inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So why is 2010s culture so blah and bland?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/04/14 at 11:45 am

One would think that the tension in the world would actually produce something interesting.

Subject: Re: So why is 2010s culture so blah and bland?

Written By: Uni on 01/04/14 at 12:31 pm

'10s culture isn't bland... it's just bad  :P

Written By: XYkid on 01/04/14 at 1:41 pm

Personally I'd rather have today's culture over 2008 or 2009, but it's still not as great as 2003 or 2004, at least in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/14 at 4:18 pm

What's so bland about it?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/05/14 at 7:42 am

What's so bland about it?

Nothing very interesting on the radio, no feeling of any cool pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/14 at 3:46 pm

Nothing very interesting on the radio, no feeling of any cool pop culture.

that's today's pop culture in 2014.

Written By: NotAMember on 01/05/14 at 5:21 pm

I wouldn't say the culture of this decade is blah and bland  It just hasn't formed it's own identity yet.  Once it does, it will value what a true decade should be!

Written By: costhiraius on 01/05/14 at 5:53 pm

I think it is starting to form because I see some of the identity of the decade appearing, the reappearance of 90s things overalls with a contemporary twist (shortalls) and Goth style clothing I haven't seen in ten years, among others (90s revival).

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/14 at 6:59 pm

I think it's partly because of this long ass recession we're in. God, is it really going to last another 5/6/7 years?  >:(

Written By: Emman on 01/06/14 at 1:08 am

I think it's partly because of this long ass recession we're in. God, is it really going to last another 5/6/7 years?  >:(

It's a energizer bunny recession, but seriously I think we're more in a lesser depression/deleveraging era.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/14 at 6:55 am

I hope not.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/14 at 7:17 am

It's a energizer bunny recession, but seriously I think we're more in a lesser depression/deleveraging era.

Like it goes on and on and on and on....?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/14 at 7:19 am

I hope not.

Me too.  :-\\

Written By: Fancy on 01/06/14 at 9:33 pm

I think this decade is having a difficult time standing on it's own due to general cultural stagnation and malaise.

Sure, new musical styles like Dubstep come about, but they are more "Flavor Genres" than movements.

To put it simply, we are living in a world that doesn't quite know how to sway with massive change.

Traditional entertainment tenets like published books, magazines, and newspapers, CD's DVD's, etc. are being phased out, but the need for entertainment is prevalent as ever.

This is very much the era of unclear change, economic grimness, and nostalgia worship.

You can see how those factors don't lend to an defined identity.

By 2017, I think the world will have a different feel to it.

There will be something. Whether it's a new genre of Rock, an original book series or movie, or some unforeseeable cultural movement, something will take shape.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/14 at 7:31 am

Maybe this culture needs more energy.

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/14 at 7:37 am

Maybe this culture needs more energy.

http://cdn.blisstree.com/files/2012/05/energy-drinks.jpg

Written By: sonikuu on 01/08/14 at 10:48 am

I wouldn't say it's blah and bland at all.  That is just your perception of it.  I remember threads (on this same forum actually) in the mid-00s saying that the 00s were blah, bland, etc.  Heck, there were people as late as 2004 saying that the 00s weren't that different from the 90s, a viewpoint that is ridiculous in retrospect.  That perception seems to have changed and whatever you think of the 00s, you can't deny it had its own identity.  The same is true for the 2010s.  You just don't realize it. 

Written By: bchris02 on 01/11/14 at 2:00 pm

'10s culture isn't bland... it's just bad  :P

People say that about every decade.  People said it about the '00s too.  Personally I don't care for today's music as much as a few years ago, but its probably because I am getting older as well.  Most people like what was popular between ages 16-24 their entire lives.  If I hear a song I have never heard of that came out in that era I almost immediately fall in love with it, but I can't seem to jive with today's music.

I would say '10s culture is more distinct from the '00s than the '00s were from the '90s.  The recession/election of Obama seemed to have changed the entire mood and zeitgeist in this country and it has not returned to the old way.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/14 at 2:27 pm

http://cdn.blisstree.com/files/2012/05/energy-drinks.jpg

;D ;D

Written By: XYkid on 01/11/14 at 3:01 pm

People say that about every decade.  People said it about the '00s too.  Personally I don't care for today's music as much as a few years ago, but its probably because I am getting older as well.  Most people like what was popular between ages 16-24 their entire lives.  If I hear a song I have never heard of that came out in that era I almost immediately fall in love with it, but I can't seem to jive with today's music.

