inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does this decade have its own identity yet?

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/26/13 at 1:01 pm

2014 is the middle of the 2010's decade. Usually this is the year the decades have their own identities different from the previous decade.

Do you think this decade has it's own feel and identity or is it too early still?

If it does have it's own identity, what makes it unique and different?

I hope it doesn't go into decadeology territory but a thread like this might be kind of difficult not to.

Subject: Re: Does this decade have its own identity yet?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/13 at 1:09 pm

2014 is the middle of the 2010's decade. Usually this is the year the decades have their own identities different from the previous decade.

Do you think this decade has it's own feel and identity or is it too early still?

If it does have it's own identity, what makes it unique and different?

I hope it doesn't go into decadeology territory but a thread like this might be kind of difficult not to.

This is the "iPhone and social media" decade.  That's how it feels here.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/26/13 at 1:59 pm

2014 is the middle of the 2010's decade.

No, it isn't. It isn't even 2014 yet.

Usually this is the year the decades have their own identities different from the previous decade.

What? This makes no sense. and even if I were inclined to debate this nonsense, which I'm not, how a time period feels is largely dependent on what people are basing their experiences upon (music, economy, politics, etc.) and if they were there, or just read or heard about it.

Too late. IBTL.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30874/1184887-ibtl_2.gif

Ant

Written By: Howard on 12/26/13 at 2:08 pm

I agree, It's the "social media" decade.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/26/13 at 2:29 pm

Hipster fashion
dubstep, dance pop
smartphones, tablets
Obama Administration

Things are different from how they were 10 years ago. Are things from this decade distinct enough that people will instantly be able to associate them with the 2010s years down the road? I don't know, it's obviously too early to tell since the decade isn't even halfway through. I think there is so much variety these days though that it will be hard to pin down any one fashion item, musical genre, technological device, etc. and say "that is so 2010s"

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/13 at 4:10 pm

It's the decade of shootings. At least once a week somebody is shooting somebody.  :-\\

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/26/13 at 6:28 pm

Hipster fashion
dubstep, dance pop
smartphones, tablets
Obama Administration

Things are different from how they were 10 years ago. Are things from this decade distinct enough that people will instantly be able to associate them with the 2010s years down the road? I don't know, it's obviously too early to tell since the decade isn't even halfway through. I think there is so much variety these days though that it will be hard to pin down any one fashion item, musical genre, technological device, etc. and say "that is so 2010s"

Thank you for this well-thought out response, not full of smartass remarks.  ;)

I agree. I think things like Obama, healthcare reform, and things like ipads will be associated with this decade in the future.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/13 at 7:06 pm

By 1993, most of the cultural feel of the 80s was gone! Just an example. By 1992 you could tell the cultural 80s was on its way out 100%, then came 1993. Of course the 1980s is strictly 1980 to 1989.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/13 at 7:11 pm

By 1993, most of the cultural feel of the 80s was gone! Just an example. By 1992 you could tell the cultural 80s was on its way out 100%, then came 1993. Of course the 1980s is strictly 1980 to 1989.

Ditto for the 2000's.  It's 2013 now, and there's nary a shred of 2000's feel left.  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/26/13 at 7:41 pm

Probably not since most people will identify the 10s with the latter part by 2023 or so.
It's the same with the 2000s which are not really associated with the earlier part nowadays - unfortunately.

Written By: costhiraius on 12/26/13 at 8:50 pm

From where I am it looks like a lot of 2000s stuff is dead or dying, I've seen lots of overalls on girls since I moved back here, they were nowhere in sight when I was here in April and May, there is also a few other 90s revival things present now as opposed to then.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/13 at 9:47 pm

I agree. I think things like Obama, healthcare reform, and things like ipads will be associated with this decade in the future.

It will be associated because it's HISTORY. It has nothing to do with the decade other than it occurred during it  ::)

This is a stupid discussion to have in 2014.  There's like 6 yrs left in the decade.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/13 at 9:50 pm

Too late. IBTL.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30874/1184887-ibtl_2.gif

Ant

I'm seriously thinking about.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/26/13 at 10:02 pm

I'm seriously thinking about.

I may as well get a shot in.

Decades have nothing to do with it.  Events do.  The "90s" (grunge, dot-com excess) ended with 9/11.  Up until that point, life was supposed to get better over the long term.  Sure, there were wars, but those wars had endings, and even the dot-com crash didn't throw that many people out of work.  (That crash sucked if you were in tech, but nobody outside of tech was affected, and most of the people in tech had a new job within a few months.)

