inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The end of Social Media is coming at the end of this decade.

Written By: TimeWarp on 12/21/13 at 7:11 pm

We have Foursquare,Pintrest,Facebook,Snapchat,Twitter,NewMyspace,Vine,instagram,Kik,tumblr,etc etc etc

At the end of this decade social media will become the LOL " Did I use that?"

Facebooks user demos is decreasing every year, Teens were polled recently whether Facebook
was cool or not and most of the teens replied with "it is for old people".

The internet & Youtube aren't going anywhere,however all of these social networks
will end up in the trash. Alot of social networks are just useless words with no real
substance behind it. There is already a growing angst against social networking.
Facebook is ingrained into our culture however that doesn't mean it won't go the way
of AOL AIM. This year in I have been seeing people delete their facebook one
by one. It is becoming a trend.

Subject: Re: The end of Social Media is coming at the end of this decade.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/21/13 at 8:16 pm

And being replaced by what. Something as innovative and massive as the whole social media industry doesn't just die without something replacing it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/13 at 9:09 pm

I think you're right.  Social media is yesterday's dirty socks.

Written By: Social Steve on 12/21/13 at 9:32 pm

And being replaced by what. Something as innovative and massive as the whole social media industry doesn't just die without something replacing it.

Be replaced by talking to people the "old-fashioned" way. Or talking to people through websites (like blog websites that allow comments).

Written By: RG1995 on 12/22/13 at 12:16 am

Be replaced by talking to people the "old-fashioned" way. Or talking to people through websites (like blog websites that allow comments).
The point of social media is the social aspect of it. There is nothing that "social" about blogs.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/13 at 6:58 am

I think you're right.  Social media is yesterday's dirty socks.

So what will people use?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/22/13 at 8:36 am

They'll actually visit each other in their homes or at parties, outings, etc.  And talk face to face.

Written By: Social Steve on 12/22/13 at 12:52 pm

The point of social media is the social aspect of it. There is nothing that "social" about blogs.

If someone makes a blog post and people leave comments, it can be social.  How would that be any less "social" than someone making a Facebook status and people replying to it?

Written By: RG1995 on 12/22/13 at 3:10 pm

If someone makes a blog post and people leave comments, it can be social.  How would that be any less "social" than someone making a Facebook status and people replying to it?
Because Facebook is designed for that. Blogs are not nearly as interactive as Facebook.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/13 at 7:16 pm

They'll actually visit each other in their homes or at parties, outings, etc.  And talk face to face.

just like how we used to do it. That was our social media of the 1980's.

Written By: Social Steve on 12/22/13 at 11:40 pm

Because Facebook is designed for that. Blogs are not nearly as interactive as Facebook.

In 2013, they may not be. But in the following years, blogs could go through a form of "upgrade" to make them interactive like Facebook.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/13 at 6:37 am

In 2013, they may not be. But in the following years, blogs could go through a form of "upgrade" to make them interactive like Facebook.

What do you talk about in blogs?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/23/13 at 8:48 am

Social media will become obsolete once they invent teleportation devices so you can meet anyone in the world face-to-face.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/13 at 7:23 pm

Social media will become obsolete once they invent teleportation devices so you can meet anyone in the world face-to-face.

Huh? Have I been asleep? When did this come about?  ???

Written By: Nosebone on 12/25/13 at 7:53 pm

Walkie Talkies

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/13 at 9:30 pm

"Don't believe everything your read on Facebook."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 7:10 am

"Don't believe everything your read on Facebook."

-- Abraham Lincoln

There was no Facebook in 1865.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 7:11 am

Walkie Talkies

That's one way.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/13 at 4:59 pm

Well here's your proof

http://www.overeasyplease.com/oep/2013/12/27/facebook-basically-dead-and-buried-among-teens-says-anthropologist/

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:18 pm

Well here's your proof

http://www.overeasyplease.com/oep/2013/12/27/facebook-basically-dead-and-buried-among-teens-says-anthropologist/

Wow, that's crazy.  :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 12:47 am

It's weird how I missed this thread since I signed up 3 years ago. OTT, I do agree that social media will come to an end since technology will improve overtime and that it won't be in use for social media. In addition to that, there's too many social sites that many people now have like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Google+ etc... which is absolutely too much for someone and will make folks have a social networking overload to the point where they will quit and not return.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/12/16 at 1:17 am

It's weird how I missed this thread since I signed up 3 years ago. OTT, I do agree that social media will come to an end since technology will improve overtime and that it won't be in use for social media. In addition to that, there's too many social sites that many people now have like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Google+ etc... which is absolutely too much for someone and will make folks have a social networking overload to the point where they will quit and not return.

