inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Netflix Beats HBO in Subscribers

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/21/13 at 12:56 pm

Streaming service Netflix Inc. is about to pass premium cable-TV network HBO in number of paid subscribers. After introducing popular and critically acclaimed original content like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, Netflix reached 30 million subscribers at the end of September. HBO, which has long dominated premium cable, has 28.7 million. Netflix isn’t slowing down either as more talks of original shows seems to get bigger.

Looks like we have our HBO of the 2010's. The other companies couldn't really keep up lol.
But if you think about it shows like Breaking Bad & The Walking Dead got all of their status
from people who saw it on Netflix. When these shows were not on Netflix people had no
clue how good they were. Tv consumption is changing to a more binge watching aspect.

Even with Smart Tvs being out and such don't be surprised if this becomes a trend.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Netflix Beats HBO in Subscribers

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/21/13 at 5:23 pm

Streaming service Netflix Inc. is about to pass premium cable-TV network HBO in number of paid subscribers. After introducing popular and critically acclaimed original content like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, Netflix reached 30 million subscribers at the end of September. HBO, which has long dominated premium cable, has 28.7 million. Netflix isn’t slowing down either as more talks of original shows seems to get bigger.

Looks like we have our HBO of the 2010's. The other companies couldn't really keep up lol.
But if you think about it shows like Breaking Bad & The Walking Dead got all of their status
from people who saw it on Netflix. When these shows were not on Netflix people had no
clue how good they were. Tv consumption is changing to a more binge watching aspect.

Even with Smart Tvs being out and such don't be surprised if this becomes a trend.

What do you think?

Netflix is awesome. I don't even have basic cable anymore and I have no desire of getting it. We've been getting hosed by the cable companies' business model for so long (especially how they make everyone pay for channels that maybe 5% of their subscribers actually watch) that I love having the option of telling them to go eff themselves.

Another thing that has hurt the cable companies IMO is when all the over-the-air broadcasters changed their signals from analog to digital. Prior to the switchover, one of the biggest reasons for getting cable was that the picture was crystal clear, whereas the old analog stations had lots of static or "snow" if you didn't live close enough to them. Now with digital HDTV it's either all or nothing. You either get a hi-def picture that's every bit as good as cable or you get no signal at all.

The only thing that's really keeping the cable companies alive anymore IMO is sports programming. Pretty much all the Division I athletic conferences in college sports have their own cable networks, which only come with their premium tier packages. I would love nothing more than to see Netflix and/or Hulu start up their own sports networks where you could purchase sporting events on demand. That would absolutely destroy TimeWarner and Comcast.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/21/13 at 5:31 pm

Netflix is awesome. I don't even have basic cable anymore and I have no desire of getting it. We've been getting hosed by the cable companies' business model for so long (especially how they make everyone pay for channels that maybe 5% of their subscribers actually watch) that I love having the option of telling them to go eff themselves.

Another thing that has hurt the cable companies IMO is when all the over-the-air broadcasters changed their signals from analog to digital. Prior to the switchover, one of the biggest reasons for getting cable was that the picture was crystal clear, whereas the old analog stations had lots of static or "snow" if you didn't live close enough to them. Now with digital HDTV it's either all or nothing. You either get a hi-def picture that's every bit as good as cable or you get no signal at all.

The only thing that's really keeping the cable companies alive anymore IMO is sports programming. Pretty much all the Division I athletic conferences in college sports have their own cable networks, which only come with their premium tier packages. I would love nothing more than to see Netflix and/or Hulu start up their own sports networks where you could purchase sporting events on demand. That would absolutely destroy TimeWarner and Comcast.

It really is the 21st century. I mean Blockbuster will only have like 50+ stores left in 2014, now Netflix beats HBO. 21st century? Yup, sounds like it to me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/13 at 6:03 pm

I have never subscribed to either.  :-[

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/13 at 2:41 am

I have never had cable, just the antenna on the roof.  I got Netflix when they started, and now get just the live streaming.  All I want and all I need.  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/22/13 at 7:16 am

It really is the 21st century. I mean Blockbuster will only have like 50+ stores left in 2014, now Netflix beats HBO. 21st century? Yup, sounds like it to me.

It is quite fascinating to see how this technology is advancing before our very eyes.

I have never had cable, just the antenna on the roof.  I got Netflix when they started, and now get just the live streaming.  All I want and all I need.  ;)

Do any of your local over-the-air stations carry Antenna or MeTV? I just get MeTV, but if I still had even the slightest desire to go back to cable, that absolute gem of a channel killed it off.  ;)

Written By: popguru85 on 11/22/13 at 2:50 pm

Wow, I thought this would happen years from now.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/13 at 4:05 pm

Blockbuster is going out of business and Netflix is on their way up.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/13 at 4:07 pm

Netflix,Hulu and Redbox are the ways of the future.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/26/13 at 12:54 pm

Wow, I thought this would happen years from now.

Cable is unreliable, I have Comcast and every day or week or so
there is 1 channel they take away from me and replace it with another bullsheesh
channel. The cable box they gave me frequently stops working and i have to call
comcast to fix the signal. It is so unprofessional. One day channel 55 will be there
next day comcast will move it to a new their of service. It is terrible.

Netflix is way more reliable.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/13 at 5:02 pm

Cable is unreliable, I have Comcast and every day or week or so
there is 1 channel they take away from me and replace it with another bullsheesh
channel. The cable box they gave me frequently stops working and i have to call
comcast to fix the signal. It is so unprofessional. One day channel 55 will be there
next day comcast will move it to a new their of service. It is terrible.

Netflix is way more reliable.

My Father has Netflix, just way too many movies to watch.

Check for new replies or respond here...