The post-9/11 years changed that expectation; somehow we came to realize that everything wasn't just getting worse, it was supposed to get worse, and we should just get used to it.  Wars were permanent.  The economy turned into a series of bubbles, culminating in the Crash of 2008, which reinforced the notion that however hard you'd worked for your retirement, it could all go away in a month.  Didn't matter whether you were in real estate or banking, everybody got hit.

I think the present age started with 9/11.  I don't know where future historians will draw the line at its ending, or even if they'll draw a line.  If the wars end and the economy recovers, I'll call 2001-201? the generation who knew nothing other than war and economic crisis.  By the mid-2020s we'll have a good idea of whether 2001-201? were a temporary low point in western civilization before we turned things around, or the last chance we had to turn it around before we either devolved into tribalism or totalitarianism.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/26/13 at 10:12 pm

It will be associated because it's HISTORY. It has nothing to do with the decade other than it occurred during it  ::)

This is a stupid discussion to have in 2014.  There's like 6 yrs left in the decade.
I would like to explain my reasons for this thread but I'm not sure if I will be labeled "decadeologist" and treated like I'm stupid or something. But anyways...I know the decade is still young. My question is does this decade feel like its getting its own identity previous from the earlier decade. By 2004, the 90s were no longer relevant because so much had changed in that time span. The 00's had their own identity by that time. It's really not complicated to understand. Not sure why there is so much confusion.

Written By: TimeWarp on 12/26/13 at 10:23 pm

I would like to explain my reasons for this thread but I'm not sure if I will be labeled "decadeologist" and treated like I'm stupid or something. But anyways...I know the decade is still young. My question is does this decade feel like its getting its own identity previous from the earlier decade. By 2004, the 90s were no longer relevant because so much had changed in that time span. The 00's had their own identity by that time. It's really not complicated to understand. Not sure why there is so much confusion.

Ok let me shed some light on this.

Asap rocky, Kendrick Lamar & Drake are now to the 2010s  what  ja rule  50 cent was to the 2000s
The fashion is getting more early 90s and there is no trace of 80s fashion in any stores.

All of the major networks E!  Vh1  Nick Mtv Lifetime  have all changed their logos to reflect the new decade

The only thing 2000s about this decade is  maybe youtube and people who still have flip phones.

Materialism has stayed about the same tho

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/13 at 10:27 pm

I may as well get a shot in.

Decades have nothing to do with it.  Events do.  The "90s" (grunge, dot-com excess) ended with 9/11.  Up until that point, life was supposed to get better over the long term.  Sure, there were wars, but those wars had endings, and even the dot-com crash didn't throw that many people out of work.  (That crash sucked if you were in tech, but nobody outside of tech was affected, and most of the people in tech had a new job within a few months.)

The post-9/11 years changed that expectation; somehow we came to realize that everything wasn't just getting worse, it was supposed to get worse, and we should just get used to it.  Wars were permanent.  The economy turned into a series of bubbles, culminating in the Crash of 2008, which reinforced the notion that however hard you'd worked for your retirement, it could all go away in a month.  Didn't matter whether you were in real estate or banking, everybody got hit.

I think the present age started with 9/11.  I don't know where future historians will draw the line at its ending, or even if they'll draw a line.  If the wars end and the economy recovers, I'll call 2001-201? the generation who knew nothing other than war and economic crisis.  By the mid-2020s we'll have a good idea of whether 2001-201? were a temporary low point in western civilization before we turned things around, or the last chance we had to turn it around before we either devolved into tribalism or totalitarianism.

The 1980s and 1990s were so good, that sooner or later there had to be a time of stagnation. Okay, maybe not!  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/26/13 at 10:36 pm

I think what we're getting at is that the years don't matter as much as the event.  It won't be until a long time from now that someone says "the 00s" - and we don't know whether they'll mean "the dot-com years" or "the terrorism/war/depression years"...  "the 70s" doesn't really mean 1970-1979, it means "the years when disco was popular..."  The 80s were the synthpop/hair-metal/Reganite years.  The 90s were the grunge/dot-com years.  We don't yet know whether "the 00s" will refer to a few years from 2001-present that were notable for bling-oriented hip-hop, wars/economic instability, nor can we guess whether "the 10s" will ultimately refer to.

