inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/17/13 at 6:30 am

2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Calling Dr. Love! Kiss is set to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, alongside other new inductees Nirvana, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens.

unlike a lot of previous years... this looks like a hell of a year.

Subject: Re: 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Written By: warped on 12/17/13 at 6:56 am

2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Calling Dr. Love! Kiss is set to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, alongside other new inductees Nirvana, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens.

unlike a lot of previous years... this looks like a hell of a year.

I am so glad for Linda Ronstadt. She has one of the most beautiful voices ever, and her work in the 70s is more than enough to get her in. She is going through a tough time with Parkinson's right now...and I kinda hope her backup band (The Eagles before they became famous) can induct her in.

I am also glad for Peter Gabriel, really like his music and it's great he is in. 

It is a good year. It is a Rock an Roll hall of fame and I they got it right this year...all are rock and roll acts.

Written By: Creeder on 12/17/13 at 10:26 am

Grunge is finally getting in the hall of fame.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/13 at 10:51 am

And STILL no Pat Benatar!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

I just can't believe that Nirvana would get in BEFORE Pat.

Quote from Wikipedia: During the 1980s, Benatar had two RIAA-certified Multi-Platinum albums, five RIAA-certified Platinum albums, three RIAA-certified Gold albums and 14 Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits, "Hit Me with Your Best Shot", "Love Is a Battlefield", "We Belong" and "Invincible"

Nirvana hasn't come even CLOSE to what Pat as done.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/13 at 1:25 pm

I was a little upset to see Nirvana in that chart.  I never really thought that band was much of anything.  They had a few hits, the lead singer killed himself, and now they are considered an important piece in musical history. 

Where is Pat Benatar indeed?  She belongs in there more than Nirvana does as she had music that everyone liked

Written By: warped on 12/17/13 at 2:02 pm

I know! Maybe it's a good sign that Linda Ronstadt got in. IMO she was the "sexy rock queen" from the early 1970s till about 1980 when he musical direction changed, and Pat Benatar took over from her till the mid 80s. I hope Pat gets in soon.

Quote from Wikipedia: During the 1980s, Benatar had two RIAA-certified Multi-Platinum albums, five RIAA-certified Platinum albums, three RIAA-certified Gold albums and 14 Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits, "Hit Me with Your Best Shot", "Love Is a Battlefield", "We Belong" and "Invincible"

I was a little upset to see Nirvana in that chart.  I never really thought that band was much of anything.  They had a few hits, the lead singer killed himself, and now they are considered an important piece in musical history. 

Where is Pat Benatar indeed?  She belongs in there more than Nirvana does as she had music that everyone liked

I never understood the appeal or Nirvana either, I never thought they were much of anything either, I never even heard of them until that guy died, but at least they play rock music. I have more issues with Donna (disco queen) Summer and Madonna (pop girl) being in the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Neither have much to do with Rock and Roll. Open up a "Disco" or "Pop music" hall of fame, and put them in there. Otherwise the Rock and Roll hall of fame is a bit of a joke.

I am still waiting for the likes of Pat Benatar, Yes, Deep Purple, The Moody Blues, Supertramp,  E.L.O, E.L.P, Jethro Tull, Chicago, The Cars, Lou Reed and the Guess Who...to get in. Please correct me if any of those I mentioned are already in. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/13 at 2:29 pm

I know! Maybe it's a good sign that Linda Ronstadt got in. IMO she was the "sexy rock queen" from the early 1970s till about 1980 when he musical direction changed, and Pat Benatar told over from her till the mid 80s. I hope Pat gets in soon.

I never understood the appeal or Nirvana either, I never thought they were much of anything either, I never even heard of them until that guy died, but at least they play rock music. I have more issues with Donna (disco queen) Summer and Madonna (pop girl) being in the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Neither have much to do with Rock and Roll. Open up a "Disco" or "Pop music" hall of fame, and put them in there. Otherwise the Rock and Roll hall of fame is a bit of a joke.

I am still waiting for the likes of Pat Benatar, Yes, Deep Purple, The Moody Blues, Supertramp,  E.L.O, E.L.P, Jethro Tull, Chicago, The Cars, Lou Reed and the Guess Who...to get in. Please correct me if any of those I mentioned are already in.

All good choices and ALL deserve to be in the HoF more than Nirvana. BTW, I don't have a problem with either Donna Summer or Madonna in there.

Here is the entire list -starting with A.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/A/

Cat

Written By: popguru85 on 12/17/13 at 2:59 pm

It's a pretty stacked class this year. Still disappointed with Yes or Deep Purple getting snubbed.

Written By: gibbo on 12/17/13 at 4:27 pm

All good choices ... I can't believe that Chicago is not already in the Hall of Fame!  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 5:07 pm

All good choices ... I can't believe that Chicago is not already in the Hall of Fame!  :o

Chicago is a legendary band.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 5:10 pm

I am also glad for Peter Gabriel, really like his music and it's great he is in. 