The only thing that can really replace social media is something even more convenient...and thus probably even shallower. I can only hope the arc of digital advancement enters an uphill stride in the coming decade. More than ever, I want virtual worlds to become a thing, so that escapism is more beautifully colorful than ever before. I want to actually feel like I'm living in a world where I can be celebrated for being a feminine lesbian, rather than being invisible. Right now, the closest thing I have to that is my neighborhoods in The Sims 2.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 1:23 am

The only thing that can really replace social media is something even more convenient...and thus probably even shallower. I can only hope the arc of digital advancement enters an uphill stride in the coming decade. More than even, I want virtual worlds to become a thing, so that escapism is more beautifully colorful than ever before. I want to actually feel like I'm living in a world where I can be celebrated for being a feminine lesbian, rather than being invisible. Right now, the closest thing I have to that is my neighborhoods in The Sims 2.
Yeah, and that's going to take some more time since VR has to be tested first. But yeah, that would be awesome :D. The digital advancement is going to be hitting hard in the next decade.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/12/16 at 8:48 am

I think social media in it's current form will remain for the next several years, however I believe traditional websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, will experience a sharp decline in the next two or three years. By the start of the 2020's, I believe Facebook and Twitter will essentially become obsolete and outdated. With the number of revamps Facebook has had for it's Facebook profiles and pages in recent times, it surely must be a sign that Facebook is no longer as dominant as it once was and it is starting to decline.

In the 2020s, I believe social media will rely less on text messaging and more on "face-to-face" communication and voice recognition.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/16 at 8:55 am

I think social media in it's current form will remain for the next several years, however I believe traditional websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, will experience a sharp decline in the next two or three years. By the start of the 2020's, I believe Facebook and Twitter will essentially become obsolete and outdated. With the number of revamps Facebook has had for it's Facebook profiles and pages in recent times, it surely must be a sign that Facebook is no longer as dominant as it once was and it is starting to decline.

In the 2020s, I believe social media will rely less on text messaging and more on "face-to-face" communication and voice recognition.

So... what would replace Facebook and Twitter in the later 2010s and 2020s?

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 9:09 am

So... what would replace Facebook and Twitter in the later 2010s and 2020s?

I really don't know. ???

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 10:33 am

It will replaced by something else. Remember when MSN died? Sad times  :\'(

The only thing that can really replace social media is something even more convenient...and thus probably even shallower. I can only hope the arc of digital advancement enters an uphill stride in the coming decade. More than even, I want virtual worlds to become a thing, so that escapism is more beautifully colorful than ever before. I want to actually feel like I'm living in a world where I can be celebrated for being a feminine lesbian, rather than being invisible. Right now, the closest thing I have to that is my neighborhoods in The Sims 2.

If you want a virtual world chat room, then I recommend Habbo Hotel. Although in the 2000s it was mostly teens on there, I'm not sure if the audience grew with it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/16 at 10:59 am

It will replaced by something else. Remember when MSN died? Sad times  :\'(

Yeah. Those times in the mid 2000s were great with MSN. It made it better with Windows XP.

If you want a virtual world chat room, then I recommend Habbo Hotel. Although in the 2000s it was mostly teens on there, I'm not sure if the audience grew with it.

Nah, you should go on something like Kik or Skype, since it's way better than Habbo Hotel. It may not be like a chat room, but the experience with them are cool.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/16 at 11:54 am

Yeah, and that's going to take some more time since VR has to be tested first. But yeah, that would be awesome :D. The digital advancement is going to be hitting hard in the next decade.