There's no point in mulling it over on a daily basis, but the end of the year is a reasonable time for reflection as to whether or not a cultural shift is in progress.  If nothing else, it affords all of us a time to look back at our past predictions and laugh at ourselves.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/13 at 10:43 pm

I don't think you are stupid but the subject matter is. Your generation is the only on so freaking obsessed with comparing decades and what each one means. Maybe some day we'll get it but really why. Obviously the previous decade is 'no longer relevant' because it's over. It got left in the previous decade. No matter how many ways you choose to micro analyze this that fact always remains the same.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/13 at 11:13 pm

I think what we're getting at is that the years don't matter as much as the event.  It won't be until a long time from now that someone says "the 00s" - and we don't know whether they'll mean "the dot-com years" or "the terrorism/war/depression years"...  "the 70s" doesn't really mean 1970-1979, it means "the years when disco was popular..."  The 80s were the synthpop/hair-metal/Reganite years.  The 90s were the grunge/dot-com years.  We don't yet know whether "the 00s" will refer to a few years from 2001-present that were notable for bling-oriented hip-hop, wars/economic instability, nor can we guess whether "the 10s" will ultimately refer to.

There's no point in mulling it over on a daily basis, but the end of the year is a reasonable time for reflection as to whether or not a cultural shift is in progress.  If nothing else, it affords all of us a time to look back at our past predictions and laugh at ourselves.

Well, people don't really mention the 1900s or 1910s decades much. They just mesh them together, calling them 'the early 20th century', or they call it the progressive era. Hell, some people even have forgotten what the progressive era was. People don't talk about the 1900s/1910s decades much, because there isn't a name for them, or a distinctive quality for them. They do mention WWI and horse carriages though!

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/26/13 at 11:53 pm

Well, people don't really mention the 1900s or 1910s decades much. They just mesh them together, calling them 'the early 20th century', or they call it the progressive era. Hell, some people even have forgotten what the progressive era was. People don't talk about the 1900s/1910s decades much, because there isn't a name for them, or a distinctive quality for them. They do mention WWI and horse carriages though!

There's also not many people left alive who remember those decades so figures they don't get discussed much :D
....Except these people.

On a more serious note, I think a big reason those decades don't get discussed much is because they didn't really have much of a pop culture, so there's not much to talk about except World War I like you said. The '20s came along and had the first pop culture explosion...jazz, flapper women, art deco, speakeasies, and just lots of social and technological changes in general. Then you have novels/films like The Great Gatsby that help immortalize that decade.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/27/13 at 12:03 am

There's also not many people left alive who remember those decades so figures they don't get discussed much :D
....Except these people.

On a more serious note, I think a big reason those decades don't get discussed much is because they didn't really have much of a pop culture, so there's not much to talk about except World War I like you said. The '20s came along and had the first pop culture explosion...jazz, flapper women, art deco, speakeasies, and just lots of social and technological changes in general. Then you have novels/films like The Great Gatsby that help immortalize that decade.

The Roaring 20's  :)

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/27/13 at 12:04 am

Maybe by 2015, we can better predict the "flavor" of this decade and what it is all about.  ;)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/27/13 at 12:14 am

The Roaring 20's  :)

Yes exactly

While we're still on the subject, it doesn't seem like the 1930s and '40s get discussed much outside the context of The Great Depression and World War II. However, every decade from the '50s through the '90s have distinct stereotypes and are discussed often.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:06 am

It's the decade of shootings. At least once a week somebody is shooting somebody.  :-\\

or once a month.  :(

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:09 am

Maybe by 2015, we can better predict the "flavor" of this decade and what it is all about.  ;)

just wait another year and a half.

Written By: Emman on 12/27/13 at 8:44 am

To me everything from '09 onwards has been somewhat distinct from the eariler '00s, personally think the 2010s have a hangover feel to them because of the economic crisis and the end of the long boom.

For now I would call the 2010s the EDM decade.

Written By: Emman on 12/27/13 at 8:58 am

Personally, the '00s to me is the time from 911 to the 2008 economic crisis, it was an era of decadence, celebrity scandal and obsession, southern rap, pop punk/emo, and the late part of the long boom. To me the end of the long boom was a significant even, it was the end of the socioeconomic period that began with Reagan, even 911 was not enough to end it, the post-2008 psychology is distinctly different from the preceding 25-30 years, the economy is still in deleveraging.

Written By: Emman on 12/27/13 at 9:06 am

Actually shootings are more infrequent than they were during the '70s through early '90s, the media just focuses more on that but most violent crime decreased quite dramatically in the past 20 years, crime rates have been so low that you'd have to go back to the 1950s/early 1960s to have a accurate comparison.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 5:23 pm

Actually shootings are more infrequent than they were during the '70s through early '90s, the media just focuses more on that but most violent crime decreased quite dramatically in the past 20 years, crime rates have been so low that you'd have to go back to the 1950s/early 1960s to have a accurate comparison.

