.S.S.R. was a major enemy, there was always the fear of nuclear war...weapons were pointed at us.  The Day After was a good example of the fears of the time.  We had government shutdowns.  The only difference between now and then is who has the warheads and who is shutting down the government.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:40 pm

You would have to use a payphone for that.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:41 pm

Fire? I use my land line to call the fire department or pull the fire alarm in our building.
Flood? I live in a high rise
House burnt down? Pull the fire alarm. If house burns down while I am in it, how is a phone gonna help, unless I throw it at the fire  ;D

go to the nearest payphone, I guess?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:42 pm

I guess you could say I am retro.  I do not have a VCR or DVD and my TV is a tube-type not a flat screen.  I figure why replace it if it still works?

Do you realize this is 2013?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/06/13 at 6:54 pm

Do you realize this is 2013?

Did I mention that I only have one phone at my house, and it is rotary-dial?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/07/13 at 3:03 am

Anyone have big hair like circa 1987??

Anyone, anyone?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/07/13 at 3:13 am

Same to me.

Plus - nowadays it's no problem to watch the program you want to on-line (or DVD) on your PC.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/13 at 3:55 pm

Did I mention that I only have one phone at my house, and it is rotary-dial?

Wow, way cool. Haven't seen a rotary dial phone in almost 30 years.  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/07/13 at 3:57 pm

Anyone, anyone?

I've seen some black guys with the afro hairdo going.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/07/13 at 10:50 pm

Society only wishes I would do that.  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/13 at 7:37 am

Anyone, anyone?

Not big but I still have the same hairstyle.  I have always had just long straight hair.  Never been on to curl or any of that stuff.  I would rather sleep later. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/13 at 9:11 am

I've seen some black guys with the afro hairdo going.

Yeah, I've seen a black guy my Senior year of high school (2006-2007) have an afro too. I even saw a white dude with an afro that year!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/13 at 9:12 am

Not big but I still have the same hairstyle.  I have always had just long straight hair.  Never been on to curl or any of that stuff.  I would rather sleep later. ;D

I saw a picture of Oprah in the late 80s, big BIG BIG hair!  8)

Written By: warped on 12/08/13 at 1:04 pm

Anyone, anyone?

Some of my clubbing friends had huge hair, and spent lots of time fixing it just right. I stayed away from that.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/08/13 at 2:43 pm

I want bigger hair, but i think I keep it toned down because I dont want people thinking I'm nuts, but in my heart, I want hair like Apollonia in Purple Rain. If I could, I'd live every day of my life dressing and walking around like an extra from that film.

http://actresspictures.co.uk/scansk/kotero/Apollonia%20Kotero43e.jpg

A tiny piece of me still dies when I think how she liked my picture--I think I posted it on here somewhere before-- when I went as her a few years ago for Halloween. She even commented on my facebook page. She's a cool person, wish more celebs were as nice as she is.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/13 at 3:16 pm

I want bigger hair, but i think I keep it toned down because I dont want people thinking I'm nuts, but in my heart, I want hair like Apollonia in Purple Rain. If I could, I'd live every day of my life dressing and walking around like an extra from that film.

http://actresspictures.co.uk/scansk/kotero/Apollonia%20Kotero43e.jpg

A tiny piece of me still dies when I think how she liked my picture--I think I posted it on here somewhere before-- when I went as her a few years ago for Halloween. She even commented on my facebook page. She's a cool person, wish more celebs were as nice as she is.

I remember seeing Apples as the May/June girl in the Ridgid Tool calendar for 1984.  She was a good choice for that calendar.  :P

Written By: Katluver on 12/08/13 at 3:37 pm

I've got an old school tv so my mom asks when I'm going to update to a flat-screen; I don't plan on upgrading until it breaks down on me...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/08/13 at 4:02 pm

I've got an old school tv so my mom asks when I'm going to update to a flat-screen; I don't plan on upgrading until it breaks down on me...

My father held onto a 1960s tv until the 1990s. I should know because it was the very first TV I had a child. It was years before i realzied mine showed in black ancd white and the newer one in my parents room showed color.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/13 at 4:22 pm

What about using a lot of hair spray like those valley girls did in the 80's? ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/08/13 at 4:22 pm

Yeah, I've seen a black guy my Senior year of high school (2006-2007) have an afro too. I even saw a white dude with an afro that year!

Did you notice what they were wearing?

Written By: Howard on 12/08/13 at 4:25 pm

I remember seeing Apples as the May/June girl in the Ridgid Tool calendar for 1984.  She was a good choice for that calendar.  :P

I was looking up to see what was Ridgid Tool and now I know...  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/08/13 at 4:27 pm

I still have a old CD player,it's been sitting in my drawers for almost 20 years.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/08/13 at 8:36 pm

I still have a old CD player,it's been sitting in my drawers for almost 20 years.

I have a boombox with potatoes growing on it now. And if I'm right, it was bought in 2000. (And hot damn if it doesn't still play!)  ;D

Written By: XYkid on 12/08/13 at 9:30 pm

I wish I still had my old discman my dad got me in 1999. It also came with FM radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/13 at 1:39 am

I play my CDs on the computer now.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/09/13 at 3:52 am

I play my CDs on the computer now.

Ditto.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:16 am

I have a boombox with potatoes growing on it now. And if I'm right, it was bought in 2000. (And hot damn if it doesn't still play!)  ;D

Don't you mean cobwebs?

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:17 am

I wish I still had my old discman my dad got me in 1999. It also came with FM radio.

cool.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/09/13 at 11:34 am

Ditto.

I copy CDs to my computer and store the original :)

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:49 pm

I miss those push button phones and the rotary dials from the 80's.

http://www.chicagonow.com/mars-venus-game/files/2013/11/rotary-phone.jpg

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5994203/il_fullxfull.323027200.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 7:05 am

I miss those push button phones and the rotary dials from the 80's.

http://www.chicagonow.com/mars-venus-game/files/2013/11/rotary-phone.jpg

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5994203/il_fullxfull.323027200.jpg
We still have push buttons on our phone.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 7:30 am

We still have push buttons on our phone.

what about rotary dial phones? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...