Well it's done being tested. I had a VR headset for a year now. These virtual worlds already exist, you can see videos on YouTube of people using the Oculus Rift. It is still very primitive though.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/16 at 11:59 am

Social media isn't going anywhere. I don't believe that for one second. It's the most convenient thing for many reasons. I really don't see anything that can replace it within the next 5 years, certainly not face-to-face communication. That ship has sailed a long time ago. Web based social media may die soon and mobile social media may slowly fade out and be replaced with VR/AR, but it would still be considered social media, just a different platform and implementation. Social media has helped many people including artists like myself get their work recognized. It's extremely helpful for people with talent, or busy people who need fast connections. People who are shy in real life benefit from it as well. There are huge positives with social media and they definitely outweigh the negative in my opinion.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/16 at 11:59 am

The internet & Youtube aren't going anywhere,however all of these social networks
will end up in the trash. Alot of social networks are just useless words with no real
substance behind it. There is already a growing angst against social networking.
Facebook is ingrained into our culture however that doesn't mean it won't go the way
of AOL AIM. This year in I have been seeing people delete their facebook one
by one. It is becoming a trend.

YouTube IS a social media site.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 12:09 pm

Well it's done being tested. I had a VR headset for a year now. These virtual worlds already exist, you can see videos on YouTube of people using the Oculus Rift. It is still very primitive though.
Yeah, we won't truly see them take off until the next decade So, since you have a headset are you teleported into VR like you see in games?

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/16 at 12:11 pm

Yeah, we won't truly see them take off until the next decade So, since you have a headset are you teleported into VR like you see in games?

They've been around for a while, around 2 years already, and they're popular but the technology needs to improve a bit. Yeah it's a lot of fun!  :)

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 12:12 pm

Yeah. Those times in the mid 2000s were great with MSN. It made it better with Windows XP.

Nah, you should go on something like Kik or Skype, since it's way better than Habbo Hotel. It may not be like a chat room, but the experience with them are cool.

Kik and Skype don't have virtual worlds :s

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/16 at 12:13 pm

I remember I used to have Second Life a couple years ago. It was so boring though I had no idea what to do there except for trolling.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 12:16 pm

I remember I used to have Second Life a couple years ago. It was so boring though I had no idea what to do there except for trolling.  ;D

Oh yeah, I was about to mention that too. I played it in 2006 I think, it was pretty boring. I saw my cousin playing it a few months ago, IDK what he was doing there  ;D The game is boring... Like real life LOL

Remember PlayStation Home? A disaster that was  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/12/16 at 12:28 pm

Well, you could add some bots that are like virtual worlds on Skype.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/12/16 at 12:32 pm

Social media isn't going anywhere. I don't believe that for one second. It's the most convenient thing for many reasons. I really don't see anything that can replace it within the next 5 years, certainly not face-to-face communication. That ship has sailed a long time ago. Web based social media may die soon and mobile social media may slowly fade out and be replaced with VR/AR, but it would still be considered social media, just a different platform and implementation. Social media has helped many people including artists like myself get their work recognized. It's extremely helpful for people with talent, or busy people who need fast connections. People who are shy in real life benefit from it as well. There are huge positives with social media and they definitely outweigh the negative in my opinion.

I think there are far more negatives than positives, but since the technology is so convenient, it basically has a stranglehold on the world as we know it. It may be an easier way to promote things than what could be done in the past, but it also really fosters impulsive thought and sloth. Going by our current trajectory, we'll eventually become totally enslaved by social media; you can argue we already have been trapped in a figurative sense, but it'll only become worse the greater an influence it has on the matters of life. It destroys individuality not just by promoting conformist ideas across society, it also causes humans to rely less and less on their own actions and sense of judgment, making them pawns of the technology.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/12/16 at 12:35 pm

I think there are far more negatives than positives, but since the technology is so convenient, it basically has a stranglehold on the world as we know it. It may be an easier way to promote things than what could be done in the past, but it also really fosters impulsive thought and sloth. Going by our current trajectory, we'll eventually become totally enslaved by social media; you can argue we already have been trapped in a figurative sense, but it'll only become worse the greater an influence it has on the matters of life. It destroys individuality not just by promoting conformist ideas across society, it also causes humans to rely less and less on their own actions and sense of judgment, making them pawns of the technology.