Cool. I heard that somewhere too. It's just that the media is tricky.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 5:24 pm

What about the decade of the recession? It's going to last a long time I think. Hopefully by 2020 we're out of it!  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:15 pm

To me everything from '09 onwards has been somewhat distinct from the eariler '00s, personally think the 2010s have a hangover feel to them because of the economic crisis and the end of the long boom.

For now I would call the 2010s the EDM decade.

What does EDM stand for?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/27/13 at 7:16 pm

What about the decade of the recession? It's going to last a long time I think. Hopefully by 2020 we're out of it!  ???

I guess you would call that.

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/13 at 7:19 pm

This decade has a secret identity.  Why?  Because this topic is so dumb, it does not want to be known

Written By: warped on 12/27/13 at 7:23 pm

This decade has a secret identity.  Why?  Because this topic is so dumb, it does not want to be known

Your post reminds me of this:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/My_Secret_Identity.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/13 at 7:27 pm

"You never know what you'll see.  When you unlock a mystery"  LOVE that show!
Did you know Jerry O'Connell was the only main cast member not from Canada

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 8:17 pm

Finally.  Something worthwhile to discuss.

Is this show in DVD? I miss it.

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 8:17 pm

"You never know what you'll see.  When you unlock a mystery"  LOVE that show!

I did not know that. 

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/13 at 8:23 pm

Finally.  Something worthwhile to discuss.

Is this show in DVD? I miss it.

It is not.  Atleast not yet.  I really miss it as well
Christopher Bolton, the actor who played Kirk, Andrew's best friend made a bit of a small comeback in the 00s with a show for Canadian TV called Rent-A-Goalie that aired 3 seasons between 06-08.  To me, he will always be Kirk

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 8:31 pm

It is not.  Atleast not yet.  I really miss it as well
Christopher Bolton, the actor who played Kirk, Andrew's best friend made a bit of a small comeback in the 00s with a show for Canadian TV called Rent-A-Goalie that aired 3 seasons between 06-08.  To me, he will always be Kirk

You guys have some great shows that we never get to see. And when we do get a shot at them they are gone and rarely available again....ready or not comes to mind.

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 8:32 pm

You guys have some great shows that we never get to see. And when we do get a shot at them they are gone and rarely available again....ready or not comes to mind.

And Caitlin's Way....wasn't that Canadian too?

Written By: warped on 12/27/13 at 8:34 pm

I didn't know that either. I like Jerry O'Connell and Derek McGrath too. He was "Andy, Andy" on Cheers too and appeared in many Canadian commercials.

Written By: warped on 12/27/13 at 8:37 pm

"Ready or not" was a great show.  Busy and Amanda.

I don't know that one.

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 8:42 pm

"Ready or not" was a great show.  Busy and Amanda.

Fab, the actor who played Busy's brother, was on an ep of Buffy :-)

Caitlin's way was great...it was about a troubled girl who comes to live with her aunt & uncle and cousin griff

She basically doesn't fit in but falls in love with a horse and starts to soften her tough ways.  Think Jo Polnichek with a horse instead if a motorcycle  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 9:01 pm

I guess you would call that.

Call it, on the phone?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqIfOOQw_tf4B20dfkCerf7sXseJl8hI5D6FYs0sRk3lcxSAaZng

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 9:03 pm

Jerry O' Connell? Isn't that the dude from 1986's Stand by me??  :D :D :D

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 9:16 pm

Jerry O' Connell? Isn't that the dude from 1986's Stand by me??  :D :D :D

Yes. He was also in another great sci fi series....Sliders.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 9:21 pm

Yes. He was also in another great sci fi series....Sliders.

He was in Scream 2. Sidney's normal and non-psycho boyfriend. Unfortunately the killer got him.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 9:27 pm

He was in Scream 2. Sidney's normal and non-psycho boyfriend. Unfortunately the killer got him.  ::)

So was SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR!!!  8)

Written By: Emman on 12/27/13 at 9:50 pm

What does EDM stand for?  ???

It stands for electronic dance music, that's the moniker that's been used for the past 4 years or so.

In the '90s and earlier '00s people just tended to associate any kind of dance based electronic music as techno.