I would say '10s culture is more distinct from the '00s than the '00s were from the '90s.  The recession/election of Obama seemed to have changed the entire mood and zeitgeist in this country and it has not returned to the old way.
I agree that the '10s are more distinct from the '00s in terms of culture. At the same time, most of '10s culture has been blatant modernisation of older stuff from the 1960s-90s. While we had this whole retro obsession start in the 2000s and even the 1990s in some cases, it seems like that's all culture is nowadays. I can't turn on the radio and hear a new song without thinking it sounds familiar to something that came out 10, 20, 30, maybe even 40 years ago. This is not necessarily a bad thing for me, as I have a fetish for retro culture, but I feel we should be building more of our own culture. Clothes in the 2000s were just old fashions watered down into a more modern style, but this decade's clothes is more like attempting to take the wackiest fashions of the past 50 or so years and put it into one style.

Written By: Emman on 01/12/14 at 12:29 pm

I think the dubstep sound is very unique to the 2010s, it is constantly used in tv commercials and shows to the point of over saturation, but there is also a lot of retromania, look at 2013's lame and failed attempt to stage a disco revival. From Blurred Lines Marvin Gaye ripoff, Bruno Mars and Chris Brown's imitation of Off The Wall/Thriller era MJ, to Daft Punk's uninspired, over indulgent RAM album(which they spent a load of money on, what a waste).

But the dubstep sound is probably one of the most distinct styles to emerge within the past 20-25 years.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/14 at 4:49 pm

It's not bland at all. There haven't been this many popular trends like Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, Fox Song, Twerking in like 15 years. It may be bad but not bland at all.

Written By: XYkid on 01/17/14 at 5:57 pm

I think the dubstep sound is very unique to the 2010s, it is constantly used in tv commercials and shows to the point of over saturation, but there is also a lot of retromania, look at 2013's lame and failed attempt to stage a disco revival. From Blurred Lines Marvin Gaye ripoff, Bruno Mars and Chris Brown's imitation of Off The Wall/Thriller era MJ, to Daft Punk's uninspired, over indulgent RAM album(which they spent a load of money on, what a waste).

But the dubstep sound is probably one of the most distinct styles to emerge within the past 20-25 years.
Dubstep is fading out of popularity though, right now.
Unlike Grunge or Punk Rock, Dubstep hasn't real started a movement or lifestyle like grunge did. I really can't recognise it as a new style or movement, especially since it's not something you would hear on mainstream radio (with the exception of watered down sampling).

Written By: Emman on 01/17/14 at 9:24 pm

Dubstep is fading out of popularity though, right now.
Unlike Grunge or Punk Rock, Dubstep hasn't real started a movement or lifestyle like grunge did. I really can't recognise it as a new style or movement, especially since it's not something you would hear on mainstream radio (with the exception of watered down sampling).

With punk, it was a genuinely new subculture but most of the music was based in '60s garage rock and glam rock was a precedent, it became a lot more musically innovative when it turned into post-punk.

With grunge it was not really a new subculture(it existed within alternative culture created by punk) and the music was incredibly derivative of '70s heavy rock, even the look and fashion of grunge is very unoriginal(lumberjack plaid, toned down hair metal look), I honestly can't see what the fuss was all about. The only thing it has going for it is that it further mainstreamed alternative rock but that was already going on before 1991.

With dubstep exists within the spectrum of EDM subculture and styles(which started with disco) but it least it is a distinctive sound, the music is more original and innovative than grunge or post-grunge, dubstep has had a very long gestation period of about 10-12 years before it become popular. 

Written By: Jquar on 01/18/14 at 3:50 am

Don't know if you can say that that failed. Those acts were all really big last year, for better or for worse. Daft Punk scored their biggest hit by far with Get Lucky.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/14 at 3:50 pm

It's not bland at all. There haven't been this many popular trends like Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, Fox Song, Twerking in like 15 years. It may be bad but not bland at all.

those are the things today's kids might like, not for us guys over the age of 40.

Written By: theeccentrist on 01/29/14 at 11:34 pm

Maybe it will look better in retrospect. I probably prefer the 10s to the second half of the 2000s though.

Check for new replies or respond here...