I love social media. It's one of the best inventions in my opinion. Though admittedly I don't use the "hot" social media apps today like Snap Chat and Instagram. I don't like social media without a purpose. I love social media sites and apps that are useful to me and I really enjoy using like Periscope and Yik Yak.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 12:38 pm

Oh yeah, I was about to mention that too. I played it in 2006 I think, it was pretty boring. I saw my cousin playing it a few months ago, IDK what he was doing there  ;D The game is boring... Like real life LOL

Wait, you had it too? I had that myself. When I first went on PS home, I thought it was going be fun since you could interact with other people within the community, but it seems like it didn't take off well, so I stopped after my first year on it.

Agreed! Yeah, I want to see technology take off to where we can actually meet with each other and that it has nothing to do with social media. Right now, there's already too many social networking sites anyway and it's becoming a burden for alot of people. It may absolutely be convenient, but we are sure becoming slaves to it.

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 1:38 pm

Wait, you had it too? I had that myself. When I first went on PS home, I thought it was going be fun since you could interact with other people within the community, but it seems like it didn't take off well, so I stopped after my first year on it.

No, I only trolled Playstation fanboys online for hyping it up.  :-X They said it would save the PS3.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 3:15 pm

Does Kik still work? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 3:16 pm

YouTube IS a social media site.

We chat in there just like FaceBook does.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 3:17 pm

A few years ago I started using PlayStation Home to chat with people in a mall.

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/16 at 3:18 pm

A few years ago I started using PlayStation Home to chat with people in a mall.

It still exists?!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/16 at 3:24 pm

No, I only trolled Playstation fanboys online for hyping it up.  :-X They said it would save the PS3.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I guess I can say they were wrong.

It still exists?!
Yeah, I actually still have it too, but I don't go on it anymore.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/16 at 3:55 pm

It still exists?!

Yes I believe it still does, it's called Playstation Home, I don't really use it anymore.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/13/16 at 10:35 am

Agreed! Yeah, I want to see technology take off to where we can actually meet with each other and that it has nothing to do with social media. Right now, there's already too many social networking sites anyway and it's becoming a burden for alot of people. It may absolutely be convenient, but we are sure becoming slaves to it.

Especially that last part! Even texting becomes a bit much when the other person gets huffy when you don't text back as soon as they want. Nobody should live at someone else's beck and call all the time. Some of that social media isn't all that social if you're one who defines social as talking back and forth. Some of that stuff is designed more to talk at people than with people. Another part of the problem is bandwagon jumping and how bombarded we are with every latest app. At least before all this it was taken one at a time. There were blogs, then Myspace, then Facebook and Twitter, and now all the apps I can't even keep track of or care to download. I don't have time for it all and frankly I like when some time passes enough to have something worth talking about rather than passing around another meme instead of coming up with original content.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/20/16 at 1:13 am

Especially that last part! Even texting becomes a bit much when the other person gets huffy when you don't text back as soon as they want. Nobody should live at someone else's beck and call all the time. Some of that social media isn't all that social if you're one who defines social as talking back and forth. Some of that stuff is designed more to talk at people than with people. Another part of the problem is bandwagon jumping and how bombarded we are with every latest app. At least before all this it was taken one at a time. There were blogs, then Myspace, then Facebook and Twitter, and now all the apps I can't even keep track of or care to download. I don't have time for it all and frankly I like when some time passes enough to have something worth talking about rather than passing around another meme instead of coming up with original content.
Yeah, that too! I've had some friends wonder how come some of their other friends don't respond to their texts after 5 or 10 minutes? It's like we don't even value personal space anymore.

And yeah, I agree. I really thought that all these social sites would bring us together, but they're actually drifting people apart. Other than some folks abusing them and having thousands of "friends", how many people do we all truly talk to on social media?

Yeah, It's absolutely too much. Almost every site has an app these days and I honestly feel all this technology is more for the social networking crowd than for everyone. I mean, not everybody has a social media account and those who don't use them seem to get left out alot. Moreover, it seems that some forced to sign up for one and regret it when they didn't need it in the first place.