Written By: XYkid on 12/28/13 at 8:14 am

I think there is a distinct feel to this decade, even compared to 2009. For example, in 2009, only the wealthy had smartphones, it wasn't until 2010 or 2011 that everyone had them like they do today. Glam and crunk rap was popular through 2010, and emo was dead by 2010 as well. Songs like Thrift Shop and Royals would not be popular songs in in the 00s, because they are the antithesis of what hip hop stood for in the previous decade. People also aren't as paranoid about terrorism like in the 00s, and overall things are starting to feel more laid back and not as uptight as they were in the 00s.

Written By: all90swhiners on 12/28/13 at 9:00 am

Sorry all these stupid topics are created by 90s whining emo kids. We have no life. We need to fit in somewhere. We have no identity. A decade is no longer a 10-year span, but a set of dates made up by us because we enjoy discussing stupidity.

Where do I belong?
Help me!
What defining culture am I experiencing this very minute?
We believe 1954 belongs to the 1990s.
We believe the mid part of a the 2000s decade is January 2, 2000.
We believe the most important part of a decade is when we poop in our pants.
We will insert a few random dates and compare them and make them culturally relevant and discuss this stupidity for 25 pages. It's more important to us that being involved in politics or finding a job or getting out of our parents basement.
NOTHING is more important to us than comparing 1976 to 1998.
We are the FAIL generation.
We need meds badly.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/28/13 at 9:08 am

Sorry all these stupid topics are created by 90s whining emo kids. We have no life. We need to fit in somewhere. We have no identity. A decade is no longer a 10-year span, but a set of dates made up by us because we enjoy discussing stupidity.

Where do I belong?
Help me!
What defining culture am I experiencing this very minute?
We believe 1954 belongs to the 1990s.
We believe the mid part of a the 2000s decade is January 2, 2000.
We believe the most important part of a decade is when we poop in our pants.
We will insert a few random dates and compare them and make them culturally relevant and discuss this stupidity for 25 pages. It's more important to us that being involved in politics or finding a job or getting out of our parents basement.
NOTHING is more important to us than comparing 1976 to 1998.
We are the FAIL generation.
We need meds badly.
this is probably the stupidest post I've ever seen. You don't even have an account. Only lazy cowards hide behind the "guest" accounts.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/13 at 3:55 pm

Call it, on the phone?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqIfOOQw_tf4B20dfkCerf7sXseJl8hI5D6FYs0sRk3lcxSAaZng

I meant the decade of the recession.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/28/13 at 4:15 pm

I agree.
I don't get it. If this topic is so stupid, why even bother replying in the first place? New responses just keeps it at the top of this forum section. That just encourages more views and replies.

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/13 at 4:56 pm

Can't say as I know of Caitlin's Way.

I do rememer Ready or Not.  When it used to air, I always used to chuckle because Gerry Mendicino, the actor that played Busy's dad is well known to Canadian kids of the 80s as a host of a Children's TV show called Polka Dot Door

https://uploadvan.castingworkbook.com/Photo/MEN/5be19bb1-c988-4ead-b9e2-288ceca4c2b4/eaab87a1-bce0-4c84-be95-862ce83bab0e.jpg

Written By: TimeWarp on 12/28/13 at 6:48 pm

I think there is a distinct feel to this decade, even compared to 2009. For example, in 2009, only the wealthy had smartphones, it wasn't until 2010 or 2011 that everyone had them like they do today. Glam and crunk rap was popular through 2010, and emo was dead by 2010 as well. Songs like Thrift Shop and Royals would not be popular songs in in the 00s, because they are the antithesis of what hip hop stood for in the previous decade. People also aren't as paranoid about terrorism like in the 00s, and overall things are starting to feel more laid back and not as uptight as they were in the 00s.

things have a more laid back feel  indeed,  its not just cuz its the mid 2010s
its because every decade in the middle feels laid back for some reason

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/13 at 8:12 pm

things have a more laid back feel  indeed,  its not just cuz its the mid 2010s
its because every decade in the middle feels laid back for some reason

Laid Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8j2ej5jqQw

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/13 at 8:39 pm

Can't say as I know of Caitlin's Way.

I do rememer Ready or Not.  When it used to air, I always used to chuckle because Gerry Mendicino, the actor that played Busy's dad is well known to Canadian kids of the 80s as a host of a Children's TV show called Polka Dot Door

https://uploadvan.castingworkbook.com/Photo/MEN/5be19bb1-c988-4ead-b9e2-288ceca4c2b4/eaab87a1-bce0-4c84-be95-862ce83bab0e.jpg

That I did not know.