I am glad too as well, Peter Gabriel has done a lot even overseas. His video are quite amazing.

Written By: warped on 12/17/13 at 6:13 pm

I am glad too as well, Peter Gabriel has done a lot even overseas. His video are quite amazing.

Since Peter is British, your reference to "overseas" must be America..or Canada.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/13 at 6:16 pm

And where the heck is Paul Rogers, one of the most instantly identifiable rock vocalists of the whole era?  His vocal performances in the band Free (All Right Now) and Bad Company (too many classics to name) are amongst the most timeless in the biz.

When Jim Morrison died, the rest of The Doors wanted Paul to come on as lead singer but he could not be reached and the opportunity passed.

It's a shame that he is not in the hall. Ditto for Mark Knopfler, guitarist par excellence.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/13 at 8:13 pm

And where the heck is Paul Rogers, one of the most instantly identifiable rock vocalists of the whole era?  His vocal performances in the band Free (All Right Now) and Bad Company (too many classics to name) are amongst the most timeless in the biz.

When Jim Morrison died, the rest of The Doors wanted Paul to come on as lead singer but he could not be reached and the opportunity passed.

It's a shame that he is not in the hall. Ditto for Mark Knopfler, guitarist par excellence.  8)

Rodgers would need to be inducted as a member of Free, Bad Company or even The Firm as his solo career was not well recognized (despite several albums he released as a solo performer).  Ditto for Knopfler with Dire Straits

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/13 at 10:05 pm

Cat

EXACTLY!  Pat belongs in the Hall of Fame. She has been going strong for 30 years or more.  Just saw her in concert in July, and she still sounds awesome.  Nirvana?  I just rolled my eyes.

I never could stand Nirvana.  I didn't think they were all that wonderful and they should not be in before Pat.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/13 at 7:22 am

Since Peter is British, your reference to "overseas" must be America..or Canada.

places like China, Japan, The U.K. & Switzerland

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/13 at 12:25 pm

EXACTLY!  Pat belongs in the Hall of Fame. She has been going strong for 30 years or more.  Just saw her in concert in July, and she still sounds awesome.  Nirvana?  I just rolled my eyes.

I never could stand Nirvana.  I didn't think they were all that wonderful and they should not be in before Pat.

Saw her a few years ago. I agree-she is still AWESOME!!!

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/13 at 4:08 pm

There are even more countries that qualify as overseas ....  ;)  But in terms of significant record sales and sheer numbers ... perhaps not.  :-\\

Written By: warped on 12/18/13 at 5:42 pm

There are even more countries that qualify as overseas ....  ;) 

Oh absolutely, but I was trying to pick Howard's brain at what he was getting to...when he meant "overseas" for Peter Gabriel, since Peter Gabriel is from the UK.  Since Howard is from NY, I thought he meant America.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/13 at 7:44 pm

Oh absolutely, but I was trying to pick Howard's brain at what he was getting to...when he meant "overseas" for Peter Gabriel, since Peter Gabriel is from the UK.  Since Howard is from NY, I thought he meant America.

I mean like different countries where he performs his music.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/13 at 7:46 pm

Pat Benatar should be in, not Nirvana. What has Nirvana done to get inducted into The Hall Of Fame?

Written By: warped on 12/30/13 at 7:56 pm

What has Nirvana done to get inducted into The Hall Of Fame?

They made 3 albums & their lead singer offed himself.   
There are people who love Nirvana, and people who hate Nirvana, it's like that with most artists. 
Pick any band or artist, hard to find anyone that every single person likes.

Do I think Nirvana belongs? Nope...but there are a dozen or so acts in there that I'd kick out first before I'd kick out Nirvana. At least they play "rock" music. Some artists in the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame have nothing to do with Rock and Roll.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/02/14 at 12:05 am

I'm still surprised that Tears For Fears aren't in there yet.  And a friend of mine has been complaining for years that the Cars aren't in there yet.  :( Styx isn't in there yet either.  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/02/14 at 6:24 pm

I'm still surprised that Tears For Fears aren't in there yet.  And a friend of mine has been complaining for years that the Cars aren't in there yet.  :( Styx isn't in there yet either.  :P

I also wonder why Chumbawamba is not yet in the hall.  Those guys owned 1997.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/18/14 at 8:34 pm

I also wonder why Chumbawamba is not yet in the hall.  Those guys owned 1997.

I don't think they're eligible yet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/14 at 10:58 am

I don't think they're eligible yet.

They've been around since 1982. That ought to make them eligible.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/14 at 1:17 pm

What about for the 2015 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?

Check for new replies or respond here...