I really hope one day that technology advances to where it's truly a futuristic moment and not just for the social media crowd. This is exactly what Infinity and MusicGuy was talking about.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/21/16 at 10:54 am

Yeah, that too! I've had some friends wonder how come some of their other friends don't respond to their texts after 5 or 10 minutes? It's like we don't even value personal space anymore.

And yeah, I agree. I really thought that all these social sites would bring us together, but they're actually drifting people apart. Other than some folks abusing them and having thousands of "friends", how many people do we all truly talk to on social media?

Yeah, It's absolutely too much. Almost every site has an app these days and I honestly feel all this technology is more for the social networking crowd than for everyone. I mean, not everybody has a social media account and those who don't use them seem to get left out alot. Moreover, it seems that some forced to sign up for one and regret it when they didn't need it in the first place.

I really hope one day that technology advances to where it's truly a futuristic moment and not just for the social media crowd. This is exactly what Infinity and MusicGuy was talking about.

I like social media, but I like being social on my own time more. I've made people I really consider friends online, we've written back and forth through cards in the mail and talked on the phone, but can't see eachother because of the distance. It's wonderful how some actual friendships can form from a connection you make with the right people, even if so far away. On the rare occasion that happens it's more of a victory in my book than having hundreds of followers on social media.

I hope technology can advance in a way that has more of a positive effect on people instead of just being convenient.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/21/16 at 11:08 am

I like social media, but I like being social on my own time more. I've made people I really consider friends online, we've written back and forth through cards in the mail and talked on the phone, but can't see eachother because of the distance. It's wonderful how some actual friendships can form from a connection you make with the right people, even if so far away. On the rare occasion that happens it's more of a victory in my book than having hundreds of followers on social media.

I hope technology can advance in a way that has more of a positive effect on people instead of just being convenient.

Social media is one of the best inventions. It's very useful to have.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/16 at 2:52 pm

Social media is one of the best inventions. It's very useful to have.

I like it.

Written By: #Infinity on 08/26/16 at 9:29 pm

Oh my GOD, Facebook just degraded their news headlines box into nothing but a list of Twitter hashtags.  8-P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/16 at 9:31 pm

Oh my GOD, Facebook just degraded their news headlines box into nothing but a list of Twitter hashtags.  8-P

Facebook is basically like Twitter now, except it's occupied by your real-life friends and family members that you don't want to share your information to.

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 6:40 pm

Facebook is basically like Twitter now, except it's occupied by your real-life friends and family members that you don't want to share your information to.

I avoid "news" on Facebook. My friends and relatives have a high affinity for conspiracy theories and other strange news.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/16 at 6:45 pm

I avoid "news" on Facebook. My friends and relatives have a high affinity for conspiracy theories and other strange news.

This may be a bit embarrassing, but I have a friend who basically loves the Confederate flag (even though I don't hate him for that), and he probably supports Donald Trump with saying crap like the Clintons are crooked politicians. I don't get into politics with him, since he'll might make our friendship look bad. But yeah, it's kinda weird that you have to look at your relatives' conspiracy theories for politics.  :(

Written By: 2001 on 08/27/16 at 7:50 pm

This may be a bit embarrassing, but I have a friend who basically loves the Confederate flag (even though I don't hate him for that), and he probably supports Donald Trump with saying crap like the Clintons are crooked politicians. I don't get into politics with him, since he'll might make our friendship look bad. But yeah, it's kinda weird that you have to look at your relatives' conspiracy theories for politics.  :(

A New Yorker with a Confederate flag? What a wreck. I'd call him out, but IDK if you'd experience backlash or not.

The conspiracy theories aren't even that bad. I'd rather read about Monsanto kidnapping children than racist crap lol.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/27/16 at 7:52 pm

A New Yorker with a Confederate flag? What a wreck. I'd call him out, but IDK if you'd experience backlash or not.

Well, he didn't really live in New York. I forgot to mention that he was one of my Facebook friends. We actually met on the Internet.

The conspiracy theories aren't even that bad. I'd rather read about Monsanto kidnapping children than racist crap lol.

Oh, I didn't really expect that those conspiracy theories are made by white supremacists. I thought it was just conservative stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...