Maybe Caitlin's wY was an American show it just felt like a Canadian teen show.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 10:29 pm

This is the decade of deception. You've all deceived me!!!  >:( >:(  :(

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/13 at 12:52 am

I disagree, I think we will be moving out of that direction as the 2010's progress.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/13 at 12:53 am

These days the main thing that sets the decade apart is technology in my opinion. Flip-Phones are "so 2000's" while smartphones are 2010's.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/13 at 12:56 am

Probably not since most people will identify the 10s with the latter part by 2023 or so.
It's the same with the 2000s which are not really associated with the earlier part nowadays - unfortunately.

I associate the 2000's with the early part. I feel like a proud 00's kid being associated with walkman's, CRT's, Dial-Up and VCR's. I know many people associate that with the 90's but the truth is, it happened in the 2000's which means it is still part of the 2000's in my opinion.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/29/13 at 3:46 am

I feel like a proud 00's kid being associated with walkman's, CRT's, Dial-Up and VCR's. I know many people associate that with the 90's but the truth is, it happened in the 2000's which means it is still part of the 2000's in my opinion.

Yes, this stuff was there, but you can't leave out all the other technology which was also typical/available in the early 2000s: cellphones, digital cameras, high speed internet, dvd, flatscreens, mp3 players... and all this makes it different from the mid/late 90s.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/29/13 at 7:41 am

These days the main thing that sets the decade apart is technology in my opinion. Flip-Phones are "so 2000's" while smartphones are 2010's.

I had a flip phone in '95.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/29/13 at 12:19 pm

I had a flip phone in '95.

But flip phones were not "so '95" ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/29/13 at 12:56 pm

You can buy a fully-functioning GSM-band "brick phone" at eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-Classic-Mobile-Cellular-Retro-Vintage-Brick-Phone-/140403740286?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Operates on the modern cell phone bands, but has the look and feel of old reliable.  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/29/13 at 3:51 pm

You can buy a fully-functioning GSM-band "brick phone" at eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-Classic-Mobile-Cellular-Retro-Vintage-Brick-Phone-/140403740286?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Operates on the modern cell phone bands, but has the look and feel of old reliable.  8)

Wow, that's really cool.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/29/13 at 4:16 pm

Wow, that's really cool.  :)

Yeah.  I'd like to have one of those and then ride around town on the bus, talking on it.  Just to see the reaction of the other bus riders.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/29/13 at 4:51 pm

Yeah.  I'd like to have one of those and then ride around town on the bus, talking on it.  Just to see the reaction of the other bus riders.  ;D

They're going to say "the 80's called, they want their phone back".  ;D

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/29/13 at 6:25 pm

http://i42.tinypic.com/ayq7g4.png

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/29/13 at 6:29 pm

I think this decade will start having it own identity sometime next year since we are transitioning from the early part to the middle.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/29/13 at 6:32 pm

I think this decade will start having it own identity sometime next year since we are transitioning from the early part to the middle.

That's what I think too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/29/13 at 6:46 pm

Well we don't hit the middle until 2015, right? ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/29/13 at 7:06 pm

No, we hit the middle this upcoming year which is in 3 days. We will however, be in the second half of this decade after this upcoming year is over.

Written By: warped on 12/29/13 at 7:34 pm

Lots of people think "Disco" was the identity for the 1970s.  It didn't seen that way when I lived through it but when the younger people are asked to define the 1970s, they will answer "Disco". Disco did not even exist really until the mid 70s, I'm thinking it's better to wait until the end (or very close to the end) of the decade until you define it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/29/13 at 7:37 pm

Lots of people think "Disco" was the identity for the 1970s.  It didn't seen that way when I lived through it but when the younger people are asked to define the 1970s, they will answer "Disco". Disco did not even exist really until the mid 70s, I'm thinking it's better to wait until the end (or very close to the end) of the decade until you define it.

Disco was really only big from mid 1976 up until July 12, 1979, so I would not say that it defined the decade.

Written By: warped on 12/29/13 at 7:39 pm

Disco was really only big from mid 1976 up until July 12, 1979, so I would not say that it defined the decade.

I totally agree with you, but I have seen LOTS of posts in many threads of inthe00s where the younger people defined the 70s decade as "Disco". That's why I posted what I did.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/29/13 at 7:54 pm

Good point.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/30/13 at 7:00 am

exactly,June 2015.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/13 at 7:02 am

and then after that it became electronic disco funk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/13 at 7:03 am

Recession describes this decade so far.

Written By: whistledog on 12/30/13 at 7:18 pm

It's not high enough.  We took your topic and made it better

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/13 at 8:42 pm

It's not high enough.  We took your topic and made it better

People who do this are worse than the original posters. Stick to the original topic please. If you don't like it, don't post anything at all. If the topic violates the forum rules, then the mods will come and lock it. Simple as that.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/31/13 at 6:16 am

exactly,June 2015.

No, between Dec. 31st, 2014 and Jan. 1st, 2015.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/31/13 at 6:39 am

No. It's just very bland and depressing.

Written By: Myfirstmemoryisfrom1983 on 12/31/13 at 2:23 pm

I totally agree with you, but I have seen LOTS of posts in many threads of inthe00s where the younger people defined the 70s decade as "Disco". That's why I posted what I did.

Please tell us what is more "70s" than disco?

Written By: david_q_landers on 12/31/13 at 2:36 pm

are you whining again like the little baby you are?

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/31/13 at 2:46 pm

are you whining again like the little baby you are?
Are you trolling behind a veil of anonymity again? I think so.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/31/13 at 5:00 pm

Not yet.

Chinese Elvis has not yet surfaced.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/13 at 5:28 pm

Not yet.

Chinese Elvis has not yet surfaced.
Chinese Elvis on Facebook

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/13 at 6:25 pm

Leisure suits.  And porn filmed on 35mm stock.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/13 at 6:26 pm

Richard Nixon!

Written By: Jquar on 12/31/13 at 6:51 pm

The first Disco song to go #1 was 'Love Train' in 1973, the last Disco song to go #1 was 'Stars on 45' in the summer of 1981. From there Disco changed and morphed into New Wave and Freestyle, but the sound lingered for awhile.

I'd agree that Disco's peak was the late 70s, but it was definitely popular for longer than that. I'd say what people typically think of as the Disco Era spanned from 1973 to 1982.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/13 at 7:04 pm

The first Disco song to go #1 was 'Love Train' in 1973, the last Disco song to go #1 was 'Stars on 45' in the summer of 1981. From there Disco changed and morphed into New Wave and Freestyle, but the sound lingered for awhile.

I'd agree that Disco's peak was the late 70s, but it was definitely popular for longer than that. I'd say what people typically think of as the Disco Era spanned from 1973 to 1982.

"Disco Demolition Night" at Comiskey Park on 7/12/1979 is generally regarded as the official end of the disco era.  Wish I could have been there to participate in the mayhem.  ;D

Written By: Jquar on 12/31/13 at 7:16 pm

"Disco Demolition Night" at Comiskey Park on 7/12/1979 is generally regarded as the official end of the disco era.  Wish I could have been there to participate in the mayhem.  ;D

It might not have been really cool in social circles to like it after that time, but it was definitely still around and still charting.

Funkytown is an instantly recognizable Disco classic, and it hit #1 in May 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwopvwhqWqU

Written By: NotAMember on 01/01/14 at 12:13 pm

I'd say that the decade almost certainly has no identity yet. Nobody would've predicted 2009 in 2004 or 2003. In my opinion, there are really two "eras" since the 2000s: 2001-2007, the post-9/11 era, and 2008-now, the recession era.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 4:01 pm

Leisure suits.  And porn filmed on 35mm stock.

and platform shoes.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 4:02 pm

Richard Nixon!

Watergate!

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 4:03 pm

But why were they tired of Disco?

Written By: NotAMember on 01/01/14 at 4:10 pm

Watergate!

No, no! You have to apply the modern, post, Watergate-scandal "-gate" suffix! Thus, it is Watergategate.  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/14 at 4:16 pm

But why were they tired of Disco?

Because it sucked.  The organizer of DDN was a local DJ named Steve Dahl.  Steve's previous radio station fired him when they switched their format from rock to disco.  So he had an axe to grind and fed the "disco sux" movement.

Disco Demolition Night (DDN) was a joint promotion of Dahl's station and the Chicago White Sox.  If you brought a disco record (to be destroyed) you could get in and see the game for 98 cents!  :D

DDN was awesome.  They set a record for attendance at old Comiskey Park (estimates range from 60000 to 90000 in a park built for 44000) and when they piled up a ton of disco records in the outfield in between the games of the scheduled double header, and blew up the pile with explosives, the field itself was damaged.  Seven thousand rowdy fans stormed the field and ultimately the Chicago PD sent in a riot squad.  The Sox had to forfeit the second game (this is the last game ever forfeited in the American League).

At the end of it all, about 39 revelers were arrested and roughly 30 people were injured.  Years later, when Sox owner, the legendary Bill Veeck, sold the team, his son Mike (who was behind the DDN promotion) could not get a job in baseball.  ;D

At the time, pundits claimed that the Disco Sux movement was racist and/or anti-homosexual... but the bottom line is that Steve Dahl was simply pissed off that he lost his job due to disco.  And he extracted his revenge upon it.  8)

According to baseball analyst Jeremiah Graves, "To this day Disco Demolition Night stands in infamy as one of the most ill-advised promotions of all-time, but arguably one of the most successful as 30 years later we’re all still talking about it."  ;D  ;D

Written By: 19brandon90 on 01/01/14 at 6:01 pm

I'd say that the decade almost certainly has no identity yet. Nobody would've predicted 2009 in 2004 or 2003. In my opinion, there are really two "eras" since the 2000s: 2001-2007, the post-9/11 era, and 2008-now, the recession era.
I tend to agree with this. It looks like the worst of the recession is over. We are now in a process of recovery. The recession was at its worse late 2008 through 2010.

Written By: NotAMember on 01/02/14 at 8:53 pm

I tend to agree with this. It looks like the worst of the recession is over. We are now in a process of recovery. The recession was at its worse late 2008 through 2010.

The economy may be better now, but I'd say that the culture has been changed by the economy (for better or for worse).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/02/14 at 9:31 pm

The economy may be better now, but I'd say that the culture has been changed by the economy (for better or for worse).

What changes do you notice most?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/14 at 11:55 pm

Music isn't as good as it was say 1968, but it sure as hell is better than popular music circa 2006.

Written By: NotAMember on 01/03/14 at 12:36 am

What changes do you notice most?

I don't know if this is related to the economy, but lots of TV shows and movies are more "apocalyptic," for the lack of a better term. Additionally, there's a sentiment of distrust, especially of the wealthy. Lastly, the internet culture has changed a lot. Pre-recession, there was Myspace, and Facebook and Twitter were just used by early adopters. The only running jokes were Chuck Norris and Rickrolling. Now, there's a new meme or new "hit song" every 10 seconds.

Written By: NotAMember on 01/03/14 at 8:09 pm

I don't know if this is related to the economy, but lots of TV shows and movies are more "apocalyptic," for the lack of a better term. Additionally, there's a sentiment of distrust, especially of the wealthy. Lastly, the internet culture has changed a lot. Pre-recession, there was Myspace, and Facebook and Twitter were just used by early adopters. The only running jokes were Chuck Norris and Rickrolling. Now, there's a new meme or new "hit song" every 10 seconds.

But not to contradict myself, the 2010s don't have half the identity that the 2000s did, but then again, the mayans said the same thing about the 1890s ;D

Written By: NotAMember on 01/03/14 at 8:12 pm

But not to contradict myself, the 2010s don't have half the identity that the 2000s did, but then again, the mayans said the same thing about the 1890s ;D

Note from the NotAMember who wrote the post that this NotAMember doppelgänger replied to: the second NotAMember is not the first NotAMember. I am the first NotAMember, though.

Written By: NotAMember on 01/03/14 at 8:19 pm

Note from the NotAMember who wrote the post that this NotAMember doppelgänger replied to: the second NotAMember is not the first NotAMember. I am the first NotAMember, though.

But just to clarify things, I like talking to myself, but I find I am more talkative with myself than others. 

Written By: NotAMember on 01/03/14 at 8:21 pm

But just to clarify things, I like talking to myself, but I find I am more talkative with myself than others.

Keep it classy, clonesy.  8)

Written By: NotAMember on 01/03/14 at 9:33 pm

Music isn't as good as it was say 1968, but it sure as hell is better than popular music circa 2006.

I beg to disagree. While I agree that it's worse than 1968, I think that it's even worse now than in 2006.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 8:15 am

I think the first 4 days of 2014, though, have a better music vibe than the first 4 days of '68.  The first 4 days of '13 were more or less on par with the same period in '68.

Thoughts anyone?

Written By: Howard on 01/04/14 at 4:23 pm

then sign up as a member.

Written By: NotAMember on 01/05/14 at 5:20 pm

then sign up as a member.

No

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/14 at 4:19 pm

I beg to disagree. While I agree that it's worse than 1968, I think that it's even worse now than in 2006.

Nah, 2006 was the worst year of music, in my lifetime anyways.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/14 at 12:09 am

I left this open long enough.... Too long actually but I was trying to give these folks an outlet

It doesn't work obviously topic is now locked

You can thank NotAMember

Check for new replies or respond here...